ADVERTISEMENT

CONCACAF: USA vs. Jamaica.....who ya got ?

Kbee3

Hall of Famer
Aug 23, 2002
Jamaica is sorta my home away from home, so I'd be rooting for them vs. anyone else.
But USA.....USA.....USA.
Sorry Reggae Boys.

Terrific goal by Jozy on the free kick.

1-0 at the half with Clint sitting on the bench.

Morris, starting in Dempsey's spot, fails to cover on a corner kick. Tied at 1.

Terrific goal by Jozy on the free kick.

1-0 at the half with Clint sitting on the bench.

It was a nice goal, but thought their keeper should've had it - he moved late and didn't get much height on his jump. Was a tough break for them losing their starting keeper 20 minutes in, after making two excellent saves in a row (best keeper in the tourney). We're dominating right now - let's hope we can punch one in.

Reactions: demauroj
Their backup keeper made a very nice save on Morris and then just made an incredible save on Dempsey's header.

Very satisfying to watch us win the Gold Cup! Altidore with an amazing strike on the free kick in the first half, and Morris with a perfectly placed cup winner. Quite a few guys looked strong tonight. Arena is off to a great start this time around. Congrats, team!

Reactions: cicero grimes
Americans need an American coach. Bringing back Arena was the perfect move at the perfect time.

Just looked it up ... great win and tourney (all wins and 1 tie) ... sad that I had no clue there was a tourney ... should have known :).

Where was Pulisic ?

None of the main European based players were involved in this. Expect to see them called in next month in preparation for the 9/1 WCQ in Harrison against Costa Rica. Depending on health, you'll likely see Pulisic, Wood, Brooks, Johnson, Yedlin and maybe Danny Williams.

My understanding is that the Gold Cup isn't considered a 'major' tournament and is typically used as an opportunity for the USMNT to evaluate players and test strategy/tactics in a run up to the World Cup qualifiers.

My understanding is that the Gold Cup isn't considered a 'major' tournament and is typically used as an opportunity for the USMNT to evaluate players and test strategy/tactics in a run up to the World Cup qualifiers.
The Gold Cup is certainly not at the level of Copa America or the Euro Cup but it is our confederation's championship and anytime we can win a tournament that Mexico is in, thats a big plus.
The one significant thing is that the winner of this Cup and the next one in a couple of years will play off for a spot in the next Confederation Cup which is a tune up at the site of the following year's World Cup (Qatar 2021). Of course if we win the next one then there would be no playoff. The Confederation Cup is a nice test against some good competition.
Arena certainly used this to audition prospects for the upcoming WC Qualifiers and the WC itself. Morris played himself into contention, Guzman not so much.

The Gold Cup is certainly not at the level of Copa America or the Euro Cup but it is our confederation's championship and anytime we can win a tournament that Mexico is in, thats a big plus.
The one significant thing is that the winner of this Cup and the next one in a couple of years will play off for a spot in the next Confederation Cup which is a tune up at the site of the following year's World Cup (Qatar 2021). Of course if we win the next one then there would be no playoff. The Confederation Cup is a nice test against some good competition.
Arena certainly used this to audition prospects for the upcoming WC Qualifiers and the WC itself. Morris played himself into contention, Guzman not so much.

BigLou - yes many people do not realize that this win was important with respect to us getting into the confederations cup. Always a good major tournament for the team a year before the World Cup.

I don't think you meant Guzman...who are you referring to?

Brad Guzan, goalie who was pulled after the first round. Poor showing in game 1.

Brad Guzan, goalie who was pulled after the first round. Poor showing in game 1.

Gotcha. Thanks.

He will def make the roster but i agree he doesnt play unless Howard is hurt.

Wonder if the young kid who just 'flipped' from Mexico will make the team. I don't know much about his game. I do know that our goalie situation is the most sketchy it's been in decades.

Jordan Morris needs to go to Europe. He took a long touch early on and nearly had his ankle broken. You can get away with that in MLS but he needs to learn to play faster which he'd get in Europe.

ADVERTISEMENT