ADVERTISEMENT

Conference tournament attendance

BoroKnight

All American
Mar 13, 2010
Anyone else see this?

https://www.nhregister.com/sports/a...Power-Five-on-conference-tourney-12758021.php

Not a cause for concern or anything obviously, but it is interesting. Big Ten had one sellout in seven sessions at MSG, Big East had three in five sessions. Funny, how that other conference some folks here call a dumpster fire, the much-maligned Big 12, was second in attendance among conference tournaments.

Of course, the top two conferences held their tournaments in traditional locations. I get why Delany wanted it, but I'm too much of a traditionalist to not want the ACC to usually be in Greensboro and the Big Ten to usually be in Chicago or Indy. Hell, I'm still disappointed the Ivy went to a tournament.

There are so many factors that go into this, I don't know how many conclusions can be drawn. There are a lot of factors that go into attendance. How much are tickets? What type of packages were offered? Is there a local team that is expected to make it to the final? How easy is to get to the games? How easy/hard is it to sell/buy tickets on secondary market? How much of attending has become a habit for fans? How many sessions are there? On what days? I wouldn't draw any conclusions about the Big 12 Tournament in Kansas City which they might as well call the Kansas Invitational. If they got knocked out early which is practically guaranteed to never happen there would've been plenty of empty seats regardless of whether Kansas fans had already gobbled them up in November.

And, of course, we all know the Big Ten Tournament being held in MSG was never about trying to sell the most tickets but expanding the brand beyond its traditional midwest footprint. I think being a week early, it kind of snuck up on people. If there were to hold it at MSG again in 5 years I think it would be an even bigger hit even if held a week early.

I think the ACC playing in the Barclays Center is not a great move. Sorry, I don't care how hip Brooklyn is supposed to be, that's not a destination spot for colllege hoops fans. It's not Manhattan. Maybe it's okay for the A-10 but to me it felt second rate compared to a tournament being played at the same time at MSG.

I've actually gone to the Ivy Finals the last two years and enjoyed both but I agree that it doesn't seem quite right that the Ivy now has one.

Reactions: higgins3
Like Colonel said, there are a lot of factors that go into this.

Weather during tournament,etc.

Another obvious one is the four BE teams(Nova,Prov,SHU,SJU) surrounding MSG, and only the one Big Ten team in Rutgers.

and yet when it comes to TV ratings:

"The Big East final (.9, 1.5M) ranked just seventh among conference championship games, trailing the ACC (2.0, 3.4M), Big Ten (2.0, 3.2M), Big 12 (1.7, 2.9M), SEC (1.5, 2.6M), American Athletic (1.4, 2.1M) and — head-to-head — the Mountain West (1.0, 1.6M). It did beat the Pac-12 Tournament final on FS1, which had a mere 0.35 and 612,000."

There are so many factors that go into this, I don't know how many conclusions can be drawn. There are a lot of factors that go into attendance. How much are tickets? What type of packages were offered? Is there a local team that is expected to make it to the final? How easy is to get to the games? How easy/hard is it to sell/buy tickets on secondary market? How much of attending has become a habit for fans? How many sessions are there? On what days? I wouldn't draw any conclusions about the Big 12 Tournament in Kansas City which they might as well call the Kansas Invitational. If they got knocked out early which is practically guaranteed to never happen there would've been plenty of empty seats regardless of whether Kansas fans had already gobbled them up in November.

And, of course, we all know the Big Ten Tournament being held in MSG was never about trying to sell the most tickets but expanding the brand beyond its traditional midwest footprint. I think being a week early, it kind of snuck up on people. If there were to hold it at MSG again in 5 years I think it would be an even bigger hit even if held a week early.

I think the ACC playing in the Barclays Center is not a great move. Sorry, I don't care how hip Brooklyn is supposed to be, that's not a destination spot for colllege hoops fans. It's not Manhattan. Maybe it's okay for the A-10 but to me it felt second rate compared to a tournament being played at the same time at MSG.

I've actually gone to the Ivy Finals the last two years and enjoyed both but I agree that it doesn't seem quite right that the Ivy now has one.
ACC apparently sold out for all the sessions except the opening day "play-in" games, which were general admission.

Some much for the nonsense I read on this board about the B1G outdrawing the BE.
That's an increase of > 1,200 fans per session on avg. vs. 2017 event. Plus 1 more sellout vs. 2 in '17. Comments were based on history (which is still quite good) . No doubt they did a heck of a job this year.

Game Time* Matchup Score Television Attendance
First round – Wednesday, March 8

1 7:00 pm No. 9 Georgetown vs. No. 8 St. John's 73–74 FS1 14,830
2 9:30 pm No. 10 DePaul vs. No. 7 Xavier 64–75
Quarterfinals – Thursday, March 9
3 12:00 pm No. 8 St. John's vs. No. 1 Villanova 67–108 FS1 17,324
4 2:30 pm No. 5 Seton Hall vs. No. 4 Marquette 82–76
5 7:00 pm No. 7 Xavier vs. No. 2 Butler 62–57 16,003
6 9:30 pm No. 6 Creighton vs. No. 3 Providence 70–58
Semifinals – Friday, March 10
7 6:30 pm No. 5 Seton Hall vs. No. 1 Villanova 53–55 FS1 19,812
8 9:30 pm No. 7 Xavier vs. No. 6 Creighton 75–72
Championship – Saturday, March 11
9 5:30 pm No. 6 Creighton vs. No. 1 Villanova 60–74 FOX 19,812

Anyone else see this?

https://www.nhregister.com/sports/a...Power-Five-on-conference-tourney-12758021.php

Not a cause for concern or anything obviously, but it is interesting. Big Ten had one sellout in seven sessions at MSG, Big East had three in five sessions. Funny, how that other conference some folks here call a dumpster fire, the much-maligned Big 12, was second in attendance among conference tournaments.

Of course, the top two conferences held their tournaments in traditional locations. I get why Delany wanted it, but I'm too much of a traditionalist to not want the ACC to usually be in Greensboro and the Big Ten to usually be in Chicago or Indy. Hell, I'm still disappointed the Ivy went to a tournament.

The Big East used to sellout every session back in the hey day. The Big 10 was a one-off at a MSG at a venue distant from so many conference schools, which many in the league resented. No real story here.

Anyone else see this?

You do know the BIG doesn't always sell out in Indy or Chicago.

Reactions: bac2therac
ADVERTISEMENT