ADVERTISEMENT

Corey Sanders - Participates in PRO Day Workout

Pat Riley, Magic Johnson and Erik Spoelstra among those that watched Corey Sanders workout.

That was one great workout. He improved the range and accuracy of his shot. He already has NBA athleticism so if he can get his jumper to become second nature, keep his defense up to par , then he has a chance. I hope some NBA team gives him a chance. Proud of our Rutgers Man.

That was one great workout. He improved the range and accuracy of his shot. He already has NBA athleticism so if he can get his jumper to become second nature, keep his defense up to par , then he has a chance. I hope some NBA team gives him a chance. Proud of our Rutgers Man.

Good workout and he may have some teams interested. He displayed some shooting and left hand handling. Just needs to keep shooting everyday, all day.

His speed and athleticism is probably near the very top of the list of draft eligible guards.

Of course it was a great workout.
It was a highlight video of his workout.

I don’t know about anybody else but I had a hard time at first locating Corey he looked taller but what really threw me was the new hairstyle. He left it all on the floor for R U and I wish him all the best.

Sanders is going to land somewhere. This video is inspiring in the sense that Sanders just continues to pursue his dream at all cost.

I think Sanders ends up on a g league team somewhere. His jumper is his most fluid shot.

His 3 pt shot in the video will most likely not work at all at the NBA level. Too many long arms, and not enough space to perform the shot. Also, think about who gets open looks. It is typically not the point guard. The point guards three point shot is created by himself, off the dribble, off a screen.

Great video for Sanders, but I would have liked it to showcase more of his athleticism by way of some typical combine activities.

Keep pushing, Corey Sanders! I look forward to #3 coming back to the RAC, and getting an applause.

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
Exactly! Was the heart and soul of the team![/QUOTE]

That really, really, really isn't fair to the rest of the players. Especially guys like Omoruyi and Williams that worked real hard coming back from injury. Also all the guys that put in the work as a team in the off season.

Last year's team had 2 souls and 2 hearts, I am expecting this year's team having one.

His release is slightly awkward. low and slow.

Agree that his release point is too low. I made that comment here after watching a shooting video at the RAC when he first came to RU. A number of posters hammered me for the comment and questioned my subject knowledge.

With his quickness his existing jump shot technique worked in college. Not sure it can work against NBA competition. But I will be rooting for him to succeed wherever he goes. He gave RU fans a lot the past few years.

Reactions: S_Janowski
Ol' Boy.....not another release point comment. Please....let's not start that conversation again....lol

Good point Russ. Still you have to appreciate 7 1/2 minutes of highlights in one workout. And we know he can defend, which was not part of this workout video. Add that to his highlights from his final 3 B1G tourney games at MSG, and talent evaluators have alot to like.

I'm sure the NBA scouts will put little emphasis on his 3 year shooting numbers and instead conclude, as we've seen in this thread, that during the two months after he completed those 3 years of bad shooting he finally improved his shot and is a good shooter now.

Reactions: LotusAggressor
Yeah, we know it was a highlight video but that did not stop him from knocking down 5 in a row or 4-5 threes on another clip. For such a subpar shooter his time here on the banks , those clips show an improved shot. I know you are not enamored with Corey, since you have been covering him since he was a kid and in your words changing high schools like diapers, and he appeared selfish or immature . Guess what Russ , he has grown up here and after 3 great years he gave us at Rutgers, he has become a more mature person and we here are rooting like hell for him to make it to the league. He might not but I for one think your long held opinion on Corey is always non complimentary and there was no need to shit on the video provided nor could you bring yourself to give him a compliment. He deserves better.

Reactions: satnom
If you're going to sh*t on someone for poor comments about Corey, do it to the dick Rutgers fans that make snide comments like willis. Russ isn't an RU fan (formally) and is just here offering opinions and getting into discussions.

Reactions: Friend of 112
If you're going to sh*t on someone for poor comments about Corey, do it to the dick Rutgers fans that make snide comments like willis. Russ isn't an RU fan (formally) and is just here offering opinions and getting into discussions.
You have not been on this site long so your comment about Russ is mis informed. Russ has stated repeatedly that Corey is always about Corey and no one else and he has stated that view since he started posting here about 2-3 years now. He has never given him credit for his progress and what he had to do and did for Rutgers these last 3 years. I for one believe he gave his teammates and his coaches 3 great years on the banks. I am eternally grateful for his contributions and he will always be a Rutgers man.

Reactions: ScarletLongIsland
You have not been on this site long so your comment about Russ is mis informed. Russ has stated repeatedly that Corey is always about Corey and no one else and he has stated that view since he started posting here about 2-3 years now. He has never given him credit for his progress and what he had to do and did for Rutgers these last 3 years. I for one believe he gave his teammates and his coaches 3 great years on the banks. I am eternally grateful for his contributions and he will always be a Rutgers man.
dkotus has been hear longer than you. I think that you mischaracterize Russ's comments. I for one appreciate an honest non scarlet colored glasses outside perspectives whether I agree with it or not. Russ has always been respectful with his comments unlike some that come here just to stir things up.

Last edited:
Yeah, we know it was a highlight video but that did not stop him from knocking down 5 in a row or 4-5 threes on another clip. For such a subpar shooter his time here on the banks , those clips show an improved shot. I know you are not enamored with Corey, since you have been covering him since he was a kid and in your words changing high schools like diapers, and he appeared selfish or immature . Guess what Russ , he has grown up here and after 3 great years he gave us at Rutgers, he has become a more mature person and we here are rooting like hell for him to make it to the league. He might not but I for one think your long held opinion on Corey is always non complimentary and there was no need to shit on the video provided nor could you bring yourself to give him a compliment. He deserves better.
Where was this improvement in perimeter shooting when he was here?

I've been here a looong time, but I took a few years off when the negativity was absolutely toxic. Pikiell made me excited about the team again to the point that I came back to the boards to have people to discuss it with. I like that you're backing up Corey though. I like him...

Reactions: goru7 and higgins3
If there's any meaningful point to any NBA Pro Scout workout, then why not be optimistic, based on the tape, that somebody important in attendance saw something valuable in Corey?

If his performance at the workout opened anyone's eyes, then surely they'll take a peek at his performance on a big stage in his last 3 career games, which was stellar.

If I were a scout, one question that would occur to me about Corey over his college career and especially in those last meaningful games against good competition: "Can anybody cover this guy?"

I hope he gets a chance to prove himself at the next level...

Reactions: streck1 and goru7
Please find my previous post where I brought up diapers.

Also I didn't "shit on the video" as you put it. I merely pointed out that it was a highlight video.

I've given compliments to Corey, but I've also been honest with what I've seen from him. It would be great if Corey makes it to the NBA. That would put his, and his family's life on a whole new trajectory.

Please find my previous post where I brought up diapers.

Also I didn't "shit on the video" as you put it. I merely pointed out that it was a highlight video.

I've given compliments to Corey, but I've also been honest with what I've seen from him. It would be great if Corey makes it to the NBA. That would put his, and his family's life on a whole new trajectory.
Your last paragraph is something we can agree on, that Corey making the NBA would be great for him and his family especially his young daughter.
Your commentary on Corey was perceived by me as less than complimentary. You loved pointing out how many high schools he went to and he was all about himself and you would be surprised if he can Elevate his team. He had no real role models in his life other than his grandmother and needed guidance . At Rutgers , first Eddie with help from Shoes, then more impactfully Coach P over these last 2 years have watched him grow up and lead our team. His three point shooting never materialized while here but that video showed some improvement , highlight video or not. Knocking down shots is knocking down shots . Quincy Douby was a real good player here over 10 years ago. A great shooter but likely was getting drafted late 2nd round. He went to NBA tryouts with Portland and Seattle and shot over 75% from three in workouts. He went 19th in the first round primarily because of those workouts. I was only hoping that video would help Corey get drafted which the consensus opinion is that he will not be drafted. I took your comment as unnecessary to a player that gave us 3 great years. No hard feelings just standing up for our Rutgers man.

Yep. Russ likes to throw cold water on positive RU developments. See post on Mulcahy commitment. Par for the course.

Your last paragraph is something we can agree on, that Corey making the NBA would be great for him and his family especially his young daughter.
Your commentary on Corey was perceived by me as less than complimentary. You loved pointing out how many high schools he went to and he was all about himself and you would be surprised if he can Elevate his team. He had no real role models in his life other than his grandmother and needed guidance . At Rutgers , first Eddie with help from Shoes, then more impactfully Coach P over these last 2 years have watched him grow up and lead our team. His three point shooting never materialized while here but that video showed some improvement , highlight video or not. Knocking down shots is knocking down shots . Quincy Douby was a real good player here over 10 years ago. A great shooter but likely was getting drafted late 2nd round. He went to NBA tryouts with Portland and Seattle and shot over 75% from three in workouts. He went 19th in the first round primarily because of those workouts. I was only hoping that video would help Corey get drafted which the consensus opinion is that he will not be drafted. I took your comment as unnecessary to a player that gave us 3 great years. No hard feelings just standing up for our Rutgers man.
I never had any hard feelings, I realized you were sticking up for "family". All good.

You bring up a very good point. Corey did seem to mature while at Rutgers. Perhaps it started with the disciplinary action Coach Jordan took during Corey's freshman season and continued from there. I understand why he left RU but it would have been sweet if he had returned next season, had a great senior night moment and received his degree.

Good luck to Corey, and thanks for posting but I think it’s crazy to take anything from this basketball-wise.

Hope Corey is able to stick with any NBA team long enough to earn some money. Realistically--no. Look, until he finally stopped shooting 3's late in his last season and became a mid-range scorer, Corey was the same player he was as a freshman. Made the same mistakes, etc. And that is despite having the caliber of assistant coaches we have. That gives me pause. Don't care about video highlights of him nailing 3's. Let's look at the record. Always have a problem trying to do columnar stuff, so this is a bit different. OK, A is 2015-16. B is 2016-17. C is 2017-18.

MPG A-33.5 B-30.4 C-33.1 FG % A-42.3 B-38.2 C-40.1 3 P%-A-31.3 B-26.8 C-22.4 FT % A 71 B-61 C-71
Reb A-3.3 B-3.2 C-4.3 Asst A-4.3 B-3.2 C-3.1 Pts A-15.9 B-12.8 C-15.2.

And those 2017-18 numbers were goosed by his virtuoso performance in the 3 games of the B1G tourney. Take those 3 away and
FG % would be about 32% and he would have averaged 14.3. Yeah, we all were rooting for him to improve and in those last 3 games, he showed us the player we hoped he would be. Was that Corey finally "getting it" or was it a blip? He's no Douby, and Douby couldn't make it in the NBA. But you can have a good life playing ball overseas.
TL

I never had any hard feelings, I realized you were sticking up for "family". All good.

You bring up a very good point. Corey did seem to mature while at Rutgers. Perhaps it started with the disciplinary action Coach Jordan took during Corey's freshman season and continued from there. I understand why he left RU but it would have been sweet if he had returned next season, had a great senior night moment and received his degree.
Definitely would have been great if he hung around for his senior year for us Rutgers fans but financially and family wise it was not in the cards. A degree would be great but not so sure . I do know one thing that every time he was on the court , I had a sense that we could hang with any team. Yes he had his share of bad games, but he had to do almost everything for us and that is a tremendous burden. He took it on his shoulders, and in NYC he was the best player on the court. But for the hose job done by the refs in the Purdue game, he would have gotten us to the semis and I think the final . He has the ability to get to the next level and I hope he continues to improve so he can get there.

Agree that his release point is too low. I made that comment here after watching a shooting video at the RAC when he first came to RU. A number of posters hammered me for the comment and questioned my subject knowledge.

With his quickness his existing jump shot technique worked in college. Not sure it can work against NBA competition. But I will be rooting for him to succeed wherever he goes. He gave RU fans a lot the past few years.
Lol he'll be fine

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT