ADVERTISEMENT

Corey's Return

Remember Isaiah Whitehead?

Probably the best player SHOE has had since Terry Dehere IMHO. He was all BE, carried SHOE to the BE title, arguably one of the most valuable players in all of college bball that year

He was a 2nd round pick, on a Nets team that has now lost it's starting PG for the year, and he's still picking splinters out of his rear end on the bench. Barring further unforeseen cirucmstances I wouldn't be suprised if he is not on the roster at the end of this year.

Sanders--good player, but not quite on whitehead's level (at least so far ) on the college level.

Great to have aspirations, but NBA is not going to happen unless are you in the top <0.5% of players, and even if you are you may just end up having a cup of coffee.

NBA, especially for players under 6'3" is a pipedream.

Remember Isaiah Whitehead?

Probably the best player SHOE has had since Terry Dehere IMHO. He was all BE, carried SHOE to the BE title, arguably one of the most valuable players in all of college bball that year

He was a 2nd round pick, on a Nets team that has now lost it's starting PG for the year, and he's still picking splinters out of his rear end on the bench. Barring further unforeseen cirucmstances I wouldn't be suprised if he is not on the roster at the end of this year.

Sanders--good player, but not quite on whitehead's level (at least so far ) on the college level.

Great to have aspirations, but NBA is not going to happen unless are you in the top <0.5% of players, and even if you are you may just end up having a cup of coffee.

NBA, especially for players under 6'3" is a pipedream.
While all this may be true, his heart wants to follow the dream. Besides, he can make a good living overseas for a bit.

While all this may be true, his heart wants to follow the dream. Besides, he can make a good living overseas for a bit.
I disagree he has all the natural ability and talent in the world. Where he needs to get it right is in his head. He lets his emotion take his game DOWN a level or 2. Once he figures it out he has a great shot at the NBA. If I was him I would take 1000 foul shots a day. He needs to get to 85 percent
You cannot have a guard in the NBA shoot in the 60's

Sanders has the athlete athleticism, but he is a far cry right now. As mentioned, to even sniff a G league roster, his best bet was after his freshman year.

I am a huge fan, but this writer made it seem like Sanders was almost on an NBA team. That was never the case. He didn't choose to come back.

If you keep hearing stuff about him taking the game seriously, I think will show that there is a good chance he plays here for four years. His best chance to reach a great level is under these coaches.

NBA is a very hard league. Sanders lacks about 6-10 different facets that are a prerequisite.

If Bishop Daniels can make the D-League then so can Corey Sanders. Bishop was announced on the Long Island Nets training camp roster.

If Bishop Daniels can make the D-League then so can Corey Sanders. Bishop was announced on the Long Island Nets training camp roster.
D league is exactly no one's goal. No one wants to just be in the D league, it is not really a glamorous lifestyle unless you have an NBA contract which very few D leaguers do.

Reactions: RBNY87
D league is exactly no one's goal. No one wants to just be in the D league, it is not really a glamorous lifestyle unless you have an NBA contract which very few D leaguers do.

It's becoming more common than the past to have a d league contract. The pay going forward will not be as bad as in the past. Sure, you can't buy a yacht, but if you put your money towards the right things, you can have a decent living.

It's becoming more common than the past to have a d league contract. The pay going forward will not be as bad as in the past. Sure, you can't buy a yacht, but if you put your money towards the right things, you can have a decent living.

No one wants to be a career D leaguer much like no one wants play Double A baseball forever.

of course, the point is that even a guard who was dominant (and quite frankly a far better shooter than Sanders) in college still can't make it in the NBA. NCAA guards, unless you are in the stratosphere kind of good, are not making the NBA, and in the future its going to be even harder as the game becomes more international.

25 years ago good but not great college players might be able to hang on a roster. now with basketball being more international (which is only going to increase) a college players--especially shorter guards-- chances of playing in the NBA are infinitesimal at best

No one wants to be a career D leaguer much like no one wants play Double A baseball forever.

of course, the point is that even a guard who was dominant (and quite frankly a far better shooter than Sanders) in college still can't make it in the NBA. NCAA guards, unless you are in the stratosphere kind of good, are not making the NBA, and in the future its going to be even harder as the game becomes more international.

25 years ago good but not great college players might be able to hang on a roster. now with basketball being more international (which is only going to increase) a college players--especially shorter guards-- chances of playing in the NBA are infinitesimal at best

It is a still a way to make a living. I understand what you are saying.

The biggest thing about the NBA draft is how the contracts and pay plans become drastically shorter in the second round. If you are in the first round, you are in somebodies plan. Once you get sent down t o the D league, your shots at going back up to the NBA are a little smaller.

You are not on any front offices priority list. It's that competitive.

Noooooo, D-league pay is abysmal, you'd be far FAR better off going to Europe.

Look ... even Quincy Douby, who was a significantly better college guard than Sanders, could not stick in the NBA. He mainly played in the NBA for as many as the 3 years he did so because as a 1st round pick he got a 3-year guaranteed contract. Otherwise he might only have lasted 1-2 years.

Sanders does not have one skill that stands out relative to NBA players ... not yet. He DOES have NBA-level athleticism - but is it really BETTER athleticism than many NBA players? At 6'2" - which is short for the NBA, even as a PG - he needs some edge to make it. That edge could be an improvement in skills across the board - from where he was last season. OR ... becoming an absolutely standout defender - he showed some progress there last season, in my opinion, but needs to get even better ... OR he needs to be a lights out shooter (that is how Douby got drafted) - but that seems less likely.

That said, I could see Sanders making a very good living playing professional basketball - overseas. There is a market there for non-NBA players. The D-League might be a path to the NBA, but a long shot path. Overseas is NOT a path to the NBA, but it could be a lucrative living. I think Douby might have been making either $1 million, or $3 million a year in China, for example (cannot remember which - but I do remember reading it was at least $1 million a year).

Europe is tax free and you get a vehicle and an apartment. Depensing on tje leafue you only play once a week. Friend of mine made a decent living in Italy for 9 years. Much better playing there than in the D league.

I'm not sure what about Corey wanting to play in the NBA rubs people the wrong way. If he declares after this year he is gone. No coming back since he already tested the waters twice. Nobody makes a career in the D-League, but end up in Europe or China if they don't make the league in two or three years. I'm also pretty sure Coach has a contingency plan in place. He's probably very prepared for this event to happen, having now gone through this with Corey already for two summers.

If his professional ambitions involve basketball and not other pursuits, he is well within his rights to attempt it to completion and he has the athleticism (which is the first prerequisite) to take it there. Questioning how successful he'll be shouldn't be a reason why he doesn't leave. The truth is the older he is in college, the less likely he will be drafted or invited to a training camp. You only see on average 1 or 2 seniors get drafted in the first round, probably only 6 seniors get drafted at all through the entire draft. You can see why he shows urgency in getting his NBA prospects in order. You cannot expect him to just throw away his pro aspirations. He is also the only player on this roster who has the best chance at going pro at this moment.

The truth is the older he is in college, the less likely he will be drafted or invited to a training camp. You only see on average 1 or 2 seniors get drafted in the first round, probably only 6 seniors get drafted at all through the entire draft.

I couldn't agree more with this. This is certainly the new normal. There is a negative correlation to years in college and draft status. Years ago i am sure it was positive.

Sanders does not have one skill that stands out relative to NBA players ... not yet.

Maybe the quickness with the basketball in his hands going right. Maybe I don't see enough, but I cant see many guards better than him getting to the paint.

Maybe the quickness with the basketball in his hands going right. Maybe I don't see enough, but I cant see many guards better than him getting to the paint.

That is fair - and maybe true. He is REALLY good with dribble penetration to his right.

Of course, getting to the paint in the NBA when you are 6'2" ... without a pull-up jump shot ... tough.

By the way, I am pretty sure Sanders is gone after this season - I was mildly surprised when he came back FOR this season (though I am certain it was a very good decision for him to come back). I know some people who know him, and there are a LOT of people in his ear, all the time, talking up his NBA aspirations. Hats off to Sanders for being smart, so far.

And if Sanders can improve his game enough to have a consideration to be a 1st round pick ... that will help RU a lot this season.

I think the most important statistic for Corey's NBA aspirations this year will be Rutgers wins. It would open a lot of eyes if Corey leads this team up the B1G ladder.

ADVERTISEMENT