ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Cornell Wrestling coming to the RAC

Wow that is great news. Home schedule pretty light this year. Would love to see us have Cornell/Lehigh every year.

This is great news. My season ticket group increased by two this year, now up to 8, they're going to love to hear about this. As the B1G home schedule was kind of light this year. Always great to get a marquee opponent at home.

Last edited:
Reactions: obrats
One thing I love about Goodale, he is absolutely fearless when it comes to scheduling. Aren't we wrestling at Ok State this year as well?

No, but it's always possible I guess.

Big Ten schedule
Rutgers' Big Ten opponents were announced in May. Dates and times have not yet been announced.

Home opponents

Illinois

Indiana

Maryland

Northwestern

Purdue

Away opponents

Michigan

Michigan State

Ohio State

Penn State

Ivy League opponents

Princeton, Cornell

Other: Rider

More to be added, including Holiday Tournament.

No, but it's always possible I guess.

Big Ten schedule
Rutgers' Big Ten opponents were announced in May. Dates and times have not yet been announced.

Home opponents

Illinois

Indiana

Maryland

Northwestern

Purdue

Away opponents

Michigan

Michigan State

Ohio State

Penn State

Ivy League opponents

Princeton, Cornell

Other: Rider

More to be added, including Holiday Tournament.

NCAA allows 16 dates, so 9 Big10 duals, opening quad, Princeton, Cornell, Rider and have heard going back to Cliff Keen Las Vegas Puts us at 14. We have done the Journeyman duals for a few years in a row(if we go again) that is 15, so really only 1 date left.

Reactions: Abro1975
That’s awesome, would love someone to do an analysis of likely matchups. I’d assume they’ll be favored about 7-3.
I never really realized what a giant program that Cornell is until UNI dualed them the past two years.

Two years ago, the entire world predicted that UNI would shell them. Just the opposite happened; we got our butts handed to us. Last year, the world thought that it would be "anyone's dual," UNI lost handily.

Cornell's wrestlers don't seem to look like much on paper, but that program knows what the hell it's doing. You've all been warned! :cop:

Last edited:
I never really realized what a giant program that Cornell is until UNI dualed them the past two years.

Two years ago, the entire world predicted that UNI would shell them. Just the opposite happened; we got our butts handed to us. Last year, the world thought that it would be "anyone's dual," UNI lost handily.

Cornell's wrestlers don't seem to look like much on paper, but that program knows what the hell it's doing. You've all been warned! :cop:
We're from the Northeast, we're well versed on Cornell's prowess.

Yeah, Cornell is not exactly an unknown around here; A lot of top NJ and NY wrestlers go there.

They're not an unknown in Iowa either. I was just saying that what you think they have on paper doesn't match what they put on the mat. I saw it egregiously the past two years.

Self-edit...or, they bring it.

Last edited:
Reactions: RU23 and R U Crazy
NCAA allows 16 dates, so 9 Big10 duals, opening quad, Princeton, Cornell, Rider and have heard going back to Cliff Keen Las Vegas Puts us at 14. We have done the Journeyman duals for a few years in a row(if we go again) that is 15, so really only 1 date left.

PS- for those undecided between BTN plus or Flo Wrestling, the fact RU will be at Cliff Keen, pretty much makes it an easy decision again as BTN doesn't have rights to show Cliff Keene, or the away matches at Princeton and Rider matches for that matter. Only small downside to Flowrestling is that you have to pay the whole year up front (150) and then get a prorated refund whenever you cancel, whereas BTNplus charges month by month. Plus you get a whole lot of terrific other College and HS tournaments and matches w Flo you do not get with BTNplus. I feel like we have this discussion every off season. lol. USA wrestling National teams usually covered by Flo as well.

PS- for those undecided between BTN plus or Flo Wrestling, the fact RU will be at Cliff Keen, pretty much makes it an easy decision again as BTN doesn't have rights to show Cliff Keene, or the away matches at Princeton and Rider matches for that matter. Only small downside to Flowrestling is that you have to pay the whole year up front (150) and then get a prorated refund whenever you cancel, whereas BTNplus charges month by month. Plus you get a whole lot of terrific other College and HS tournaments and matches w Flo you do not get with BTNplus. I feel like we have this discussion every off season. lol. USA wrestling National teams usually covered by Flo as well.

There is a lot of good stuff included on Flosports. Grappling, MMA, Rugby, dirt track sprint and midget racing, track and field, and many other categories. I bought it for wrestling and was very happily surprised at all that I got for $150 per year.

Reactions: Abro1975
Cornell is wrestling at Princeton on Sun, 2/8, so I wonder if they'll just make 1 weekend trip and wrestle us Fri 2/6 or Sat 2/7, and then head to Princeton, so they don't have to make the 4 hr trip twice.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
My son is a Yianni fanatic... he will be thrilled.

Edit: He might take an olympic redshirt.
Zain beat him at Final X so probably not, right? If so, how cool would it be for Nick wrestle up and give the fans the showdown of the year? Cornell does have Blair product Chas Tucker at 133, though, who is no slouch.

Final X was qualifying for this year's world championships. Olympic qualifying starts again I guess sometime before March. Also, Yianni was right there with Zain so he would have a great shot at making the Olympic team next year.

Zain beat him at Final X so probably not, right? If so, how cool would it be for Nick wrestle up and give the fans the showdown of the year? Cornell does have Blair product Chas Tucker at 133, though, who is no slouch.
He beat Zain before and could again. Nonetheless, he already qualified for an Olympic redshirt by winning the 2019 national title, so he can take it even if he never tries to qualify for the Olympics, but I think he'll try to qualify.

Both Yanni and Zain wrestling at Yasar Dogu this weekend. They could meet up. Anyone know when Yanni’s appeal will be decided?

Yanni could redshirt this year as Koll seems to be stockpiling guys to make a run at the national title in a year or two.

Last edited:
He beat Zain before and could again. Nonetheless, he already qualified for an Olympic redshirt by winning the 2019 national title, so he can take it even if he never tries to qualify for the Olympics, but I think he'll try to qualify.
Just a small correction, Yianni does qualify for an Olympic Redshirt but not because he won a National Championship. He qualifies because he was a 2015 Cadet World Championships.

Being a National Champion by itself doesn’t qualify you. Below are the 4 ways to qualify.

1. Past national team members (top three from the World or Olympic Team Trials)
  2. Top eight at the 2019 Senior U.S. Open
  3. Top three at the 2019 NCAA Wrestling Championship; or NCAA champion from a previous year AND top two from the 2019 U23 World Team Trials (must accomplish both).
  4. Previous Cadet, Junior, U23 world medalist

Just a small correction, Yianni does qualify for an Olympic Redshirt but not because he won a National Championship. He qualifies because he was a 2015 Cadet World Championships.

Being a National Champion by itself doesn’t qualify you. Below are the 4 ways to qualify.

3. Top three at the 2019 NCAA Wrestling Championship; or NCAA champion from a previous year AND top two from the 2019 U23 World Team Trials (must accomplish both).

Its confusing, but given the placement of the semicolon, I think you are reading it wrong.

Top 3 2019
OR
NCAA Champ from prior year AND top 2 at 2019 U23.

I don't know why they didn't just structure it as 5 separate criteria (which it is). I have seen this come up in several places already.

Reactions: Leonard23

Here we go again with getting an Olympic redshirt. We covered this with Nicky. You say Yanni doesn't qualify with a national championship, but #3 states top 3 at the 2019 NCAA championships, which he has done.

Reactions: Leonard23
Here we go again with getting an Olympic redshirt. We covered this with Nicky. You say Yanni doesn't qualify with a national championship, but #3 states top 3 at the 2019 NCAA championships, which he has done.
You are missing the 2nd part of #3

AND top two from the 2019 U23 World Team Trials (must accomplish both).

Well, then its written wrong. The semicolon is in the wrong place if it is supposed to say what you are saying.
The previous copy and paste was from Flo site. I just checked USA Wrestling and they do not have the semicolon.

3) Top 3 at the 2019 NCAA Wrestling Championship or NCAA Champion from a previous year AND top 2 from the 2019 U23 World Team Trials (must accomplish both)

The previous copy and paste was from Flo site. I just checked USA Wrestling and they do not have the semicolon.

3) Top 3 at the 2019 NCAA Wrestling Championship or NCAA Champion from a previous year AND top 2 from the 2019 U23 World Team Trials (must accomplish both)

Good find. I had only seen it with the semicolon there.

Without it, it goes from being incorrectly worded to just ambiguous. But given the capitalization of the word "AND," and not the word "or" I would guess the "AND" overrides the "or" and applies to both of the first two criteria. They shouldve just made two separate criteria:

Top 3 at 2019 NCAA Championships and top 2 at U23 WTT
Prior year NCAA Champion and top 2 at 2019 U23 WTT

Yanni and Zain will wrestle tomorrow at the at Yasar Dogu. Yanni seated #7 and Zain seated # 8. If Yanni wins the match and losses his Final X appeal, things will get interesting for USA Wrestling.

Love the idea of RU scheduling local ivies in Olympic sports outside of BIG schedule

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT