ADVERTISEMENT

Corona Conference Re-alignment

srru86

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2001
Not a big fan of conference re-alignment talk. Less so when driven by disease fears. But anything is possible.

For those not enamored of either topic, and not willing to read through this not terribly illuminating opinion piece, he ends up with basically what would have been the Eastern athletic conference that some combination of Cromenthal, JoPa and whomever was running Pitt back then, couldn't put ogether. Ok, and our Fred G. also. For those sports not football & MBB anyway.

Washington Post
College sports should use this time to heal its self-inflicted wounds

I think it actually makes a lot of sense to create geography first conferences for non revenue sports.

Even for revenue sports it makes sense. I love being a part of the Big Ten and I think with proper staffs and investment we can become not only competitive but successful in numerous sports in the league. I think we're starting to see that in basketball.

But there's always going to be a part of me that thinks geography should rule and our league should be us, PSU, Pitt, WVU, Maryland, UVA, Va Tech, and Syracuse.

Reactions: ElmiraExpress
Not a big fan of conference re-alignment talk. Less so when driven by disease fears. But anything is possible.

For those not enamored of either topic, and not willing to read through this not terribly illuminating opinion piece, he ends up with basically what would have been the Eastern athletic conference that some combination of Cromenthal, JoPa and whomever was running Pitt back then, couldn't put ogether. Ok, and our Fred G. also. For those sports not football & MBB anyway.

Washington Post
College sports should use this time to heal its self-inflicted wounds
Behind a pay wall. Would not give 1 cent to that rag. Bezos has enough money--let people read some content for free.

I think it's a possibility, just for this year. This is a once in a generation event, every option is on the table. Play local, no contracts/return games, etc. My other thought, specific to RU is will BIG teams want to bring 100+ players, coaches, support staff, families to the heart of the second-most affected state in the country? Time will tell, and we'll learn a lot as things begin opening back up.

I won't even pretend to know how the finances will work on a conference, TV, or bowl game level, but if if playing a 10 game sched against teams within driving distance is the safest way to have anything that resembles a season, let's do it.

RU
Penn State
Maryland
Temple
UConn
BC

who else???

One problem among the many I see with this kind of arrangement is that TV contracts already exist and I can't see the BTN, for example, wanting to broadcast games involving teams that aren't B1G members.

Neeeeeever gonna happen...schools that have benefited from realignment have no reason to support this crap...that includes Rutgers.
It is a non touchy-feely thing to say, but those programs who are better off that those in bad spots...are NOT required to help.
The fact the the hillbillies closest conference opponent is in Iowa, is a problem of their own making...not anyone else’

Reactions: knightfan7
I think it's a possibility, just for this year. This is a once in a generation event, every option is on the table. Play local, no contracts/return games, etc. My other thought, specific to RU is will BIG teams want to bring 100+ players, coaches, support staff, families to the heart of the second-most affected state in the country? Time will tell, and we'll learn a lot as things begin opening back up.

I won't even pretend to know how the finances will work on a conference, TV, or bowl game level, but if if playing a 10 game sched against teams within driving distance is the safest way to have anything that resembles a season, let's do it.

RU
Penn State
Maryland
Temple
UConn
BC

who else???

Does RU get 50 million for playing that schedule?

I think it actually makes a lot of sense to create geography first conferences for non revenue sports.

Even for revenue sports it makes sense. I love being a part of the Big Ten and I think with proper staffs and investment we can become not only competitive but successful in numerous sports in the league. I think we're starting to see that in basketball.

But there's always going to be a part of me that thinks geography should rule and our league should be us, PSU, Pitt, WVU, Maryland, UVA, Va Tech, and Syracuse.
Been saying all this before the COVID-19 stuff:

• too many games
  • too much travel
  • too many sports
If it were up to me, we'd have less sports and less games. Keep all OOC games for the non-revenue sports bus ride only, no overnighters.

For conference games the B1G should try and schedule school vs. school at the same time. So Michigan "week" means in the Fall that Football, MSOC, WSOC and Field Hockey all go to Ann Arbor. Same for the Spring...Baseball, Softball, MLAX and WLAX go there too.

With less games Fall and Spring sports might actually start very close to their respective calendar season. Why is LAX playing in February? Why does WSOC have games before Labor Day or in August? Why does Baseball play 40+ games?

ADVERTISEMENT