ADVERTISEMENT

Could nightmare football situation

we totaled 75 yards of offense in out last game. we had 1 yard passing on 5 attempts on saturday. we have been outscored 165 to 7 in 4 conference contests.we just lost 35 - 0 to INDIANA. this program is an all time, in all of football history terrible.
This is just meant to be informative not pile on....but someone asked in the Athletic about RU and what it has to do or not do to be one of the worst in B10 history. Reply was history goes back to 1896 so couldn't do that much research but off the top of his head thought about NW teams in the early 1980s. This was the reply.

This is a great question, but I would need an army full of researchers to properly answer it. The Big Ten has been playing football since 1896. That’s an awful lot of awful teams to sort through.

So, to simplify things, I decided to just look up a group of candidates I know off the top of my head were historically bad — the 1979-82 Northwestern teams that combined on an FBS-record 34-game losing streak. Of those, the 0-11 1981 Wildcats — coached by future 15-1 NFL coach Denny Green — set the clear standard for futility. They suffered five shutouts (64-0 to Iowa, 52-0 to Wisconsin, 42-0 to Utah, 38-0 to Michigan and 35-0 to Purdue) in addition to losing 70-6 to Ohio State, 61-14 to Michigan State, 49-12 to Illinois and 38-7 to Arkansas. The closest they came to victory was a season-opening 21-20 home defeat to an eventual 3-8 Indiana team coached by … Lee Corso.

So, as bad as it’s been for Rutgers so far, it may have to have to get even worse to approach ‘81 Northwestern territory. So far, the Knights are allowing “only” 41.3 points per game. In nine conference games, the ’81 Wildcats allowed 47.2 per game. Granted, Northwestern’s 8.3 points per game on offense seems Herculean compared to Rutgers’ current pace of … 1.8. But we also know one 14-point output could drastically change that number. In ’81, Northwestern scored more than half its points in two games.

All of this makes for amusing fodder, but let me make one thing clear: I do not wish misery on Rutgers’ players. I hope for their sake things get better. I can’t imagine how demoralizing it is to spend an entire year sweating through conditioning drills and practice only to get embarrassed every week playing for a school that essentially punted on your season a month into it. My fear, however, is that is in fact going to get worse, as the Knights still have games remaining against 6-0 Minnesota, 6-0 Ohio State and 6-0 Penn State.

But at least with potential respites against Liberty and Illinois.

This is just meant to be informative not pile on....but someone asked in the Athletic about RU and what it has to do or not do to be one of the worst in B10 history. Reply was history goes back to 1896 so couldn't do that much research but off the top of his head thought about NW teams in the early 1980s. This was the reply.

This is a great question, but I would need an army full of researchers to properly answer it. The Big Ten has been playing football since 1896. That’s an awful lot of awful teams to sort through.

So, to simplify things, I decided to just look up a group of candidates I know off the top of my head were historically bad — the 1979-82 Northwestern teams that combined on an FBS-record 34-game losing streak. Of those, the 0-11 1981 Wildcats — coached by future 15-1 NFL coach Denny Green — set the clear standard for futility. They suffered five shutouts (64-0 to Iowa, 52-0 to Wisconsin, 42-0 to Utah, 38-0 to Michigan and 35-0 to Purdue) in addition to losing 70-6 to Ohio State, 61-14 to Michigan State, 49-12 to Illinois and 38-7 to Arkansas. The closest they came to victory was a season-opening 21-20 home defeat to an eventual 3-8 Indiana team coached by … Lee Corso.

So, as bad as it’s been for Rutgers so far, it may have to have to get even worse to approach ‘81 Northwestern territory. So far, the Knights are allowing “only” 41.3 points per game. In nine conference games, the ’81 Wildcats allowed 47.2 per game. Granted, Northwestern’s 8.3 points per game on offense seems Herculean compared to Rutgers’ current pace of … 1.8. But we also know one 14-point output could drastically change that number. In ’81, Northwestern scored more than half its points in two games.

All of this makes for amusing fodder, but let me make one thing clear: I do not wish misery on Rutgers’ players. I hope for their sake things get better. I can’t imagine how demoralizing it is to spend an entire year sweating through conditioning drills and practice only to get embarrassed every week playing for a school that essentially punted on your season a month into it. My fear, however, is that is in fact going to get worse, as the Knights still have games remaining against 6-0 Minnesota, 6-0 Ohio State and 6-0 Penn State.

But at least with potential respites against Liberty and Illinois.
in an odd twist of fate, i used to work with a member of that 1981 northwestern team.

Reactions: rutgersguy1
ADVERTISEMENT