ADVERTISEMENT

Court Club Meeting Tonight (Monday) 7pm

Packed house. Coach Pikiell arrived and literally went around to every table and shook the hand of every person and thanked them for attending. Very entertaining as usual and spoke and took tons of questions probably for a good hour. Rick Dadika followed and spoke about his career on the banks, his kids, and thoughts on RU hoops today.

Coach Pikiell:
  • Opposed to the proposed transfer rule change that is being voted on by powers that be that would allow players to transfer and be immediately eligible (side note, what I've seen is that would go into effect in the Summer 2018 and that only if a player has a 2.7 or 2.8 GPA they could be immediately eligible but the particulars weren't discussed)
  • Flew by RU helicopter w/ Brandin Knight to see Montez Mathis play in Springfield, MA over the weekend.
  • Regarding question about recruiting while technically there are no more scholarships available, he was pretty adamant that there will be an opening. This didn't appear to be a statement about anyone in particular just the reality of college basketball today. Said you have to keep recruiting and you have to have your lists of players.
  • Myles Johnson has lost 22 pounds and got impressive marks in first semester of engineering program. Could help us now offensively but felt it was better to redshirt him to help the future.
  • Sounded like he called up the league office to complain about foul disparity after MSU which will make some on this board happy
  • Foundation has been laid for practice facility (woo hoo!)
Rick Dadika:
  • Has apparel business working with youth teams, high schools, etc.
  • His son (Jake's brother) is a walk on at Rhode Island w/ Danny Hurley
  • He's assisting with coordination of letter winners reunion for the Feb 3 Purdue game.
  • For the reunion, has been in touch with Tom Savage, who stills lives in Trenton area, on Facebook and is trying to get him to come back for the reunion
  • Dismissed any thoughts that the 1989 championship team could compete against the current schedule (bigger, faster, stronger, etc.)
  • Had to prop open the back doors at the RAC for the 1989 A-10 Championship game to allow in about 15 friends who couldn't get tickets
Court Club Auction to follow aforementioned Feb 3 Purdue game.

Packed house. Coach Pikiell arrived and literally went around to every table and shook the hand of every person and thanked them for attending. Very entertaining as usual and spoke and took tons of questions probably for a good hour. Rick Dadika followed and spoke about his career on the banks, his kids, and thoughts on RU hoops today.

Coach Pikiell:
  • Opposed to the proposed transfer rule change that is being voted on by powers that be that would allow players to transfer and be immediately eligible (side note, what I've seen is that would go into effect in the Summer 2018 and that only if a player has a 2.7 or 2.8 GPA they could be immediately eligible but the particulars weren't discussed)
  • Flew by RU helicopter w/ Brandin Knight to see Montez Mathis play in Springfield, MA over the weekend.
  • Regarding question about recruiting while technically there are no more scholarships available, he was pretty adamant that there will be an opening. This didn't appear to be a statement about anyone in particular just the reality of college basketball today. Said you have to keep recruiting and you have to have your lists of players.
  • Myles Johnson has lost 22 pounds and got impressive marks in first semester of engineering program. Could help us now offensively but felt it was better to redshirt him to help the future.
  • Sounded like he called up the league office to complain about foul disparity after MSU which will make some on this board happy
Rick Dadika:
  • He's assisting with coordination of letter winners reunion for the Feb 3 Purdue game.
  • For the reunion, has been in touch with Tom Savage, who stills lives in Trenton area, on Facebook and is trying to get him to come back for the reunion
  • Dismissed any thoughts that the 1989 championship team could compete against the current schedule (bigger, faster, stronger, etc.)
  • Had to prop open the back doors at the RAC for the 1989 A-10 Championship game to allow in about 15 friends who couldn't get tickets
Any news on the extent of Mike Williams injury?

Coach Pikiell:
Rick Dadika:

Great recap.
Thank you, sir!

Did Pike’s contract extension come up?

Also mentioned (by an attendee) that both Dadika sons were involved in win over Seton Hall this year - although neither saw action in the games.

I always enjoy attending Court Club meetings because of the speakers,food ,raffle and the opportunity to talk with Rutgers basketball fans.Coach Pikiell is a great speaker because of his knowedge of basketball ,what is required to rebuild a program,willingness to answer fan questions and above all else his witty remarks that has the audience laughing from the beginning to the end of his talk.Pikielll is a outstanding spokesmen for Rutgers.

It's an honor to be out in front of something that means so much to the die hard fans of Rutgers Basketball. We take a lot of pride in the effort! I felt last night was a great one. Coach Pikiell went above and beyond to be there, and Rick Dadika crushed it with his energy and candor.

That said our February date marks my last official membership meeting as President after 6 seasons.

If there is a guest that you've wanted to hear from that we haven't gotten to yet, I'd love to have those suggestions! Sort of a now or never thing :)

It's an honor to be out in front of something that means so much to the die hard fans of Rutgers Basketball. We take a lot of pride in the effort! I felt last night was a great one. Coach Pikiell went above and beyond to be there, and Rick Dadika crushed it with his energy and candor.

That said our February date marks my last official membership meeting as President after 6 seasons.

If there is a guest that you've wanted to hear from that we haven't gotten to yet, I'd love to have those suggestions! Sort of a now or never thing :)

Brian : You and your wife are tremendous Rutgers fans/supporters and the time and leadership of the Court Club has been outstanding and will be very difficult to match in the future.As to future speakers former players such as Billet. or Mack would be interesting along with another sports writer that has covered Rutgers in the past or currently.Thanks again from another die hard fan.

One important thing I forgot to mention. Someone told Coach that we beat Seton Hall and Wisconsin when "the Russian" singing video was played pre-game. Pikiell ordered his assistant to make sure "the Russian" was part of the Iowa pre-game. So, we've got that going for us.

Special Guest speaker for his final meeting as President should be...

BKIn118

Anyone ask about Matt Bullock considering we’re short and desperate for guard play? What’s the deal?

I really appreciate these updates of the meetings. I’ve been a court club member for well over a decade and sadly have yet to make a meeting because of my work schedule. Thanks BK for all of your efforts.

If Rutgers could put BK's name in the rafters along with other RU greats they should. Easily the most passionate and dedicated RU hoops supporter out there.

As far as speaker suggestions.

Bruce Johnson
Tom Luicci
Mike Rice - time has passed but would be a fascinating speaker I'd think
Myles Mack
Chris Carlin
Jerry Recco
Dick Lloyd
Gary Waters (now retired)
Bob Hurley

If Rutgers could put BK's name in the rafters along with other RU greats they should. Easily the most passionate and dedicated RU hoops supporter out there.

Bruce Johnson
Tom Luicci
Myles Mack
Chris Carlin
Jerry Recco
Dick Lloyd
Bob Hurley
Great list.

I always enjoy attending Court Club meetings because of the speakers,food ,raffle and the opportunity to talk with Rutgers basketball fans.Coach Pikiell is a great speaker because of his knowedge of basketball ,what is required to rebuild a program,willingness to answer fan questions and above all else his witty remarks that has the audience laughing from the beginning to the end of his talk.Pikielll is a outstanding spokesmen for Rutgers.
Just curious,generally, what type of food is served at the Club meetings?

Pretty sure I was the first to suggest it but Brian AND his wife deserve something even more.

And when the moment happens for that to occur I (and I think a lot of us too) will be happier seeing that than the result.

Bruce Johnson
Tom Luicci
Myles Mack
Chris Carlin
Jerry Recco
Dick Lloyd
Bob Hurley

Bruce Johnson has walked away from RU...he's declined as recently as last season
Tom Luicci has spoken
Mike Rice ... I agree, but he did a nice job when here coaching.
Myles is a possibility, as he is rehabbing a knee injury now
Carlin was lined up for December this year, but then WFAN came calling
Recco has 12 jobs too...but he has expressed interest
Dick Lloyd has taken the podium twice for us
GW is retired to Florida and writing his memoir
Bob Hurley...I like that too. I'll reach out

Bruce Johnson
Tom Luicci
Myles Mack
Chris Carlin
Jerry Recco
Dick Lloyd
Bob Hurley
You had me until Bob Hurley.

Just want to add my thanks to you and your wife, Brian, for all you do for the Court Club and Rutgers basketball.

Reactions: BKIn118
I would be interested in someone like James Bailey; member of 76 team as a freshman, evolved to being start player subsequent years, played 9 seasons in NBA averaging almost 10 ppg. Have no idea how good of a speaker he is though.

I would be interested in someone like James Bailey; member of 76 team as a freshman, evolved to being start player subsequent years, played 9 seasons in NBA averaging almost 10 ppg. Have no idea how good of a speaker he is though.
JB lives in Texas, so that might be a bit of a commute...but I agree, he's a great name!

Phil Sellers is also a guy I've tried to get, but his life is crazy hectic and has had some recent health issues as well.

JB lives in Texas, so that might be a bit of a commute...but I agree, he's a great name!

Phil Sellers is also a guy I've tried to get, but his life is crazy hectic and has had some recent health issues as well.
Mike Dabney is at most if not all of the home games so I'm sure he'd have a lot to offer on the glory days as well as the present day.

BK...what about Bob Wenzel, though I realize he is busy doing color for games...possibly Marquis Webb, or a player from the 1991 squad?

BK...what about Bob Wenzel, though I realize he is busy doing color for games...possibly Marquis Webb, or a player from the 1991 squad?
Bob is still an active broadcaster and is based in Florida...

Marquis is definitely a possibility, as would be someone from the 91 team. Any one in particular?

Bruce Johnson
Tom Luicci
Myles Mack
Chris Carlin
Jerry Recco
Dick Lloyd
Bob Hurley

Getting Mike Rice as speaker would triple membership!

From the 91 team, I know Donnell Lumpkin still follows the team closely and comes to a lot of games

I'm sure you understand the 7 BILLION reasons why, despite my desire to perhaps do that, Coach Rice could never appear with us again
Guarantee you'd have the most extensive press coverage of a Court Club meeting if he did apear.:sunglasses:

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT