ADVERTISEMENT

COVID-19 Pandemic: Transmissions, Deaths, Treatments, Vaccines, Interventions and More...

Status
Not open for further replies.
M1,

There is an interesting political thing that seems to be going on here. California has been hitting new case highs almost daily basically tracking what's happening in Arizona, Texas and Florida, but California is not mentioned and it even did not make the list of states in Murphy's ban. And it isn't talked about in this thread, the other day California had more new cases than Texas, but only Texas was mentioned. Texas's Gov was called a moron, but nothing about Newsom. I bet some suspect that criticism is being aimed at Red state gov and not a Blue state gov.
I hear you on that. I would lump CA,TX, AZ, FL, GA and perhaps even Oregon on my uh-oh list regardless of state "color"

But that also doesn't address the question on why is CA in worse shape than FL? They are both not doing well, but objectively FL is being impacted more than CA is(CA has much larger pop).

Not good metrics there for CA.

But lets do the same for FL. As of today there are 122K cases in Florida. 75% of 122K is 91.5K cases. FL hit that number of cases on about jun 20th, which is less than a week ago. So CA has 25% of its cases in the last 2 weeks and FL has 25% of its cases in the last week. That metric seems to support more concern about what is happening in FL over CA.

interesting why you say Florida when California appears to be in worse shape
Because it’s a Red vs. Blue state thing and was quite obvious several days / weeks ago when the spike in cases became worse...all the deflection from anything run by liberals ...all the scorn and criticizing toward conservative/GOP...sure it’s politics anyway you look at it... on here the board leaders attempt to make it appear as if they have abstained on issues of politics ....they mix in science / medical articles off the internet and then if questioned or confronted by a differing opinion...they’ll label you as disruptive , inferior or even worse... see it’s like tossing shat up against a wall ...if it sticks it must be true... can’t wait until the DC state thread gets started ... there is a reason the left is once again pushing that as a topic ...if you give Washington D.C. statehood you can kiss goodbye anything related to our glorious history ... no federal control ...now that is well thought out by the lefties...

Reactions: bac2therac
I completely disagree. This is the way to handle this. When an area is not a problem leave it open. When it becomes a problem shut it down. When it gets better open it back up. Acting with common sense does not make someone a moron.

Lmao what? Or you can take some precautions so you can largely stay open without having to shut down businesses or have hospitals overrun. Hope you didn’t think that one through.

CE Folks, i.e., at least @T2Kplus10 @Greg2020 @Caliknight @rutgersdave @bac2therac @RUhasarrived @fsg2 @bossnj1 @BIGRUBIGDBIGredmachine and I'm sure more - could you please refrain from the bickering and insults that got the CE board here and on TOS and many OT threads on this board locked down or deleted? I will try to do the same. Believe it or not, quite a few people come to this thread for useful info on the coronavirus pandemic (one can debate whether folks should come here for that or not, but they do) and we've seen several complaining (and many more annoyed who don't speak up) about the thread going downhill since the CE board was closed. It doesn't mean don't post or even challenge each other, but I think we all know that there is constructive discussion/arguing vs. what we've mostly seen the last few pages. I'm sure quite a few other posters will thank you, as we have 200+ pages of mostly informative posting/dialogue in this thread. Thanks.

CE Folks, i.e., at least @T2Kplus10 @Greg2020 @Caliknight @rutgersdave @bac2therac @RUhasarrived @fsg2 @bossnj1 @BIGRUBIGDBIGredmachine and I'm sure more - could you please refrain from the bickering and insults that got the CE board here and on TOS and many OT threads on this board locked down or deleted? I will try to do the same. Believe it or not, quite a few people come to this thread for useful info on the coronavirus pandemic (one can debate whether folks should come here for that or not, but they do) and we've seen several complaining (and many more annoyed who don't speak up) about the thread going downhill since the CE board was closed. It doesn't mean don't post or even challenge each other, but I think we all know that there is constructive discussion/arguing vs. what we've mostly seen the last few pages. I'm sure quite a few other posters will thank you, as we have 200+ pages of mostly informative posting/dialogue in this thread. Thanks.

Numbers do you have an email chain where you're discussing this like you do with the weather? Would love to get on it. This thread was one of the first places I'd look for new info on the virus but over the last few weeks I can't even keep up. It's out of control.

For @bac2therac

Norway’s study on gyms found them to be safe so long as certain rules are strictly observed. Make sure your spotter doesn’t get too close!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/06/25/health/coronavirus-gyms-fitness.amp.html
Couldn't access that article but found another one that gets into it. The study hasn't been peer reviewed yet but one critique of the study was that people didn't get sick because none of the people who took part were likely sick to begin with because that area hadn't had many COVID cases in general. The critique was you want to know what happens when a COVID positive person comes to the gym...how risky is it for others in the gym. Basically, if you're in an area with low COVID cases there's a solid chance it's safe in a gym and if not then they wouldn't be so sure....that's kind of a "well duh" lol.

From the article:

Wondering whether it’s safe to go back to the gym? Norwegian gymgoers may have some good news for you. A study on the risk of coronavirus transmission in Oslo found that people who went to a gym were no more likely to get infected, or sick, than people who didn’t. Norway has reopened its gyms based on the tentative results, which were published as a preprint yesterday and still need to go through peer review.

But some epidemiologists aren’t so sure. It’s possible that no one was infected at those Oslo gyms because there were very few COVID-19 cases in the city when the study was done—not because working up a sweat on the treadmill or lifting weights in the midst of a pandemic is safe.

That doesn’t mean gyms are safe, says Darren Dahly, an epidemiologist at University College Cork. Over the weeks of the study, Oslo was reporting only a handful of new cases per day, with a maximum of 24 in 1 day. That means people in the study were already at very low risk, he says—possibly too low for a meaningful difference to be detected between the two groups.

Emily Smith, an epidemiologist at George Washington University, agrees. “There were zero sick people who went to the gym in this study,” she says. “We need to know what happens when people who are sick with COVID—but perhaps don’t yet have symptoms or have mild symptoms—go to the gym, take a spin class, and share a locker room with others.” Smith also points to the brief time period covered by the study: People who started to go to the gym a little later in the study period may have been exposed, but could have been tested too soon in the incubation period for the virus to be detectable.

Kalager agrees the results can’t determine whether it’s safe to go to the gym in places like Arizona “where the incidence of COVID-19 is much higher.” But in places with low numbers of new cases, “it’s safe,” she says.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/202...there-s-little-covid-19-around-study-suggests

I have never posted on the CE board besides once or twice. If I am attacked I will fight back though.

NJ is just now letting restaurants let people eat outside and the servers wear masks. This could have been allowed two months ago. Hundreds of small restaurant owners are going to be put out of business permanently because of the lack of action. Now, this restaurant owner lost their business and has gone through all their savings, and is unemployed. What advice would you offer them?
So you don't have any comment on Texas and Florida allowing restaurants to stay open but closing Bars? Aren't they choosing what business survives and who doesn't? No it could not have been done two months ago. Why don't you care about the 15,000 dead people in NJ who can never eat at any restaurant again?

If they came to this conclusion by using a study, observation, or some type of science, then I'm all for it. I doubt any effort was made. If so, I'd like to see it. Retail stores that didn't sell food had to close for three months. This was completely unnecessary. They could have stayed open, but required masks, just like Walmart did. By closing all other retail except for Walmart, instead of spreading shoppers out among many stores, we forced everyone to shop at Walmart and come closer in contact and doing the exact opposite of what was supposed to be accomplished, limiting the spread of the virus.
No one cares what you would like to see. If you wanna be involved run for office. Weird how you are okay with Florida and Texas allowing people to eat at restaurants though but not drink at bars.

the hubris in this post..how about looking and seeing the poster the past 24 hours that derailed this thread as he has done in most threads..its formerly....aka greg2020, not sure why you are bringing my name or the other half dozen posters on either side of the issues who have nothing to do with derailing the thread
I have done nothing except provide facts and rebut false arguments. Funny how all you and your CE gang calls me another poster because you don't like what I have to say.

So you don't have any comment on Texas and Florida allowing restaurants to stay open but closing Bars? Aren't they choosing what business survives and who doesn't? No it could not have been done two months ago. Why don't you care about the 15,000 dead people in NJ who can never eat at any restaurant again?

If they opened up the restaurants for outside dining with servers wearing masks two months ago, evidence suggests it would have been safe. I don't want any more deaths. Why do you keep on assuming that. I'm the one who has empathy. Your the one who lacks it. Now answer the question. What advice do you have to offer the restaurant owner who lost everything and is now unemployed. The one who was supporting his family with the business?

If they opened up the restaurants for outside dining with servers wearing masks two months ago, evidence suggests it would have been safe. I don't want any more deaths. Why do you keep on assuming that. I'm the one who has empathy. Your the one who lacks it. Now answer the question. What advice do you have to offer the restaurant owner who lost everything and is now unemployed. The one who was supporting his family with the business?
I'll answer your question when you answer mine. I have now asked you 6 times about Texas and Florida allowing restaurants to continue indoor service but closing all bars. Why do you not answer?

No one cares what you would like to see. If you wanna be involved run for office. Weird how you are okay with Florida and Texas allowing people to eat at restaurants though but not drink at bars.

I got involved by voicing my opinion. Here and everywhere else. I was joined by a million other parents and Murphy heard our voices and came to his senses, at least somewhat, and now he's going to allow kids to return to school in September. See how that works.

I got involved by voicing my opinion. Here and everywhere else. I was joined by a million other parents and Murphy heard our voices and came to his senses, at least somewhat, and now he's going to allow kids to return to school in September. See how that works.
It had nothing to do with you. It is about the science. See how that works.

Dammit. You are right #'s. This was an incredibly useful thread for me to hear intelligent people discuss a crisis that most of us have not seen before nor even contemplated. I don't consider it gospel, however, it provides links and (originally) intelligent reasoning that gave
me ideas and inspired me to research other ideas I might not have thought of on my own. Shit, isn't this the reason we decided to go to college and our beloved RU in the first place?
(Although it is a completely different subject, I wish we could identify who actually went to Rutgers that are posting on this board. I would like to identify in my own mind the one's I am embarrassed attended my school). I fully expect to be crucified for this post. Why can't supposedly intelligent people (RU graduates?) have the self control to keep the political shit off this valuable thread? I only recently joined Twitter so that I could get certain real time information for myself, rather than any media interpretation. I learned that, for example, you can click on Trump's thread and there will be many thousands of responses to every comment made by him, both positive and negative. Vent there. I was never a participant in the "CE thread". If that is what is happening now, please go away before another potentially valuable thread for the Rutgers community gets shut down because of a few emotionally challenged who cannot control themselves. And for godsakes, if you are an admitted troll, please **** off and seek professional treatment for your psychological problems.
I do not know you "Numbers", but thank you for your efforts and please keep hanging in there with this thread until we get through this crisis. I am no attention seeker, and rarely post. However, this bullshit is screwing up a good thread and pissing me off.

Moderators, I hope this doesn't get me banned, but where are you?

Last edited:
I'll answer your question when you answer mine. I have now asked you 6 times about Texas and Florida allowing restaurants to continue indoor service but closing all bars. Why do you not answer?

This makes sense. They didn't close them down completely at first and the number of cases rose too quickly, so they dialed it back. Now, it doesn't make sense to have an indoor bar open. That's too close in proximity without masks. Dining spaced out with servers wearing masks makes sense. They're managing risk and trying to limit harm. Yesterday, Texas had 8 deaths per 100,000 people putting them at 43 in the country. New York is at 61 deaths putting them at 1. Are you angry that they just didn't say to the restaurant owner, "screw you, just go out of business, life's not fair"?

Now answer the question. What advice do you have for the small restaurant owner in NJ who was put out of business due to the lockdown? He put all of his time and money into the business and now it's gone along with all his savings. He's now unemployed and has no means of supporting his family.

It had nothing to do with you. It is about the science. See how that works.

Right, Murphy heard us and decided to use science before making his decision. Up until today, he wasn't doing that. That has been my point all along. I'm glad you finally got it.

I have never posted on the CE board besides once or twice. If I am attacked I will fight back though.[/QUOTE

Yah, pretty sure I’ve never seen Greg2020 post there.
Fkr100 on the other hand, totally ruined the CE board, much like Greg2020 is doing here.

maybe you two are doppelgängers

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
Right, Murphy heard us and decided to use science before making his decision. Up until today, he wasn't doing that. That has been my point all along. I'm glad you finally got it.
So everything you like that Murphy does is based on science but everything you don't like that he does is just him doing what he wants for his own reasons? Do I have that right?

This makes sense. They didn't close them down completely at first and the number of cases rose too quickly, so they dialed it back. Now, it doesn't make sense to have an indoor bar open. That's too close in proximity without masks. Dining spaced out with servers wearing masks makes sense. They're managing risk and trying to limit harm. Yesterday, Texas had 8 deaths per 100,000 people putting them at 43 in the country. New York is at 61 deaths putting them at 1. Are you angry that they just didn't say to the restaurant owner, "screw you, just go out of business, life's not fair"?

Now answer the question. What advice do you have for the small restaurant owner in NJ who was put out of business due to the lockdown? He put all of his time and money into the business and now it's gone along with all his savings. He's now unemployed and has no means of supporting his family.
According to you they should accomodate gyms. Why isn't Texas or Florida accommodating bars? Plenty of bars have outside areas, yet they are shut. Plenty of bars have tables where they can space people out more than 6 feet, yet they are shut. There is no accommodation. Even if you are an all outside Bar, you are shut down. Explain to me how that's fair while restaurants can continue to operate indoors or out.

I hope the government gives them continued funding even if it means I have to pay higher taxes for it to happen.

You gotta think the protests have something to do with the spiking right? So on the construction sites I am going to less and less people are wearing masks. Only some places are mandatory. Its tuff to work all day in them

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT