ADVERTISEMENT

COVID-19 Pandemic: Transmissions, Deaths, Treatments, Vaccines, Interventions and More...

Status
Not open for further replies.
but now they are saying masks are the most important thing...so why did we shutdown at all then, why didnt we just wear masks and social distance while keeping most things open

remember half the deaths came from nursing homes
Because there were not enough masks. Hospital workers were reusing the same masks for weeks.

The memory of some people is incredibly short.

That’s not accurate. 44% of NJ deaths are from LTC. In comparison Florida is at 52%.

A lot of that depends on the measuring date. I went through that exercise a few weeks ago and for NJ it was between 55 and 60%. But that could have changed in the intervening period.

A lot of that depends on the measuring date. I went through that exercise a few weeks ago and for NJ it was between 55 and 60%. But that could have changed in the intervening period.
New Jersey hasn't been 55-60 percent as a cumulative number for many many weeks.

but now they are saying masks are the most important thing...so why did we shutdown at all then, why didnt we just wear masks and social distance while keeping most things open

remember half the deaths came from nursing homes
In hindsight, if we had the testing we needed to identify the very beginning of the outbreak, like they had in South Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong and other places and if everyone practiced distancing/mask wearing (they're complementary ways to slow/stop transmission) from the beginning, we would not have needed to shut down, just like those other countries. In fact, countries like Japan, Vietnam and Thailand didn't even do much testing, but had universal early masking (and excellent contact tracing/isolating) and they've kept cases/deaths far, far below ours and Europe's and parts of South/Central America - and none of these countries ever had to resort to draconian lockdowns. We let the virus spread way too far and fast to have any chance to control it in any way other than lockdowns, at least in the NE US. In my mask recap/review post earlier in this thread I mentioned all of this.

Also, you keep asking all these questions in this thread that I and others have answered before, including links to reputable sources. Did you truly not read these before?

In hindsight, if we had the testing we needed to identify the very beginning of the outbreak, like they had in South Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong and other places and if everyone practiced distancing/mask wearing (they're complementary ways to slow/stop transmission) from the beginning, we would not have needed to shut down, just like those other countries. In fact, countries like Japan, Vietnam and Thailand didn't even do much testing, but had universal early masking (and excellent contact tracing/isolating) and they've kept cases/deaths far, far below ours and Europe's and parts of South/Central America - and none of these countries ever had to resort to draconian lockdowns. We let the virus spread way too far and fast to have any chance to control it in any way other than lockdowns, at least in the NE US. In my mask recap/review post earlier in this thread I mentioned all of this.

Also, you keep asking all these questions in this thread that I and others have answered before, including links to reputable sources. Did you truly not read these before?

where is the reputable study and data on masks...i mean the published scientific reports that are generalized used to back up things....just saw the guy on tv who i posted the article about mask panic...he says the studies do not exist...at least in the form that science usually uses

where is the reputable study and data on masks...i mean the published scientific reports that are generalized used to back up things....just saw the guy on tv who i posted the article about mask panic...he says the studies do not exist...at least in the form that science usually uses
Are you joking or do you simply not read any of my posts? Earlier today I posted a rehash of a bunch of the science and epidemiology research (and outcomes research) on the effectiveness of masks. Being a scientist who has done all kinds of experiments and read much of the literature on filtration/removal of pathogens (including bacteria/viruses) I can unequivocally tell you that there is zero doubt that masks work to greatly reduce transmissions (not 100%, but close to it when everyone wears them). That's why I came out so early for them back in early/mid-March.

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/t...rventions-and-more.198855/page-2#post-4623412

No, he's trolling now and has been for the past few pages asking questions about things that have all been explained before.

no i am not trolling, i am asking questions because questions need to be asked

this is also disrespectful from you..ive seen this before from you when dealing with other posters you disagree with, you call them trolls...hey guess what, its a pandemic..you have been wrong, fauci has been wrong, trump has been wrong, murphy has been wrong, i have been wrong. Maybe you can check your ego here at the door. You do provide a lot of great stuff here yet your bias on everything and hubris toward other posters challenging your thoughts.....if you knew everything then why arent you working for the pandemic team today.

we need to challenge what we were are told, we have been told a hundred different things this started, i am not blaming anyone, yet everyone is to blame. Trust is another issue. Tough to trust..thats why questions need to be asked

for one I work for a living so I am not here to post all day

2ndly where are the multiple published studies. This guy who is an expert on bat borne illnesses is saying the data is very flimsy and not what science would nornally use...and he does actually support mask wearing in general

lets get back to discussing things instead of looking down on posters and calling them trolls. This is thread is open to all on the board and all opinions.

Last edited:
No, he's trolling now and has been for the past few pages asking questions about things that have all been explained before.
Yea, I'm aware, but I'll battle it out. I find just plugging away with facts makes them either accept the reality of the situation, simply go away, or maybe both.

Do you think we should wait till we are nearing hospital capacity to do something? Or is it better to be ahead of the curve?
We flatten the curve as requested and lowered the hospitalizations by 85%. Connecticut has gyms and inside dining open for 4 weeks with no issues. What are you going to hide in your basement for 6 months?

we need to challenge what we were are told, we have been told a hundred different things this started, i am not blaming anyone, yet everyone is to blame. Trust is another issue. Tough to trust..thats why questions need to be asked

2ndly where are the multiple published studies. This guy who is an expert on bat borne illnesses is saying the data is very flimsy and not what science would nornally use...and he does actually support mask wearing in general
+1
"Facts" over the past few months have been constantly changing. It's good to ask questions and demand evidence. Keep it up!

We flatten the curve as requested and lowered the hospitalizations by 85%. Connecticut has gyms and inside dining open for 4 weeks with no issues. What are you going to hide in your basement for 6 months?

they want no cases...he cannot identify where the goalpost ends because in some peoples minds it has to keep moving until we have deaths

its not political. Fauci said on 60 minutes interview that healthy people should not be walking around wearing masks...i didnt make that up, do you want to see the video
That was not the political reply I was talking about.

As per the video, Fauci did say masks were effective, and he also said i that video that the reason he is not recommending masks to the general public is because he wanted to preserve what masks we had for the medical professionals.

It's all in the one minute thirty second video.

People acting like Fauci said "masks are not effective" are pushing an obvious agenda.

Interesting ethical conversation regarding the future vaccine:

Researchers Debate Infecting People on Purpose to Test Coronavirus Vaccines

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/01/health/coronavirus-vaccine-trials.html

The technique, called a human challenge trial, has been used to evaluate other vaccines.

One way to quickly see if a coronavirus vaccine works would be to immunize healthy people and then deliberately expose them to the virus, some researchers are suggesting.

Proponents say this strategy, called a human challenge trial, could save time because rather than conducting tests the usual way — by waiting for vaccinated people to encounter the virus naturally — researchers could just infect them.

Challenge trials have been used to test vaccines for typhoid, cholera, malaria and other diseases. For malaria, volunteers have stuck their arms into chambers full of mosquitoes to be bitten and infected. But there were so-called rescue medicines to cure those who got sick. There is no cure for Covid-19.

For both ethical and practical reasons, the idea of challenge trials for a coronavirus vaccine has provoked fierce debate.

That was not the political reply I was talking about.

As per the video, Fauci did say masks were effective, and he also said i that video that the reason he is not recommending masks to the general public is because he wanted to preserve what masks we had for the medical professionals.

It's all in the one minute thirty second video.

People acting like Fauci said "masks are not effective" are pushing an obvious agenda.

he said it in the video plain and clear, it only took him until last week to clear it up..sorry he takes a huge amount of blame...and remember he wasnt wearing masks at the press conferences at all

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Interesting ethical conversation regarding the future vaccine:

Researchers Debate Infecting People on Purpose to Test Coronavirus Vaccines

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/01/health/coronavirus-vaccine-trials.html

The technique, called a human challenge trial, has been used to evaluate other vaccines.

One way to quickly see if a coronavirus vaccine works would be to immunize healthy people and then deliberately expose them to the virus, some researchers are suggesting.

Proponents say this strategy, called a human challenge trial, could save time because rather than conducting tests the usual way — by waiting for vaccinated people to encounter the virus naturally — researchers could just infect them.

Challenge trials have been used to test vaccines for typhoid, cholera, malaria and other diseases. For malaria, volunteers have stuck their arms into chambers full of mosquitoes to be bitten and infected. But there were so-called rescue medicines to cure those who got sick. There is no cure for Covid-19.

For both ethical and practical reasons, the idea of challenge trials for a coronavirus vaccine has provoked fierce debate.

is this where they are paying $250K...i mean for some people it might be worth the risk, you are in a controlled environment, if you are healthy and young why not go for it.

this is also disrespectful from you..ive seen this before from you when dealing with other posters you disagree with, you call them trolls...hey guess what, its a pandemic..you have been wrong, fauci has been wrong, trump has been wrong, murphy has been wrong, i have been wrong. Maybe you can check your ego here at the door. You do provide a lot of great stuff here yet your bias on everything and hubris toward other posters challenging your thoughts.....if you knew everything then why arent you working for the pandemic team today.

you have 145,000 posts. Not here to post all day lol.

they want no cases...he cannot identify where the goalpost ends because in some peoples minds it has to keep moving until we have deaths
Deaths are increasing in each of the states that people highlight as being the current major concerns.

We can also go through the timeline of the covid deniers.

First it was: These states have been opened yet cases are not rising.
Then it went to: Cases are rising, but positivity is still low.
Next was: Cases are up, positivity is up, but hospitalizations are not rising.
Then: Cases are up, positivity is up, hospitalizations are up, but deaths are not up.
Unfortunately we have reached the point where the deaths are rising in those states as well.

Last night the argument turned to yeah deaths are up but the numbers are not significant.

Well you can be sure those deaths will continue to rise until we do something. Hopefully we do something before those fatality numbers become significant.

is this where they are paying $250K...i mean for some people it might be worth the risk, you are in a controlled environment, if you are healthy and young why not go for it.
Not sure of the comp, but it would be significant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT