ADVERTISEMENT

COVID-19 Pandemic: Transmissions, Deaths, Treatments, Vaccines, Interventions and More...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would I do that. Seems more like something you would do you whiney bitch
kRgN0Q.gif

What a vicious personal attack! :)

Reactions: Knight177lb
Sorry but it is an opinion shared by 90% of this board, 70% of all American voters and I would guess over 90% of all Europeans.

Like I told you last week, we are each entitled to our own opinions. But for some reason whenever I post something against Trump, it sets you off. Find me one post you made in this whole thread, where I attacked your position(s) first.

I'll be happy to wait. It is really simple. If you disagree with what I post or Numbers post or anyone for that matter, simply ignore it or offer you own opinion w/o attacking the poster.
How many deaths the past 4 weeks ?
Proving my point to the letter. Angry much?
Did you read what you wrote vs. what I wrote? I don’t get angry ...believe me ...but by you continuing the nonsensical banter and attempting to provoke me ...You must be a real loser in life ...a real loser...lol

Last edited:
How many deaths the past 4 weeks ?

Did you read what you wrote vs. what I wrote? I don’t get angry ...believe me ...but by you continuing the nonsensical banter and attempting to provoke me ...You must be a real loser in life ...a real loser...lol

No your not angry. LOL.

And for the record, you made the initial unprovoked attack and are still making insults on a poster you know absolutely zero about from this morning into tonight. And I am not the first poster you have done this with.

So, Current Events Bob...............Now that I am a loser, a sad sack, stupid and live in white trash land, I hope you have got all your deep seated anger out of your system so you can sleep tonight. And try and not kick the dog on your way upstairs.

Reactions: Greg2020
A little preoccupied with Isaias, but came across this the other day and forgot to post it. I've been saying fomite (surface) transmission of the virus is likely trivial and this article, with quotes from numerous experts (and links to studies), further confirms that. Doesn't mean surface transmission is impossible, but it just seems very, very unlikely, except maybe in health care settings with very high viral loads from COVID patients.

Otherwise, within minutes a decent percentage of the virus on surfaces is known to be deactivated and the main risk is inhalation, so people aren't snorting viruses off of surfaces, plus dose really matters in getting infected, and the dose from someone's sneeze/cough/breath is orders of magnitude more than any dose one might get from touching a surface with some virus particles on it and then somehow breathing some of that virus in.

I think we'd do far better focusing on distancing/masking (and not touching/hugging people you can't be 100% sure are infection-free) and simply washing one's hands frequently than spending so much energy on decontaminating surfaces. Especially since, if surfaces were truly such a risk, they'll only get recontaminated very easily/frequently anyway. The two passages below are insightful.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/07/scourge-hygiene-theater/614599/

But in a July article in the medical journal The Lancet, Goldman excoriated those conclusions. All those studies that made COVID-19 seem likely to live for days on metal and paper bags were based on unrealistically strong concentrations of the virus. As he explained to me, as many as 100 people would need to sneeze on the same area of a table to mimic some of their experimental conditions. The studies “stacked the deck to get a result that bears no resemblance to the real world," Goldman said.

A good case study of how the coronavirus spreads, and does not spread, is the famous March outbreak in a mixed-use skyscraper in Seoul, South Korea. On one side of the 11th floor of the building, about half the members of a chatty call center got sick. But less than 1 percent of the remainder of the building contracted COVID-19, even though more than 1,000 workers and residents shared elevators and were surely touching the same buttons within minutes of one another. “The call-center case is a great example,” says Donald Schaffner, a food-microbiology professor who studies disease contamination at Rutgers University. “You had clear airborne transmission with many, many opportunities for mass fomite transmission in the same place. But we just didn’t see it.” Schaffner told me, “In the entire peer-reviewed COVID-19 literature, I’ve found maybe one truly plausible report, in Singapore, of fomite transmission. And even there, it is not a slam-dunk case. ”

A little preoccupied with Isaias, but came across this the other day and forgot to post it. I've been saying fomite (surface) transmission of the virus is likely trivial and this article, with quotes from numerous experts (and links to studies), further confirms that. Doesn't mean surface transmission is impossible, but it just seems very, very unlikely, except maybe in health care settings with very high viral loads from COVID patients.

Otherwise, within minutes a decent percentage of the virus on surfaces is known to be deactivated and the main risk is inhalation, so people aren't snorting viruses off of surfaces, plus dose really matters in getting infected, and the dose from someone's sneeze/cough/breath is orders of magnitude more than any dose one might get from touching a surface with some virus particles on it and then somehow breathing some of that virus in.

I think we'd do far better focusing on distancing/masking (and not touching/hugging people you can't be 100% sure are infection-free) and simply washing one's hands frequently than spending so much energy on decontaminating surfaces. Especially since, if surfaces were truly such a risk, they'll only get recontaminated very easily/frequently anyway. The two passages below are insightful.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/07/scourge-hygiene-theater/614599/

But in a July article in the medical journal The Lancet, Goldman excoriated those conclusions. All those studies that made COVID-19 seem likely to live for days on metal and paper bags were based on unrealistically strong concentrations of the virus. As he explained to me, as many as 100 people would need to sneeze on the same area of a table to mimic some of their experimental conditions. The studies “stacked the deck to get a result that bears no resemblance to the real world," Goldman said.

A good case study of how the coronavirus spreads, and does not spread, is the famous March outbreak in a mixed-use skyscraper in Seoul, South Korea. On one side of the 11th floor of the building, about half the members of a chatty call center got sick. But less than 1 percent of the remainder of the building contracted COVID-19, even though more than 1,000 workers and residents shared elevators and were surely touching the same buttons within minutes of one another. “The call-center case is a great example,” says Donald Schaffner, a food-microbiology professor who studies disease contamination at Rutgers University. “You had clear airborne transmission with many, many opportunities for mass fomite transmission in the same place. But we just didn’t see it.” Schaffner told me, “In the entire peer-reviewed COVID-19 literature, I’ve found maybe one truly plausible report, in Singapore, of fomite transmission. And even there, it is not a slam-dunk case. ”

Thank you #s for such terrific information. You are one of a handful of posters who make this thread so worth visiting. Please know that your hard work is valued.

Some Texas family posted an obituary blaming Trump and Abbott for their 80 year old father dying of the virus.The whole story is on the NY Post's website.Their vitriol may be misguided.Why would anyone look to government for a solution?

How many deaths the past

No your not angry. LOL.

And for the record, you made the initial unprovoked attack and are still making insults on a poster you know absolutely zero about from this morning into tonight. And I am not the first poster you have done this with.

So, Current Events Bob...............Now that I am a loser, a sad sack, stupid and live in white trash land, I hope you have got all your deep seated anger out of your system so you can sleep tonight. And try and not kick the dog on your way upstairs.
You are a coward ... you are no different as you have many times been involved in disputes and bickering with others. My deep seated anger is because of guys like you ... tough talk on the internet... spewing bullshat in order to draw attention to themselves... so you still have not told me your reason for your vile attack... senility can start at any age are you senile ? .you were saying you never heard of a revealing and so jokingly and it was a good natured... I said reveals had been around for awhile and we know It takes time in Albany ... I could care less what state you live in...

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
people like to make believe the south are the only people not following the rules. Go look at the Jersey Shore. Go look at the pictures from Europe. I saw a pic of a rave on the water in Germany. The "necessary" protests are far worse than any beach gathering or graduation party or gender reveal for that matter. You aren't going to keep people locked in their homes for months at a time, especially when they know the real risks to themselves and their family members. It's shocking that people might be tired of being locked up when they see prisoners being released and cities being destroyed while politicians make excuses for them.

Look up these two words.

Indoors.
Outdoors.

Some Texas family posted an obituary blaming Trump and Abbott for their 80 year old father dying of the virus.The whole story is on the NY Post's website.Their vitriol may be misguided.Why would anyone look to government for a solution?

Yeah why would anyone look to government to help solve a problem they requires collective action from hundreds of millions of people to solve?

Why can't adults refrain from name calling? The baiting posts as well. We know it ruins discussion, yet time and again we fall into the trap, and I don't pretend to be completely above the fray, but I at least try to walk away from these unproductive back and forths.

Show a little discipline.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/new-cases-50-states

More GOOD CV news - As of the 4AM update today on the Johns Hopkins Coronavirus site,... every state in the Southern US (unless you include WV and MD as southern) is in the "blue" 14 day downward trajectory category of COVID cases. The folks down there have reversed the trend and all heading in the right direction. Of course the media alarmists will try to retain their viewers and shock everyone with the deaths that will be occurring in the next few weeks before the lag of the cases dropping impacts the death numbers... but of course cases dropping / virus subsiding and general good news doesn’t keep viewers eyes on the screen... so we wont be hearing about the positive trend in cases on the news very much. Keep your eyes on the JH site. And the overall US new cases has also dropped and is heading downward. We are now back to a level of new cases that were last seen in early July.

Sad time in this country for sure. Science has not failed us, but politics sure has...

https://www.henryford.com/news/2020/08/hydroxychloroquine-an-open-letter

"Unfortunately, the political climate that has persisted has made any objective discussion about this drug impossible, and we are deeply saddened by this turn of events. Our goal as scientists has solely been to report validated findings and allow the science to speak for itself, regardless of political considerations. To that end, we have made the heartfelt decision to have no further comment about this outside the medical community – staying focused on our core mission in the interest of our patients, our community, and our commitment to clinical and academic integrity."

Why can't adults refrain from name calling? The baiting posts as well. We know it ruins discussion, yet time and again we fall into the trap, and I don't pretend to be completely above the fray, but I at least try to walk away from these unproductive back and forths.

Show a little discipline.

I believe it is the perception (and often reality) of anonymity that provides cover to the name callers and baiters. Along with some serious insecurity issues which, without this unfortunate social media megaphone, would have relegated many of these poseurs to the types of people spouting nonsense on street corners.

Historically most people would have simply walked past these babblers. Here we all just need to learn to hit the mental ignore button, and allow them to continue to fart in the wind.

Sad time in this country for sure. Science has not failed us, but politics sure has...

"Unfortunately, the political climate that has persisted has made any objective discussion about this drug impossible, and we are deeply saddened by this turn of events. Our goal as scientists has solely been to report validated findings and allow the science to speak for itself, regardless of political considerations. To that end, we have made the heartfelt decision to have no further comment about this outside the medical community – staying focused on our core mission in the interest of our patients, our community, and our commitment to clinical and academic integrity."
Wisr - you seem to be one of the few that has their head screwed on straight around here. Can you please bottom line all this HCQ stuff for me? Thanks.

Wisr - you seem to be one of the few that has their head screwed on straight around here. Can you please bottom line all this HCQ stuff for me? Thanks.
HCQ bruh? haha

prob something like "It's a conspiracy that Big Pharma is pulling the strings making sure we buy their products and not the cheaper HCQ"

Dude has been hawking this stuff for months

Wise hit the nail on the head. Politics has let us down big time. One reason why we all see different things is the problem with accurate data that all Americans can reliably depend on.

From the linked article:

"Aggregated COVID-19 case and death data by county, and often by age and race, is publicly available in much of the country. But few locales link those cases and deaths to other information typically collected on the individuals, such as their ZIP codes, occupations, living conditions, and known contacts with others ill with COVID-19. And according to the COVID Tracking Project, a volunteer organization launched by The Atlantic, no U.S. state or territory publicly provides a complete set of even such basic COVID-19 measures as total and pending tests; deaths and recovered patients; and current and cumulative hospitalizations, patients in intensive care units, and those using ventilators.

Bhatia and colleagues say detailed COVID-19 case data could be mined to find the combinations of factors most responsible for the “biggest bundles of hospitalizations and deaths.” He hypothesizes the data would, for example, confirm that even as commerce opens up, hospitalizations and deaths still primarily emerge from widely cited flashpoints, including elderly care facilities and large households that include infected essential workers who are asymptomatic or have mild symptoms and pass the disease to relatives who have risk factors making them more vulnerable to severe illness."

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/202...vid-19-cases-cripples-intervention-strategies

Reactions: Wolv RU
Somebody should tell that imbecile that RCTs have shown Remdesivir shows no significant mortality benefit against COVID. Yet that moron says it has reduced mortality by 30%. So the "gold standard" RCTs have shown no mortality benefit but his anecdotal view is correct? What study was he referencing for the 30% reduction? BTW, plenty of observational studies have shown HCQ to an even higher benefit than a 30% reduction.

Last edited:
Reactions: biker7766
Somebody should tell that imbecile that RCTs have shown Remdesivir shows no mortality benefit against COVID. Yet that moron says it has reduced mortality by 30%. So the "gold standard" RCTs have shown no mortality benefit but his anecdotal view is correct? What study was he referencing for the 30% reduction? BTW, plenty of observational studies have shown HCQ to an even higher benefit than a 30% reduction.

Remdesivir did show efficiency in a double blind randomized trial. That’s why it’s being used.

Remdesivir did show efficiency in a double blind randomized trial. That’s why it’s being used.
Reduction of hospitalization from 15 to 11 days. No significant mortality benefit. Nice try though...

Every randomized, controlled clinical trial with HCQ has shown no efficacy. The observational studies have shown a mix of benefit and no benefit, but observational studies are far less relevant than RCTs.

The p-value for the mortality comparison was not significant therefor no benefit. In Boulware's PEP study HCQ showed a reduction cases by those taking HCQ however it was not significant statistically hence the conclusion of no benefit. Same applies here there was no statistical benefit to mortality by remdesivir.

From the NIH on the study you linked:

https://www.covid19treatmentguidelines.nih.gov/antiviral-therapy/remdesivir/

"The mortality estimate by Day 14 was lower in the remdesivir arm than in the placebo arm (7.1% vs. 11.9%, respectively), but the difference was not statistically significant (HR 0.70; 95% CI, 0.47–1.04)."

FYI, the hazard ratio of 0.7 had a p-value > 0.05 and was not significant.

Every randomized, controlled clinical trial with HCQ has shown no efficacy. The observational studies have shown a mix of benefit and no benefit, but observational studies are far less relevant than RCTs.
Every as in how many exactly?

Agree that the politicization of HCQ, as practiced most heavily by the POTUS since the day the now discredited initial study by Raoult came out, has been unfortunate. However, I'm surprised you haven't excoriated the Ford study like most scientists/clinicians have, for the horrible randomization they used and apparently didn't even notice (with the HCQ group having far more people on steroids, far more white people and being 5-years younger).

The p-value for the mortality comparison was not significant therefor no benefit. In Boulware's PEP study HCQ showed a reduction cases by those taking HCQ however it was not significant statistically hence the conclusion of no benefit. Same applies here there was no statistical benefit to mortality by remdesivir.

From the NIH on the study you linked:

https://www.covid19treatmentguidelines.nih.gov/antiviral-therapy/remdesivir/

"The mortality estimate by Day 14 was lower in the remdesivir arm than in the placebo arm (7.1% vs. 11.9%, respectively), but the difference was not statistically significant (HR 0.70; 95% CI, 0.47–1.04)."

FYI, the hazard ratio of 0.7 had a p-value > 0.05 and was not significant.
Yep, remdesivir cannot claim a mortality benefit. Right now we have dexamethasone and very, very likely convalescent plasma showing mortality reduction (in a pooled statistical analysis of several controlled trials) and that's it. The CP study does bode very well, though, for the engineered antibody cocktails/treatments which should be ready by September. The Regeneron animal studies in macaques and hamsters look quite promising.

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.08.02.233320v1.full.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT