ADVERTISEMENT

COVID-19 Pandemic: Transmissions, Deaths, Treatments, Vaccines, Interventions and More...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somebody should tell that imbecile that RCTs have shown Remdesivir shows no significant mortality benefit against COVID. Yet that moron says it has reduced mortality by 30%. So the "gold standard" RCTs have shown no mortality benefit but his anecdotal view is correct? What study was he referencing for the 30% reduction? BTW, plenty of observational studies have shown HCQ to an even higher benefit than a 30% reduction.
That article doesn't mention remdesivir, but this one does. Really bad of Giroir to be so wrong on remdesivir - this guy is an MD and is supposed to know better.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrew...move-on-from-hydroxychloroquine/#dfe4bc5209f2

The question was posed to someone else, but I'll answer for myself only..
POTUS just wanted to try everything at our disposal to fight this virus. His exact words - "lets give it a shot".
That caused a backlash against use of a medicine that had been used safely for decades.
The fact that some are SO entrenched against it, tends to make many people skeptical as to why.

Reactions: Wolv RU
Have posted on all of them. Two in hospitalized patients and two for post exposure prophylaxis and one on pre-exposure prophylaxis, off the top of my head. Do you think we need more? Normally the answer would be no.
If you watched the Katz video I linked yesterday you would better understand why I asked the question. No combination tested even though from the very beginning that is what Raoult and others championed combined with no early treatment evaluation as mentioned by Katz. What we know is in late stage cases (hospitalized patients) there seems to be no benefit for HCQ given alone. But those who proposed or are involved with HCQ never expected much benefit at that stage. So those told us what we already expected.

A RCT of patients confirmed positive and treated early within first few days of symptoms has not been done. Why? How can we be this far along and not done it yet? That is what Risch, Katz, Martensen, myself, and many others are pointing out.

As pointed out by the Ford letter, people are too politicized to discuss this objectively. I (or Chris Martensen, etc) have never said HCQ works. In fact, we have asked for RCTs in combination with AZ and Zn in the early phase disease. So no one has been spectacularly wrong. In fact, we have been right that the right question has not been asked and studied as eloquently put by Katz in his video.

Last edited:
Clyde Lewis slams this promised vaccine on his show last night.
To listen:kxl.com/ground-zero-with-clyde-lewis-podcast/

As pointed out by the Ford letter, people are too politicized to discuss this objectively. I (or Chris Martensen, etc) have never said HCQ works. In fact, we have asked for RCTs in combination with AZ and Zn in the early phase disease. So no one has been spectacularly wrong. In fact, we have been right that the right question has not been asked and studied as eloquently put by Katz in his video.

India = giant population with high case rate. Their death rate is lower than other countries with high case rate. Guess why?

"The fix" has obviously been in..

As India skyrockets past 1 million coronavirus cases, a mystery surrounds death toll

NEW DELHI — As the coronavirus pandemic accelerates in the world's second-most populous nation, India has crossed a once-unthinkable threshold: 1 million confirmed cases, joining the United States and Brazil in a club no country wants to enter.

Yet behind the figure lies a paradox. India has arrived at this milestone with about half the number of deaths — 25,000 — as those two countries recorded at the same point in their outbreaks.

India’s comparatively low death rates — both as a percentage of total cases and per million population — are something of a mystery. The Indian government has cited the figures repeatedly to reassure a worried populace, saying such statistics show the country is faring better than many others in the pandemic.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...6aacac-c0a2-11ea-b178-bb7b05b94af1_story.html

India expands use of controversial drug for coronavirus despite safety concerns
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-01619-8

India = giant population with high case rate. Their death rate is lower than other countries with high case rate. Guess why?

"The fix" has obviously been in..

As India skyrockets past 1 million coronavirus cases, a mystery surrounds death toll

NEW DELHI — As the coronavirus pandemic accelerates in the world's second-most populous nation, India has crossed a once-unthinkable threshold: 1 million confirmed cases, joining the United States and Brazil in a club no country wants to enter.

Yet behind the figure lies a paradox. India has arrived at this milestone with about half the number of deaths — 25,000 — as those two countries recorded at the same point in their outbreaks.

India’s comparatively low death rates — both as a percentage of total cases and per million population — are something of a mystery. The Indian government has cited the figures repeatedly to reassure a worried populace, saying such statistics show the country is faring better than many others in the pandemic.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...6aacac-c0a2-11ea-b178-bb7b05b94af1_story.html

India expands use of controversial drug for coronavirus despite safety concerns
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-01619-8
SIAP, India uses HCQ extensively for malaria, and a pharma consultant I chatted with a while back believed the widespread HCQ use was instrumental in India's very low covid death rates.

If you watched the Katz video I linked yesterday you would better understand why I asked the question. No combination tested even though from the very beginning that is what Raoult and others championed combined with no early treatment evaluation as mentioned by Katz. What we know is in late stage cases (hospitalized patients) there seems to be no benefit for HCQ given alone. But those who proposed or are involved with HCQ never expected much benefit at that stage. So those told us what we already expected.

A RCT of patients confirmed positive and treated early within first few days of symptoms has not been done. Why? How can we be this far along and not done it yet? That is what Risch, Katz, Martensen, myself, and many others are pointing out.

The original, discredited Raoult study, which started all of this, sugggested HCQ was effective, but moreso in combination with azithromycin. Zinc wasn't even mentioned. HCQ by itself has been absolutely shown to be ineffective and HCQ + Az has also been shown to be ineffective in mild to moderately ill hospitalized patients, most recently in the NEJM paper I posted recently (a randomized/controlled, but unblinded, study). And I'm sure if an RCT including zinc is done and is ineffective, the HCQ army will ask about Vitamin D or echinacea.

There is no "safety concern" for HCQ. It's been an FDA approved drug for nearly half a century and used by millions of people, including myself. The only side effect I felt was weird dreams. I've used it multiple times going on third world surf trips and to Africa.

The question was posed to someone else, but I'll answer for myself only..
POTUS just wanted to try everything at our disposal to fight this virus. His exact words - "lets give it a shot".
That caused a backlash against use of a medicine that had been used safely for decades.
The fact that some are SO entrenched against it, tends to make many people skeptical as to why.
Do you really think people are so gullible as to believe your post here? People remember the many things Trump said about HCQ, but it all started with these tweets, which were far beyond, "let's give it a shot." And even since then, he's made countless statements, like "try it, what have you got to lose?" and even going so far as to tweet the story of that nutty alien demon seed doctor touting HCQ/Az/Zn. The outcome of all this hype was that 483,000 mor prescriptions for HCQ were written by doctors during the 10-week period between Feb. 17 and April 27 (vs. the same time period in 2019).

https://theconversation.com/when-tr...despite-little-evidence-that-it-worked-140156

eOj3RX0.png

Do you really think people are so gullible as to believe your post here? People remember the many things Trump said about HCQ, but it all started with these tweets, which were far beyond, "let's give it a shot." And even since then, he's made countless statements, like "try it, what have you got to lose?" and even going so far as to tweet the story of that nutty alien demon seed doctor touting HCQ/Az/Zn. The outcome of all this hype was that 483,000 mor prescriptions for HCQ were written by doctors during the 10-week period between Feb. 17 and April 27 (vs. the same time period in 2019).

https://theconversation.com/when-tr...despite-little-evidence-that-it-worked-140156

eOj3RX0.png
Yeah I don't have any problem with "try it, what have you got to lose?" and the other tweets that were an argument against the irrational idea being pushed in the media that HCQ was dangerous. This is a drug that has been used by millions over decades. In many countries it is available otc.

And if you think doctors are writing prescriptions because of his tweets then I have a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn. Doctors write prescriptions because they hope it might help their patient, and they are certain that it will not cause more harm.

Reactions: Wolv RU
First I was looking for answer not a lecture. 2nd I gave the first two thoughts that could explain it. Thanks for bringing nothing to the table to explain it. For the rest of you, my first thought is that heart attacks especially fatal heart attacks should be up for two reason. Stress is way high for everyone and people are putting off visits and are not taking care of themselves because no one wants to go to emergency room.

This is the last in a many series of articles I've read for over a month.

https://www.inquirer.com/health/cor...troke-heart-attack-delayed-care-20200723.html
What do they generally do for HIV/Aids---like when people die of lung issue, pneumonia, or other things. Is it limited to the actual issue or lumped up to HIV/Aids-aids related, etc?

eOj3RX0.png

Folks shouldn't be listening to that man for anything. His Axios interview today.. Christ. All you can say is heaven help us all. There should be zero question why we are in the shape we are in.

Won't get political beyond that.

Wise hit the nail on the head. Politics has let us down big time. One reason why we all see different things is the problem with accurate data that all Americans can reliably depend on.

From the linked article:

"Aggregated COVID-19 case and death data by county, and often by age and race, is publicly available in much of the country. But few locales link those cases and deaths to other information typically collected on the individuals, such as their ZIP codes, occupations, living conditions, and known contacts with others ill with COVID-19. And according to the COVID Tracking Project, a volunteer organization launched by The Atlantic, no U.S. state or territory publicly provides a complete set of even such basic COVID-19 measures as total and pending tests; deaths and recovered patients; and current and cumulative hospitalizations, patients in intensive care units, and those using ventilators.

Bhatia and colleagues say detailed COVID-19 case data could be mined to find the combinations of factors most responsible for the “biggest bundles of hospitalizations and deaths.” He hypothesizes the data would, for example, confirm that even as commerce opens up, hospitalizations and deaths still primarily emerge from widely cited flashpoints, including elderly care facilities and large households that include infected essential workers who are asymptomatic or have mild symptoms and pass the disease to relatives who have risk factors making them more vulnerable to severe illness."

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/202...vid-19-cases-cripples-intervention-strategies

I'm not sure the lack of information is political but it certainly seems borderline criminal to me. I cannot see any good reason why such data as mentioned in the quote you posted is not released. Why is there always fear of giving the public more information?

Reactions: albanyknight
Reactions: biker7766
I'm not sure the lack of information is political but it certainly seems borderline criminal to me. I cannot see any good reason why such data as mentioned in the quote you posted is not released. Why is there always fear of giving the public more information?
It would require a ton of work to link cases and severity of cases to such things as living conditions and known contacts(never mind the concerns of privacy). It would also provide so much information that it would take a ton of time to dig through and decipher the information. I'm seeing people unable to to distinguish basic reporting lags from dramatic decreases in cases. Yet you'd expect people to constructively dig through the mountain of data that was proposed?

Even better, to say that it is borderline criminal that the government is not doing this? C'mon man.

Yeah I don't have any problem with "try it, what have you got to lose?" and the other tweets that were an argument against the irrational idea being pushed in the media that HCQ was dangerous. This is a drug that has been used by millions over decades. In many countries it is available otc.

And if you think doctors are writing prescriptions because of his tweets then I have a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn. Doctors write prescriptions because they hope it might help their patient, and they are certain that it will not cause more harm.
I won't hit on the first part because I am unsure if having Covid and taking HCQ is different than a healthy person just taking HCQ when they visit a 3rd world country. But I understand the point you're getting at.

The second part I would whole heartedly disagree with. It trickles down, It is likely many people ask their doctors to give it to them, it's also likely that perhaps doctors felt pressure to issue that script.

It would require a ton of work to link cases and severity of cases to such things as living conditions and known contacts(never mind the concerns of privacy). It would also provide so much information that it would take a ton of time to dig through and decipher the information. I'm seeing people unable to to distinguish basic reporting lags from dramatic decreases in cases. Yet you'd expect people to constructively dig through the mountain of data that was proposed?

Even better, to say that it is borderline criminal that the government is not doing this? C'mon man.

Do you have any idea how much information is collected on you every time you are in front of the computer? Of course, then there's money in it so of course it is collected and can by broken down and analyzed in thousands of different ways. Compare that to what is known about covid demographics.

In any situation, you control the things you can control, and take advantage of every advantage you can get. These are extraordinary times. Collecting this information is just not that difficult compared to its potential value. It is readily available with mostly minimal effort. You think it is too hard to collect zip codes? occupations? total and pending tests? average time to get a test result? recovered patients? What about those things is so difficult to collect? Presenting data in a collective manner that doesn't identify any individuals doesn't violate anyone's privacy.

It is a massive failure that only the bare minimum of information is being collected. It prevents learning what the true optimal policies to fight covid are, and yes, given that this has been going on for five months now, that is borderline criminal.

The transformer across the street blew up a few hours ago so very few posts tonight with over 1MM without power in nj and a low priority for our small outage. Plus doing anything from a phone sucks IMO. Stay safe folks

Reactions: Greg2020
Rather impressive about face by Martenson in today's video, for anyone still following him. "Lockdowns create far more damage than the virus they are meant to address."

Apparently he's been following someone on twitter (@Covid19Crusher), who is interpreting case charts from countries around the world and concluding that herd immunity has been reached in many places. He talks about Sweden - no lockdown. Recent surge in cases in June but death rates remain very low, over a month later. Interprets this as meaning the really susceptible people have already been infected and most people now are getting minor cases. Also talks about NYC - same thing happened. They did implement a lockdown but only after covid was widespread. So the claim is that there won't be a significant second wave.

On the other hand, places like Florida, Texas, etc partially delayed the first wave through the short-lived lockdown measures. But when they relaxed the virus surged back...not a second wave but the delayed first wave. He thinks the recent declines in new cases (or flattening in some states) indicates the peak has been reached and most susceptible people have now been infected.

I guess we'll see. Schools will be starting up soon, with college students moving around the country. This seemed like a very out of character video from him. Interesting that the twitter guy referenced is also pushing HCQ.

California and Florida are definitely on the downward slope in terms of new cases. Although I wonder how much the hurricane effected testing in Florida, guess we’ll see in the coming days. I’m thinking Texas follows soon.

Reactions: Greg2020
Rather impressive about face by Martenson in today's video, for anyone still following him. "Lockdowns create far more damage than the virus they are meant to address."

Apparently he's been following someone on twitter (@Covid19Crusher), who is interpreting case charts from countries around the world and concluding that herd immunity has been reached in many places. He talks about Sweden - no lockdown. Recent surge in cases in June but death rates remain very low, over a month later. Interprets this as meaning the really susceptible people have already been infected and most people now are getting minor cases. Also talks about NYC - same thing happened. They did implement a lockdown but only after covid was widespread. So the claim is that there won't be a significant second wave.

On the other hand, places like Florida, Texas, etc partially delayed the first wave through the short-lived lockdown measures. But when they relaxed the virus surged back...not a second wave but the delayed first wave. He thinks the recent declines in new cases (or flattening in some states) indicates the peak has been reached and most susceptible people have now been infected.

I guess we'll see. Schools will be starting up soon, with college students moving around the country. This seemed like a very out of character video from him. Interesting that the twitter guy referenced is also pushing HCQ.
Florida didn’t have a delayed first wave because everyone was in lockdown. People in Florida were ignoring any lockdown in April and may. It was a big party.

Very interesting. It appears that (very) roughly half of people are immune. Of those that are not immune, (very) roughly half are asymptomatic. However, being asymptomatic does not mean that you can’t have issues down the line.

Extremely bizarre virus. Almost seems....*sips tea*...unnatural.

sounds like a real winner

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT