ADVERTISEMENT

COVID-19 Pandemic: Transmissions, Deaths, Treatments, Vaccines, Interventions and More...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting:

Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine Tests Positive, Then Negative For COVID-19

Hours after announcing he had tested positive for COVID-19, Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine said on Thursday evening that a second test for the virus came back negative.

DeWine announced that he was administered an antigen test in the morning and a PCR test in the afternoon, and was more confident in the results of the latter.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/08/06/899798411/ohio-gov-mike-dewine-tests-positive-for-the-coronavirus

Without those studies what do you think of the mortality rates in countries that have prior widespread HCQ use such as India? Or the spike in fatalities in Switzerland that came a couple weeks after HCQ use was stopped, but then flattened a couple weeks after it was reintroduced?

I have my doubts about the accuracy of India's death rates, given their high poverty rate and poor healthcare for the poor - plus, their case and death rates are climbing. In addition, there were two studies of HCQ in health care workers in India (neither of which looked to be very well run), one showing prophylactic benefit and one not showing any - also, these studies were only using HCQ, so if Zn was so important, why would India be having such success without it or AZ (not that I believe they are)? I also have seen people talking about Switzerland, but haven't seen any data on it, so hard to comment.

It's also difficult to truly analyze countries with any precision on something like HCQ or any drug usage without solid data on who's being treated with what and we'd need to know a lot more than what we currently know at the country level (in a perfect world, we'd have data on every patient's treatment and disease severity in the world), which is why I fall back on what the randomized controlled trials have shown. As an aside, there are also many countries with very low COVID death rates that don't use HCQ, so it's quite possible that even if we could verify high HCQ usage in a country, that there is some other factor controlling death rates in that country.

Mortality rates per capita are affected by many things. As I've said countless times, the biggest variable correlated to deaths per capita is cases per capita, i.e. those countries that prevent infections have all done the best. If you go to Worldometers and look at the 90 countries with over 10MM in population (ruling out some small countries with odd data), the vast majority of countries with over 2000 cases/1MM have well over 100 deaths/1MM and all the countries with over 400 deaths/1MM have more than 3000 cases/1MM. On the flip side, every country (with one exception; about 40 of them) that has less than 500 cases/1MM has <25 deaths/1MM.

Reactions: Greg2020
Even more convincing data just out from a South Korean study that infected people who are and remain asymptomatic, never getting symptoms, carry fairly high levels of the virus and are very likely key sources of infection for others - even though they might not be coughing or sneezing, that is quite possibly balanced out by then not sitting at home not feeling well, like many/most symptomatic patients infected with the virus. The study also found that about 30% of all those infected are true asymptomatics - as opposed to people who are pre-symptomatic, but later go on to have symptoms. A Times article and the paper are linked below.

Obviously, this reinforces the heart of the argument for masks/distancing, since we simply don't know who might be infected and contagious (and masks will reduce viral particles/droplets from their breath reaching others); it's also why contact tracing and isolating those who have been in contact with those known to be infected are so important, as this can prevent asymptomatic, but contagious people from mingling in society, causing flare-ups to become outbreaks. It's also why waiting more than a day for test results is just unacceptable, since so many will likely not self-isolate for days to a week or more without a positive test.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/06/health/coronavirus-asymptomatic-transmission.html

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/fullarticle/2769235

A lot to like about the Novavax vaccine. Gotta think this one is towards the top among all candidates. Really crazy that all the vaccines so far have been pretty successful. Some might fail in Phase 3, but things continue to trend well here.

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2020/08/06/vaccine-data-from-novavax

Great source. :Sly:

Derek seemed pretty upbeat with the Novavax results so far. Nice to see the first recombinant coronavirus protein approach, where the entire spike protein is essentially being injected as the antigen the body will respond to (producing antibodies and T-cells). This one also comes with an "adjuvant" which is often some sort of chemical that improves bioavailability or active transport of some "drug" making it perform better and in this case, the patients dosed with the protein and the adjuvant responded with far more production of antibodies. I liked his last paragraph:

These look like strong results, and I’m glad that this candidate is in human efficacy trials. That’s something to emphasize – we’re all (naturally enough) trying to make what calls we can based on the Phase I immunogenicity data and the non-human-primate challenge experiments. But what matters is real human data from out in the field via the Phase II/III clinical trials. Right now, we have several vaccines that look like they will have good chances of working (this one very much among them). And we’re going to sort them out the only way that they can be sorted.

Even more convincing data just out from a South Korean study that infected people who are and remain asymptomatic, never getting symptoms, carry fairly high levels of the virus and are very likely key sources of infection for others - even though they might not be coughing or sneezing, that is quite possibly balanced out by then not sitting at home not feeling well, like many/most symptomatic patients infected with the virus. The study also found that about 30% of all those infected are true asymptomatics - as opposed to people who are pre-symptomatic, but later go on to have symptoms. A Times article and the paper are linked below.

Obviously, this reinforces the heart of the argument for masks/distancing, since we simply don't know who might be infected and contagious (and masks will reduce viral particles/droplets from their breath reaching others); it's also why contact tracing and isolating those who have been in contact with those known to be infected are so important, as this can prevent asymptomatic, but contagious people from mingling in society, causing flare-ups to become outbreaks. It's also why waiting more than a day for test results is just unacceptable, since so many will likely not self-isolate for days to a week or more without a positive test.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/06/health/coronavirus-asymptomatic-transmission.html

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/fullarticle/2769235

I know that you really like masks, and I'm not saying masks and social distancing aren't important. But It seems to me that there is evidence that places that were previously hit hardest with the SARS virus have fared very well with Covid19 (SARS2). There could be a portion of SK's population that has immunity because of previous exposure to SARS.

Exactly why we need our gyms open!!!!

Not really. It is almost all diet related and not working out.

My wife is an exercise physiologist and has not been to a gym in over 30 years. She is 5"2 and between 100 to 105 pounds at 63 years old.

You also can do it by being active just walking your dog or gardening. Going to a gym for an 1 or 2 most days and then sitting around the rest of the day is not the answer

I know that you really like masks, and I'm not saying masks and social distancing aren't important. But It seems to me that there is evidence that places that were previously hit hardest with the SARS virus have fared very well with Covid19 (SARS2). There could be a portion of SK's population that has immunity because of previous exposure to SARS.
About 15K SARS cases in SK and SARS did not have the same issue with high numbers of asymptomatic patients, but even if it did have ~10X more infected than diagnosed (like COVID) that would still only be 150K out of 50MM people (0.3%), so that's doubtful.

The T-cell "cross-reactivity" being talked about in the literature is most likely based on previous exposures to other endemic coronaviruses (common cold ones), which many/most in the world have been exposed to and it would seem doubtful that SK is "different" from elsewhere in that respect. We also still don't know if that cross-reactivity confers none, some, or total immunity in some range of people.

Doesn't mean there's no possibility that some areas don't have some more "natural immunity" than others, but it seems like a very small probability to me (and others I've read). Also, SK at one time had the worst outbreak in the world, which they clearly took very aggressive steps to contain and reduce, including near universal mask wearing.

Here's a link to some very recent data on obesity prevalence in the US.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/products/databriefs/db360.htm

With age-adjusted prevalence being 42.4% (and rising!), I'm unsure that looking at reducing obesity is an even remotely sensible answer for addressing the COVID nightmare.

What, are we going to stop all marketing of "bad" foods? Make healthy foods cheaper than unhealthy alternatives? Hardly sounds like what the "market knows all" people would want! Or perhaps we are going to invest in an entirely new education campaign? Can't wait to hear the objections from the "we're wasting $s because people are responsible for their own lives" believers. And what about the "freedom fighters" who want to eat what they want to eat, dammit!

Based on who brings it up every so often and the sorts of stuff they post, I do have a hypothesis as to why obesity keeps coming up here as a topic. But I have no interest in pursuing it (as in my hypothesis) further.

Great source. :Sly:

Derek seemed pretty upbeat with the Novavax results so far. Nice to see the first recombinant coronavirus protein approach, where the entire spike protein is essentially being injected as the antigen the body will respond to (producing antibodies and T-cells). This one also comes with an "adjuvant" which is often some sort of chemical that improves bioavailability or active transport of some "drug" making it perform better and in this case, the patients dosed with the protein and the adjuvant responded with far more production of antibodies. I liked his last paragraph:

These look like strong results, and I’m glad that this candidate is in human efficacy trials. That’s something to emphasize – we’re all (naturally enough) trying to make what calls we can based on the Phase I immunogenicity data and the non-human-primate challenge experiments. But what matters is real human data from out in the field via the Phase II/III clinical trials. Right now, we have several vaccines that look like they will have good chances of working (this one very much among them). And we’re going to sort them out the only way that they can be sorted.

Ha, yeah that guy is pretty good.

I think what’s even more telling on what the insiders think about this vaccine candidate are the deals it struck today. 1 billion to India and other emerging countries and another 250 million to Japan. We already have 100 million reserved for the end of the year.

Easy to say as someone who lives smack dab between Shop Rite, Whole Foods, McCaffreys, and Trader Joe’s and has big pharma $. That’s not everyone’s reality.
Whole Foods, yeah! Also, we have a ton of organic farm markets to enjoy. :)

Not really. It is almost all diet related and not working out.

My wife is an exercise physiologist and has not been to a gym in over 30 years. She is 5"2 and between 100 to 105 pounds at 63 years old.

You also can do it by being active just walking your dog or gardening. Going to a gym for an 1 or 2 most days and then sitting around the rest of the day is not the answer
Agreed, it is most about how much you eat. However, going to gyms helps foster the "healthy" mindset and is valuable.

I never go to gyms, but have been at my ideal weight for years. Hint.....I eat much less now than I did when I was younger.

A while back I told everyone about my buddy who was very sick and was waiting for the results of his Covid-19 test, I had dinner (and lots of Sangria) with him last night and he filled me in, when the test came back it was negative and his doctor couldn't believe it, she was sure it was the virus, had him tested again and same result - negative.

She was at a dead end so she asked him if they could draw enough blood to test for everything, he submitted and he said they drew 6 vials of blood from him.

Result - Lyme Disease
What were his symptoms? How is he doing now? I assume at least somewhat better since he is downing sangria lol.

FYI - great collaboration by Big Pharma! This will significantly help with the supply shortage:

Pharmaceutical giant Pfizer announced it has agreed to manufacture and supply Gilead Sciences’ antiviral drug remdesivir.

The multi-year agreement will support efforts to scale up the supply of the intravenous drug, which has shown to help shorten the recovery time of some hospitalized coronavirus patients, the company said. Pfizer will manufacture the drug at its McPherson, Kansas facility.

The deal comes as Pfizer continues its effort to produce a potential vaccine for the coronavirus. Last week, the company said it began a late-stage trial that will include about 30,000 participants. If it is successful, they expect to submit it for final regulatory review as early as October. —Berkeley Lovelace Jr.

FYI - great collaboration by Big Pharma! This will significantly help with the supply shortage:

Pharmaceutical giant Pfizer announced it has agreed to manufacture and supply Gilead Sciences’ antiviral drug remdesivir.

The multi-year agreement will support efforts to scale up the supply of the intravenous drug, which has shown to help shorten the recovery time of some hospitalized coronavirus patients, the company said. Pfizer will manufacture the drug at its McPherson, Kansas facility.

The deal comes as Pfizer continues its effort to produce a potential vaccine for the coronavirus. Last week, the company said it began a late-stage trial that will include about 30,000 participants. If it is successful, they expect to submit it for final regulatory review as early as October. —Berkeley Lovelace Jr.
So great. #GoPharma :USA: :America: :AmericanFlag::USA: :America: :AmericanFlag::USA: :America: :AmericanFlag::USA: :America: :AmericanFlag:

About 15K SARS cases in SK and SARS did not have the same issue with high numbers of asymptomatic patients, but even if it did have ~10X more infected than diagnosed (like COVID) that would still only be 150K out of 50MM people (0.3%), so that's doubtful.

The T-cell "cross-reactivity" being talked about in the literature is most likely based on previous exposures to other endemic coronaviruses (common cold ones), which many/most in the world have been exposed to and it would seem doubtful that SK is "different" from elsewhere in that respect. We also still don't know if that cross-reactivity confers none, some, or total immunity in some range of people.

Doesn't mean there's no possibility that some areas don't have some more "natural immunity" than others, but it seems like a very small probability to me (and others I've read). Also, SK at one time had the worst outbreak in the world, which they clearly took very aggressive steps to contain and reduce, including near universal mask wearing.

I was in South Korea last summer for 2 weeks. The last 48 hours I was there I got hit with a wicked cold and sneezed constantly. It mostly passed for the flight. Typically when I get a cold it lingers for a week or two, but this one I felt fine after 3-4 days. I was in NYC for 3 days right before the lockdown, when basically no one was wearing masks. Hoping that I got some of this miracle immunity or something similar from that Korea cold, but certainly not counting on it.

I love big pharma as much as anyone, but posts like these are so cringy. :Laughing
I spent 30+ years at Merck and it's cringe-worthy. By and large I think Big Pharma tries to do the right thing, but there have been more than a few black eyes over the years. My biggest complaint has been the government approving direct-to-consumer advertising, which has coincided with the significant drop off in public "trust" in Pharma. As Roy Vagelos, esteemed former CEO of Merck has said, DTC has led to the industry “wasting a lot of goodwill.” R&D budgets have shrunk almost everywhere and that $$ is now spent on DTC ads, which is good for sales, but doesn't really improve health much and pisses off quite a few people who see ads all day on TV and they know how much that all costs. I'd rather have that $$ spent on R&D.

With age-adjusted prevalence being 42.4% (and rising!), I'm unsure that looking at reducing obesity is an even remotely sensible answer for addressing the COVID nightmare.

What, are we going to stop all marketing of "bad" foods? Make healthy foods cheaper than unhealthy alternatives? Hardly sounds like what the "market knows all" people would want! Or perhaps we are going to invest in an entirely new education campaign? Can't wait to hear the objections from the "we're wasting $s because people are responsible for their own lives" believers. And what about the "freedom fighters" who want to eat what they want to eat, dammit!

Based on who brings it up every so often and the sorts of stuff they post, I do have a hypothesis as to why obesity keeps coming up here as a topic. But I have no interest in pursuing it (as in my hypothesis) further.

Well, the biggest critic of obesity on this board (T2K) happens to be about 6'8" and weighs about 150 pounds, so your hypothesis is correct, lol...

yes Americans being fat may exacerbate deaths (may be fair to compare to the UK on this). But I would still think Americans mentality of not letting other people tell them what to do is what drives the
I spent 30+ years at Merck and it's cringe-worthy. By and large I think Big Pharma tries to do the right thing, but there have been more than a few black eyes over the years. My biggest complaint has been the government approving direct-to-consumer advertising, which has coincided with the significant drop off in public "trust" in Pharma. As Roy Vagelos, esteemed former CEO of Merck has said, DTC has led to the industry “wasting a lot of goodwill.” R&D budgets have shrunk almost everywhere and that $$ is now spent on DTC ads, which is good for sales, but doesn't really improve health much and pisses off quite a few people who see ads all day on TV and they know how much that all costs. I'd rather have that $$ spent on R&D.
Very interesting, is this illegal elsewhere?

Oh please
He's right. It is a real issue. Do you think you're getting free-range chickens down at the corner bodega or convenience store? Access to healthy food or even enough food is a big problem for many. I will say that it is good to see more supermarkets enter urban areas as part of re-development plans. Whole Foods in Newark comes to mind. A good trend but much more work to be done.

Another issue present now is people struggling or impacted financially by COVID-19 who find themselves going to food banks for the first time. What do you get there? Non-perishables, canned and processed- not always the healthiest. When I donate locally, I try to keep health in mind, but sometimes with non-perishables, there's not much you can do. Eating is better than going hungry.

Wait till the Swamp runs national pharma completely! :ThumbsDown

yes Americans being fat may exacerbate deaths (may be fair to compare to the UK on this). But I would still think Americans mentality of not letting other people tell them what to do is what drives the

Very interesting, is this illegal elsewhere?

Almost everywhere else; only the US and New Zealand have completely legal (but regulated) DTC advertising and we didn't have that until the mid-90s, as per the Wiki excerpt below. In most places, DTCA is illegal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct-to-consumer_advertising

Partial deregulation[edit]
A 1996 marketing campaign for then-prescription allergy medication Claritin found a loophole, by intentionally excluding information about the medication itself from its advertising. Clartin's television commercial contained only imagery, slogans such as "It's time for Claritin" and "Clear days and nights are here", and instructions to ask a doctor or call a phone number to request more information.[9][10] In 1997, the FDA issued new guidelines that intended to make DTCM on radio and television less burdensome. In particular, the FDA clarified that informing the audience of where the "brief summary" can be obtained (such as a magazine ad, phone hotline, or website) constituted "adequate provision" of risk information, and thus relieved them from being included in the ad. The FDA also recognized reminder ads (such as the aforementioned Claritin ad) as not being subject to these rules, since they do not make any claims or statements regarding the indications and benefits of the medication.[4][5]

The industry quickly took advantage of the new guidelines: by 1998, advertising spending on DTCA had reached $1.12 billion.[5][28][26] Despite this growth, there were concerns that some ads had an insufficient focus on properly discussing the product, while concerns were also shown for the advertising of erectile dysfunction medications during programming that may be widely watched by children. In 2005, Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) instituted new voluntary guidelines for DTCA, including requirements to voluntarily submit ads to the FDA for review and educate health professionals on new medications before an advertising campaign commences, use clear language in advertising, obtain appropriate age targeting for advertisements involving subject matter that may be inappropriate to certain audiences, and to not use "reminder" ads.[29][30] By 2011, spending on pharmaceutical advertising had grown to approximately US$4.5 billion per year,[26][31] and increased to $5.2 billion by 2016.[32]

With the increasing spending, DTCA began to face opposition. In 2015, the American Medical Association's house of delegates voted in favor of a motion supporting the prohibition of DTCA, arguing that these marketing efforts contribute to the high cost of drugs, and "inflates demand for new and more expensive drugs, even when these drugs may not be appropriate".[33] On March 4, 2016, Senator Al Franken introduced the Protecting Americans from Drug Marketing Act, which proposed the removal of tax breaks for pharmaceutical companies who engage in DTCA. Franken similarly showed concerns that the industry was spending too much on marketing. In a similar move, representative Rosa DeLauro called for a three-year moratorium on advertising of newly-approved prescription drugs.[34][32]

my prediction is that health insurance premiums will eventually be tied to weight and diet. when we go cashless, you wont be able to hide whether you bought twinkies or lettuce.

my prediction is that health insurance premiums will eventually be tied to weight and diet. when we go cashless, you wont be able to hide whether you bought twinkies or lettuce.
It has been going that way. I know that where I work there were lower contribution incentives based on your enrollment in a preventative health and wellness program.

Reactions: LC-88
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT