ADVERTISEMENT

COVID-19 Pandemic: Transmissions, Deaths, Treatments, Vaccines, Interventions and More...

Status
Not open for further replies.
my prediction is that health insurance premiums will eventually be tied to weight and diet. when we go cashless, you wont be able to hide whether you bought twinkies or lettuce.

And the next step is to start charging extra for mean-spirited, cranky trolls, who are less healthy and don't live as long as nicer people with sunnier dispositions...insurance companies will do their research on social media, lol...

I spent 30+ years at Merck and it's cringe-worthy. By and large I think Big Pharma tries to do the right thing, but there have been more than a few black eyes over the years. My biggest complaint has been the government approving direct-to-consumer advertising, which has coincided with the significant drop off in public "trust" in Pharma. As Roy Vagelos, esteemed former CEO of Merck has said, DTC has led to the industry “wasting a lot of goodwill.” R&D budgets have shrunk almost everywhere and that $$ is now spent on DTC ads, which is good for sales, but doesn't really improve health much and pisses off quite a few people who see ads all day on TV and they know how much that all costs. I'd rather have that $$ spent on R&D.
As long as Merck doesn't pull any more Vioxx scandals, we should be okay. Merck is the industry's Penn State.....way past their prime, very weird place, responsibly for the biggest scandal in industry history.

Otherwise, go pharma! They will save the world.....again.

my prediction is that health insurance premiums will eventually be tied to weight and diet. when we go cashless, you wont be able to hide whether you bought twinkies or lettuce.
+1
Good idea. Obesity is the main driver of most chronic health issues.....diabetes, health disease, cancer, etc. Those that live an unhealthy lifestyle should pay more for coverage.

Some folks don't understand the basics of personal responsibility and quality nutrition. As you can tell, those complaining are:

FAT! :)

You are the expert. Eating yourself into the husky section took impressive commitment to unbridled abdication of personal responsibility.

At least you didn't have to change stores ...the BIG comes with the tall! :Laughing

You are the expert. Eating yourself into the husky section took impressive commitment to unbridled abdication of personal responsibility.

At least you didn't have to change stores ...the BIG comes with the tall! :Laughing
Always need tall stuff, never needed big. Don't be jealous! I can give you advice and help you get down to a healthy weight. [roll]

Always need tall stuff, never needed big. Don't be jealous! I can give you advice and help you get down to a healthy weight. [roll]

Nah, you've already said here that you were overweight. And that you're too lazy to exercise. Which is fine when you're not trying to be sanctimonious about it.

I don't need any advise and will likely spend more time out exercising than you spend here trolling this weekend. But if I ever do need advise, I'll look for someone who didn't defy the rules of biology by packing excess fat onto his skeleton!

Nah, you've already said here that you were overweight. And that you're too lazy to exercise. Which is fine when you're not trying to be sanctimonious about it.

I don't need any advise and will likely spend more time out exercising than you spend here trolling this weekend. But if I ever do need advise, I'll look for someone who didn't defy the rules of biology by packing excess fat onto his skeleton!
Why exercise when I have a very active lifestyle? Biking, hiking, and enjoying the outdoors with my family. I am sorry you are overweight and unhappy about it, but once again, I'm here to help!

Getting back to the issue at hand:

US obesity epidemic could undermine effectiveness of a Covid-19 vaccine

(Kaiser Health News) For a world crippled by the coronavirus, salvation hinges on a vaccine.

But in the United States, where at least 4.6 million people have been infected and nearly 155,000 have died, the promise of that vaccine is hampered by a vexing epidemic that long preceded Covid-19: obesity.

Scientists know that vaccines engineered to protect the public from influenza, hepatitis B, tetanus and rabies can be less effective in obese adults than in the general population, leaving them more vulnerable to infection and illness. There is little reason to believe, obesity researchers say, that Covid-19 vaccines will be any different.

"Will we have a Covid vaccine next year tailored to the obese? No way," said Raz Shaikh, an associate professor of nutrition at the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill.

"Will it still work in the obese? Our prediction is no."

More than 107 million American adults are obese, and their ability to return safely to work, care for their families and resume daily life could be curtailed if the coronavirus vaccine delivers weak immunity for them.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/05/health/obesity-covid-vaccine-effectiveness-wellness/index.html

Reactions: fsg2
Because you want to get rid of your moobs?! I can't imagine how low they hang on that frame:WideSmile:

But we can agree an active lifestyle is the way to go. Just finished up a dusk bike ride - gorgeous.

Enjoy the weekend.

Reactions: Greg2020
Swedish doctor from the frontline lays truthbombs on what he thinks about coronavirus, Sweden is now a success story with just a few deaths if that a day and very very few new cases

https://sebastianrushworth.com/2020/08/04/how-bad-is-covid-really-a-swedish-doctors-perspective/

Thanks for your post about Sweden. Typed up a response for you some time ago.

Ok just so we can move past this cyclical bull shit. Going to sum this up so it can be copied and pasted later when this convo resurfaces in a week.

One of Proud NJ, T2K and their assorted troll companions
"Sweden is doing great, we should be like them (insert graphs of death trending downward) and they did it without a lockdown"

Numbers response
"They are not doing well, here is data to show that compared to comparable countries they are doing far, far worse"

Trolls
option a- Something about LTC facilities
option b- It's unfair to compare Sweden to x country because of their population is unlike any others.

rinse and repeat.

Some tidbits from around the world from the Times (scroll to the bottom of the link for their global roundup)...

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/27/..._BANNER&context=storylines_menu#link-5e8a1d38
  • Vietnam, which on Saturday broke a streak of 100 days without a local virus transmission, will evacuate 80,000 people from the central city of Danang after four residents there tested positive this weekend.
  • Hong Kong will prohibit dining in restaurants, limit public gatherings to two people and require mask-wearing in public at all times, officials said on Monday, reacting to a spike in coronavirus cases. The territory reported 145 cases on Monday, its highest single-day count since the pandemic began.
  • Belgium’s prime minister reinstated strict social-distancing rules on Monday, saying she was taking aggressive steps to avoid another lockdown. She ordered Belgians not to socialize with more than five people and restricted all shopping visits to 30 minutes. Such measures were in place this spring, as Belgium was just emerging from a strict lockdown. Belgium’s infection numbers remain small but are increasing quickly, particularly in the second-largest city, Antwerp.
  • Lebanon on Monday ordered bars, houses of worship, cinemas, sporting events and markets to close for two weeks as part of a lockdown after a surge in infections, Reuters reported, citing state media accounts. Some shops, banks and schools will be allowed to open, but only for two days a week.
  • The virus has been surging across Zambia, with the government announcing a record number of cases. Last week, the authorities also said that 15 lawmakers and 11 members of staff had tested positive.
I'll add a few comments to this. First, I'm surprised at what they're going to do in Vietnam - not sure moving people is the best solution, as they've been very good with mask wearing. Second, Japan's recent outbreak peaked at close to 1000 cases/day, but now appears to be coming back down (around 600 cases/day) - but still well above the <100 cases/day they had from mid-May to the end of June - cases are mostly in younger people with many from their "hostess clubs."

Finally, Africa is an interesting case: if you look at Worldometers, every country has under 50 deaths/1MM, except South Africa with about 115 deaths/1MM, and even 115 is well below many countries in Europe and North/South America. But the BBC report below says that SA's excess deaths are much higher, so it could be a reporting issue and they've also noted that cases are starting to rise quickly in many African countries - and reporting probably isn't the most accurate, especially in many of the poorer countries.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-53181555

More on Africa in the article linked below, which is superb - Africa is a real conundrum with this virus. Africa was expected to see possibly millions dying, with poor health care, crowded cities, and substandard water and sewage systems, but we've seen the exact opposite. Apart from South Africa, which has almost 150 deaths/1MM, every other country has <50 deaths/1MM and most have <20 deaths/1MM, vs. the US with about 500 deaths/1MM and much of South America and Europe having countries with 300-700 death/1MM.

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/369/6504/624

Africa, as a continent is comparable to the very low death rates seen in most of Asia, but in Asia, most of those countries have been given credit for better, more proactive interventions, like masking/distancing from early on, and strong testing/tracing/isolating systems (or at least some combination of those). While most of Africa has not been noted for doing as well with these interventions, one thing most African countries did do early was stop international travel (and they had far less to begin with than most first world countries), which probably bought them a lot more time and reports since then have been that masking has caught on since late April, plus many countries are used to testing/tracing/isolating from experience with Lhasa/Ebola (2nd link talks about masks, which, oddly weren't discussed in the Science article).

There has also been much speculation about whether the death numbers are correct or if perhaps there's something genetic or environmentally different in Africa (far more exposure to pathogens leading to better immunity?). The Science article delves more deeply into those topics. Anyway, an interesting read and the graphic below is telling with regard to Asia/Africa vs. Europe and the Americas...

https://theconversation.com/african...masks-mandatory-key-questions-answered-137516

QX1vwKo.png

Swedish doctor from the frontline lays truthbombs on what he thinks about coronavirus, Sweden is now a success story with just a few deaths if that a day and very very few new cases

https://sebastianrushworth.com/2020/08/04/how-bad-is-covid-really-a-swedish-doctors-perspective/

Sweden is basically done with it. Eventually, people will look at what Sweden did and realize the size of the response in most of the world has been totally disproportionate to the size of the threat.

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/t...entions-and-more.191275/page-105#post-4549574

Posted the above in May, thinking we weren't that far away from having far more sensitive antigen testing that could possibly be done at home, which could, in theory, allow people to at least know on a daily basis if they are infected and this information could be captured on a smart phone and be one's "passport" for that day to attend all sorts of events or go to work and bars/restaurants. An instant test that was sensitive and reliable could also be used at the point of entry, although that would still slow entry down, but I'd arrive an hour early if I knew it could get me into a football game.

Well, fast forward 3 months and progress has been agonizingly slow and according to this article in Science, it's at least partly because the government hasn't funded this effort anywhere near the extent we've funded R&D on treatments and vaccines (as per the excerpt below). Very disappointing.

The other element highlighted in the article is the still ongoing lack of testing infrastructure in most states and lack of federal support, leading to test results often taking a week or more to come back to patients, which makes our testing much less useful as a tool for preventing spread, as most people aren't quarantining for that long waiting for results. We need to do better on both angles of testing.

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/369/6504/608.full

“America faces an impending disaster,” says Rajiv Shah, president of the Rockefeller Foundation. Testing, he says, needs to focus on “massively increasing availability of fast, inexpensive screening tests to identify asymptomatic Americans who carry the virus. Today, we are conducting too few of these types of tests.”

Rebecca Smith, an epidemiologist at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign (UIUC), agrees. To stop outbreaks from overwhelming communities, she says, “we need fast, frequent testing,” which could mean faster versions of existing RNA tests or new kinds of tests aimed at detecting viral proteins. But researchers say the federal government will need to provide major financial backing for the push.

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/t...entions-and-more.191275/page-182#post-4611462

Haven't updated the IHME models in awhile, so thought the end of the month was a good time to do so. The model is now showing a cumulative 231K deaths through 11/1/20 (from 158K now) and 207K deaths through 10/1/20, which represents a modest increase from the mid-June model run (as per the linked post above), which showed a projected 201K deaths through 10/1/2020; this was a big jump up from 169K a week earlier with most of that increase due to increased projections from FL, CA, GA, AZ, AL, and TX.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america

I can't tell from their release notes if they're factoring in lower death rates due to the factors I've been discussing for awhile, i.e., younger people infected, less serious cases detected now witih more testing, and improved treatments/procedures - I think they are, since they're using recent death rate history to inform the model.

Note that they also show projections for 198K cumulative deaths through 11/1 if there were universal masking, which is a substantial reduction, as one would expect, and they also show projections of 252K cumulative deaths through 11/1 if current mandates in place were substantially eased, which is a substantial increase, again as one would expect. One would think saving 33K lives over the next 3 months would be enough to convince people to all wear masks. It's also interesting to note that another COVID model has a nearly identical projection of 230K US deaths through 11/1/20 (link below).

https://covid19-projections.com/

Lastly, the projected deaths for NJ/NY are fairly low (per capita vs. the rest of the US) from here through the end of October, with NY inceasing from 32.8K now to 34.5K by 11/1 and with NJ increasing from 15.9K to 17.0K from now through 11/1. See the graphs below.

cLS5R1p.png

MmRIYgg.png

8GCJH3J.png

The latest updated model from the U of Washington's IHME group and it's not good. Nearly 300K US deaths by 12/1/20 at our current rates with current interventions; 68K of the additional 135K deaths from where we are now with 160K deaths, could be saved by 95% mask wearing, according to the model (the reason that's not higher is that a huge number of infections are already underway without the infected knowing it). I don't know if they're taking into account the lower death rates per infection (half or less, due to age, severity, and better procedures/treatments) we're seeing vs the first wave.

NY is projected to reach 34K deaths and NJ is projected to reach 16.5K deaths by 12/1, which are actually slightly below the projections from a week ago through 11/1, reflecting the strong interventions that have been adopted in this area. The graphics don't add any additional info so aren't included here.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america

76PsJNM.png

Sweden is basically done with it. Eventually, people will look at what Sweden did and realize the size of the response in most of the world has been totally disproportionate to the size of the threat.

Are you guys going to bring this up once a week? Sweden has the 6th highest per capita death rate in the world (ignoring the tiny countries of Andorra and San Marino) and has 10X or more deaths per capita than its similarly situated (wrt/density and culture) Nordic neighbors Norway and Finland. Quite a success story. Yes, infections/deaths are way down, but they're way down in most of Europe now.

Sweden has very little cases currently and almost no deaths. That is your bottom line. Like msm you ifnore actually the majority dying from this. Did you even read the article. Tgey aren't wearing masks and shutting things down currently. Den mb ark not wearing masks. Tgey are done with this yet you keep bringing masks up. Your inconsistency is hlaring as you cant explain why Covid already swept through and is finished in Sweden

But again you know more than frontline doctors

Sweden has very little cases currently and almost no deaths. That is your bottom line. Like msm you ifnore actually the majority dying from this. Did you even read the article. Tgey aren't wearing masks and shutting things down currently. Den mb ark not wearing masks. Tgey are done with this yet you keep bringing masks up. Your inconsistency is hlaring as you cant explain why Covid already swept through and is finished in Sweden

Is that all front line doctors. Because what I am hearing from doctors and nurses is to wear a mask and keep some distance

My goodness, are you still drinking? Yay for Sweden, but that approach would have decimated the tri-state area. Have you considered relocating to Sweden? I hear the gyms are open there.

+1
Good post. They dealt with it the right way. They didn't panic and close down society, but rather learned to deal with it for the long run.

My goodness, are you still drinking? Yay for Sweden, but that approach would have decimated the tri-state area. Have you considered relocating to Sweden? I hear the gyms are open there.

And yet we are walking around with masks..no indoor dining with fall approaching..while Sweden is finished

And hello...guess who dies from this. The numbers around the world don't lie

Reactions: T2Kplus10
I never understood
And yet we are walking around with masks..no indoor dining with fall approaching..while Sweden is finished

And hello...guess who dies from this. The numbers around the world don't lie

Yeah shows you that a country can do when people take the disease seriously and social distance properly. But I dunno why the same people keep bringing up Sweden when there are so many other countries that did a better job.

I never understood

Yeah shows you that a country can do when people take the disease seriously and social distance properly. But I dunno why the same people keep bringing up Sweden when there are so many other countries that did a better job.

Because deaths are like zero now

Leronlimab update: The mild to moderate trial efficacy data will be out next week and presented to the FDA for approval as an unmet medical need for mild to moderate patients. The initial safety data was already released 10 days ago showing 64% less severe adverse events than placebo , which are incredible safety results.

The DSMB safety review met Tuesday August 4, and looked at the severe/ critical trial (149) patients, 2/1 Leronlimab to placebo, and concluded the the drug was safe and the trial did not have to be modified and the trial should continue. Really good that they did not have to modify , like most trials are required to do , which means trial is proceeding on course, but not enough for an interim analysis . Originally, the trial was to enroll 390 patients , and the DSMB will not look at efficacy for interim analysis until 50% (195 ) are enrolled. 165 were enrolled Tuesday and up to 173 yesterday at 12 sites around the country . Once 195 are enrolled , the interim analysis can be done , so hopeful enrollment can be completed before the end of the month .

More scientific proof that Leronlimab will be the best drug to treat not only the severe / critical patients but also the mild to moderate. Leronlimab since it is a CCR5 antagonist blocks the cytokines storm, reduces the viral load( acts like an antiviral ) and also is an immunomodulater, to bring the immune system into homeostasis to allow it to normally fight the virus. No drug does all 3 things. It clearly will be shown by blood assays to be 10 x better than Remdesiver, the present standard of care that presently doesn’t do a lot , other than slightly shortening hospital stays from 15 days to 11 days. Dr. Patterson paper mentioned previously identifying CoVid as a Rantes disease( presently finalizing peer review with the NEJM) , has another study out of China in June , concluding the same thing . https://doi.org/10.1172/jci.insight.139834

Cytodyn is this little company fighting against Big Pharma and the politics. Leronlimab is finally appearing on more media posts but not getting the attention it deserves. That day is coming . As a monoclonal antibody it will blow away Remdesiver, and is not an immunosuppressive like dexamethasone is , any none of the side effects of both those drugs as both the mild /moderate and severe / critical trials have outstanding safety profiles. Other monoclonal antibodies have a chance as well, as there is an drug from India, whose name escapes me now, but there small 30 patients study that reduced mortality. I still think Leronlimab will be the first to report on the double blinded placebo controlled trials, the gold standard for trials.

So are you suggesting that we should just go back to normal? Indoor dining, gyms, stores, schools with no masks or social distancing?

I am saying ask questions. I am stop believing everything Msm tells you. I am saying lots of different options exist and lots of different views on this exist

Reactions: Jm0513
I am saying ask questions. I am stop believing everything Msm tells you. I am saying lots of different options exist and lots of different views on this exist
What you are saying makes no sense. Who is not asking questions? Who believes everything that is told to them? I am more of a republican than democrat. I voted for Trump. I am a republican around fiscal issues and Democrat around social issues. I question everything. The plan right now that we are doing in NJ is very sensible from what I see. I don’t agree with the number of people limits at indoor and outdoor gatherings. That to me is dumb as people have different sized yards and houses. I am not saying every call has been perfect at all but indoor restaurant eating should be banned for now. Masks should be worn at all indoor stores and outdoors where you can’t socially distant masks should be worn. That’s it. What do you disagree with there? Even if masks aren’t perfect they have been proven to reduce the risk.

Are you guys going to bring this up once a week? Sweden has the 6th highest per capita death rate in the world (ignoring the tiny countries of Andorra and San Marino) and has 10X or more deaths per capita than its similarly situated (wrt/density and culture) Nordic neighbors Norway and Finland. Quite a success story. Yes, infections/deaths are way down, but they're way down in most of Europe now.

Did well too..no masks

Oh those nursing home numbers yup

Do I win troll Sweden bingo talk. Literally exactly what I said to the tee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT