ADVERTISEMENT

COVID-19 Pandemic: Transmissions, Deaths, Treatments, Vaccines, Interventions and More...

Status
Not open for further replies.
If my math is right, 251 new positives to report today. That would be the first back to back sub-300 days since July 20 & 21, which were artificially low due to lab reporting delays. It is safe to say that we have the lowest rate of spread since March now. Rt lags cases by 7 days or so. If we are sub 300 when Rt starts to really drop in a week, Murphy will have nothing left to stand on to continue his restrictions that are out of line from our regional peers.
Add hospitalizations and deaths at lowest levels since tracking. What will Murph do??

yes, and that will still be happening weeks from now. In a month from now there will be deaths reported that occurred today there.
Not true - NY/NJ deaths in single digits for actual day of deaths. Stop being so negative.

Ok WTF is Gov. Murphy doing?

8/5 - Rhode Island added to Quarantine List.
8/11 - Rhode Island removed from Quarantine List.

My parents went to Rhode Island from Mon-Thurs last week.
They had to quarantine after returning since they were already in RI when added to the list.

But do they not have to quarantine for another week now?
This is beyond confusing.

Reactions: biker7766
Ok WTF is Gov. Murphy doing?

8/5 - Rhode Island added to Quarantine List.
8/11 - Rhode Island removed from Quarantine List.

My parents went to Rhode Island from Mon-Thurs last week.
They had to quarantine after returning since they were already in RI when added to the list.

But do they not have to quarantine for another week now?
This is beyond confusing.

Generally the metrics they look at include, but are not limited to, a positive test rate over 10% or 10 persons per 100k over 7 day rolling average. That is further influenced by the regional pact with various states. Rhode Island exceeded one of these thresholds.

Each of these state quarantines aligns with a metric. Now if there was national consistent data, it would be much more helpful; therefore you have to rely on inconsistent reporting by the various states.

Florida sets a new record with 276 deaths in the past day

And also in the news... Francisco Franco is still dead!!! Why do you even mention something like this when it pales in comparison to the disaster in NY which averaged about 600 deaths a day and more for a month straight. Especially when it was expected in Florida.. and just as a drop in deaths is expected soon since the Florida case numbers are on a downward trend.

And also in the news... Francisco Franco is still dead!!! Why do you even mention something like this when it pales in comparison to the disaster in NY which averaged about 600 deaths a day and more for a month straight. Especially when it was expected in Florida.. and just as a drop in deaths is expected soon since the Florida case numbers are on a downward trend.
why do facts bother you so much?

why do facts bother you so much?

Irrelevant information just clogs up the board. There are 50 states in the Union and each of them hit record high death rates that are WAY WAY below what happened in NY. Why dont you just create a post for each States' deaths each day for every state. That is about as meaningful as your Florida post

Zero actual deaths yesterday in NJ again. Why don’t you report that? Did you short the market or something?
Wrong there were 5 in NJ hospitals within the last 24 hours from covid. Why do you just make things up? It says it right on the NJ dashboard that there have been 5 corona deaths within the last 24 hours at NJ hospitals. The other day it was 20. They just haven't been processed by doh yet. https://www.nj.gov/health/cd/topics/covid2019_dashboard.shtml

Irrelevant information just clogs up the board. There are 50 states in the Union and each of them hit record high death rates that are WAY WAY below what happened in NY. Why dont you just create a post for each States' deaths each day for every state. That is about as meaningful as your Florida post
Weird how you haven't complained about the posts in here about gyms, and 5G and brain control and Sweden being mentioned 100 times. I wonder why.

Wrong there were 5 in NJ hospitals within the last 24 hours from covid. Why do you just make things up? It says it right on the NJ dashboard that there have been 5 corona deaths within the last 24 hours at NJ hospitals. The other day it was 20. They just haven't been processed by doh yet. https://www.nj.gov/health/cd/topics/covid2019_dashboard.shtml
Make things up? Read attached from NJ. Com and then reply. N.J. reports 498 new COVID-19 cases, 14 new deaths. Transmission rate falls again, remains below key benchmark.
https://www.nj.com/coronavirus/2020...-falls-again-remains-below-key-benchmark.html

Just telling what the Governor wrote- no deaths yesterday. All previous dates.

Those numbers are the deaths processed from DOH. Usually deaths take longer than 24 hours to process. Read the dashboard. IT says 5 deaths in hospitals in the last 24 hours from Corona I already linked it.
Then if you know yesterday’s death rates why doesn’t the Governor?

He only reports DOH processed deaths. The hospital ones still have to be processed. Read NJ.com four of the deaths were on August 7, and three August 4. It takes time for DOH to process them, but hospitals report them everyday as can be seen on the dashboard. @King of S

Surprised no discussion of Russia’s vaccine. You obviously have to be extremely skeptical.

However, as Numbers mentioned, you also have to consider the ethical lines Russia was probably willing to cross (challenging humans with the virus to see if it works).

Not sure what percent chance I’d give that it works, but it’s certainly not 0.

Surprised no discussion of Russia’s vaccine. You obviously have to be extremely skeptical.

However, as Numbers mentioned, you also have to consider the ethical lines Russia was probably willing to cross (challenging humans with the virus to see if it works).

Personally it could work, but I would never trust it or any data they "produce". So kind of meaningless to me.

New York’s nursing home death toll could be a significant undercount

NEW YORK — New York’s coronavirus death toll in nursing homes, already among the highest in the nation, could actually be a significant undercount.

Unlike every other state with major outbreaks, New York only counts residents who died on nursing home property and not those who died in hospitals.

That statistic could add thousands to the state’s official care home death toll of just over 6,600. But the administration of Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo has so far refused to divulge the figure, leading to speculation New York is manipulating the figures to make it appear it is doing better than other states.

https://www.pix11.com/news/coronavi...-death-toll-could-be-a-significant-undercount

NEW YORK — New York’s coronavirus death toll in nursing homes, already among the highest in the nation, could actually be a significant undercount.

Unlike every other state with major outbreaks, New York only counts residents who died on nursing home property and not those who died in hospitals.

That statistic could add thousands to the state’s official care home death toll of just over 6,600. But the administration of Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo has so far refused to divulge the figure, leading to speculation New York is manipulating the figures to make it appear it is doing better than other states.

https://www.pix11.com/news/coronavi...-death-toll-could-be-a-significant-undercount
NY should be forced by the courts to release this information. I believe NJ also not classifying nursing home patients who died in hospitals.

They essentially are doing their Phase 3 trial without calling it phase 3. What they are doing is not much different than what somebody like Moderna is doing, in vaccinating thousands of people in the next month, but they are calling their vaccine “approved” just so they can say they have the first approved vaccine.....which is silly and confusing. The only difference is they say they are going to start wide-spread vaccinations in October, which if they do, will be earlier than anyone else. We’ll see if they actually do that though.

They essentially are doing their Phase 3 trial without calling it phase 3. What they are doing is not much different than what somebody like Moderna is doing, in vaccinating thousands of people in the next month, but they are calling their vaccine “approved” just so they can say they have the first approved vaccine.....which is silly and confusing. The only difference is they say they are going to start wide-spread vaccinations in October, which if they do, will be earlier than anyone else. We’ll see if they actually do that though.
Thanks for clarifying!

I don't know why we would trust any so-called official chicomvirus numbers from NY.

Have we hear from RUBOB72 who I believe said a week or so ago that he wasn't feeling well and was getting tested?

Transmission%20risk%20graphic%20.jpg

This is a no brainer - why is this still being debated? People who are anti masks are 1) selfish, 2) being ignorant or 3) both selfish and ignorant. Wear your masks people!!!

Last edited:
Right about now, you will see the alt -Left MSM start barraging us with stories of reports of CV rates increasing for children.

They will hammer this home, anything to prevent in-school instruction.

They want the economy to tank and will not use science but instead FEAR MONGERING and GASLIGHTING tactics

Nobody wants the economy to tank - we want the economy to reopen slowly and safely, like NY/NJ and Europe are doing, not the way so many states in wave 2 are doing. By foolishly reopening too fast and not mandating masks, those states have extended the uncertainty of what is safe vs. not and increased the likelihood of additional lockdowns, instead of following sound science and practice. At least that's what those crazy leftists at McKinsey (post below) and many other corporate sources have said.

And, by the way, the number of deaths in children from COVID is now about equal to flu and climbing, so it's likely to be a bit greater soon and the number of cases in children has increased by 90% the past 4 weeks. The cases in children were hugely suppressed by the closure of schools and lockdowns. These aren't "stories" they're facts.

Doesn't mean schools can't reopen, but it does mean that states with high transmission rates would be nuts to reopen and states with low transmission rates ought to be able to reopen with appropriate masking and increased distancing (greater spacing combined with a combo of in-school and remote instruction).

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/11/health/covid-19-children-cases-rising-wellness/index.html

https://services.aap.org/en/pages/2...hildren-and-covid-19-state-level-data-report/

An update from McKinsey on choosing the right path to unlock economies of countries, given where they are now with some really good insight on what these means for individuals and companies. As in McKinsey's earlier deep analysis of the situation 6 weeks ago (my post on that is linked below), they repeat the mantra that the surest way back to anything resembling normal is to greatly reduce the uncertainty around the risks of this virus.

https://www.mckinsey.com/business-f...71&hdpid=f569a613-3d57-40cd-ab0f-3e1e3dc16b5c

This means controlling the virus to as low a level as possible, so people have confidence in returning to some version of a mostly normal life, even if it means universal masking and testing/tracing/isolating to control flareups. Some countries have already done this, either via mostly controls (masks/testing/tracing etc.), like South Korea and Taiwan or via lockdowns and smart reopening, like New Zealand, China, and Switzerland. Others are struggling mightily, like the US and the UK and now many other countries being hit hard in South/Central America and elsewhere.

Lots of other really good insights into things that have been learned both scientifically and socially, such as the incredible worldwide scientific collaborations on understanding the virus and developing treatments and vaccines or how people can approach education and the workplace in different ways that might be better at least in some ways. Worth a read.

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/t...entions-and-more.191275/page-115#post-4562473

IkRdps0.png

Nobody wants the economy to tank - we want the economy to reopen slowly and safely, like NY/NJ and Europe are doing, not the way so many states in wave 2 are doing. By foolishly reopening too fast and not mandating masks, those states have extended the uncertainty of what is safe vs. not and increased the likelihood of additional lockdowns, instead of following sound science and practice. At least that's what those crazy leftists at McKinsey (post below) and many other corporate sources have said.

And, by the way, the number of deaths in children from COVID is now about equal to flu and climbing, so it's likely to be a bit greater soon and the number of cases in children has increased by 90% the past 4 weeks. The cases in children were hugely suppressed by the closure of schools and lockdowns. These aren't "stories" they're facts.

Doesn't mean schools can't reopen, but it does mean that states with high transmission rates would be nuts to reopen and states with low transmission rates ought to be able to reopen with appropriate masking and increased distancing (greater spacing combined with a combo of in-school and remote instruction).

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/11/health/covid-19-children-cases-rising-wellness/index.html

https://services.aap.org/en/pages/2...hildren-and-covid-19-state-level-data-report/

More convenient manipulation of the data by the media. Like I've always heard...“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.”

Yes, of course the cases of children with COVID have gone up over that time period. Just like they have for every other segment of the population, and at approximately the same rate The articles conveniently leave out that piece of information.

And a major increase in the number of cases for children are coming from the fact that "well" children who have avoided elective hospitalizations for other conditions are finally starting to return.... and guess what... many of them are non-symptomatic and during routine testing of every patient, they are surprised to discover that they are COVID positive. I have a sister who works one of the major major children's hospitals in NJ, and this is the most common reason for COVID positive patients they treat. It is rare that there is a child admitted for sickness or illness due to COVID.

Last edited:
Yeah it's no big deal for you or me.
But for the people who work in the store and have to wear a mask all day long it's a much bigger deal.
Try to put yourself in someone else's shoes.

Not saying masks should not be used.
I wear a mask 9 hours a day. As do my coworkers. It kind of sucks, but it's really not that big of a deal.

I wear a mask 9 hours a day. As do my coworkers. It kind of sucks, but it's really not that big of a deal.
If I were still full-time at Merck, I'd be working from home mostly, but wearing a mask when on site and most of those who used to be in my group of 20-25 (about 75% of them, i.e., those who need to be on site to work in the lab or pilot plant) are in masks 9-12 hours a day. From what they've said, it was annoying at first, but they've all gotten used to it.

Reactions: Greg2020

Well the Russians are trying their best to win the PR race, but they've failed, miserably, from a scientific and public health safety perspective. They're "approving" a vaccine that hasn't even started phase III, large scale clinical trials yet - you know, the ones required to determine safety and efficacy. It's possible their approach, a mixture of two human adenovirus vectors (the CanSino approach, although they use just one adenovirus; also the Oxford/Astra-Zeneca approach uses a single chimp adenovirus vector) can work, but the issue is having done so little work so far and saying it's "approved," although they don't intend a general rollout until October, when it's possible they'll have a read from phase III trials. No way in hell I'd be taking that vaccine with so little data. As is often the case, Derek Lowe chimed in with a timely blog entry on the Russian vaccine today.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...tent&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2020/08/11/the-russian-vaccine

Many will have heard Russia’s announcement that they have approved a coronavirus vaccine. I’ve already had several people ask me what I think of it, so let me be clear: I think it’s a ridiculous publicity stunt. If it’s supposed to make Russia look like some sort of biotechnology powerhouse, then as far as I’m concerned it does the opposite. It makes them look desperate, like the nation-state equivalent of a bunch of penny-stock promoters. The new airliner design prototype just got off the ground – time to sell tickets and load it full of passengers, right?

Why so negative? Look at what’s being claimed – the first coronavirus vaccine to receive regulatory approval. But “regulatory approval” is not some international gold standard, and these sorts of decisions show you why. Let’s be honest: there is no way that you can responsibly “approve” a vaccine after it’s only been into human trials for what numerous reports say is less than two months. That’s about enough time to do the first steps, a Phase I trial that gives you some idea of immune response across more than one dose. It is simply not enough time to do a reasonable efficacy workup as well, and absolutely not enough time to get any sort of reading on safety. Here’s a good article going into those timelines in more depth.

Reactions: Greg2020
I don't know why we would trust any so-called official chicomvirus numbers from NY.

If we had the federal government mandate and release consistent reporting from states would be helpful but since we don’t each state can report as they see fit. Some states won’t even release LTC deaths to the public (I.e Arizona).

I question after months of learning and treatments why we are seeing the same to larger percentages of deaths at LTC facilities in most other states. With testing and masks, controls we did not have in March, why are they not protecting the most vulnerable?

Those 14 deaths aren’t NEW.

They’re old deaths that happened during the peak just getting confirmed now that the people who died were positive.

NO ONE in the hospital because of covid has died recently in NJ
Thats just wrong 5 people died in the hospital yesterday from covid in NJ. And at least 4 died in the hospital from it on August 8, and 3 on August 4. Why do you just make things up? https://www.nj.gov/health/cd/topics/covid2019_dashboard.shtml

Reactions: thegock and RU-05
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT