ADVERTISEMENT

COVID-19 Pandemic: Transmissions, Deaths, Treatments, Vaccines, Interventions and More...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Masks will be worn for years. It will take months to vaccine people who want it. And the ones that get it will still wear masks in case it doesn't work. In other words...this world is fuced.

If East Asia is an indicator, some people will be wearing masks forever. Masks were fairly common in China, Japan, Korea, etc., before this pandemic. They had already been through the bird flu. I suspect we will see the same in the USA. Masks are becoming the new normal.

The virus is just very contagious and very deadly to those in the LTC age cohort. Unless you go complete bubble mode with the LTC's, and that would include the workers(thus those people would have to isolate from the rest of the world until the pandemic is over) the LTC's are going to be vulnerable.
Define over

Reactions: bac2therac
I don'
If East Asia is an indicator, some people will be wearing masks forever. Masks were fairly common in China, Japan, Korea, etc., before this pandemic. They had already been through the bird flu. I suspect we will see the same in the USA. Masks are becoming the new normal.
I think it is likely that they will be a part of our culture moving fwd. Not necessarily widespread, but people wearing masks will not be an oddity.

Interesting but I'm not totally buying into that. He does mention people sharing the same bed, but for the most part, if an individual starts to present with symptoms, there is enough education now to self isolate and help prevent the spread to the next individual(s). This can be the reason for the lower transmission rates they are referring to. I have come across plenty of husband and wife teams who have both tested positive.

This is something that has been hypothesized earlier on in the pandemic. For those isolating and limiting general exposure, they might be more at risk in the future for stronger reactions when exposed to the common cold and various flu strains. I would think for many, they would rather risk higher cold/flu complications versus contracting CV-19.
Not sure about that. The flu can be very deadly. Complications can result in pneumonia. Plus who is to say a nastier corona won’t emerge next time. If the immune system is not allowed to develop what’s the long term impact? Does it mean we’ll need to lock down more in the future? We know that isolated people like indigenous Indians were almost wiped out with diseases dissimilar to those their bodies had seen. I’m not saying I disagree with social distancing and lockdowns but I do wonder whether I’m retrospect it will prove to be the right thing particularly if we have to do it again for a new virus a year from now.

Reactions: biker7766 and LC-88
Not sure about that. The flu can be very deadly. Complications can result in pneumonia. Plus who is to say a nastier corona won’t emerge next time. If the immune system is not allowed to develop what’s the long term impact? Does it mean we’ll need to lock down more in the future? We know that isolated people like indigenous Indians were almost wiped out with diseases dissimilar to those their bodies had seen. I’m not saying I disagree with social distancing and lockdowns but I do wonder whether I’m retrospect it will prove to be the right thing particularly if we have to do it again for a new virus a year from now.
Thus the importance of a vaccine. And people taking that vaccine.

Not important. However long it takes, LTC workers would not be able to interact with the rest of society.

Not to mention other logistical considerations like supplies.
Yes it’s very important and one of the problems. Flatten the curve? Crush the curve? Now what? LTC workers pass the flu to their patients every year as well. We going to start shutting down the country every flu season? However long it takes. Lol. You must work for the state.

The article is tragic. I've mentioned in this forum that I am involved in the real estate sector. I have regular calls with big US banks and large RE firms (CBRE, JLL, Cushman). The outlook for this sector may be pretty bad. I saw a report that almost 50% of retail tenants haven't been paying rent since April. And my banking guys have said they have spent the last four months beefing up their cash positions in anticipation of a wave of RE defaults once stimulus runs out.

RE is a real sector of the US economy. This isn't bars and restaurants and gyms we are talking about. Anything close to a repeat of '09 would have further catastrophic impact to the US economy.

Last edited:
Just open shit up

Wear the oppressive masks for now, have the elderly and sickly shelter up and let them choose

This lockdown is now a completly coordinated SCAM that is pulverizing the foundation of the country

I live in Maryland. What isn't open in NJ? Movie theaters and amusement parks like here? Anything else?

Reactions: Greg2020
I live in Maryland. What isn't open in NJ? Movie theaters and amusement parks like here? Anything else?

you cant really go inside anywhere and there are limitations. restaurants, art and culture spots, etc

Yes it’s very important and one of the problems. Flatten the curve? Crush the curve? Now what? LTC workers pass the flu to their patients every year as well. We going to start shutting down the country every flu season? However long it takes. Lol. You must work for the state.
I'm not advocating it. I'm explaining the logistical impossibility of it.

People are way too quick to interject their agenda's.

Just open shit up

Wear the oppressive masks for now, have the elderly and sickly shelter up and let them choose

This lockdown is now a completly coordinated SCAM that is pulverizing the foundation of the country
I don't think it's a scam.

But it could certainly be argued it is having a larger negative impact then the virus itself would incur.

Just open shit up

Feels like about time to remind you that you were more scared of this thing than any other grown man in the country.

If you're so tough now, go get it and help us reach that 10 to 20 percent herd immunity your twitiot foot doctor was touting. You're a patriot, right :Laughing

Just open shit up

Shit is already opened up. Problem is, nobody wants to go shopping in a physical store anymore. I mean, that’s where it was heading anyway, CV just accelerated things.

I' was scared of The Left ruining things, so I stocked up on food, water, amo, I was right.

Look at Seattle and Portland

You're just scared

Lmao, no you weren't. You were scared of the virus. You made many posts confirming that.

You were right? ..also, no. There was never any reason to stock up on water. And if you've used any ammo, it was to do some hillbilly recyclin' of the hundreds of beer and cheap liquor bottles littering your domicile.

You lack brain cells by even asking that

Well it seems most things are open or allowed to be open in NJ. That is why I asked.

Now, if you are asking why corporations aren't opening their office doors (even though allowed) or people aren't shopping (even though allowed) or staying in hotels (even though allowed) or flying on airplanes (even though allowed) or why manufacturing plants have seen a dramatic reduction in orders (even though open) or why Americans are saving money at a far greater level than any time in the last 25 years that requires a different question/statement from you.

Last edited:
Well it seems most things are open or allowed to be open in NJ. That is why I asked.

Now, if you are asking why corporations aren't opening their doors (even though allowed) or people aren't shopping (even though allowed) or staying in hotels (even though allowed) or flying on airplanes (even though allowed) or why manufacturing plants have seen a dramatic reduction in orders (even though open) or why Americans are saving money at a far greater level than any time in the last 25 years that requires a different question/statement from you.

gyms are not open and Murphy has destroyed this industry and the lives of those in it

Interesting but I'm not totally buying into that. He does mention people sharing the same bed, but for the most part, if an individual starts to present with symptoms, there is enough education now to self isolate and help prevent the spread to the next individual(s). This can be the reason for the lower transmission rates they are referring to. I have come across plenty of husband and wife teams who have both tested positive.
https://www.health.harvard.edu/dise...ow that a person,start to experience symptoms.

We know that a person with COVID-19 may be contagious 48 to 72 hours before starting to experience symptoms. Emerging research suggests that people may actually be most likely to spread the virus to others during the 48 hours before they start to experience symptoms.​

https://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/if-youve-been-exposed-to-the-coronavirus#:~:text=We know that a person,start to experience symptoms.

We know that a person with COVID-19 may be contagious 48 to 72 hours before starting to experience symptoms. Emerging research suggests that people may actually be most likely to spread the virus to others during the 48 hours before they start to experience symptoms.​
Damn this is a helluva stealthy vicious virus. Yet we're told by the Board experts that having test kits in Feb would have stopped the devastation in NYC when in March the clueless WHO was telling the world that "COVID-19 does not transmit as efficiently as influenza, from the data we have so far." The WHO was also saying that asymptomatic people with COVID-19 were not driving the transmission of the virus: "With influenza, people who are infected but not yet sick are major drivers of transmission, which does not appear to be the case for COVID-19."

Last edited:
Damn this is a helluva stealthy vicious virus. Yet we're told by the Board experts that having test kits in Feb would have stopped the devastation in NYC when in March the clueless WHO was telling the world that "COVID-19 does not transmit as efficiently as influenza, from the data we have so far." The WHO was also saying that asymptomatic people with COVID-19 were not driving the transmission of the virus: "With influenza, people who are infected but not yet sick are major drivers of transmission, which does not appear to be the case for COVID-19."

Yes it is stealthy and the WHO has not distinguished itself during this pandemic, which I've said multiple times. However Fauci on 2/3 said, "This evening I telephoned one of my colleagues in China who is a highly respected infectious diseases scientist and health official," he says. "He said that he is convinced that there is asymptomatic infection and that some asymptomatic people are transmitting infection." So it's not like there weren't experts who thought this had the potential to be very bad.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/02/paper-non-symptomatic-patient-transmitting-coronavirus-wrong

And whether WHO, which was relying on Chinese data at the time, got it right or not is largely immaterial to the arguments on testing. Symptoms being delayed for a day or two doesn't change the fact that they'll get symptoms and be able to be tested reasonably accurately when they do and it's been very well established that we had tens of thousands of cases in the NYC metro area by the end of February and if we had had the ability to do 10,000 tests per day in this area, like South Korea was able to by about 2/20, then we would've easily seen large numbers of cases and could've decided to shut down about 2 weeks earlier, saving 75-90% of lives lost.

But nobody was going to shut down anything without any data and we didn't run our first tests in NY/NJ until early March and weren't even up to 1000 tests per day until mid-March (SK was there in mid-Feb). And I shouldn't need to remind you but I will, since you keep bringing up the same old weak arguments, but SK has about the same size and population density as the DC to Boston corridor, which is the area that was hit so hard in wave 1 (due to a huge influx of infected people from Europe, combined with high density and high local "mixing" rates due to commuting).

As per my post below, as of 7/17, the megalopolis had roughly 18K cases and 1300 deaths per 1MM people, while South Korea had 267 cases and 8 deaths per 1MM, i.e., the megalopolis has 67X the cases and 162X the number of deaths as SK (the US numbers are 11.6K cases and 428 deaths per 1MM for ratios of 43X the cases and 54X the deaths as SK). And yet we were supposed to be the country best-prepared for a pandemic. And, by far, our biggest failure in this was not having testing even close to ready, which is the Federal Government's responsibility. Period. End of story.

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/t...entions-and-more.191275/page-141#post-4587498

Covered this too and was critical of Cuomo/Murphy for delaying the formal shutdown, but the shutdown was largely in effect on 3/16, when NY/NJ/NY shut down schools, bars, restaurants and entertainment venues, so the difference between them and SF was minor. By far, the biggest factor in shutdowns being weeks later than they could have been was the lack of testing, as you know.

Hard to argue for shutdowns with no data, as no tests were run before 3/3 (and 1 death in the 2 states) and <1000 tests per day until mid-March, when we needed to be running at least 20-30K tests per day - we probably had 50-100K positive cases by mid-March and had no clue, because the Administration failed miserably to do what most of the successful countries did - test early and aggressively (and trac/isolate and wear masks) - if we had known the extent of the outbreak by early March and shut down then (or even just had universal masking), we'd have saved 75-90% of the lives lost in the NE US, as per several studies.

And since I'm sure you'll fall back on your useless go-to argument of size, the DC to Boston megalopolis has 52MM people in 56,200 sq mi for a density of 931/sq mi. South Korea is very similar with 51MM people in 38,700 sq mi for a density of 1317/sq mi. The megalopolis has roughly 18K cases and 1300 deaths per 1MM people, while South Korea has 267 cases and 8 deaths per 1MM, i.e., the megalopolis has 67X the cases and 162X the number of deaths as SK (the US numbers are 11.6K cases and 428 deaths per 1MM for ratios of 43X the cases and 54X the deaths as SK). Are you telling me we couldn't have done for the NE US what SK did for themselves?

South Korea managed to keep an area almost as large and a bit more densely populated than the NE megalopolis largely free from the virus without ever enforcing rigid lockdowns and the US, with more rigid lockdowns has come nowhere close to SK. I'm not going to retype everything SK did vs. the US, but if you want to read it, it's in an earlier post.

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/t...entions-and-more.191275/page-141#post-4587498

Shit is already opened up. Problem is, nobody wants to go shopping in a physical store anymore. I mean, that’s where it was heading anyway, CV just accelerated things.

Soooooo NOT TRUE!!! I work in essential retail... If i had a nickel for how many times i heard the line.."OMG... I'm just so happy to be able to shop in a store that isn't a supermarket!!" I.... Wouldn't be a millionaire.... But I would have A LOT of nickels!!!! It has definitely slowed down somewhat since May and June... But still busier than usual this time of year for us...

By the way economic dislocation is not one dimensional. Gyms closed but people went out and purchased their own equipment, hired personal trainers, some even saved the money for other uses.

It is not a zero sum game.

It is a shame but events have impacted businesses forever and for every business that is negatively impacted there is usually a chance for someone else to benefit.

Soooooo NOT TRUE!!! I work in essential retail... If i had a nickel for how many times i heard the line.."OMG... I'm just so happy to be able to shop in a store that isn't a supermarket!!" I.... Wouldn't be a millionaire.... But I would have A LOT of nickels!!!! It has definitely slowed down somewhat since May and June... But still busier than usual this time of year for us...

I’m sure you hear that all the time, but the numbers don’t lie. Retail is down and people don’t miss it that much.

By the way economic dislocation is not one dimensional. Gyms closed but people went out and purchased their own equipment, hired personal trainers, some even saved the money for other uses.

It is not a zero sum game.

It is a shame but events have impacted businesses forever and for every business that is negatively impacted there is usually a chance for someone else to benefit.

Basically everything I've wanted to buy this summer is in hot demand, with a bunch sold out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT