ADVERTISEMENT

COVID-19 Pandemic: Transmissions, Deaths, Treatments, Vaccines, Interventions and More...

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the first time I've ever posted a comparison of US vs Sweden so I have no clue what your are talking about. Bad work on your part. Keep
Should I find my post from a month ago how this Sweden topic gets cycled and shut down by numbers? It's the same stuff over and over.

edit- here ya go

"Ok just so we can move past this cyclical bull shit. Going to sum this up so it can be copied and pasted later when this convo resurfaces in a week.

One of Proud NJ, T2K and their assorted troll companions
"Sweden is doing great, we should be like them (insert graphs of death trending downward) and they did it without a lockdown"

Numbers response
"They are not doing well, here is data to show that compared to comparable countries they are doing far, far worse"

Trolls
option a- Something about LTC facilities
option b- It's unfair to compare Sweden to x country because of their population is unlike any others.

rinse and repeat."

Still holds true I'd say

It feels like that time of day WhiteBus has realized he has no answers, doesn't know the first thing he's talking about, has nothing to back up anything he says, and is only getting likes from fellow trollish morons like bag and proud. So he's disappeared and will surface again in a few days, maybe a week+, as if none of this happened. Pretty much his entire history in this thread, repeating over and over again.

Should I find my post from a month ago how this Sweden topic gets cycled and shut down by numbers? It's the same stuff over and over.

edit- here ya go

"Ok just so we can move past this cyclical bull shit. Going to sum this up so it can be copied and pasted later when this convo resurfaces in a week.

"Sweden is doing great, we should be like them (insert graphs of death trending downward) and they did it without a lockdown"

Numbers response
"They are not doing well, here is data to show that compared to comparable countries they are doing far, far worse"

Trolls
option b- It's unfair to compare Sweden to x country because of their population is unlike any others.

rinse and repeat."

Still holds true I'd say
I'm still waiting for Numbers to provide a reasonable comparison to the US--especially with the recent revelation about the US testing at 37-40 cycles of amplification , driving virus levels in their samples up 100-1000 times as high as the German standard.

edit- here ya go

Numbers response

Trolls

rinse and repeat."

Still holds true I'd say
So you call me out by quoting other people! Brilliant! Should I blame you for other people's comments?? Just admit you confused different people and move on. The fact that your defending the mistake is an embarrassing move.

It feels like that time of day WhiteBus has realized he has no answers, doesn't know the first thing he's talking about, has nothing to back up anything he says, and is only getting likes from fellow trollish morons like bag and proud. So he's disappeared and will surface again in a few days, maybe a week+, as if none of this happened. Pretty much his entire history in this thread, repeating over and over again.
I have plenty of answers. That time of the day is after work and I ride my bicycle 30 to 60 miles 5 days a week. Maybe you should get off your fat ass and get away from this board for a change! Repeating? Yes because it came true. We are about to pass 200k in deaths. Who did we save?? Nobody! You are a just complete fat, lazy fear monger!
And I post everyday. Mostly about baseball and beer. I live a real life. Work too in an essential industry. So I'm sorry for not immediately responding. Get out of your mom's basement once in awhile!

As you've said many times, distancing works and the Swedes do a pretty good job of it, but they simply did it without mandates. The number of people who seem to think Sweden did "nothing" and it was party time 24/7 there is astounding. See the excerpt below from STAT.

The 1MM+ US deaths number, assuming zero interventions/controls, is a credible worst case, not a prediction. Fortunately, we did a bunch of interventions and many (not enough, but many) are practicing masking/distancing, so we'll never know how close we would have come to that number and with cures/vaccines hopefully not far away, maybe we can even keep it to under 300K, which is still frighteningly bad vs. dozens of countries who have done far better, but that ship has sailed for us, sadly.

Sweden never imposed a total shutdown of nonessential businesses. It closed universities and banned gatherings of more than 50 people, including sports events, and discouraged domestic travel. But most bars, restaurants, schools, salons, and stores were allowed to remain open, with largely voluntary social distancing. “If Spain and Italy got hit by an early Covid-19 tsunami,” said Peter Kasson of the University of Virginia School of Medicine and Sweden’s Uppsala University, “Sweden said, ‘let’s go swimming.’”

Many of its citizens, however, didn’t jump into the deep end. For one thing, “a lot of Swedes went well beyond the official recommendations for social distancing, individually taking the kinds of actions that in other countries were mandated,” said Kasson, co-author of a recent study of Sweden’s strategy. “A lot of people self-isolated at home, and companies promoted working from home even though it wasn’t mandated. That shows that individual decisions that reduce [viral transmission] can have a substantial effect on national outcomes.”

Among those individual decisions: 58% of Swedes didn’t meet friends, and 74% stayed home during their spare time, researchers reported in May.
Sweden did a lot. They social distanced better than us and how they were able to get things under control after getting pummeled. Their culture is way different than us though and why it “worked” for them.
I think one common theme we all agree upon not just us 3 but all or most on here is that US did a terrible job. Had a playbook nationally but ignored it opening the door to the state by state political mess of making there own rules.
However your spin on Sweden about social distancing is funny. Yes they did it on there own but the East Coast was forced to do it for at least 4 months and things got bad. It was the height of the tri state area worst. The predictions of a 1 to 1.7 million is a complete hoax. Seriously bad math. I agree the lockdowns were needed in the beginning were needed to keep hospitals from being overwhelmed. After that some things were and are just stupid.

No the worst would have been over by late spring. Numbers would be close. 200k deaths was the prediction without doing anything. And with all that was done we will still cross the 200k mark early next week. We stopped nothing just spread it out over 6 months and more.
Well we didn’t want to stress the hospitals out wasn’t that part of the plan.So other than metro NY / NJ most states weathered the storm.

Well we didn’t want to stress the hospitals out wasn’t that part of the plan.So other than metro NY / NJ most states weathered the storm.
It was exactly the plan of PA,NJ and NY! Go look at the days each state made mandatory stay at home mandates. They all mentioned it. Lower the curve was the word of everyone of them.

Reactions: RUBOB72
It was exactly the plan of PA,NJ and NY! Go look at the days each state made mandatory stay at home mandates. They all mentioned it. Lower the curve was the word of everyone of them.
I think it was lengthen the curve. (which also lowers it), but hammers the economy longer.

Reactions: WhiteBus
I have plenty of answers. That time of the day is after work and I ride my bicycle 30 to 60 miles 5 days a week. Maybe you should get off your fat ass and get away from this board for a change! Repeating? Yes because it came true. We are about to pass 200k in deaths. Who did we save?? Nobody! You are a just complete fat, lazy fear monger!
And I post everyday. Mostly about baseball and beer. I live a real life. Work too in an essential industry. So I'm sorry for not immediately responding. Get out of your mom's basement once in awhile!

Lmao. Still no actual information just rants! Your mo.

We're still waiting for you to back up anything you say.

Now go peel off the lycra, road weenie ...neighbors don't want to see that.

Lmao. Still no actual information just rants! Your mo.

We're still waiting for you to back up anything you say.

Now go peel off the lycra, road weenie ...neighbors don't want to see that.
Talk about no information. You just troll this thread to mock people Fatso. Never give positive info at all.
I don't wear cycling shorts after the first month and when I do no one can see them anyway as I always wear cargo shorts over them for the pockets. Have another Twinkee and STFU..
I do give info but you fear mongers miss it as you are opening another box Tasteycakes

Switzerland moving on and realizing that life involves living with risk

Yeah, Switzerland is very comparable to the US.

They were one of the first dominoes to fall internationally. Government forced the Geneva Motor Show to cancel days before it was about to start in early March. Show attracts half a million people and is one of the world's largest.

Sounds like they did things right early and are reaping the rewards. Not like the shtshow we endure here.

Talk about no information. You just troll this thread to mock people Fatso. Never give positive info at all.
I don't wear cycling shorts after the first month and when I do no one can see them anyway as I always wear cargo shorts over them for the pockets. Have another Twinkee and STFU..

No idea where you got the idea I'm fat, but your wannabe Charles Bronson stache weighs more than me, old timer.

Now, if you're not going to back up anything you say, go fetch me a beer.

No idea where you got the idea I'm fat, but your wannabe Charles Bronson stache weighs more than me, old timer.

Now, if you're not going to back up anything you say, go fetch me a beer.
Oh you're fat if you can't get off the couch and get your own beer! I already backed up my points. After you come down from your sugar load go back and read my posts. Or just have another box of Drakes.

Oh you're fat if you can't get off the couch and get your own beer! I already backed up my points. After you come down from your sugar load go back and read my posts. Or just have a box of Stakes.

You backed up nothing. Your uninformed opinion and bluster ain't evidence.

And I have a beer bitch to get me refills ...you. Get to it. And you're out of six packs for the choose-your-own fridge. Grab some of those while you're back there. Just keep your nose outta the supply this time!

You backed up nothing. Your uninformed opinion and bluster ain't evidence.

And I have a beer bitch to get me refills ...you. Get to it. And you're out of six packs for the choose-your-own fridge. Grab some of those while you're back there. Just keep your nose outta the supply this time!
Wow you are really fat and drunk. You are admittedly lazy that you can't get your fat ass off the couch to get your own beer!

What does Bern mean when he says they need to learn to live with the virus?

Says to me they are still doing things to mitigate spread. But what?

Actually the scientist said that i believe

Five months on, Swiss public health authorities much better understood the dynamics and “that [lockdowns] are not sustainable”, she said. “There’s been a big shift in focus. What we’re seeing now in Switzerland is people getting used to the idea of living in a risk society. We’re asking: ‘how do we live with this?’”

Bern is the government (capital city). Just fyi.

This looks up to date: https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/society/covid-19_coronavirus--the-situation-in-switzerland/45592192

Bac should love it since it mentions masks mandatory on public transportation and in shops.
1)I should have picked up on that. NJ Devils played there just last year.

2)Do they limit bars or restaurants? How bout large crowds, like sporting events and concerts?

Edit: Reading the article Bac posted it appears 25% of the population have downloaded a tracing app. Also sounds like they have leaned heavy on outdoor dining(and bars?) and thus are watching what happens when the cold weather comes.

Last edited:
fsg2 is melting down tonight exposing himself for all to see

Nope, sorry. I've provided more info on this page than you and WhiteBus combined. You again limited yourself to sending out a tweet of stuff you knew nothing about.

Nope, sorry. I've provided more info on this page than you and WhiteBus combined. You again limited yourself to sending out a tweet of stuff you knew nothing about.
Critisism isn't info. You provide only fear mongering posts.

1)I should have picked up on that. NJ Devils played there just last year.

2)Do they limit bars or restaurants? How bout large crowds, like sporting events and concerts?

Lower down it mentions that events of 1,000 plus people will be able to apply for permits again in October. So seems there are still restrictions.

you didnt even read the article...i bet they are wearing masks in these bars and restaurants lmfao

An official report from July 31 erroneously wrote that two-thirds of new infections in Switzerland were traceable to pubs and clubs. In fact, the government’s figures, corrected days later, showed that just 1.9 per cent of new infections occurred in nightclubs and a further 1.6 per cent in bars and restaurants. Most — 27 per cent — occurred within families.

you didnt even read the article...i bet they are wearing masks in these bars and restaurants lmfao

An official report from July 31 erroneously wrote that two-thirds of new infections in Switzerland were traceable to pubs and clubs. In fact, the government’s figures, corrected days later, showed that just 1.9 per cent of new infections occurred in nightclubs and a further 1.6 per cent in bars and restaurants. Most — 27 per cent — occurred within families.

Cool. They still have similar restrictions about face masks, large events, etc. Since you just posted them as a shining example of who to follow, you clearly agree with those restrictions. So we're now on the same page. Congrats, being on the logical side should be a nice change for you.

Also in that article:

"The rebound of Swiss social life over what has been a long and dry summer has been an almost entirely al fresco affair. As temperatures drop, it is unclear whether the virus caseload will tick up further as people gather indoors."

Also, to kickstart the vaccine discussion, here's Monday's post from the other thread...

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/t...entions-and-more.191275/page-218#post-4621615

An update to the vaccine development landscape in today's blog by Derek Lowe. If you really want to know the current status and issues associated with all the major vaccine candidates and the players in the game, read this. Nobody does it better, IMO. He summarizes the efforts across the major vaccine categories: viral vectors (includes the various adenovirus approached such as the Oxford-AZ collaboration which just entered phase III trials), genetic vaccines (includes Moderna's mRNA vaccine), recombinant protein vaccines (like Novavax's) and deactivated virus vaccines (old school, but proven and only China is playing in this space). The viral vector and genetic vaccine approaches have never been successfully deployed and approved in humans before, hence the skepticism of many on these approaches. He does these every few weeks.

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeli...navirus-vaccine-update-june-29#comment-322982

Another great update on the vaccine landscape by Derek Lowe today in his In The Pipeline blog in Science Translational Medicine. He's done several updates on individual vaccines over the past month or two, but this is his first comprehensive update in almost two months. He does a very nice job going through all the various vaccine categories and candidates in each category, with significant focus on the 9 in phase III and others already in early clinical trials. The NY Times also has a nice vaccine tracker, which is visually better organized than Lowe's effort and it contains a nice overview of the vaccine development process, but it's not nearly as detailed around the science of the vaccines. Lowe also has embedded links to all of his more in-depth blogs on individual vaccines and animal/human results to date.

I'm not going to try to repeat the discussions in either link, other than to say that we're really getting down to brass tacks soon, with the pivotal phase III trial results likely only about 2 months away and while I'm optimistic we'll have an approved vaccine by the end of the year (been saying that since April), I think people talking about approvals by the end of October are kidding themselves, given how much data are being generated and how much there will be to review prior to approval. I have listed the 10 vaccines in phase III, below for easy reference and all of them have had reasonably good safety profiles and implied efficacy (prompting good immune responses), so far, meaning no major red flags, but obviously in smaller phase II trials w/o any data on conferring immunity yet.

Keep in mind that all of the vaccines in phase II or III right now will require an initial shot and then a booster shot (typically a month later) to achieve optimal immunity, with the exception of the J&J (Janssen) vaccine which is looking at a single shot. Some of the vaccines that are a few months behind the frontrunners, like Novavax and the Merck/Themis vaccine are looking at single shots and possibly greater immunity levels. Also, remember that the FDA is saying a vaccine is "effective" if it can "prevent disease or decrease its severity in at least 50% of people who are vaccinated," so it's possible efficacy will look similar to the flu vaccine (although most experts expect much greater than 50% protection).
  • Moderna's mRNA vaccine; no mRNA vaccine has ever been approved before; requires -20C cold chain (freezers)
  • Pfizer/BioNTech's mRNA vaccine - requires -70C cold chain for stability of the formulation (dry ice storage typically - probably not a huge issue in first world countries, but a major issue elsewhere)
  • Astra Zeneca/Oxford's chimp adenovirus viral vector vaccine (only 1 vvv has been approved - Merck's Ebola vaccine)
  • CanSino's human adenovirus viral vector vaccine; human adenoviruses might have pre-existing immunity issues
  • J&J's human adenovirus viral vector vaccine (using an obscure human virus, hoping to avoid the pre-existing immunity issues); this one starts phase III any day now, so I included it.
  • Russia's Gamaleya Institute's human adenovirus viral vector vaccine (already "approved" in Russia - a PR stunt)
  • There are three Chinese vaccines using "old school" deactivated actual coronavirus (most vaccines in use today use this approach, but it's much harder to scale and often less potent, but it works usually); two of these also have "emergency use approvals" without phase III data, which is just dumb.
  • The last one is an oddball. It's a trial of the existing Bacillus Calmette-Guerin vaccine for tuberculosis in Australia.
In addition, here are a few more interesting links on some key issues for these vaccines. The first one is another Lowe blog entry, this time on what exactly "cold chain" means for vaccine stability, supply chains, and availability, especially in the 3rd world. The 2nd one is also a Lowe blog, on what can sound like a mundane topic, but it really isn't, as it's on things like ensuring there are enough glass vials or silica-coated vials for billions of doses and ensuring that the vials used are gas tight (a key for stability), which is no trivial task. I've done a lot of work in both of these areas over the years for new pharmaceuticals and they're not as "sexy" as the actual product, but if mishandled, they can derail an entire product launch.

Lastly, we should talk at least a bit about rumors of premature approvals or emergency use without appropriately vetted safety and efficacy data. Clearly, there is immense pressure to get some great vaccines out there as quickly as possible without cutting important corners (as there should be with lives at stake every day). My sincere hope is that this should be a moot point if the scientists at Warp Speed, NIH, FDA, etc. are making the decisions and I liked what I've heard from both Fauci and Slaoui (Warp Speed scientific lead) lately with regard to them not cutting corners to meet any artificial deadline (election day, for example) - if something is safe and effective by then, great, but if it's not, we wait for that day. The only thing I could see happening "early" is a potential "emergency use authorization" for early use in highly vulnerable people (health care workers in locations with outbreaks). I simply can't imagine this being "approved" for the public before full data on safety and efficacy are available from phase III trials. It would simply be monumentally stupid - and there's no way many would participate. We're not Russia or China.

Edit: I liked reading that the Pfizer and Merck CEO's both came out and said their companies simply won't consider filing for approval for a vaccine without having completed a successful phase III trial. That is excellent news for vaccine safety and efficacy.

https://www.livemint.com/news/world...gulatory-nod-for-vaccines-11599147880530.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT