ADVERTISEMENT

COVID-19 Pandemic: Transmissions, Deaths, Treatments, Vaccines, Interventions and More...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today might be the saddest day in this entire pandemic for me, after what the POTUS was revealed as saying today to Bob Woodward, on tape. I mean, there was always some small possibility that he had been kept out of the loop on the seriousness of the novel coronavirus, at least through February, as unlikely as that sounds, but today we finally heard the absolute proof we'd been lacking about how heinous this president's lies have been.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/09/politics/bob-woodward-rage-book-trump-coronavirus/index.html

On Feb 7th, while talking to Woodward, he essentially said he knew that the virus was "highly contagious and airborne" and that it was "five times as deadly as the flu." The interview also confirmed previous reports that he had been briefed in depth in late January on information that very few people had at the time, leading to the ban in travel from China, but very few additional measures.

But despite having that information, for the next 6 weeks (and to this day, given his continued mocking of wearing masks) he continued to downplay the threat of this virus (I assume I don't need to include all his quotes about the virus "disappearing" and everything being under control) instead of doing everything in his power to mobilize the considerable resources of the Federal Government, in coordination with the states, in order to contain and mitigate the impacts of the virus. And then on 3/19, he admits to Woodward that he's been "downplaying the virus" because he "didn't want to create a panic."

Many of us always "knew" he knew how bad the virus was, but we didn't have absolute proof until today. He should resign for downplaying the risk of the deadliest pandemic to hit the US in 100 years and failing to take the steps that likely would've saved 75-90% of the lives we've lost, as I've posted about dozens of times. This has been the saddest chapter in US history.

I'm sure about 8 people will "report" this post as being political. It is and I don't really care if this gets me banned, because it'll free up a lot of time for (especially as I have an expanded consulting role with my old company starting any day now to work on getting their new COVID antiviral drug to market) me and I've kind of had enough of arguing with cultists, who simply have no concept of what science is.
Time for you to take a break unless you want to get this thread locked. Calm down and adhere to Richie's rules. No politics. Thank you!

Reactions: bac2therac
Time for the thread to be shutdown. One side has now made it entirely political. This thread has outweighed its use. I was called the C word by two posters including the esteemed OP who called me a Dumb C basically in an acronym

How misogynist of him in a thread he claims is serious

Turn out the lights the party is over
Snowflake.

Yawn, your act is anciently old, tiresome and pathetic

Go find a safe place and cry in a fetal position, I'm sure you hoarded enough tissues.

You had a chance to run with an informative, non-political thread but you could never help yourself from early on.
Go find a safe space he yells as he threatens to get another poster banned for saying mean facts!

Iam "extremely" skeptical of "all" Virus positive/death diagnosis. Since my Companies medical staff labeled me as having Corona Virus. (My job was shut down for2 weeks due to employee testing positive and subsequently succumbing to the virus) I fell ill in the same time frame, and my doctor diagnosed me with a middle ear infection and his treatment for that was effective. Yet in my interview with medical personnel for clearance to return to work, my official paperwork stated I had Coronavirus and was now cleared to work since I have not inhibited any symptoms in 14 days. So my ear infection was labeled CV19.
So my question? How often has this occurred over the last 6 months? And to what end is it's goal?

Just for clarification, Bolton is not voting for Biden or Trump. He’s writing in a candidate. I only brought his book up because no one is to the right of Bolton and he was appalled at how dysfunctional the WH is
Bolton found it dysfunctional based upon his being from the mind set of Washington DC elitists from the past 50 years. The guy is a far right hawk ...a proponent if war ...with a mustache like that HTF can you believe this psycho? The guy is pure evil and is proud of it.

Reactions: RUJohnny
Bolton found it dysfunctional based upon his being from the mind set of Washington DC elitists from the past 50 years. The guy is a far right hawk ...a proponent if war ...with a mustache like that HTF can you believe this psycho? The guy is pure evil and is proud of it.
Let's not about hair as being a deciding factor on whether or not to believe someone, lol.

Iam "extremely" skeptical of "all" Virus positive/death diagnosis. Since my Companies medical staff labeled me as having Corona Virus. (My job was shut down for2 weeks due to employee testing positive and subsequently succumbing to the virus) I fell ill in the same time frame, and my doctor diagnosed me with a middle ear infection and his treatment for that was effective. Yet in my interview with medical personnel for clearance to return to work, my official paperwork stated I had Coronavirus and was now cleared to work since I have not inhibited any symptoms in 14 days. So my ear infection was labeled CV19.
So my question? How often has this occurred over the last 6 months? And to what end is it's goal?
Probably... no make that likely added in order to cover all possibilities and future legal actions against the medical people.

I don't believe that your situation would impact the numbers at all. I beleive that official covid numbers are based on numbers reported by county/state health departments which are based on test results. Unless your company gave you a covid test and reported the results to the county health dept, their "diagnosis" would just be local to the company.

I don't believe that your situation would impact the numbers at all. I beleive that official covid numbers are based on numbers reported by county/state health departments which are based on test results. Unless your company gave you a covid test and reported the results to the county health dept, their "diagnosis" would just be local to the company.
That is correct.

Reactions: Greg2020
the president you love thought he was good enough to hire.

Because he snitched on the boss or because he spent the last 40 years advocating, instituting, and/or funding a movement that culminated in the boss.
If that's really what you think, you're not paying attention. With Trump we've enjoyed four years of relative international peace. Remember when Iran shot at a boat or a drone or something and everyone on team Bolton was frothing at the mouth for war? Trump is not a creature of the Republican regime. He's basically a nativist democrat.

Reactions: bac2therac
Just to be clear to those that responded to my post. Everything I related is Fact!
However you all responded with "I believe", "probably" and "likely".
So your answers are based on no factual criteria. Just how you think it is. How would you know if that data was not sent to a governmental agency? I don't.
One more thing the 2 individuals that interacted up close and personal in the employees house that passed away, neither contracted the CV19.
Your answers only further my skepticism of all data related to CV19. Since your answer's are nothing more than conjecture.

Just to be clear to those that responded to my post. Everything I related is Fact!
So your answers are based on no factual criteria. Just how you think it is. How would you know if that data was not sent to a governmental agency? I don't.
One more thing the 2 individuals that interacted up close and personal in the employees house that passed away, neither contracted the CV19.
Your answers only further my skepticism of all data related to CV19. Since your answer's are nothing more than conjecture.

So you should probably ask the parties that would have definitive FACTS ...like your company. Not a message board of anonymous strangers.

Reactions: Greg2020 and RU-05
the president you love thought he was good enough to hire.
Greg: I never said I love the President... you can’t resist can you ... I love my family and I love my life what about you Gregory? You are like a child with all the attacks on people... you must have really been bullied as a young person... I have been attempting to treat you right but this will be it for me and you... tell your grandpa I said hello...

Reactions: Caliknight
They don't know, and you don't know. They believe and you believe.

I for one also believe that official stats are based on actual tests. I think the tests for various reasons are on the iffy side, but I don't think they are throwing non confirmed cases in the official totals.

Numbers where else did you say you posted? I think you post similar information here but with less trolls. You guys do a god job of running a great thread with someone posting useful information into the ground.

It's one thing to have differing opinions on things, but my god, rarely is a point made by the trolls ITT. I would've given up posting useful, data driven information ages ago if I was #'s.

People like bac, T2k are LITERALLY the reason we can't have nice things. Good work.

From CDC website:
Data Sources, References & Notes: Total cases are based on aggregate counts of COVID-19 cases reported by state and territorial jurisdictions to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) since January 21, 2020, with the exception of persons repatriated to the United States from Wuhan, China, and Japan. The numbers are confirmed and probable COVID-19 cases as reported by U.S. states, U.S. territories, New York City, and the District of Columbia from the previous day. *Counts for New York City and New York state are shown separately; data for New York State show total cases and deaths for the State excluding data for NYC. When not available to CDC this is annotated by N/A. Rates are calculated using U.S. Census Bureau, 2018 American Community Survey 1-year estimates and are shown as cases/100,000 people. The map shows total cases per state, new cases in the last 7 days per state, and the rate (cases/100,000) per state. The 7-day moving average of new cases (current day + 6 preceding days / 7) was calculated to smooth expected variations in daily counts. Demographic data for deaths is based on a subset of cases where case-level data is available. Case numbers reported on other websites may differ from what is posted on CDC’s website because CDC’s overall case numbers are validated through a confirmation process with each jurisdiction. Differences between reporting jurisdictions and CDC’s website may occur due to the timing of reporting and website updates. The process used for finding and confirming cases displayed by other sites may differ.

How Cases are positive and probable cases are defined:
Probable
  • Meets clinical criteria AND epidemiologic evidence with no confirmatory laboratory testing performed for COVID-19.
  • Meets presumptive laboratory evidence AND either clinical criteria OR epidemiologic evidence.
  • Meets vital records criteria with no confirmatory laboratory testing performed for COVID-19.
Confirmed
  • Meets confirmatory laboratory evidence.

Time for the thread to be shutdown. One side has now made it entirely political. This thread has outweighed its use. I was called the C word by two posters including the esteemed OP who called me a Dumb C basically in an acronym

How misogynist of him in a thread he claims is serious

Turn out the lights the party is over
One side, lol. There are far more posts in this thread calling Cuomo and Murphy murderers than there are criticizing Trump. This thread was in decent shape until the CE board shut down and then all the folks (on both sides of the aisle) who were arguing incessantly about COVID over there came to this thread, causing Richie to lock the first one and start this one with his warnings, but very few have paid attention to those warnings and this thread has become a mess.

Richie and I have talked about this thread a few times and his strong guidance to me was to ignore the trolling from folks like you and to report inappropriate/political posts and to not make political posts. Unfortunately, while I know it was good advice, not engaging with people, especially when they make wildly inaccurate posts, especially about the science, is just not in my nature and I haven't done well with that advice or with the reporting post advice, as that's not my style (that is clearly T's style, however).

And while I've significantly reduced my political content, occasionally it seems necessary to me bring in politics, especially when there's big political news which is very relevant to the pandemic, like the Woodward tapes with Trump, on the record, demonstrating that he had been lying to the American public about the severity of the pandemic for weeks - are you actually ok with that?

Anyway, you might be right about locking the thread, which may not even matter for me, as I've been strongly considering stopping posting regularly in this thread anyway, as more than half of my time is wasted arguing with people who simply don't understand the science of this pandemic and never will no matter how hard I try to make my points, plus I'm about to get much busier with work. Will certainly make my life easier.

By the way, I actually thought you had a thicker skin and that you might chuckle at the acronym, which has nothing to do with misogyny. Didn't realize you were such a sensitive snowflake. My apologies.

The number of new US COVID cases has dropped off a cliff recently ...GREAT News !! From Hopkins; the 7 day average of new cases is down to about 1/3rd of what it was at its peak and is now even below the peak of the first spike in April. Today - 26.4K cases, July Peak - 77.2K, April Peak 33.5K. Looks to me like the curve has been slashed significantly and on its way to being flattened - the US public has embraced what it takes to slow the spread. Pretty clear to me that the worst of this is clearly behind us.

Keep a few things in mind. While it's great to see continued declines, we thought the worst was behind us in May and then we reopened way too quickly in many states, without meeting the CDC's reopening metrics, and we then had a huge 2nd wave. And now we've just reopened schools and universities and are only a few weeks from colder weather, which generally drives people indoors and it's well known that transmission risks are greater indoors (especially with prolonged contact), which is why IHME and others are predicting another spike in cases. As I said the other day, I think they're overestimating that impact, but nobody can know for sure. I sure hope the worst is behind us, but we have to wait on that, IMO.

One other point. The "first wave" was likely at least twice as large as shown with regard to cases, because we simply didn't have anywhere near as much testing back then, which was why positivity rates in the NE US were often >40% (wave 2 has rarely had positivity rates >20%). This is corroborated by the hospitalizations, which aren't a function of testing - hospitalizations were about the same in both waves, so actual cases should've been about the same (if we were testing similarly).

The really interesting observation beyond that, as I post about in my weekly updates (one coming tonight) is that the death rate peak in wave 2 was about half that of wave 1 (which is within range of what I predicted). If one assumes people were consistent in entering hospitals with significant illness in both waves, this implies that our pharmaceutical treatments and medical procedures were much improved, cutting death rates, which is great. I also remain confident in further treatment improvements soon (engineered antibodies) and safe/effective vaccines being available by the end of the year. Pretty sure there's no fear-mongering in this post or my regular posts on national/state data.

52r9Luw.png

Greg: I never said I love the President... you can’t resist can you ... I love my family and I love my life what about you Gregory? You are like a child with all the attacks on people... you must have really been bullied as a young person... I have been attempting to treat you right but this will be it for me and you... tell your grandpa I said hello...
How is that an attack? I didn't attack you at all.

Numbers where else did you say you posted? I think you post similar information here but with less trolls. You guys do a god job of running a great thread with someone posting useful information into the ground.

It's one thing to have differing opinions on things, but my god, rarely is a point made by the trolls ITT. I would've given up posting useful, data driven information ages ago if I was #'s.

People like bac, T2k are LITERALLY the reason we can't have nice things. Good work.

Thanks, as I've said I've been thinking of dialing back a lot here, partly due to a change in free time and partly due to being weary of the trolling. Posts like yours and some others are why I've continued this long. I post the same content on FB (with a bit more politics, since I don't get trolled much even though I have Trump supporting friends), so if you know who I am, you can read it there (if you don't you can ask any premium member to IM you and me for that info). I also post the same content to an AmericanWx thread on COVID, sans the bickering and politics for the most part, since they have a zero tolerance policy on non-scientific content and they moderate far more aggressively than here, so they will delete such content nearly immediately (which is why I wouldn't even bother with the Woodward post there).

European Union surpasses US in daily number of cases.

Most likely due to the end of the August holidays.
Keep in mind that the EU+UK has about 1.4X the population of the US, so the US is still well ahead of the EU in cases per capita, although it's definitely true that the EU is increasing and the US is decreasing (although the US had a few thousand more cases than the EU+UK yesterday). Positivity rates are also lower in the EU (more testing) and deaths per capita are far lower, although the lag in deaths should send the EU numbers up in coming weeks.

the fact of the matter it doesnt matter what Trump SAID, it matters what was being DONE which included getting the public to buy into a quasi national lockdown which is a miracle all things considered. There were also things being done behind the scenes in prepping and Fauci backs Trump up as well. The idea that the public would buy into a lockdown in early February with a couple of cases is total revisionist history. When we bring up politicians in the thread which will almost always happen at some point, we need to stick to facts, not opinions....ACTIONS. Politicians are all about rhetoric and distortions of truth. Trump, Obama, Bush, Clinton they are all the same. Actions speak louder than words

If you believe that Trump should have locked down the country in February then make the argument as to how that was going to be accomplished with a handful of cases. Reme
I vote for locking the thread so only numbers can post.

It’ll be worth it so T2K and the rest of the CE gang have nowhere to troll.

wait where is the thread when we have Numbers and Evolution calling other people *****...missed that one, oh wait its this one

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT