ADVERTISEMENT

Covid Positive Test Rates Reduces B1G to Big 5

Knight Shift

Legend
May 19, 2011
Jersey Shore

Rutgers, Illinois, Michigan, Michigan State and Northwestern to battle it out for B5G supremacy! Rutgers starts season ranked at #1 in Conference!!!:Sly::Wink:

Never would have guest Iowa to be in such bad shape.

Reactions: Scarlet83

Rutgers, Illinois, Michigan, Michigan State and Northwestern to battle it out for B5G supremacy! Rutgers starts season ranked at #1 in Conference!!!:Sly::Wink:

Never would have guest Iowa to be in such bad shape.

Shift - Great OP. Very interesting stats. Thanks!

I just hope and pray that the areas of this country that have not locally experienced significant Covid can learn from those of us who have. For the economy and for lives saved (and for Rutgers Football)! Seriously, it would be such a humongous boost to America if we can have a college football season. It’s all in our control, but are we diligent enough and do we all have the foresight to personally sacrifice a little now, to get so much back in return later? We will see.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Not to downplay the virus but I am more interested in the hospitalization / death rates for those states (than how many test positive). Outside of ICU's being overwhelmed it seems like most people testing positive are relatively healthy and will have no real impacts. I assume that is a natural progression of the virus through a community to get to herd immunity if there is no vaccine (which I hope would be a good thing). I have to assume that is why the numbers for this area are better. Been reading a lot about the 1918 Spanish Flu and how relatively quickly it disappeared. That death toll was huge.

Not to downplay the virus but I am more interested in the hospitalization / death rates for those states (than how many test positive). Outside of ICU's being overwhelmed it seems like most people testing positive are relatively healthy and will have no real impacts. I assume that is a natural progression of the virus through a community to get to herd immunity if there is no vaccine (which I hope would be a good thing). I have to assume that is why the numbers for this area are better. Been reading a lot about the 1918 Spanish Flu and how relatively quickly it disappeared. That death toll was huge.
A few things to keep in mind. The death rate is lower since doctors have new ways to treat patients and it's helped reduce the number of deaths. As far as herd immunity, it remains to be seen. If the virus acts similar to the common cold, expect mutations more often making a cure difficult. Last note, even if you survive infection, it's the long term effects that may be more harmful like your lungs never functioning properly again.

Been reading a lot about the 1918 Spanish Flu and how relatively quickly it disappeared. That death toll was huge.
Many experts attribute that to the virus mutating to a less lethal form which then made its way through the population.

"experts" tell us sub-5% rates are important..... and if 100% of the population was getting tested on a rolling 14-28 day period, I'd agree.......

But, given gaps in testing I'm still unconvinced anything means much of anything.......

It could also just mean that Iowa has fewer paranoid hypochondriacs that feel the need to run out a get a test increasing the denominator.

Reactions: RUhasarrived
"experts" tell us sub-5% rates are important..... and if 100% of the population was getting tested on a rolling 14-28 day period, I'd agree.......

But, given gaps in testing I'm still unconvinced anything means much of anything.......

It could also just mean that Iowa has fewer paranoid hypochondriacs that feel the need to run out a get a test increasing the denominator.

paranoid hypochondriacs getting tested !!

Hahahahahahaha ! Did you type that out with a straight face?

Reactions: okieKnight908
Many experts attribute that to the virus mutating to a less lethal form which then made its way through the population.
True. And I would hope the same happens here. I also read reports of that virus starting in the US, China or Europe (possibly different types) and the war spreading it globally. No war for this one but sounds familiar.

As I understand it, some significant portion of the improvement in death rate is due to doctors having an improved understanding of how to treat the illness now, learned through trial and error treating the illness for over 4 months in the US and longer elsewhere.

Shift - Great OP. Very interesting stats. Thanks!

I just hope and pray that the areas of this country that have not locally experienced significant Covid can learn from those of us who have. For the economy and for lives saved (and for Rutgers Football)! Seriously, it would be such a humongous boost to America if we can have a college football season. It’s all in our control, but are we diligent enough and do we all have the foresight to personally sacrifice a little now, to get so much back in return later? We will see.
They should have learned from us 2 months ago.

Reactions: Kbee3 and Scarlet83
I guess the thought was the warm weather would lower the threat. That appears to not be the case with this version of the virus. We can only hope it's weakening.
The thought was that they didn't know anyone that had gotten sick or died from it yet. It was a NE problem and not their problem as masks were an infringement on their rights.

The thought was that they didn't know anyone that had gotten sick or died from it yet. It was a NE problem and not their problem as masks were an infringement on their rights.
Agreed except for the last part. Yes there is an element of people that do not want to wear masks but that has more to do with US societal norms than a rights issue. Attitudes change when confronted with a new reality.

paranoid hypochondriacs getting tested !!

Hahahahahahaha ! Did you type that out with a straight face?

you don't like the descriptor?

Fact is, NJ tests more than other most states for their population........ bigger denominator.. y'now - maths

Tests per 100k (where reported)

New York 24,288
New Jersey 19,144
Louisiana 20,509
Arizona 9,650
Rhode Island 16,354
Massachusetts 14,017
District of Columbia 18,451
Connecticut 16,529
Delaware 14,312
Florida 12,29

Makes one wonder how many of the 573,000 people who have died worldwide from this virus where "paranoid hypochondriacs", doesn't it?

Reactions: Kbee3
Makes one wonder how many of the 573,000 people who have died worldwide from this virus where "paranoid hypochondriacs", doesn't it?

I don't think you understand what math means...

oohh... numbers... scary....

I never said, or implied, this wasn't a serious disease.

A few things to keep in mind. The death rate is lower since doctors have new ways to treat patients and it's helped reduce the number of deaths. As far as herd immunity, it remains to be seen. If the virus acts similar to the common cold, expect mutations more often making a cure difficult. Last note, even if you survive infection, it's the long term effects that may be more harmful like your lungs never functioning properly again.
The long-term impact is something we just don't have a handle on yet. I posted this elsewhere, but we seem to be fixated on death vs. survival. "Well he didn't die so all is good!" Well, maybe that's not the case. Many people could be severely compromised for life.

Yes, no one is really telling us about the percentage of people that survive and have long-term health issues....especially with fibrotic lung damage and low oxygen levels. Too much news on reducing the number of deaths and shortening recovery time...even if that means long-term health issues like lung damage!

put numbers in perspective---iowa has an average of 1 or 2 deaths per day, indiana 4 or 5,minny ,wisc 4or 5 check out neb and pa for yourself all pretty low compared to njs current 7 day average

R rate is not good anywhere in big ten right now ...

R rate if 1 means each infected person infects 1. Below 1 virus will decline in population over time, above increase.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT