ADVERTISEMENT

COVID youth summer sports

restartRU

Senior
Feb 20, 2005
looking for some insight and perspective on what could be in store for us this summer. really hoping this doesn't devolve into the typical political nonsense. please go yell at your girlfriend or another family member instead.

so i have 2 boys who are avid lacrosse players and both fancy themselves future college players. basically our summer is going to lacrosse camps and travel tournaments. Probably a horrible summer for most - but my wife and I and our boys love it. my daughter is a lacrosse orphan and hates it.

I'm expecting that summer sports tournaments on the east coast will be cancelled esp. NY NJ Conn. staying in a hotel and spending a lot of time with large groups just seems like a bad plan.

I'm a little optimistic that my boys' travel teams will be able to play other local Jersey/NY teams (We live in North Jersey). but just not at tournaments. Also kind of hoping that some local venues will host smaller sided games. I know some venues and Jersey teams are having these discussions. anyone think there is a legit shot at this? tennis really seems like a great sport right about now.

Rebounder, net and having each other makes this a not so lost Summer.

How old are they?

Depends on a few factors but first, where do you play games? High school fields, town parks, county parks, state parks or privately owned? (not sure if there are private lacrosse fields?).

parks are starting to open back up for walking and hiking but not for group activities. At some point the parks may start allowing more and more activities but my guess is youth sports would be the last type of activity to open.
I doubt any school fields will allow anything this summer, especially non school sanctioned sports. Each town and county will be different as well.
Best case would be August, in my opinion but I am not counting on it.
My daughter plays softball and I don’t know what to expect this summer. We are in the same situation.

Reactions: restartRU
I think you'll find some camps in the southeast (FL, GA, SC, NC, etc.) open. Some people I know are looking to shorten their schedules - but hoping to run in July/Aug.

Can see why NY/NJ area camps will mostly be cancelled.

slots will be very hard to come by and prices will be going up (to cover the fixed costs of fewer programs).

Rebounder, net and having each other makes this a not so lost Summer.

How old are they?

9th and 6th grade. trying hard to make lemonade out of lemons and we have a good set-up with a goal, rebounder (all ball pro is a great rebounder and worth the money IMO), paved and grass area to play and a great wall which is on a evenly paved lot at a nearby school. But that stuff is great for a week or 2 or even a month or 2. Its starting to get old and that regime can't hold up for several months or a year plus if that happens.

9th and 6th grade. trying hard to make lemonade out of lemons and we have a good set-up with a goal, rebounder (all ball pro is a great rebounder and worth the money IMO), paved and grass area to play and a great wall which is on a evenly paved lot at a nearby school. But that stuff is great for a week or 2 or even a month or 2. Its starting to get old and that regime can't hold up for several months or a year plus if that happens.
Well with two they can still throw and catch. Mine are the same age difference but older. Younger one lost his junior HS season and the older one just got back into it with club in college. He plays hockey and one club guys is his roommate.

And we spent on the EZ Goal rebounder. Also pricey but that’s the one I would buy again. Our goal is an EZ one too. Backstop I found on the Internet but can’t remember the brand.

Daughter plays competitive soccer and last I heard EDP was still evaluating potential start dates for league play and tournaments.

The national soccer body has already canceled all national competitions and wants things held only at a regional level. So I'm thinking tournaments will have to be something like 90-120 minutes away so hotel stays won't be required.

Her club also goes to Golden Goal near Lake George each summer for 4 days. No idea if that will happen either at this point.

Great thread.

My sons play club lax and our summer tournaments keep getting pushed. Some into early August at this point (we were traveling East to Annapolis). I’m not optimistic about playing in any at all.

One of my boys also plays club soccer. ODP was canceled and his club team is trying to get together to train in June. Lots of pressure to get these sports and other summer activities (including things like community recreation programs) moving.

Little League cancelled the LLWS but is allowing for seasons and state and local division tournaments. However that is with the caveat that you have to follow the guidance from your state and local government officials. I would assume most leagues are doing the same.

NJ.com had an article a week or two ago (time is starting to become a blur) about Summer Camps offering virtual camps. And yes, that does sound lame to me too. I think some of this stuff has gone overboard, but if I had a child I might be extra cautious too.

My kids LAX season was canceled. As was already suggested we have a rebounder that we’ve practiced with in the yard.

The bigger issue is wrestling. My son wrestles pretty competitively (his main sport) and we have no idea when his club will open back up let alone tournaments. The NJ youth states and War at the Shore were both canceled but thankfully he was able to wrestle in his league year end tournaments. But of all youth sports that will get hit hardest wrestling is definitely at the top.

My son will probably be on the football field before the mat at this point. Daughter does gymnastics which probably will be slow to open as well.

Reactions: Leonard23
ADVERTISEMENT