ADVERTISEMENT

Crazy at St John's

RU72

All American
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2001
An hour ago,Wusu,Posh Alexander and Storr entered the portal. They are all seriously good. Pitino clearly is going to start from scratch.Cant imagine Curbelo will be back. He is literally going to build a team around Soriano and the portal $$$.He is all over Ledlum and Timberlake,but UNC is still strongly pursuing Timberlake. If he pulls this off and Dances with a brand new roster,it would be at a minimum revolutionary. And a game with them still could happen.He did it his way.

Reactions: gregkoko
An hour ago,Wusu,Posh Alexander and Storr entered the portal. They are all seriously good. Pitino clearly is going to start from scratch.Cant imagine Curbelo will be back. He is literally going to build a team around Soriano and the portal $$$.He is all over Ledlum and Timberlake,but UNC is still strongly pursuing Timberlake. If he pulls this off and Dances with a brand new roster,it would be at a minimum revolutionary. And a game with them still could happen.He did it his way.
He will dance with the team that he puts together.

Best of Luck,
Groz

Reactions: ruman and gregkoko
It isn't that easy. If i were a betting man I'd take the NO if it was even money.

It isn't that easy. If i were a betting man I'd take the NO if it was even money.
It isn't that easy, but I do know that Pitino is one of the greatest coaches of all-time.(You can talk about his off the court indiscretions, but no one can argue that he is not a great basketball mind and coach).

Many other schools have used the Portal to either add many pieces(Baylor, Texas Tech(last few years), Kansas St, Xavier, etc) or almost start from scratch and make an NCAA team.

The Big East will be the strongest conference in the country next year with Pitino at St. John's and Cooley at Georgetown. Add them to UConn, Marquette, Xavier, Creighton, Villanova(coming off down year), and Providence(might be down now).

Add in the Vitamin Water money + Pitino = NCAA tourney team

Best of Luck,
Groz

It's really hard to build a full team with depth exclusively from the portal. If he gets a stud PG what other PG is going to want to go there too? Unless the NIL money is too much to pass up I don't see it.

Reactions: shields
It isn't that easy, but I do know that Pitino is one of the greatest coaches of all-time.(You can talk about his off the court indiscretions, but no one can argue that he is not a great basketball mind and coach).

Many other schools have used the Portal to either add many pieces(Baylor, Texas Tech(last few years), Kansas St, Xavier, etc) or almost start from scratch and make an NCAA team.

The Big East will be the strongest conference in the country next year with Pitino at St. John's and Cooley at Georgetown. Add them to UConn, Marquette, Xavier, Creighton, Villanova(coming off down year), and Providence(might be down now).

Best of Luck,
Groz
I hate agreeing with this

Best of Luck,
Groz
Didn't David Wright make a lot of money from Vitamin Water? I thought it was sold to pepsi.

Reactions: William J. Leggett
Does he really like 0 of the kids on the current roster or is part of this clearing house for the sake of clearing house?

hope he gets caught with more violations and crimes,then again in NYC ,they dont prosecute crimes,and the NCAA could care less,so everyone should just cheat.Cheating pays off as does buying players,look at Miami.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
hope he gets caught with more violations and crimes,then again in NYC ,they dont prosecute crimes,and the NCAA could care less,so everyone should just cheat.Cheating pays off as does buying players,look at Miami.
Pitino is building around Soriano, who he already anointed as captain. He will bring in Walter Clayton of Iona and some Big 12 kids from NYC are instantly interested in St John's.The top of the Big East will be a bear,but he can exceed Seton Hall and Providence early on. Thad Matta should get it going at Butler,so only DePaul will be soft. Watch out for Creighton as they are as well funded and profitable as any team in the country,have large NIL and sellout a 16000 seat building always. Sometimes less is more without football and being the only game in town.

Best of Luck,
Groz
A few years ago I predicted the big east would very very slowly slide Down to something like AAC level. This was based on Nova being the only thing keeping them up, and Wright eventually retiring

Add in that the power five conferences would not give them a square deal in tournament, favoring the football conferences, the ugly step child

It looked right for a while with the slide down of St. John’s, Georgetown and also Syracuse a bit

Now, other teams rose up, add in the probable rise of St Johns, maybe Georgetown. The addition of UConn not expected

It’s seems they have it going

Last edited:
Didn’t Pitino make it very clear there were many attitude problems with ST John’s? Should be no shock the several “name” players left. Did St John’s win with them ? No

Pitino knows who he can win with.

A few years ago I predicted the big east would very very slowly slide Down to something like AAC level. This was based on Nova being the only thing keeping them up, and Wright eventually retiring

Add in that the power five conferences would not give them a square deal in tournament, favoring the football conferences, the ugly step child

It looked right for a while with the slide down of St. John’s, Georgetown and also Syracuse a bit

Now, other teams rose up, add in the probable rise of St Johns, maybe Georgetown.

It’s seems they have it going
You weren't the only one Weezer, a lot of people on this site have been predicting the same thing for the past decade. In some cases I think it was based on wishful thinking as much as rational analysis. Despite the naysayers, it's pretty clear the Big East will continue to be a strong basketball conference. They're homogeneous, have tradition, brands, major media markets in the northeast and midwest, and the Garden. The return of UConn really solidified things as well. I'm not sure they're going to be the "best" conference next year, as someone posted above, but the reports of their demise are greatly exaggerated.

In some cases I think it was based on wishful thinking as much as rational analysis.

I would argue this applies to 99% of the "projections" on this board. From professional draft opportunities, to incoming recruits, to current players "taking the next step" in the off season.

Just wait until the "Clif WILL shoot and make 3s. No doubt" threads start popping up in September.

I am thinking he already has some portal transfers lined up based on this news and what he said at his introductory press conference. And BE Phil is right - it's not as if this program tore it up with these guys.

Pitino arranged hookers for players and recruits. He had his 2017 National Championship vacated.
It's a joke the NCAA lets him coach - nothing should be surprising
He's also great at winning college basketball games.
Same as Calipari left each program before Kentucky on probation yet he just moves on to make millions amd leaves the previous college in tatters
Wait till he leaves Kentucky you will see their team GPA all these years is on a par with the Delta House in Animal House!!

I'm intrigued to see how this goes. Pretty Ricky is a lights out coach and his teams are fun to watch. St John's is about to elevate. Only thing we need to be concerned about - is continuing to grow our program

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Considering adequate pipe-laying is a quintessential component to a successful college basketball program, I predict Pitino will dance in year 2.

Best of Luck,
Groz
Re Pitino coaching.
He was an early user of the 3 pointer.
But in typical fashion he took it too far and was influential on wiping out the midrange game that is just being rediscovered today.

I'm not a big fan.
Although I can't argue he hasn't been successful.
L

Re Pitino coaching.
He was an early user of the 3 pointer.
But in typical fashion he took it too far and was influential on wiping out the midrange game that is just being rediscovered today.

I'm not a big fan.
Although I can't argue he hasn't been successful.
L
That Providence team was fun to watch. Made them one of the top-scoring teams in the country and took them to a FF in his second year. They shot 42% from 3 as a team in 86-87, why would you take any 2's? 😃

Reactions: rubigtimenow
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT