ADVERTISEMENT

Curbello is available

Pikiell would never do it and he wouldn't be my first choice but I'd actually take the gamble.

Curbelo is getting better from outside, but he is a career 21% 3pt shooter over 3 seasons, 29% this year. He hasn't played a full season, 6'1 175, since his first year off the bench, 31/31, missed 14 in year 2 and 7 this year. I just can't see it happening or the need, whether Paul comes back or not. He won't improve our shooting problem and can't see him playing good defense.

If Paul doesn't comeback, I'm happy to give the reigns to Derek Simpson, Cam 2nd and Jamichael Davis as a third option. We need a 1 yr rental, ie Paul's 5th year, combo or 2 guard, not a 2 years left guy running the risk of screwing up our 2024 class.

Reactions: shields
Although, when he does, there is a Curly Neal-like quality to his movement. Interesting and sometimes fun to watch if you're not emotionally invested in the game.
No doubt about his talent. His problem is his equal ability for losing as well as winning a game for his team

Last edited:
Every time I saw this guy play he reminded me of early Jacob Young here

Fast, out of control , turnover prone, and leaving the basketball behind
Jacob did get better, but his guy….

Probably gets the exception with the Pitino coming in and telling everyone besides Soriano to get lost. Would be my guess and it would be fair in my opinion.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Take him in a heart beat. Curbello is a genuine talent. Lack of players around him and a terrible scheme forced him into putting up every late shot clock heave for the Johnnies. He is good. Selfishness doesn't bother me a long as he can be coached. Lose Jalen. Gain Curbello and we are a much better team.

Reactions: AdventureHasAName
Take him in a heart beat. Curbello is a genuine talent. Lack of players around him and a terrible scheme forced him into putting up every late shot clock heave for the Johnnies. He is good. Selfishness doesn't bother me a long as he can be coached. Lose Jalen. Gain Curbello and we are a much better team.
You’re talking only offensive end of the court, right?

TIC…Does his Grandpa, Juan Epstein, still live in Brooklyn? Or, did he move out to Long Island too?

No. But I'm surprised to see @kcg88 willing to roll the dice. Reasoning?
My general theory is that teams can live with one knucklehead but any more and you've got problems. The rest of the roster is set chemistry-wise. Also, once a guy has to transfer twice he usually starts to get the message. Teddy Allen did not work with Bob Huggins or Fred Hoiberg but finally got it together by the time he got to New Mexico State. And we badly need his playmaking.

Again, definitely not my first choice but if we struck out with those options I'd give it a shot. I understand Pikiell (and many others) don't feel that way.

I guess you don't remember him playing for Illinois 2 years ago.

ADVERTISEMENT