ADVERTISEMENT

Current B1G Standings

Not sure how the B1G Tournament will work. But Ohio St is ineligible for postseason play. If we pass Northwestern (they still have a game against Maryland upcoming), and finish ahead of them, would that give us the 4th spot in the conference and give us a double bye. It might be better to finish in 5th and get an extra game. That could help with NCAA seeding.

Wasn’t aware OSU was ineligible - that does make for weird Conference tournement.

Wasn’t aware OSU was ineligible - that does make for weird Conference tournement.

Self-imposed by OSU due to recruiting violations by the staff. If I recall, McGuff had a similar issue at Xavier and left for OSU shortly thereafter.

Not sure the NCAA has added a penalty yet or will.

Reactions: ScarletteK80
Did some checking and OSU cannot participate in “post-season”. I can’t find anywhere if that includes only the NCAA Tournament or also the B1G Tourney.

What I imagine they’ll do about OSU is just move everyone up 1 spot for seeding .. so instead of the top 10 having byes, the top 11 will - the 11/14 game would be canceled and new #11 just moves on automatically, and #14 moves up to play in the #12/13 game (bottom 2 seeds).

As for conference standings, I really don’t agree with how they rank them (by conf winning percentage) ... it hurts us on the men’s side but benefits us here, but I still don’t agree. Because it gives an advantage to teams who played less games due to Covid ... 5-4 is better than 7-6, even though in both cases you won 1 more game than you lost. In my opinion, I agree with Schiano that Covid is the biggest opponent, and not being careful/having to quarantine should hurt you in the standings, not help you. For that reason, I think the standings should this year be based only on number of wins, rather than overall winning percentage.

Did some checking and OSU cannot participate in “post-season”. I can’t find anywhere if that includes only the NCAA Tournament or also the B1G Tourney.

from buckeyextra.com , Feb 14, after their cancelled game vs Northwestern "Buckeyes, who are unable to participate in either NCAA or Big Ten tournaments"

What I imagine they’ll do about OSU is just move everyone up 1 spot for seeding .. so instead of the top 10 having byes, the top 11 will - the 11/14 game would be canceled and new #11 just moves on automatically, and #14 moves up to play in the #12/13 game (bottom 2 seeds).

As for conference standings, I really don’t agree with how they rank them (by conf winning percentage) ... it hurts us on the men’s side but benefits us here, but I still don’t agree. Because it gives an advantage to teams who played less games due to Covid ... 5-4 is better than 7-6, even though in both cases you won 1 more game than you lost. In my opinion, I agree with Schiano that Covid is the biggest opponent, and not being careful/having to quarantine should hurt you in the standings, not help you. For that reason, I think the standings should this year be based only on number of wins, rather than overall winning percentage.
I'm not sure everyone is doing it by winning percentage, but let me object to your characterization in this regard: Here at Arizona we missed 2 weeks as Coach Barnes was exposed by someone at a home game. It never said who, but we don't have spectators (at all), so it had to be staff or someone from Utah. It is also unclear if anyone on Arizona actually had Covid, but as things played out it seems unlikely - Coach Barnes had to quarantine for a week but ultimately never had it (she has since been vaccinated, apparently), we missed the 2nd game that weekend plus had to cancel the following weekend (2 games). Then, our first game the following weekend was cancelled by the other program due to "their" issues. So we missed 4 games, hard to see that there was any "not being careful".

I don't think they can just move everyone up 1 seed. If 11 seed moves up automatically, and the 12/13 game is played, what happens to the #14 seed? I think they may have to keep the opening day as 11/14 and 12/13. and then play Day 2 as normal - 12/5, 11/6, 10/7. 9/8 and give only 3 byes in the 2nd round. And now that I lay it out, I can't see how this will work either. Not sure but we will see.

I don't think they can just move everyone up 1 seed. If 11 seed moves up automatically, and the 12/13 game is played, what happens to the #14 seed? I think they may have to keep the opening day as 11/14 and 12/13. and then play Day 2 as normal - 12/5, 11/6, 10/7. 9/8 and give only 3 byes in the 2nd round. And now that I lay it out, I can't see how this will work either. Not sure but we will see.
With 13 teams, day 1 only one game, 12/13.
Then day 2 proceeds like before with 12 teams.

This gives me a headache. I just hope everyone stays healthy, and que sera, sera.

Kevin McGruff(sp) has always creeped me out.
He isn't my cup of tea, either. While I wouldn't expect any negative comments from her, our head coach out here, Adia Barnes, was hired as an assistant by him when he was at Washington, where she continued under Mike Neighbors. She did comment at one point that he was willing to bring Ohio State to play us (when we were not any good) and she turned him down because we were still under development.

We spoke with him briefly after a Washington / Arizona game and he was very polite and complimentary of CVS, as we mentioned our Rutgers connection (and his Notre Dame connection).

I'll be honest, at this point I just want the team to finish the season strong, play well in B10 tourney (no matter the seed), and that every team comes into and gets out of the tournament healthy.

We currently have the same winning percentage as Northwestern, tied for fourth place if we remove Ohio State from the standings . NW is 10-5 with games scheduled vs. @Illinois and Maryland: would expect them to end 11-6 (64.7%).

We have @MSU, @PSU, and Ohio State. If we win 2 of 3 we end up 8-4 (67.7%). If we win all end up 9-3 (75.0%).

Want Ohio State to beat Michigan today giving the Wolverines their 3rd loss. OSU won the first meeting 81-77. Mich also plays @Iowa and @Minn. Don't know what the conference will do if RU and Mich both end 9-3. No head to head. And Mich did not play Maryland.

Indiana also plays both OSU and Iowa (and @Wisc). 12-2 now. Very unlikely for Rutgers to catch them as they would need to lose all three while we win all three.

But third or fourth in the standings is very much in play.

Maryland 12-1 16-2
Indiana 12-2 14-4
Michigan 7-2 12-2
Ohio State 9-3 13-3
Northwestern 10-5 12-5
Rutgers 6-3 10-3
Iowa 8-6 12-6
Mich St 6-6 11-6
Nebr 8-8 10-9

ADVERTISEMENT