ADVERTISEMENT

Current Situation!

bori_blanco

All Conference
Gold Member
Jul 6, 2004
Ocean County
www.scarletknights.com
As we all know Ash walked into a (scandal) which setback the team drastically & affected the overall Roster.

Ash was Hired in December 2015 pretty much missing out in the entire 2016 Recruiting cycle or @ least 95% of it.

So technically 2017 was his 1st official recruiting class-cycle...

Agree yesterday suxed but let's allow the staff 2-3 Recruiting cycles before making an honest assessment..

2017 kids will hopefully Develop sooner rather than later & the 2018 class will certainly help in terms of talent/potential..

Ed.

I don't mind letting the process play out. But... Yesterday was UNSAT! It is never acceptable for a team to play well below its potential and that's what we saw yesterday.

Frankly, I'm wondering what's going on in the clubhouse that has this team so out of sorts.

Yesterday the team laid an egg, big time. Every unit and coach underperformed. That being said, the OP is 100% right. Ash has one recruiting class under his belt and the 2018 is looking good. Believe it or not, the team is progressing and we should all expect next year to be an improvement as well.

Reactions: bori_blanco
As we all know Ash walked into a (scandal) which setback the team drastically & affected the overall Roster.

Ash was Hired in December 2015 pretty much missing out in the entire 2016 Recruiting cycle or @ least 95% of it.

Agree yesterday suxed but let's allow the staff 2-3 Recruiting cycles before making an honest assessment..

2017 kids will hopefully Develop sooner rather than later & the 2018 class will certainly help in terms of talent/potential..

Ed.
His in game coaching is terrible and I don't think his assistant coaching hires have been very good, and there is no such thing as developing a QB with this staff...

Reactions: drewbagel423
Reminded me s lot of 2004 @Navy. We had slim bowl hopes only to go out and lay an egg. At least we scored in that game

One would think Rutgers would have this building process perfected by now. As a fan for more than half a century, it just seems to be an ongoing thing. At least I lived through the GS time when we were, briefly, relevant in Div. 1 football.
You just keep hearing the same things over and over. "If RU can just get the NJ stars to stay home" is at the top of the list.

One would think Rutgers would have this building process perfected by now. As a fan for more than half a century, it just seems to be an ongoing thing. At least I lived through the GS time when we were, briefly, relevant in Div. 1 football.
You just keep hearing the same things over and over. "If RU can just get the NJ stars to stay home" is at the top of the list.

Yep..1990, 1996, 2001, 2016. So much for once it's built it will last. We need our own Lou Lamoriello who said "the word rebuild isn't in my vocabulary"

Reactions: czxqa

Ed.

My mind's made up
.....don't bother me with the facts

I'm all for giving Ash a chance. I've seen some progress, especially on defense and with the OL run blocking. That said, he chose to stay with OSU for a month that he could have been recruiting. I know he said he could do all that from Columbus, but in reality could he have his mind 100% on RU while there? So I'm not inclined to give him a complete pass on the 2016 class. He lost some kids like Wright and Mack that he could have closed on.

His in game coaching is terrible and I don't think his assistant coaching hires have been very good, and there is no such thing as developing a QB with this staff...
This is the first year the team has an an opportunity develop a QB and we won't know the results of that for a year or two

Assistant coaches aren't good?

O line play hasn't improved

A very short handed defense hasn't improved

Special teams haven't improved

Man....people really do say some stupid s$$t on this board

Maybe the QBs are not developable? Not a knock on the QBs, but could be a possibility. Give Lewis next year before writing him off. Gio was brought in as a plan B/C by the previous staff, and Ash tried going with a plan A twice and failed, resorting back to plan B. Maybe there was a reason he did not win the job two years in a row and it is showing on the field. His mobility and running ability slightly overcomes his throwing deficiency. Bolin has no mobility or running ability, but he can sling the ball, unfortunately into the other teams' hands.

Would wait another year before writing off the coaching staff on QB development.

Reactions: letterman
I am not ready to run him out of town but what I will say is that a lot of the good will 3 B1G wins bought is evaporated.

I can deal with lopsided losses to good teams right now but not mediocre at best ones.

Next year with a soft schedule I expect a bowl.

This is the first year the team has an an opportunity develop a QB and we won't know the results of that for a year or two

There is improvement. On the other hand, we lose Harte as PK and Anderson as P so who knows what specials will look like next year. Our KO coverage unit should still be good, but who knows with the other units until we know if we have a P and K that can actually perform.

OL has improved, but we are losing Edwards, Martin, and Hicks. Can Blackshear and Pacheco step up?

I don't see one WR that has stepped up and become a viable target. That is concerning at this point.

Reactions: redking
I am not ready to run him out of town but what I will say is that a lot of the good will 3 B1G wins bought is evaporated.

I can deal with lopsided losses to good teams right now but not mediocre at best ones.

Next year with a soft schedule I expect a bowl.

With what qb? That's unrealistic.

There is improvement. On the other hand, we lose Harte as PK and Anderson as P so who knows what specials will look like next year. Our KO coverage unit should still be good, but who knows with the other units until we know if we have a P and K that can actually perform.

OL has improved, but we are losing Edwards, Martin, and Hicks. Can Blackshear and Pacheco step up?

I don't see one WR that has stepped up and become a viable target. That is concerning at this point.
Regarding WR’s

Best thing about Freshman....is that they become Sophomores

I don't mind letting the process play out. But... Yesterday was UNSAT! It is never acceptable for a team to play well below its potential and that's what we saw yesterday.

Frankly, I'm wondering what's going on in the clubhouse that has this team so out of sorts.
To illustrate this point.. just think of how many people who ave said we are making progress and we are happy with the progress shown (despite obvious flaws)... and now, after THAT game.. the feeling has changed so so much.

That is how bad a game that was. Seemingly reversed the positive gains made over the bulk of this season.

I hope the team just shakes off whatever THAT was and makes a strong effort vs Sparty. That will "save" the season and provide some hope for next season. They don't need a W.. just a big E for effort.

Reactions: bac2therac

The reminder that Anderson is a fifth year senior just ruined my day. He is this season’s MVP and the only reason ST looks good.

Reactions: Rokodesh
Hope I'm wrong but he can't throw the ball....maybe if attends qb camp with Peyton
Do we win any games this year without Edwards and Anderson?

Last edited:

Ok Smart guy, tell me which coaches are really good and why? what position group has really developed? Our best player on offense is a grad transfer who was good before he got here...im struggling to identify the really good players on defense that aren't injured...

Why is this the first year they can develop a QB? This is Gio's second year at the helm and we brought in an experienced grad transfer, Kill is calling plays doesn't appear he is developing anyone...

WRs and TEs aren't being coached to gain separation, OLine has had more guys benched, Applefield & Jackson and I don't see Cole becoming this high round draft pick we all had hoped for. Who is coaching up our DLine that Turay has only what two sacks this season?

Has our kickoff and punt return units made positive impacts on field position? Have we blocked many kicks?

Seriously since you are so smart, give me some examples of where our coaching has done a tremendous job?
Maybe the QBs are not developable? Not a knock on the QBs, but could be a possibility. Give Lewis next year before writing him off. Gio was brought in as a plan B/C by the previous staff, and Ash tried going with a plan A twice and failed, resorting back to plan B. Maybe there was a reason he did not win the job two years in a row and it is showing on the field. His mobility and running ability slightly overcomes his throwing deficiency. Bolin has no mobility or running ability, but he can sling the ball, unfortunately into the other teams' hands.

Would wait another year before writing off the coaching staff on QB development.
According to many of the smart guys on this board we were bringing on a grad transfer QB and a true freshman that both could be blue chip players not to mention an OC that was "worth at least two more wins last season", now many posters are already writing off Lewis for Sitkowski...when the staff has two years to identify and coach up talent and is STILL starting the guy that started fourth on their depth chart...that is a problem...

if Ash wants to survive he needs to upgrade the staff now. Too many midwest guys .start with WR coach,then special teams.A qb coach that doubles as an impact recruiter would help

Last edited:
I keep trying to remind myself that, when the season started, I thought four wins would be a good sign of progress. But it's not going to look like progress if we look against Michigan State as bad as we looked against Indiana. I hope Ash and his staff can do something to spark the team. Maybe it will help for next Saturday to be Senior Day.

Reactions: bori_blanco
Ok Smart guy, tell me which coaches are really good and why? what position group has really developed? Our best player on offense is a grad transfer who was good before he got here...im struggling to identify the really good players on defense that aren't injured...

Why is this the first year they can develop a QB? This is Gio's second year at the helm and we brought in an experienced grad transfer, Kill is calling plays doesn't appear he is developing anyone...

WRs and TEs aren't being coached to gain separation, OLine has had more guys benched, Applefield & Jackson and I don't see Cole becoming this high round draft pick we all had hoped for. Who is coaching up our DLine that Turay has only what two sacks this season?

Has our kickoff and punt return units made positive impacts on field position? Have we blocked many kicks?

Seriously since you are so smart, give me some examples of where our coaching has done a tremendous job?

According to many of the smart guys on this board we were bringing on a grad transfer QB and a true freshman that both could be blue chip players not to mention an OC that was "worth at least two more wins last season", now many posters are already writing off Lewis for Sitkowski...when the staff has two years to identify and coach up talent and is STILL starting the guy that started fourth on their depth chart...that is a problem...
Didn’t I just name 3 positions?

Did you not notice how well our coverage units have played?

Grant being hurt severely hampered our returns
Oh yea....Jackson wasn’t benched....he was hurt

And how do you know how our TE and WR are coached? You at practice every day?

Any other pearls of wisdom you would like to add?

I hate to bust bubbles...but KU will probably be favored against RU next year...

I said almost the exact same line to my brother while watching this game. There must be something going on in that locker room. Not saying the team plays very emotionally charged but yesterday they looked flatter than they did against EMU.

Senior leadership has been lacking for many years. Someone eventually has to step up and take the reigns. I am not talking about a rah rah guy (although emotion would be nice). I am talking about someone that shows it on the field day in day out and every play they are out there. There have been flashes by some but there hasn't been consistency in many years.

Reactions: ssstevem
I said almost the exact same line to my brother while watching this game. There must be something going on in that locker room. Not saying the team plays very emotionally charged but yesterday they looked flatter than they did against EMU.

Senior leadership has been lacking for many years. Someone eventually has to step up and take the reigns. I am not talking about a rah rah guy (although emotion would be nice). I am talking about someone that shows it on the field day in day out and every play they are out there. There have been flashes by some but there hasn't been consistency in many years.

That's an interesting thought. Is there a senior who can lead by example? I don't know the roster perfectly, but I can't think of one now that Janarion is hurt. (I hope he's a conscientious student because I think it's very unlikely he'll ever play on Sundays, notwithstanding his great ability.) I don't think a grad transfer can be the leader because a grad transfer is an outsider and hasn't matured beside his teammates.

I keep trying to remind myself that, when the season started, I thought four wins would be a good sign of progress. But it's not going to look like progress if we look against Michigan State as bad as we looked against Indiana. I hope Ash and his staff can do something to spark the team. Maybe it will help for next Saturday to be Senior Day.

In a way I think that RU may be a decent home dog on Senior Day vs Michigan State next week.

Did anyone watch the MSU Senior Day at home vs MD yesterday ? A very uninspiring 17-7 win where Sparty looked like they mailed it in. Not sure they will see us as a threat on Saturday at RU.

But we need a much better effort than we watched RU give yesterday. Revolting.

Do not write off Lewis. Now this is an extreme example but L. Jackson took over for Bolin as a Freshman. Was pretty unremarkable. Next year, he came in and won the Heisman. I'm not saying that's going to happen but if Lewis can improve his accuracy, I think he can be a good QB.

I could not agree with you more. Having followed Rutgers football since 1961 I feel the same way.

Reactions: letterman
Yesterday the team laid an egg, big time. Every unit and coach underperformed. That being said, the OP is 100% right. Ash has one recruiting class under his belt and the 2018 is looking good. Believe it or not, the team is progressing and we should all expect next year to be an improvement as well.
How much of an improvement is anybody's guess. Incremental or a giant leap? I'll be satisfied with incremental, but a giant leap would sure help this long suffering fan's mental state.

Good to see you on this board. I've been trying to get Fire and Abro over here more often, without success.

You seem angry.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT