ADVERTISEMENT

Current Situation!

I don't mind letting the process play out. But... Yesterday was UNSAT! It is never acceptable for a team to play well below its potential and that's what we saw yesterday.

Frankly, I'm wondering what's going on in the clubhouse that has this team so out of sorts.
I seriously doubt that the travails of the women's swim team has much influence on the mental attitude of the football program, but we did just come off a week that saw a minor "scandal" working its way through the Athletic Department -- one being clucked about by the same guy who thinks it's his prerogative to declare in the newspaper who "must" be our starting quarterback next week -- so I wonder if that tempest had any impact on the fellas.

I seriously doubt that the travails of the women's swim team has much influence on the mental attitude of the football program, but we did just come off a week that saw a minor "scandal" working its way through the Athletic Department -- one being clucked about by the same guy who thinks it's his prerogative to declare in the newspaper who "must" be our starting quarterback next week -- so I wonder if that tempest had any impact on the fellas.

That's a pretty small ripple. If it actually had an impact it would make me wonder, for the umpty-ninth time, about the quality of communications management in the athletic department.

Reactions: PSU_Nut
Didn’t I just name 3 positions?

Did you not notice how well our coverage units have played?

Grant being hurt severely hampered our returns
Oh yea....Jackson wasn’t benched....he was hurt

And how do you know how our TE and WR are coached? You at practice every day?

Any other pearls of wisdom you would like to add?
I see you subscribe to the RutgersAl school of making statements without any facts to support them...great you named three position groups...yet you didn't explain what those groups have done that is better than prior years...

If Grant is so hurt, why is he out there for every kickoff and punt return as well as splitting out wide? Why haven't we found another playmaker to field kicks like Harris or Blacksheer or Melton or Hester?

Jackson was indeed benched for Maetti and has since been moved to guard...

I know our TEs and WRs are NOT coached well based on their production of NOT being able to get open or run precise routes where even a quick out or slant can move the ball through the air...didn't we bring in speed? Well why aren't we showing it off with quick hits to the speedy receivers?

You seem angry.
I just don't like being called out by posters that make statements without any factual support or at least some examples of why my statement is incorrect...it's Scarlet colored glasses syndrome where a poster doesn't like to hear anything negative but cannot politely rebuff with factual statements

I just don't like being called out by posters that make statements without any factual support or at least some examples of why my statement is incorrect...it's Scarlet colored glasses syndrome where a poster doesn't like to hear anything negative but cannot politely rebuff with factual statements
Fair enough. Assume you are the the AD or Chris Ash. Which coaches do you want replaced? Me:
DC- Nope. Defense has been fairly solid
OC- No. Not yet. Need some consistency
OL- No way. He is a good recruiter
DL- Nope.
RB- Absolutely not. Very big upgrade from last one.
DBs- Absolutely not. Our patchwork secondary performed well this year.
CBs- Nope. Same as DBs
STs- Think there was a marked improvement this year. More is needed, but would not make a change.
WRs- this is a tough one. Working with all freshman. Would have liked to have seen more progress as year went on. But would not change after one year.

What are your thoughts?

Reactions: PaRU102
Fair enough. Assume you are the the AD or Chris Ash. Which coaches do you want replaced? Me:
DC- Nope. Defense has been fairly solid
OC- No. Not yet. Need some consistency
OL- No way. He is a good recruiter
DL- Nope.
RB- Absolutely not. Very big upgrade from last one.
DBs- Absolutely not. Our patchwork secondary performed well this year.
CBs- Nope. Same as DBs
STs- Think there was a marked improvement this year. More is needed, but would not make a change.
WRs- this is a tough one. Working with all freshman. Would have liked to have seen more progress as year went on. But would not change after one year.

What are your thoughts?
Thank you for the more appropriate rebuttal...

There are valid reason to not replace the assistant coaches (except the WR coach IMO) and one of the bigger reasons is, would we be able to replace any assistants with better quality coaching and recruiting when we have a coach that now doesn't appear to be getting an extension...would you take a chance and leave a good situation where you are successful for a job with a coach that may not still be here in two years?

With that said, i continue to think (from the very beginning) that Kill was the wrong choice for OC and we will continue to pay for it...he hasn't been an OC in a long time and he doesn't run the offensive scheme Ash initially came in to run and has recruited the speedy athletic players for...we don't have the type of players to play a power run offense with a QB/WR tandem that can make the short passes consistently enough to keep the linebackers and secondary from crowding the line, he also isn't much of a recruiter from what I've read.

Burnham has disappointed me, specifically because i don't see growth in the overall potential of Turay who has disapponted this season...by the way I noticed you just said "nope" without a reason? I'll give you a reason.

We are 114th in sacks when most teams are passing on our defense (only oregon state has fewer of the Power 5) and tied for last of all FBS in fumbles forced which is mostly a DL stat IMO

Okruch gots to go...ryan andersons punting has masked the deficiencies of punt coverage and we haven't developed a single play maker to field punts and kickoffs to flip field position instead we send Grant out there time and again who is clearly hobbled (or a true freshman to call fair catches or fumble?) it's not all on the returner tho, watch carefully and even when we aren't in punt block the opposing team almost always has two gunners running free down field...he also coaches TEs and if we cannot throw down field we should at least be able to get the ball to Washington on short to medium passes with his height and strength...i put that on his coaching of not getting more out of an experienced player.

Finally i would disagree about Blazek being some great recruiter, outside of Micah who was coming regardless what has he shown? Kris Banks still won't pull the trigger, Chris Bleich who is nearly a legacy has committed and now decommitted from two schools and we still can't get a sniff...two of the three OL we have committed have no other Power 5 offers that I can tell...

I see you subscribe to the RutgersAl school of making statements without any facts to support them...great you named three position groups...yet you didn't explain what those groups have done that is better than prior years...

If Grant is so hurt, why is he out there for every kickoff and punt return as well as splitting out wide? Why haven't we found another playmaker to field kicks like Harris or Blacksheer or Melton or Hester?

Jackson was indeed benched for Maetti and has since been moved to guard...

I know our TEs and WRs are NOT coached well based on their production of NOT being able to get open or run precise routes where even a quick out or slant can move the ball through the air...didn't we bring in speed? Well why aren't we showing it off with quick hits to the speedy receivers?
Jackson wasn't hurt? Oh my god.......you are just 100% wrong?

How many games did Grant miss this year and the games he played...now many was he able to finish?

And seriously....if I have to explain to you that the o line has not improved

Or...a very short handed defense improved....or our kick coverage improved.....

Last edited:
Thank you for the more appropriate rebuttal...

There are valid reason to not replace the assistant coaches (except the WR coach IMO) and one of the bigger reasons is, would we be able to replace any assistants with better quality coaching and recruiting when we have a coach that now doesn't appear to be getting an extension...would you take a chance and leave a good situation where you are successful for a job with a coach that may not still be here in two years?

With that said, i continue to think (from the very beginning) that Kill was the wrong choice for OC and we will continue to pay for it...he hasn't been an OC in a long time and he doesn't run the offensive scheme Ash initially came in to run and has recruited the speedy athletic players for...we don't have the type of players to play a power run offense with a QB/WR tandem that can make the short passes consistently enough to keep the linebackers and secondary from crowding the line, he also isn't much of a recruiter from what I've read.

Burnham has disappointed me, specifically because i don't see growth in the overall potential of Turay who has disapponted this season...by the way I noticed you just said "nope" without a reason? I'll give you a reason.

We are 114th in sacks when most teams are passing on our defense (only oregon state has fewer of the Power 5) and tied for last of all FBS in fumbles forced which is mostly a DL stat IMO

Okruch gots to go...ryan andersons punting has masked the deficiencies of punt coverage and we haven't developed a single play maker to field punts and kickoffs to flip field position instead we send Grant out there time and again who is clearly hobbled (or a true freshman to call fair catches or fumble?) it's not all on the returner tho, watch carefully and even when we aren't in punt block the opposing team almost always has two gunners running free down field...he also coaches TEs and if we cannot throw down field we should at least be able to get the ball to Washington on short to medium passes with his height and strength...i put that on his coaching of not getting more out of an experienced player.

Finally i would disagree about Blazek being some great recruiter, outside of Micah who was coming regardless what has he shown? Kris Banks still won't pull the trigger, Chris Bleich who is nearly a legacy has committed and now decommitted from two schools and we still can't get a sniff...two of the three OL we have committed have no other Power 5 offers that I can tell...
Reasonable minds can disagree. I see the points on Okruch, and had not thought that much about the DL coach. Hasn't Turay been pulled into pass coverage quite a bit, taking away from his ability to sack the QB? Back to Okruch, he has been around the game a long time, and coached for quite a few years under Barnett. If nothing else, he and Kill provide a P5 experience that is otherwise lacking on this staff.

It's been talked about here that the addition of another position coach for 2018 gives us a good opportunity to hire a strong offensive coach who can also develop QBs, something that has been lacking at Rutgers for a very, very long time. I hope that Ash does not hire another defensive coach, where I think RU is in pretty good shape, and focuses on getting someone who can work on our offensive woes.

Ok can we stop with "we have improved" as the only argument to keep Ash? You do realize that we were one of the worst teams in the history of college football last year right? Like we literally broke records last year we were so bad? Yes we have improved but we are still way behind where we should be in year 2. You guys have lowered the bar so much its really sad.

Reactions: JCKnight
We are all fans so we look for signs of improvement and overlook flaws. Some get so excited they prematurely talk of bowl games and contract extensions. Truth sets in and we realize the improvement vs. last year is minimal at best. Fans get frustrated and bitch at each other and make crazy excuses for the coaches. (it's actually the first time in weeks that we have seen the stupid argument that Ash has only really had one year of recruiting --- But Maryland 2 I guess).

Welcome to Scarletnation.

We'd be making bowl travel plans by now if we had 3 FBS-quality WRs on the roster. We don't have any playmakers at WR, not even JG#1. I don't want to hear about how fast Melton and JG are. Means nothing if they can't get open and/or catch in traffic.

And being inexperienced doesn't matter nearly as much that that position as it does anywhere else on O orD.

Jackson wasn't hurt? Oh my god.......you are just 100% wrong?

How many games did Grant miss this year and the games he played...now many was he able to finish?

And seriously....if I have to explain to you that the o line has not improved

Or...a very short handed defense improved....or our kick coverage improved.....
I would hardly say that our OLine, DLine or Special teams (outside of bringing in a couple of grad transfers) have improved so much as to conclude that our current assistant coaches are up to the level of B1G coaching to not be getting blown out by the Indianas of the world...

Reactions: RU85inFla
The problem is everyone is comparing this to last year. last year we underperformed as Well!!! Indiana was just a microcosism of what is happening here.

Kind of like you making statements without facts. As stated Jackson was hurt when Maietta took over. Special team coverage has improved, kicking has improved. If you can’t see the incremental improvements for the entire team you have not been paying attention. Indiana hung tough with OSU n Michigan. We should have played much better but to imply they weren’t any good is not true. Grant has probably missed - in playing time - close to 5 games. How can you say he is out there ALL the time. Practice what you preach show some facts to back your statements up. No one is saying we should be 8 n 4. Many posters in the beginning of the year said if we can get 4 or 5 wins not get blown out by all the big boys, stay somewhat competitive against the Michigan’s n OSU, win the games we have a chance to win - then it would be a successful season. I think we accomplished the majority of those goals

JCKnight I noticed you didn’t post anything on the thread OTB article I suggest you read it and then come back and give your thoughts on the team after reading someone’s full assessment of the team this year and it’s impact for next year. By the way kick off coverage has gone from dead last to first in the conference this year FACT

My only disappointment this year was the loss to EMU. If we where sitting with 5 wins today, including 3 BIG10 wins everyone would be happy. There is marked improvement in the team in almost all areas. This was all done without bringing in a highly regarded recruiting class. If we can get the recruiting going this team has a chance to be special

I expect that Ash will continue bringing in transfers, and well he should. This team is thin with upper classman depth and that may continue for a few more seasons. Any decent WR with P5 experience could start for us next year if a 5th year senior.

Kind of like you making statements without facts. As stated Jackson was hurt when Maietta took over. Special team coverage has improved, kicking has improved. If you can’t see the incremental improvements for the entire team you have not been paying attention. Indiana hung tough with OSU n Michigan. We should have played much better but to imply they weren’t any good is not true. Grant has probably missed - in playing time - close to 5 games. How can you say he is out there ALL the time. Practice what you preach show some facts to back your statements up. No one is saying we should be 8 n 4. Many posters in the beginning of the year said if we can get 4 or 5 wins not get blown out by all the big boys, stay somewhat competitive against the Michigan’s n OSU, win the games we have a chance to win - then it would be a successful season. I think we accomplished the majority of those goals
Then when Jackson was back to healthy why didn't he take the starting Center role Back? It's not like Maetti is a stud Center...truth is Jackson wasn't playing very well IMO...

I'm still waiting for some stats to back up assertions that our punt and kickoff return games have improved...we clearly haven't identified any game changers to return kicks...

It's hard to justify improvement when you are making excuses for getting smashed by INDIANA, saying they "hung tough" with better schools, Ohio state wasn't playing well first game of the year and still won by 21, if they played now OSU would win by 50...Michigan is just an average team this season...

Btw I gave factual rankings of our defensive line lack of sacks to show why I think our DLine hasn't improved enough...

We are all fans so we look for signs of improvement and overlook flaws. Some get so excited they prematurely talk of bowl games and contract extensions. Truth sets in and we realize the improvement vs. last year is minimal at best. Fans get frustrated and bitch at each other and make crazy excuses for the coaches. (it's actually the first time in weeks that we have seen the stupid argument that Ash has only really had one year of recruiting --- But Maryland 2 I guess).

Welcome to Scarletnation.

Yeah, Maryland had 2 because Durkin was working and had 2 great Recruiting classes.
Ash signed in early December but since he choose to coach OSU in a meaningless Bowl game and not recruit his total only counts as one. ummmmmm

if Ash wants to survive he needs to upgrade the staff now. Too many midwest guys .start with WR coach,then special teams.A qb coach that doubles as an impact recruiter would help

"Too many midwest guys" on our staff is the problem? Really? Wow, I had no idea that football played in the midwest was so poor.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT