ADVERTISEMENT

Current State of RU Football and Who is to Blame

Hey, no hard feelings, it was right after the OSU game, so I understand why you may have blocked new followers then since people were gonna troll you. It would be cool if you unblocked me (@mikeconvente), but it's your account so do as you wish. Cheers.
Yeah haha, youre unblocked

Reactions: mconvente
Just to play devils advocate here...is it possible you are blinded by your fandom where you think that Rutgers has an athletics problem?

Rutgers seems to be doing just fine with its academic standing, in-state kids are still willing to shell out the same tuition that they could pay going out of state since Rutgers doesn’t really give an in-state tuition break comparatively speaking, also I believe there is a huge international student population that couldn’t care less about the sports program.

Do you think schools like Colgate, Lehigh, Bucknell, Cornell, Princeton, NYU, feel that having a better sports program will boost their university standing? I bring up these schools even tho there is Ivy League and some smaller schools because they are prestigious academic universities that don’t really rely on athletic success.

Barchi seems to be running a very successful academic institution as a Rutgers has always been without athletics success, outside of the college football FAN world, do you think many people care if Rutgers football sucks? If anything Barchi has seen the resource drain the football program has been, and sees it now as nothing more than a money train that will boost revenues no matter how little investment is made.

I’m just saying there is another side to this argument that the non-athletic fan that supports Rutgers from an academic standpoint doesn’t care if the football team is any good...judging by student turn out at most athletic events I would say 80% of students don’t care...
I know you’re just playing Devil’s advocate. But when you point out academically-respected colleges that don’t emphasize athletics, why do you only list a handful of smaller (comparitively) private schools? There’s still a vocal contingent at RU who think the college is small and private; it is neither and its mission has changed over 4 decades ago. There isn’t a single flagship state university located in a populous state that doesn’t play D1 ball. And if you play D1 ball, you have to care at least significantly about sports. The last school I can think of would be UMass. SUNY doesn’t count because there really is no flagship campus and...SUNY Buffalo is giddy with anticipation at scoring 50+ points on us.

Kid 4 doors down the street from me got accepted to RU and stil decided to go to UCF. LOL. Probably costs twice as much for an out of stater to go to Florida State school than an in state to go to RU .

^^^ times 1000 ^^^
after 40 years a season ticket holder i'm throwing in the towel with this program. hobbs gave this guy an extention, was he drunk? the only way to salvage this debacle is to hire schiano. can you imagine ash for another 5 years?

Reactions: scripts
I know you’re just playing Devil’s advocate. But when you point out academically-respected colleges that don’t emphasize athletics, why do you only list a handful of smaller (comparitively) private schools? There’s still a vocal contingent at RU who think the college is small and private; it is neither and its mission has changed over 4 decades ago. There isn’t a single flagship state university located in a populous state that doesn’t play D1 ball. And if you play D1 ball, you have to care at least significantly about sports. The last school I can think of would be UMass. SUNY doesn’t count because there really is no flagship campus and...SUNY Buffalo is giddy with anticipation at scoring 50+ points on us.
The point of my post is...if you took a poll of the students as to why they choose Rutgers I highly doubt a majority of them would list athletics as the reason they chose to go to Rutgers...I also highly doubt that attendance and applications are hurting because the football team isn’t any good...sure for some kids attending sporting events is important as to their college experience but it just seems to me football is an afterthought to most Rutgers students...

I really do not think the university leadership sees a good football program as a catalyst to academic standing and success amongst its peers

Reactions: LC-88 and bdodger3
The point of my post is...if you took a poll of the students as to why they choose Rutgers I highly doubt a majority of them would list athletics as the reason they chose to go to Rutgers...I also highly doubt that attendance and applications are hurting because the football team isn’t any good...sure for some kids attending sporting events is important as to their college experience but it just seems to me football is an afterthought to most Rutgers students...

I really do not think the university leadership sees a good football program as a catalyst to academic standing and success amongst its peers
Why the he'll would they? We pretty much suck at most sports. And have for most years.

Success in sports is a huge factor in college choice to many.

I was at a RU hoops game during my college tour. Rutgers upset Miami and I said to my parents, This is where I’m going.
I’d say to most if not all on this board, college athletics was a big factor in their decision...but this board is not a relevant sample population of the average Rutgers student, if it was both the football and basketball games would be much better attended no matter how bad the teams were...

If you all take a step back and think about the average Rutgers student, you have to seriously question what percentage of the student body really cares if the football team is any good...

Colgate, Princeton, etc are not in the Big 10. We are and should start acting like it. The kids blog is right on the money.
The 80 % that “don’t care” will be camping out for tickets the second we become relevant.
Like in 2006.

Why the he'll would they? We pretty much suck at most sports. And have for most years.
Exactly...and has the university suffered with a declining student population? Is the university struggling to fill out its classes with qualified students?

Reactions: RUnTeX
Generally don't disagree with the devil's advocate position taken in your overall post, but couple things caught my eye in the above.

1. There's a sizable in-state tuition advantage vs. out-of-state as there always has been. About double at $29K OOS versus $14K in-state. I'd say the $15K difference is a decent break and the spread between, either by % or $, is not dissimilar from other public/state schools in NJ and out.

2. The international student population isn't really huge. Common misconception. It's about 7-8% of 35,000 undergrads. As an example, U of Michigan at Ann Arbor is in the same percentage range of international students, along with several other flagship public universities. I'd assume there's enough apathy for athletics from amongst just the domestic student body of 32,000 at Rutgers-NB without factoring in the international students.
Do your percentages include the large number of non international Asian/Indian students that more so than not do not care about Rutgers football? Two of my best high school friends, both Indian, went to Rutgers and never went to a football game and neither did any of their circle of friends...and there were a ton of them...

Are there really NJ kids today excited to attend Alabama?

Football is cool, but it's still Alabama.
That's probably why so many NJ kids go to State Penn. Philly to the east. Pittsburg to the west. Alabama in the middle.

Last edited:
Man, this was a good article.

I watched the game at a watch party so I couldn’t really see the bench and the players and how Ash was acting but that information about his behavior during the game is alarming.

I’m just concerned about firing him at the end of the year and trusting us to be able to get someone good with the current financial situation and the current perception of the program.

Kid 4 doors down the street from me got accepted to RU and stil decided to go to UCF. LOL. Probably costs twice as much for an out of stater to go to Florida State school than an in state to go to RU .

That is totally nuts. The only way I could see that being reasonable is if UCF has a better program for their major, and job placement out of school.

UCF has a rep going with its huge classes, and developing a network for their students. Wonder where it will be in 50 yrs?

Do your percentages include the large number of non international Asian/Indian students that more so than not do not care about Rutgers football?

No, why would the percentage include them? You mentioned "international" students, not domestic students of varying Asian (or other) ethnicities. International students, whether they're from Europe, Asia, South America, or wherever, are fairly insignificant as the percentage suggests.

The number and percentage of domestic Asian-American (South Asian, East Asian, and Southeast Asian ancestry) students has climbed over the years, no doubt. Your example is anecdotal so it seems you've arrived at a conclusion that confirms your limited observations. My equally anecdotal experience is that many of those students more often than not actually did care about and followed Rutgers sports.

Perhaps we can agree that there are many of them who attend football and hoops games while acknowledging that there are likely many more of them who do not. But the kicker is that the exact same thing can be said of the white student majority.

So I agree with what you've posted elsewhere in this thread to the extent that the average Rutgers student (representative of all backgrounds) is generally apathetic towards the athletics programs.

Last edited:
Exactly...and has the university suffered with a declining student population? Is the university struggling to fill out its classes with qualified students?
God I hope this isn't the logic you use in work. I get you have a point of view but it's troubling that it's so narrow minded and you stick to it without any actual knowledge or research on the subject.

applications are actually down since their peak during Greg's run and the incoming gpa/sat are lower than the height of applications under Greg when the school was a media darling and football was the driver to better perception across the tri-state area and nationally.

see my earlier post on the subject. Football lifts all boats

Last edited:
No, why would the percentage include them? You mentioned "international" students, not domestic students of varying Asian (or other) ethnicities. International students, whether they're from Europe, Asia, South America, or wherever, are fairly insignificant as the percentage suggests.

The number and percentage of domestic Asian-American (South Asian, East Asian, and Southeast Asian ancestry) students has climbed over the years, no doubt. Your example is anecdotal so it seems you've arrived at a conclusion that confirms your limited observations. My equally anecdotal experience is that many of those students more often than not actually did care about and followed Rutgers sports.

Perhaps we can agree that there are many of them who attend football and hoops games while acknowledging that there are likely many more of them who do not. But the kicker is that the exact same thing can be said of the white student majority.

So I agree with what you've posted elsewhere in this thread to the extent that the average Rutgers student (representative of all backgrounds) is generally apathetic towards the athletics programs.
correct, international students have varying reasons for applying, more about visa, program, and other qualifying factors than sports.

Kyle,

I certainly appreciate your love for the Rutgers program.

I feel you’re missing the mark by heeping so much praise on Pat Hobbs and leaving him blameless. Here’s why; Bob Mulcahy is the man solely responsible for hiring Greg Schiano, spending the money and making the necessary changes to bring the Rutgers Football Program and Athletic Department out of the dark ages. Mr. Mulcahy was not perfect, but by and large he lead the department into a new era and through some pretty good times.

Pat Hobbs should not be given a pass for rushing to hire a coach in 5 days. The hiring of a head football coach is an enormously important issue. Finding the right person for the job can take time and no matter what your faced with and you need to take the time to get it right. Even if that means inserting an interim coach to hold together a recruiting class. Naming an interim coach tells your recruits that you want to find the right guy to lead the team. You are likely to lose a few players. What you won’t do by naming an interim coach however, is rush the most important decision you’ll ever make for your football program. If you rush you risk getting yourself into a contract with someone who doesn’t make the grade and mortgaging the future of the program.

Pat Hobbs’ political allies said he was an exemplary business person when he was sent to Rutgers. Based on his rush to get Chris Ash hired I would dispute his business prowess. We have confirmation of his poor business decision making in his extension of Ash’s contract. There was no reason to do that, and if someone was trying to tell him there was, he should have fought it.

Pat Hobbs could have taken 60 days, and he still would have come up with the same result. Hiring a football coach is different from hiring a basketball coach. He didn’t realize how important local ties and FL ties were to our recruiting for football. Instead, he hired someone who tried to turn Rutgers into Ohio State East, and tried to make Ohio an important part of our recruiting. That didn’t work, which why our recruiting is bad. Then he gave him a small budget which didn’t allow for the hiring of veteran assistants. That first staff was a disaster. The current staff should be better. We’ll see where we’re at soon.

Reactions: Big East Beast
no, absolutely not. BUT that doesn't mean the number of applications wouldn't be even higher. Your point about the diversity at RU (New Brunswick like top 10-15 in the country. Clearly #1 of major Universities and Newark #3 overall) IS a significant factor with game attendance. You can walk around campus game day and see who is going to the game and who is going to the library. Without a doubt.

Reactions: JCKnight
Why does it seem like you schedule bad teams and when it’s time to play them, they are better. Your about to play Syracuse, Temple, and BC right?

Your point about the diversity at RU (New Brunswick like top 10-15 in the country. Clearly #1 of major Universities and Newark #3 overall) IS a significant factor with game attendance.

Not sure where you're getting your info but it appears to be a bit off. And what do you mean by "Clearly #1 of major universities..."?

Per USNWR, under the national universities category (the same as used for their primary overall rankings) Rutgers-Newark has been #1, or tied for it, in undergrad student body diversity since the late 90s, about 20 years running.

> In the most recent ranking based on fall 2017, Newark was once again at #1, in a tie with UNLV.

> Stanford, Houston, and one other tied at #4.

> UCLA tied at #10, with NJIT and five others.

> NYU tied at #25 with three others.

> Rutgers-NB is tied for #29, with USC, UC-Berkeley, Harvard, and three others.

> UT-Austin tied at #36 with eight others.

> Princeton, Yale, Cornell, and five others tied at #44.

There are lots of ties/groupings due to index scoring methodology, but above is just a sampling of the top 50+ schools comprising the 10 highest diversity index scores according to USNWR. Yes, all of these schools have significant ethnic diversity, but that's not a bad thing. Many of them are highly regarded, nationally prominent schools, including Rutgers-NB. Several have D1 athletics while a few are P5 schools.

Link: https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities/campus-ethnic-diversity

Not sure where you're getting your info but it appears to be a bit off. And what do you mean by "Clearly #1 of major universities..."?

Per USNWR, under the national universities category (the same as used for their primary overall rankings) Rutgers-Newark has been #1, or tied for it, in undergrad student body diversity since the late 90s, about 20 years running.

> In the most recent ranking based on fall 2017, Newark was once again at #1, in a tie with UNLV.

> Stanford, Houston, and one other tied at #4.

> UCLA tied at #10, with NJIT and five others.

> NYU tied at #25 with three others.

> Rutgers-NB is tied for #29, with USC, UC-Berkeley, Harvard, and three others.

> UT-Austin tied at #36 with eight others.

> Princeton, Yale, Cornell, and five others tied at #44.

There are lots of ties/groupings due to index scoring methodology, but above is just a sampling of the top 50+ schools comprising the 10 highest diversity index scores according to USNWR. Yes, all of these schools have significant ethnic diversity, but that's not a bad thing. Many of them are highly regarded, nationally prominent schools, including Rutgers-NB. Several have D1 athletics while a few are P5 schools.

Link: https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities/campus-ethnic-diversity

you're right, I am a bit off. I took it from memory. I meant D1 FOOTBALL schools as we were discussing that subject. We're not #1, but tied for like #5 amoung that pool. To your point not sure if there is much different @ .69 vs. .74 (unless somebody wants to say that 7% more or less diversified). Nor do I think it is a bad thing either (I care far more about the politics/profs than pool of students).

In a large school scenario (say enrollment of 20K undergrads or greater), I don't believe it makes much difference in terms of filling a 10-15K student section.

Based on my above post, is too much diversity a significant factor in student attendance for the Longhorn games in Austin? I've been in the stands for countless Rutgers games and quite a few Texas games. What I've seen is that both have somewhat diverse crowds, including the respective student sections. But due to lack of sustained success, general student apathy at Rutgers occurs across the whole student body, and perhaps even moreso the relative majority white students.

Reactions: ATIOH
not sure if there is much different @ .69 vs. .74

There probably isn't that much difference. It's like for the regular USNWR academic rankings, where in most years there's not that much difference in the scoring between say a school in the top 40 versus one in the top 60, including the multiple ties within that range.

In a large school scenario (say enrollment of 20K undergrads or greater), I don't believe it makes much difference in terms of filling a 10-15K student section.

Based on my above post, is too much diversity a significant factor in student attendance for the Longhorn games in Austin? I've been in the stands for countless Rutgers games and quite a few Texas games. What I've seen is that both have somewhat diverse crowds, including the respective student sections. But due to lack of sustained success, general student apathy at Rutgers occurs across the whole student body, and perhaps even moreso the relative majority white students.

well at 35k undergrads at NB....and not even being able to put 1K in the seats at the RAC most games you may have a point..

Reactions: RUnTeX

Athletics and the football team was a pretty significant reason I chose Rutgers but that was in 2008 when football was in it's prime. Everything about the games was awesome from the tailgating to the game atmosphere to the WINNING.

Since then, student tailgating has been destroyed, the team is God awful and gameday atmosphere has suffered greatly.

Reactions: RUskoolie and SF88
good points.. I have a question for everyone. Lets say CA by the grace of god pulls out 6 wins and wins the bowl game. Will we still want him gone? I get why the "chop" is missed but to complain about it is a bit childish. It's not like it was a 50yr old tradition. That was Greg's creation. Will we complain when the next coach says F that chop crap and brings his own montra? Lastly how were the early Schiano years before 2006 were people also calling the AD and asking for him to be gone?

If he wins 6 games he may be the conference coach of the year.

Reactions: NBknight8
After listening to 920am The Jersey out of Trenton the whole Chris Ash hire was the work of Jordan Bazant the agent of Ash and coincendently Mens baskeball Coach Steve Pikiell and the he and Hobbs have a connection as well.

Kyle,

I certainly appreciate your love for the Rutgers program.

I feel you’re missing the mark by heeping so much praise on Pat Hobbs and leaving him blameless. Here’s why; Bob Mulcahy is the man solely responsible for hiring Greg Schiano, spending the money and making the necessary changes to bring the Rutgers Football Program and Athletic Department out of the dark ages. Mr. Mulcahy was not perfect, but by and large he lead the department into a new era and through some pretty good times.

Pat Hobbs should not be given a pass for rushing to hire a coach in 5 days. The hiring of a head football coach is an enormously important issue. Finding the right person for the job can take time and no matter what your faced with and you need to take the time to get it right. Even if that means inserting an interim coach to hold together a recruiting class. Naming an interim coach tells your recruits that you want to find the right guy to lead the team. You are likely to lose a few players. What you won’t do by naming an interim coach however, is rush the most important decision you’ll ever make for your football program. If you rush you risk getting yourself into a contract with someone who doesn’t make the grade and mortgaging the future of the program.

Pat Hobbs’ political allies said he was an exemplary business person when he was sent to Rutgers. Based on his rush to get Chris Ash hired I would dispute his business prowess. We have confirmation of his poor business decision making in his extension of Ash’s contract. There was no reason to do that, and if someone was trying to tell him there was, he should have fought it.
He was way overspent at Seton Hall. Was called “Teflon Man” by some of the staff.

The question is not who is to blame but WHAT is to blame.
The answer is not with the current cast of characters or even the myriad of coaches and administrators who proceeded them. The answer lies in geography and the lack of athletic tradition.

Rutgers is situated in the shadows of a city that is pro sports oriented.and despite being the birthplace of college football, it lacks a winning tradition which makes it near impossible to assemble a critical mass of top tier players to be competitive. Rutgers might get an occasional local four star player but that's not enough to compete with programs steeped in tradition and forged with decades of consistent winning. Accordingly, RU is viewed as just a stopping off point for coaches looking to eventually move on to bigger and better jobs. It took Schiano almost a decade to field a winning program and had it not been for one special player (Ray Rice) no one would know who Greg Schiano is today. Greg was lucky and he still never won a conference title outright in a watered down Big East.

No coach today is going to get 6 or 7 years let alone 10 to turn a program around which makes Ash's job near impossible. Sure he may get it to a point where he wins 7 and maybe even 8 games but IMO, that's the ceiling for him in the Big Ten.

So I ask, is that going to satisfy the AD and more importantly the donner's?
Perhaps the former but I doubt the latter.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hardslider21
ADVERTISEMENT