ADVERTISEMENT

CVS Successor Candidates Discussion (pin this thread?)

RC66

Senior
Jun 9, 2009
I believe that 2020-2021 is CVS's last year on her current contract (and her 50th year as a coach). I can't imagine RU will make a change before that year end.

Still, it is not too early to start looking at the candidates.

(Personally, I so wanted Banghart as our next coach, but we let that ship sail. Similarly, a few years ago, I had it on good authority that Barnes-Arico really wanted to stay in the NY metro area, but....)

Anyway, it's time to start looking around.

For example the Zags have replaced Greenbay as the mid-major of perennial success. Does anyone think that Lisa Fortier could be in play?

When talking replacement, consider salary.
I feel the salary needs to be equal or more in order to bring in a top candidate and not someone that just wants a P-5 position and willing to work for less.
Vivian will make $925,000 her final year after making $775,000 the first year of the extended contract.
Maybe a similar arrangement can be negotiated in order to bring someone that has a great chance to make Rutgers an elite program, like it was, again.

Isn’t $925000 a good salary for a women’s coach?
When your name is the program to most people it is.
So is the $775,000 she received at the start of extension.
Whoever is hired needs to make sure the program has everything it needs to attract recruits and doesn't have to rely on the coach's name and reputation to bring them in

Banghart got $650,000 to leave Princeton for UNC.
That's a good starting salary and her fifth year is lower than was Vivian's salary was the first year of her extension.
But Stringer has been at Rutgers for a long time while Courtney is moving up to the ACC from the Ivys and that could be the reason the $650,000 starting salary was given

Like you I feel Banghart would have made a great replacement before taking over from Sylvia Hatchell as the UNC WBB HC.

Starting out 7-6 Conference 16-8 total really isn't bad considering Sylvia was 18-15 last year with an 8-8 ACC record. Making it to the dance the first time in 4 years. (2014-15 season)

Banghart, not a big fan, I always liked KBA though, but that ship has sailed. I'm afraid when CVS retires Hobbs will have to consider a lesser coach to help cover some of Schiano's salary.

Banghart, not a big fan, I always liked KBA though, but that ship has sailed. I'm afraid when CVS retires Hobbs will have to consider a lesser coach to help cover some of Schiano's salary.
That type of hire has worried me for a long time and Schiano was gone when I started worrying.
Rutgers has a habit of hiring on the cheap and hopefully that will end under Hobbs.
Pikiell was hired at an average $1.6 million for his original 5 year contract in 2016
Salary was the lowest in the B1G at the time (I think) but far better than what he was making at Stony Brook ($372,550), but he is proving he was worth hiring.

I will say this till I can't talk no more -

What has KBA done that makes you think she is so good. Look up her record (compare it to Vivian's while you are at it).

I agree she probably has a 'head to head' edge on RU.

PS if she was just a bit younger - I would have liked GG (don't make me try to spell it) at one time as a future Rutgers caoch.

If she stays through next year which we no she will because she is not going to give up that last year by then we will be getting the full share of the BIG money we will have another 20 million or so so I don’t think he will be going on the cheap on the new hire

If she stays through next year which we no she will because she is not going to give up that last year by then we will be getting the full share of the BIG money we will have another 20 million or so so I don’t think he will be going on the cheap on the new hire
Good thought, I agree with you, didn't think of that angle.

Fortier is a very far west lady, has spent her whole life out there. Her husband is also BB coach. They have 3 kids in school out there as well. Doubt she would move to New Brunswick/Piscataway. JMHO.

I will say this till I can't talk no more -

What has KBA done that makes you think she is so good. Look up her record (compare it to Vivian's while you are at it).

I agree she probably has a 'head to head' edge on RU.

PS if she was just a bit younger - I would have liked GG (don't make me try to spell it) at one time as a future Rutgers caoch.

yes I think GG would fit perfectly here and grow the fanbase. Unfortunately maybe a bit long in the tooth at 56..I know thats young but she has been out of coaching for 8 years now.

Sounds good to me.
Hopefully you're right on about getting a full share will have RU pay what it takes and not try to cheap out on salary.

I think with the loan Rutgers received from the B1G,full share starts in 2027.
But what Rutgers does receive should make your not going on the cheap hire an accurate one.

Rutgers says full Big Ten share delayed until 2027
>To be fair, Rutgers' revenue share begins to jump considerably in 2021, when it is to receive an estimated $43.71, up from $28.64 million in 2020.<
https://www.app.com/story/sports/co...me-big-ten-money-peers-until-2027/2743539002/

Reactions: keywestRU
I'll just throw a few possibilities out there, Pokey Chatman, Carolyn Peck, Shauna Green, Felicia Leggett-Jack, Jolette Law or some home grown with less experience like Tasha Pointer, Chelsea Newton, Courtney Locke, or Vicky Picott who might be inclined to come here for less money than the former head coaches. If we could get anyone we wanted, my first choice would be Dawn Staley, but I could not see her leaving SC.

Reactions: RUinHP
I'll just throw a few possibilities out there, Pokey Chatman, Carolyn Peck, Shauna Green, Felicia Leggett-Jack, Jolette Law or some home grown with less experience like Tasha Pointer, Chelsea Newton, Courtney Locke, or Vicky Picott who might be inclined to come here for less money than the former head coaches. If we could get anyone we wanted, my first choice would be Dawn Staley, but I could not see her leaving SC.
Pokey Chatman sounds intriguing (105-19 in 4 years at LSU with 4 final 4s), if she wants to return to College Basketball.
Her break-up with LSU wasn’t the most amicable, but that was 13 years ago.

Reactions: ScarletteK80
Pokey Chatman sounds intriguing (105-19 in 4 years at LSU with 4 final 4s), if she wants to return to College Basketball.
Her break-up with LSU wasn’t the most amicable, but that was 13 years ago.
Pokey, hmm, that's an interesting thought. She hasn't had good coaching time in the WNBA, last gig she had Erica Wheeler, and in previous years @ Chicago where she had Cappie, and a couple other RU grads.
Chatman was named head coach of the Indiana Fever on Nov. 18, 2016. In three seasons with the Fever, she compiled a 28-74 record.

I don't think Chatman will get a college job, remember, her issue was an affair with a player. And I don't know why she wasn't more successful in the WNBA because she certainly seemed to have coaching talent at LSU.

None of the head coaches suggested really speak to me. I like Jolette, but it is difficult to overcome her Illinois situation; Jack might not be a good fit at a public institution, but I don't doubt might have the talent. I'm pretty sure Peck doesn't want to coach anymore.

All of the former players are interesting ideas, and we don't know the "behind the scenes" stories at their various assistant coaching stops to have any real way of evaluating them. But in the abstract I would not be disappointed if Rutgers looked at them, at least.

Shauna Green sounds like an excellent candidate. Fits the mold off Hobbs favoring some up and comers rather than older. Also would believe she would bring a new style and energy that can revive fan interest here.

Shauna Green sounds like an excellent candidate. Fits the mold off Hobbs favoring some up and comers rather than older. Also would believe she would bring a new style and energy that can revive fan interest here.
Also someone well worth looking at. I believe she is well thought of.

Also someone well worth looking at. I believe she is well thought of.
Agree
(from Dayton Flyers site)
2018-19 season saw the Flyers make their 11th straight postseason appearance as Dayton advanced to the first round of the WNIT Tournament. UD finished the season with a 17-14 record overall and a 10-6 Atlantic 10 mark
Green was named the 2018 Atlantic 10 Coach of the Year after guiding the Flyers to the outright A-10 regular season championship and another NCAA Tournament berth. The Flyers finished the season with a 23-7 record overall, a 15-1 conference mark, and a 12-1 home record.

In Green’s first year at the helm of the Flyers, she made Dayton women’s basketball history by guiding UD to its first ever sweep of regular season and tournament titles in the Atlantic 10 Conference. She received WBCA National Rookie Coach of the Year honors after leading the Flyers to a 22-10 record, 13-3 A-10 mark, and a berth in the NCAA Division I Tournament. Dayton’s season ended in a hard-fought loss to No. 5 seed and eight-time National Champion Tennessee at the KFC Yum! Center in Louisville on March 18.
Year School Record Pct. Season Highlights
2005-06 Loras College 12-15 .444
2006-07 Loras College 17-10 .629
2016-17 Dayton 22-10 .688 A-10 Regular Season & Tournament Champions, NCAA Tournament First Round
2017-18 Dayton 23-7 .767 A-10 Regular Season Champions, NCAA Tournament First Round
2018-19 Dayton 17-14 .548 WNIT First Round
Dayton Total 3 seasons 62-31 .667
Career Total 4 seasons 91-56 .619

Great record at Tuffs (D-3 ?)
17 years(2002-19) Games-480 > Won-384 > lost-96
Tufts. Very good school, from all I've heard. Way out of my league. Division III is correct, the Jumbos of all things.

It was often assumed that she wouldn't leave Tufts for DI, but Princeton got her. Some (not all) of the speculation by UConn fans centered on finding a location that would welcome her wife, and those who were posting at the time all seemed to agree that Princeton was a good fit on so many levels.

I'm not sure that she is going to want to leave there anytime in the relatively near future, IIRC she is also raising a family.

For those using she's not leaving that money on the table as an excuse for CVS coming back next year.
Neither would you, so shut up, stop whining and blame Hobbs for being so cheap not to buy Stringer out, forcing her to retire or find another school to coach at, if she wants a payday.

Just like most HCs in every sport, confidence, ego and feeling program can be improved makes competitive people stay on after a year that didn't go so well.
Money is the least of the reasons for not giving up in most cases, when a long time HC returns after having a fairly bad year.

Say Stringer should retire, that is something that should be said by those unhappy with her coaching (I'm just about at that point), but leave the petty money comments out because competitive people might demand to be paid well, but don't return after a fairly bad year just to keep on collecting. Most have an ego that won't allow them to admit failure and the confidence they can turn the program into a one that is considered one of the best.

Last edited:

Agreed

Last edited:
How long has it been since we made a “deep” run in the NCAA Tournament? I see a parallel with Eli Manning’s journey. I think we’ve reached the end of the road and Hobbs should be doing some planning (as did Gettleman).

Hobbs will pay her after she retires..he has said as much

Unfortunately its likelt that Eatmann stays coach and that is inexcusable

Had to look up to see who the hell Shauna Green was, honestly never heard of her, and where she coaches. Dayton Flyers? A powerhouse to be sure. You guys are really in search for your blonde pony tailed coach I see, pathetic actually.

Lets shoot for the moon...Dawn Staley

worked out the last time we did it in the mid 90s

I was thinking the same thing the other day. Seems like a pipe dream at first, but maybe she'd like the idea of getting back to her Philly roots the way CVS did. Then again, wouldn't it be hard to leave a top 5 program in South Carolina?

Reactions: bac2therac
I was thinking the same thing the other day. Seems like a pipe dream at first, but maybe she'd like the idea of getting back to her Philly roots the way CVS did. Then again, wouldn't it be hard to leave a top 5 program in South Carolina?
Nice thought but 0% chance it happens. She had a packed house of about 18,000 the other night. Her elderly parents I read someplace are down South now. She has the #1 team in the country with a good recruiting class coming in. She and Jolette Law are very, very content. In no way could RU convince or pay her to come to RU IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT