ADVERTISEMENT

CVS's all time RU Top 5

rufeelinit

Heisman Winner
May 16, 2010
With CVS passing the 1K win milestone last night, I started thinking about the top players she has had here at RU. Too lazy to do the research so let me state clearly this is just off the top of my head. I am also not paying a lot of attention to position just best players.

Top 5
Cappie Pondexter
Shawnetta Stewart
Essence Carson
Ephiphany Prince
Matee Ajavon

Honorable Mention

Tasha Pointer
Tammy Sutton Brown
Kia Vaughn
Linda Miles
Khaleah Copper
Tyler Scaife
Usha Gilmore

I am sure I missed a few so have at it.

Last edited:
So many to choose from, but I think I'd add Chelsea Newton and Betnijah Laney to the mix (toughness, smarts, and prowess on both offense and defensive ends).

Reactions: KevH
Linda Miles was at the game last night. She’s is quite charismatic. How can you not like her? I bet she would be a good recruiter. But I believe she is a referee now. Never too late.

Reactions: ScarletteK80
So many to choose from, but I think I'd add Chelsea Newton and Betnijah Laney to the mix (toughness, smarts, and prowess on both offense and defensive ends).

Two good names that should be added to the HM list. I don't think they crack the top 5.

Chelsea over Shawnetta as well. Shawnetta was good for her era, now she would be blown away in the dust by today's athleticism.

Chelsea over Shawnetta as well. Shawnetta was good for her era, now she would be blown away in the dust by today's athleticism.

I was not thinking about who would thrive the most in today's game when putting together my top five. I recall Shawnetta being a key component of CVS's team that went to the final four. She could shoot and feared no one. Not knocking Chelsea who was definitely an oversight on my part but that is what makes this discussion interesting.

Reactions: ScarletteK80
If you have to be absolute, then I agree with whoever said Pointer over Ajavon. Both are clearly in the top 10.

Possibly not Usha. A good player and a fan favorite. But probably border line on a list like this. Like Heather Zurich, a key contributor on some good teams. You could, technically, make a list of good players that were not "stars", but the team wouldn't have been what it was without them. Quite a respectable list as well.

Top 5
Cappie Pondexter
Shawnetta Stewart
Essence Carson
Ephiphany Prince
Matee Ajavon // Pointer

Shawnetta should be in the top 5, she was two-time Big East First Team, MVP of the West Region when went to Final Four, and is arguably the most important player to commit to CVS. Hard to leave Pointer off First Team as she is the school's all time leader in assists and steals and two time First Team Big East, but Matee was one of our most dangerous players off the bounce ever.

No post players in the top 5, but Kia and TSB are right on the edge. Michelle Campbell was also always criminally underrated.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT