ADVERTISEMENT

D-1 Council has voted in favor of giving additional year of eligibility to winter athletes

What’s crazy is if the pandemic hit like two weeks later, there would be a possibility of a Spencer Lee being a 5x NCAA champ

What’s crazy is if the pandemic hit like two weeks later, there would be a possibility of a Spencer Lee being a 5x NCAA champ

5x champ would be insane, but it likely wouldn't happen. There is a certain roadblock named Nick Suriano in the way.

Yianni or Mekhi on the other hand are in play for a 5x champ.
Think we see something that says you can only wrestle in 4 Championships but 5 season.Just don't see anyway they allow athletes to participate in 5 Championships.

Yianni or Mekhi on the other hand are in play for a 5x champ.
Yianni has the ability but he’ll probably get to a point where there’s nothing more to prove at the NCAA level and he’ll go focus on the international circuit.

Mekhi is talented but I don’t think he’s in among the elite of the elites, like Lee and Yianni are.

NCAA gives extra year of eligibility to winter athletes, is closer to new transfer, NIL rules

It’s essentially a free year of eligibility when compared to the usual term of eligibility given to college athletes: five years to complete four seasons of competition. Now, winter sport athletes will have six years to play five.

Do we expect MVB staying another year? Or maybe Grello?
I’d expect anyone with a decent scholarship percentage will stay. You’d be a fool not to. Someone like Suriano can probably walk out of Rutgers with up to 3 National titles and a free Masters. I don’t know how money breaks down to each guy though.

Not as easy as just coming back for some guys. Coaches are not obligated to provide $$ for this years Seniors that could come back(would be up to the coaching staff). Guys that are getting under 50% that have been here 5 years, tuff to ask them to pay another 10-15K again(more if they are not going to get money).

Scholarships stay at 9.9, so you have money promised to incoming Frosh, sometimes kids are getting a little less this year with the promise of more next year etc. Many things to consider.

Reactions: MS-RU
Scholarships stay at 9.9, so you have money promised to incoming Frosh, sometimes kids are getting a little less this year with the promise of more next year etc. Many things to consider.
I would think there's some allotment here for a year or two. If not especially in football you'll have a lot of coaches forcing kids out. That's not exactly what the NCAA wants done with their recent push to give student athletes more reign.

Now the likeness payments, O boy what a can of worms there, you can now receive payments for autographs and personal appearances. What does a top 5 recruit cost now? $5,000 per autograph? You no longer need to promise scholarship money, rather how much they'll receive in autographs and personnel appearances. The rich will get richer.

Last edited:
I would think there's some allotment here for a year or two. If not especially in football you'll have a lot of coaches forcing kids out. That's not exactly what the NCAA wants done with their recent push to give student athletes more reign.

Now the likeness payments, O boy what a can of worms there, you can now receive payments for autographs and personal appearances. What does a top 5 recruit cost now? $5,000 per autograph? You no longer need to promise scholarship money, rather how much they'll receive in autographs and personnel appearances. The rich will get richer.

I am sure Football is a different animal. Lasts years Spring sports were not giving any extra scholarships. Athletes that coaches wanted back, got some money others were told thanks and good luck. Granted this year is different but schools have way less revenue so I would be surprised if Olympic Sports got any scholarship relief(hey hope I am wrong.Lol)

Reactions: koleszar
Not as easy as just coming back for some guys. Coaches are not obligated to provide $$ for this years Seniors that could come back(would be up to the coaching staff). Guys that are getting under 50% that have been here 5 years, tuff to ask them to pay another 10-15K again(more if they are not going to get money).

Pretty sure Goodale has said he’d never pull money from a kid he promised money to

Pretty sure Goodale has said he’d never pull money from a kid he promised money to

Agree, but a 6 year senior is not the same. If the staff really does not want someone back...they are not getting scholly money for their 6th year(that money is already promised to someone else).

ADVERTISEMENT