ADVERTISEMENT

Daily Targum defunded for first time in history

ScarletDave

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Oct 7, 2010
For the first time since becoming independent of the university, the Daily Targum referendum to secure funding from student fees was voted down. They will have to find another source of revenue.

Rutgers students vote to slash funding for student paper. Daily Targum could shut down.

The future of Rutgers University’s independent student newspaper is in question after losing all of its funding from student fees, the primary source of revenue for the 151-year-old The Daily Targum.

Not enough students voted to continue supporting an $11.25 student fee in a recent campus referendum, gutting the paper of its largest and most reliable source of revenue, the paper announced on Monday night.

https://www.nj.com/education/2019/0...-of-funding-leaving-future-up-in-the-air.html

Clearly, many students are apathetic to whatever the Targum thinks it's providing for their benefit. The Targum is going to have to work hard at attracting advertising and cutting expenses. I also worked on a campus paper that eventually lost funding from students (in that case, from the student government) and the paper found ways to survive. It is not easy, but it can be done.

Sad.

If they haven't already I'd assume the first move would be to cease hard copy printing and go online only?

As a dinosaur that still has a daily paper subscription, but reads many others via paid online subscriptions, I wonder about a generation that thinks social media companies will serve up what they need to know for the price of turning over their identity and activity data.

Last edited:
The Targum's reporting was a joke when I was on campus. I'm talking to the point that people would literally make jokes about how their reporters would get quotes, names, and dates wrong, repeatedly. They failed to adapt at all to changing media tastes, and after the last referendum moved off campus completely. If they want students to take them seriously, they'd actually have to engage with students and get stuff right. Hopefully they survive and improve.

Rutgers students gutted $500K from their paper, and now it’s begging for donations

Rutgers University’s independent student newspaper is asking for donations after students voted to discontinue a fee that provided more than half a million dollars annually to the 150-year-old paper.

The controversial vote will cost the paper a projected $540,000 next school year, close to 70 percent of its roughly $800,000 budget, said Melissa Hayes, an alumni member of The Daily Targum’s Board of Trustees.

https://www.nj.com/education/2019/0...their-paper-so-its-begging-for-your-help.html

ADVERTISEMENT