ADVERTISEMENT

David T. Bender Trust Donates $4 Million to Create Endowed Rutgers Athletic Scholarships

ecojew

All American
Feb 1, 2006
I'm surprised not to see this posted here as it will have a big positive impact on RU's ability to compete at a higher level in several Olympic sports in the B1G. Also, the story behind this is a very nice one that most alums will enjoy reading.

Anybody know how much it costs to endow one athletic scholarship? I'm aware that endowing a faculty chairs costs a few million $$ at least but have no idea about a scholarship.

thanks.

https://support.rutgers.edu/news-st...create-endowed-rutgers-athletic-scholarships/

Reactions: bigmatt718
I would guess it means athletic scholarships are endowed, which is a very good thing. It does not change the number of athletic scholarships that can be granted in the different sports.

I would guess it means athletic scholarships are endowed, which is a very good thing. It does not change the number of athletic scholarships that can be granted in the different sports.

Yes, that is a very good thing.

My question, though, had to do with the price tag of one endowed scholarship. I'm wondering how many scholarships can be endowed with $4 million. If it costs about $250K to endow one, then this gift will pay for 16 scholarships in total, which would be a tremendous help to our Olympic sports programs, so of which might well be under the NCAA limit due to lack of funds in the past.

You should post this on the football board since Bender was a Rutgers football player and coach and also had a football trophy named for him.

Yes, that is a very good thing.

My question, though, had to do with the price tag of one endowed scholarship. I'm wondering how many scholarships can be endowed with $4 million. If it costs about $250K to endow one, then this gift will pay for 16 scholarships in total, which would be a tremendous help to our Olympic sports programs, so of which might well be under the NCAA limit due to lack of funds in the past.

I read somewhere that it will endow 8 scholarships, so I suppose it takes ~$500K to endow a single one, on average.

I read somewhere that it will endow 8 scholarships, so I suppose it takes ~$500K to endow a single one, on average.

Wow. That is quite a bit more than I was expecting to hear. Someone mentioned that 8 teams would be the beneficiaries of the gift but I didn't realize that would mean just one scholie per team.

Wow. That is quite a bit more than I was expecting to hear. Someone mentioned that 8 teams would be the beneficiaries of the gift but I didn't realize that would mean just one scholie per team.

I wasn't sure so I double checked and below in quotes is how it's worded in an article on sk.com from Rutgers Today (linked below):

"The gift will support a new endowed scholarship in each of the eight Olympic sports. Every year, one student from each of these sports will receive a Bender scholarship."

With partial scholarships often involved in Olympic sports it's not clear how much is being contributed toward each recipient annually in order to benefit 8 separate student-athletes. On a related note, it's also quite impressive that prior to the current gift, the trust from this bequest had already donated more than $1 million to Rutgers in student-athlete scholarships over the past 29 years.

https://scarletknights.com/news/202...te-endowed-rutgers-athletic-scholarships.aspx

ADVERTISEMENT