ADVERTISEMENT

Football DE Ryan Keeler enters Transfer Portal

No real loss from an on field perspective. I get that he was a positive promoter of the program, but at the end of the day it is hard to get worked up over losing marginal players, even if they are great people. Wish him luck, next man up.

There are some cold people on this board. I really was hoping for success at RU for him.
Wish him the best of everything to him in the future.

I wish him luck too but unless he was asked to leave it’s ultimately his choice.

This transfer portal thing is out of control. It’s not enjoyable. As a fan it sucks. As a coach it sucks. As a teammate it sucks. And probably for 80% of those in the portal it ends up not any “better” on the other side.

Nobody can get track of or rely on who’s in vs out. Pretty hard for teams to stay focused when it’s musical chairs both in/out. Managing a roster is damn near guess work. I don’t think it’s benefiting the kids transferring either. Very few.

This transfer portal thing is out of control. It’s not enjoyable. As a fan it sucks. As a coach it sucks. As a teammate it sucks. And probably for 80% of those in the portal it ends up not any “better” on the other side.

Nobody can get track of or rely on who’s in vs out. Pretty hard for teams to stay focused when it’s musical chairs both in/out. Managing a roster is damn near guess work. I don’t think it’s benefiting the kids transferring either. Very few.
If a player transfers after the spring, odds are they didn’t get the spot they wanted. The fans loved Ryan but he wasn’t making the 2 deep. The DL is in great shape and he’s heading somewhere he will get a chance to play.

Nobody wants to accept being the back up and fighting for the starting job . This is the big change over the years. These kids want everything handed to them or they are leaving.

sometimes, these transfers are win win for all. This feels like one of those situations. Wish him the best.

If a player transfers after the spring, odds are they didn’t get the spot they wanted. The fans loved Ryan but he wasn’t making the 2 deep. The DL is in great shape and he’s heading somewhere he will get a chance to play.
The proof is he was probably a logical portal transfer after spring ball. He didn’t play in the game and whenever I saw him it was on the sideline with teammates. Is this more due to the past knee injury which will limit him? We do have depth on the D line . Hard to believe it I know. I will say this Ryan Keeler was a good guy and a great advocate of Rutgers Football. I wish him good luck and continued good health.

These sorts of announcements almost never trouble me. I don’t count any player as part of the roster until the season starts. Or any commit until the first game.

Players have more choice and flexibility these days. And that can work both for and against teams. As long as the team wins some players from the portal, to balance its losses in the portal, we’re okay.

Kids transferred out before the portal too. Why shouldn't he have a chance to go somewhere he can play if it won't come at Rutgers?

Kids transferred out before the portal too. Why shouldn't he have a chance to go somewhere he can play if it won't come at Rutgers?

huge difference.

rule used to be transfers had to sit a year or transfer done a division. So it forced people to really think about it or stick it out at their current school. It forced some level of commitment. I liked the rule that way . It gave anyone the option to transfer and preserve their eligibility. Very few guys were transferring just to be on winning teams or the current “hot” team.

now we have some rediculous number of players in the transfer portal with all varying points of time. Something like 20% or more of a team is transferring each season.

you get teams like LSU basketball who literally didn’t have a single scholarship player stay after this season.

and yes I would agree there should also be boundaries on coach’s abilities to jump ship and move during season , how often , etc.

huge difference.

rule used to be transfers had to sit a year or transfer done a division. So it forced people to really think about it or stick it out at their current school. It forced some level of commitment. I liked the rule that way . It gave anyone the option to transfer and preserve their eligibility. Very few guys were transferring just to be on winning teams or the current “hot” team.

now we have some rediculous number of players in the transfer portal with all varying points of time. Something like 20% or more of a team is transferring each season.

you get teams like LSU basketball who literally didn’t have a single scholarship player stay after this season.

and yes I would agree there should also be boundaries on coach’s abilities to jump ship and move during season , how often , etc.
Yeah but how do you prevent coaches “ jumping ship”? You can’t. But everyone wants to control players “jumping ship”. It’s a mindset. I’m “old school” in many ways, I think it is good for players to be “ loyal” and fight through adversity. However, if a player thinks their interest is served by moving on, they should have that right and should not be penalized by sitting out a year. Were Rutgers fans complaining when RU brought in 4 OL transfers to help improve a bad offensive line and are immediately eligible?

The proof is he was probably a logical portal transfer after spring ball. He didn’t play in the game and whenever I saw him it was on the sideline with teammates. Is this more due to the past knee injury which will limit him? We do have depth on the D line . Hard to believe it I know. I will say this Ryan Keeler was a good guy and a great advocate of Rutgers Football. I wish him good luck and continued good health.
Yup agree with all of this. And we will likely be mining for LBs in the portal due to injuries. We can benefit from the post-spring depth chart shakeout too.

Reactions: runrutgersrun
huge difference.

This type of transfer has happened at Rutgers, and every program, for the past 20 years. He's at the end of the bench and likely had a thorough conversation with his coaches regarding expectations moving forward. The program gets to evaluate the new players coming in and Keeler gets a new opportunity at a more fitting level.

Not so sure on that. Toure might be out for the year …hopefully not. We should know in a few weeks. Also DE Onyechi just transferred to Colorado St.
I count Lewis, Hamilton, Hughes, Allen, Bailey, Thompson, Stewart, Fletcher and Collins. Plus Toure. That sounds like a lot of DEs / edge players.

Way more concerned about the low numbers at LB and safety.

It seems like we lose a player a day on TP.
Will we have a team by the start of a season?
You know we needed guys to leave just to have enough room for the incoming recruiting class? We are still looking to add a TE and a LB from the portal.

Reactions: Kbee3
I count Lewis, Hamilton, Hughes, Allen, Bailey, Thompson, Stewart, Fletcher and Collins. Plus Toure. That sounds like a lot of DEs / edge players.

Way more concerned about the low numbers at LB and safety.
Hughes is at tackle, Hamilton will also see time there. Allen and Fletcher are true freshmen who will probably redshirt this year. Toure was mostly at LB before he got hurt.

I feel better knowing someone thinks the transferring players are suffering too. I hope you're right.

I feel better knowing someone thinks the transferring players are suffering too. I hope you're right.
I have not looked within the last week but I have occasionally looked up the list on players in the portal and the last time I looked at a list was last week and there were many, and I mean many, players who were still uncommitted and available. Practice starts in a week or two for most teams so a lot of players entered the portal and have no where to go. So, yes, many of the players are suffering from a poor decision.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT