ADVERTISEMENT

Dear Pat Hobbs: Get us $4.5 mill for assistant salaries or stick a fork in us

• Thread starter anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
  • Start date
A

anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy

over the past 4 seasons after you account for salaries and upcoming buyouts, Rutgers will have paid the former staff roughly $30 million, in other words $7.5 million dollars per year and what did that get us? Futility behind your wildest dreams.

Our 2019 assistant salary pool is right around $3 million with the head coach making $2.4 million, so right now our 10 man coaching staff and head coach make a combined $5.4 million.

If our next head coach is Greg Schiano think about the type of staff, excitement and the amount of tickets a $3.5 million head man can get you along with $4.5 million for assistants. I’ll lay out a very realistic example.

Greg Schiano- $3.5
OC- Phil Longo $800k
QB/ Co-OC - Nunzio Camp $400k
RB- Kolby Smith- $250k
WR- TiQuan Underwood $250k
TE- Brian Angelicho- $300k
OL- Bob Bostad $475k
DL- Jim Panagos- $350k
LB/ST Coordinator- Chris Partridge $600k
CB/Co-DC- Fran Brown- $500k
Safety/Co-DC- Ant Camp $600k

A MONSTER staff like this that would bring not only quality coaching but also the best of the best recruits would cost just $4.5 million. This 10 man staff in total plus the HC salary is just $8 million, just $500k more per year than our previous staff. If an extra 10,000 season ticket sales gets us $4.5 million, get ready for an extra 20,000 season ticket sales will get us an extra $8.7 million (spend $300k on hiring more people for the ticket office you’ll need it).

This type of staff means no future buyouts, retention like youd never believe, Nunz learning under Phil Longo in case Phil Longo (jersey native) ever gets a head coaching opportunity somewhere else, nunz can slide right into the OC role. This staff solves every problem we have. Revenue, identity, recruiting, competitive excellence. This staff gets you to a Rose Bowl within 5 years.

Balls in your court now Pat. Do we want to go on the cheap again and try to “save” $1 million in the assistant salary pool knowing damn well, with a quality staff like the one mentioned above, for the extra $1 million spent you’ll probably receive 3-4x that in revenue from ticket sales and donations? You’ve done a great job selling the donors on $100,000,000+ facility upgrades, can you sell the BOG on an extra $1,000,000 in assistant salaries on the schools single largest marketable asset? Get it done.

over the past 4 seasons after you account for salaries and upcoming buyouts, Rutgers will have paid the former staff roughly $30 million, in other words $7.5 million dollars per year and what did that get us? Futility behind your wildest dreams.

Our 2019 assistant salary pool is right around $3 million with the head coach making $2.4 million, so right now our 10 man coaching staff and head coach make a combined $5.4 million.

If our next head coach is Greg Schiano think about the type of staff, excitement and the amount of tickets a $3.5 million head man can get you along with $4.5 million for assistants. I’ll lay out a very realistic example.

Greg Schiano- $3.5
OC- Phil Longo $800k
RB- Kolby Smith- $250k
OL- Bob Bostad $475k
DL- Jim Panagos- $350k

A MONSTER staff like this that would bring not only quality coaching but also the best of the best recruits would cost just $4.5 million. This 10 man staff in total plus the HC salary is just $8 million, just $500k more per year than our previous staff. If an extra 10,000 season ticket sales gets us $4.5 million, get ready for an extra 20,000 season ticket sales will get us an extra $8.7 million (spend $300k on hiring more people for the ticket office you’ll need it).

This type of staff means no future buyouts, retention like youd never believe, Nunz learning under Phil Longo in case Phil Longo (jersey native) ever gets a head coaching opportunity somewhere else, nunz can slide right into the OC role. This staff solves every problem we have. Revenue, identity, recruiting, competitive excellence. This staff gets you to a Rose Bowl within 5 years.

Balls in your court now Pat. Do we want to go on the cheap again and try to “save” $1 million in the assistant salary pool knowing damn well, with a quality staff like the one mentioned above, for the extra $1 million spent you’ll probably receive 3-4x that in revenue from ticket sales and donations? You’ve done a great job selling the donors on $100,000,000+ facility upgrades, can you sell the BOG on an extra $1,000,000 in assistant salaries on the schools single largest marketable asset? Get it done.

well ****ing said - in this business you need to SPEND to SAVE. How much does Partridge make at Michigan? Who is the AHC on this staff?

The one thing I do agree is that we need to BIG TEN this and give the HC a B1Ger budget to hire who they want.

you don't want Schiano to pick his own staff?

Hobbs hires the HC and gives the HC a budget to hire his staff.
I think this is pretty much the staff schiano would pick. Maybe Bob Fraser instead of Partridge and vallone instead of panagos but this is just about the staff id see schiano wanting

Reactions: RUonBrain
nobody has a solid warm feeling that Hobbs can figure this out.
Its not basketball,a little more complicated.

Reactions: SheaWasBetter
If you care about this, email that to Pat don’t post it here

I agree with kyk and Skoolie

And mention your pending 10K donation, kyk

I was thinking the same thing.

Regardless of who you bring in, if you don’t allocate the funds for a real kick ass assistant coaching staff (heavily Jersey-based), just shut the whole program down.

It would all be a waste of time and $ with no chance of real success, and we’ll be talking about the next head coach’s buyout 4 years from now.

If you want to go to the Rose Bowl (Or any New Years Day Bowl), you HAVE TO HAVE A HIGH LEVEL ASSISTANT STAFF.

JUST DO IT, HOBBS!!!
$$$

Good thread... we need to make assistant jobs more appealing. Getting and keeping good assistants is very important. And NJ is a very expensive place to live.

Say what you want about the guy but @kyk1827 gets it.

but how many of these coaches will come. Ant camp ain’t coming to be a co-dc on the worst defense in country and ruin his career when he is on tract to be a coordinator at a top place.

partridge also won’t come without a coordinator role.

Reactions: BlockR

Greg Schiano- $3.5
OC- Phil Longo $800k
RB- Kolby Smith- $250k
OL- Bob Bostad $475k
DL- Jim Panagos- $350k

Those numbers actually seem fairly low if you want to compete in the B1G.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/assistant

Last edited:
Say what you want about the guy but @kyk1827 gets it.

but how many of these coaches will come. Ant camp ain’t coming to be a co-dc on the worst defense in country and ruin his career when he is on tract to be a coordinator at a top place.

partridge also won’t come without a coordinator role.
Theres a reason in ant camps contract at Michigan theres only one school he cant penalized for leaving for and that is... you guessed it, Rutgers. Wives have a say things too you know.

Definitely would be helpful to have a good budget for assistants...hopefully not all soaked up in the HC salary. Not sure how realistic some of those guys up top are and at the salaries mentioned too as I'm not sure some would leave for that.

Hard to say much about current HCs as they likely will bring much if not all of their current staff or at least that happens often if someone isn't elevated to the departed coach's position.

If it's someone not currently working...I'd take be satisfied with this kind of trio

Butch Jones HC
Bill Bedenbaugh OC (allowing him to choose the OL coach)
Fran Brown or Adam Fuller DC

EDIT: Just an article on Bedenbaugh and his possible desire to be OC and eventually HC...content the way things are but if the opportunity came seems like he'd want it.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/c...cle_bf0dc7d1-da98-5b0f-9d11-a96d1e5b146f.html

Last edited:
Reactions: Scarlet_Scourge
The next head coach, whoever it is, should definitely be given a large budget for assistants. More importantly, any decent evaluation of a new head coach should examine the sorts of assistant's that coach was able to attract in the past.

The initial season for a new head-coach at RU will likely be the most attractive point at which to recruit really good assistants. Because they'll have about four years before a coaching change might happen. After that point, unless there's very rapid success in terms of wins/losses, the position starts looking too risky.

So to me, the ability of the new coach to immediately bring in really good assistants is critical to our success. And a lot of this comes down to personality and how that new head-coach is perceived across the nation.

I think it's probably safe to say that a lot of potential assistants are likely to be neutral to concerned about Schiano, based on his resume and on articles out of Tampa Bay about him. Most potential assistants are unlikely to have the same perspective as RU fans who are Schiano-lovers.

Which new head coach has the last baggage to overcome in recruiting great assistants to RU?

Last edited:
actually when you consider what other BIG teams pay those numbers are not that noeworthy

The next head coach, whoever it is, should definitely be given a large budget for assistants. More importantly, any decent evaluation of a new head coach should examine the sorts of assistant's that coach was able to attract in the past.

The initial season for a new head-coach at RU will likely be the most attractive point at which to recruit really good assistants. Because they'll have about four years before a coaching change might happen. After that point, unless there's very rapid success in terms of wins/losses, the position starts looking too risky.

So to me, the ability of the new coach to immediately bring in really good assistants is critical to our success. And a lot of this comes down to personality and how that new head-coach is perceived across the nation.
Nailed it. New coach has to have a great staff from day 1

actually when you consider what other BIG teams pay those numbers are not that noeworthy
Exactly. Thats my point. Our dynamite staff is $4.5 assistant salary pool. We can gradually move up from there but from day one it’s gotta be $4.5

Reactions: RUonBrain

Greg Schiano- $3.5
OC- Phil Longo $800k
RB- Kolby Smith- $250k
OL- Bob Bostad $475k
DL- Jim Panagos- $350k

That would be a dream staff.

Reactions: Wolv RU
Nailed it. New coach has to have a great staff from day 1
Well... I edited my post some so you might want to remove your "like" as it's more negative about Schiano than I think you will like.

I have some concerns about Schiano's ability to recruit great assistants.

Exactly. Thats my point. Our dynamite staff is $4.5 assistant salary pool. We can gradually move up from there but from day one it’s gotta be $4.5
I agree we need to have a large budget. But we shouldn't overpay for whatever we can get either. If, and that's a big if, we can recruit great assistants, then pay them accordingly. If we wind up with so-so assistants, pay them so-so money and roll the excess into next year's budget so we can upgrade if things start looking good.

Well... I edited my post some so you might want to remove your "like" as it's more negative about Schiano than I think you will like.

Kirk Ciaroccha and the WildKnight formation beg to differ with that assessment.

Funny to read posts about having Pacheco run the WildKnight formation tomorrow. Like that’s a good strategy for us or any FB team?

Last edited:

Greg Schiano- $3.5
OC- Phil Longo $800k
RB- Kolby Smith- $250k
OL- Bob Bostad $475k
DL- Jim Panagos- $350k

Rutgers would need to add an analytics department. Not sure how much that would cost, but you can't survive these days without it. Rutgers must step into the modern era.

I think it's probably safe to say that a lot of potential assistants are likely to be neutral to concerned about Schiano, based on his resume and on articles out of Tampa Bay about him. Most potential assistants are unlikely to have the same perspective as RU fans who are Schiano-lovers.

Which new head coach has the last baggage to overcome in recruiting great assistants to RU?

Schiano did have some coaches who moved on to become HC. Joe Susan, Darren Rizzi...and some of the lower level assistants moved up to coordinator level. The only resume he "dinged" was Ciarocca but looking back on it it was probably his co-OC Flood who doomed him.

Its okay to have your concerns, doesnt mean theyre valid

What’s your love with Panagos? Didn't most consider him a bust when here?

Last edited:
Schiano did have some coaches who moved on to become HC. Joe Susan, Darren Rizzi...and some of the lower level assistants moved up to coordinator level. The only resume he "dinged" was Ciarocca but looking back on it it was probably his co-OC Flood who doomed him.
I'm not saying people who were assistants to Schiano were horrible. Just saying that GS has a reputation for being difficult to deal with. That was apparently a big part of the problem at Tampa Bay and probably had more to do with his early firing than anything else. I suspect if he was easier to deal with he would've been given more time to succeed their.

Given the importance of being able to cast a wide net and attract the best possible assistants to RU, I think Hobbs should do his best to vet the potential candidates for that ability. It's harder to do than to say. But it's pretty important and if my job were on the line like Hobb's is, I'd find a way to do it.

Its okay to have your concerns, doesnt mean theyre valid
Totally agree. It's up to Hobbs to not be lazy and evaluate ALL potential coaches for this ability. I know about GS because of his connection to RU and the articles and commentary I've read/seen about him over the years.

But I have no idea how other coaches under consideration might fair in such an evaluation. For all I know, some of the other candidates have similar red-flags.

Totally agree. It's up to Hobbs to not be lazy and evaluate ALL potential coaches for this ability. I know about GS because of his connection to RU and the articles and commentary I've read/seen about him over the years.

But I have no idea how other coaches under consideration might fair in such an evaluation. For all I know, some of the other candidates have similar red-flags.
Please let one be Mike Leach
tenor.gif

Reactions: AntiG
Did you forget everyone's favorite PJ Fleck

Reactions: NotInRHouse
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT