ADVERTISEMENT

Dec 3 @ Minnesota & 12/5 home with Michigan State.

Don't buy the conspiracy theory stuff but the first five a brutal.

Minny
MSU
Purdue
Wisconsin
MSU

any reason why we have 2 random big ten games the beginning of december?

Our first 5 BIG games are really tough. We open with at Minnesota and home to Michigan State in early December. Those two are picked as the best teams in the BIG this coming season. On Jan 3 we go to Purdue, a ranked team than home to Wisconsin and than at Michigan State for a second time who some are picking as the Top team in the country. The BIG didn't do us any favors.

I tried to explain to people for awhile now that the earlier than usual conference tourney schedule mixed with 2 B1G games in early December, provided more than enough reason to make the schedule a lot softer than it should be....mixing in a lot of new faces and now your schedule has Florida State, @ Minnesota, Michigan State and Seton Hall before January.....It's a LOT of home games overall, but those 4 games, mixed with @ Purdue, @ Michigan State and hosting Wisconsin is as tough of a stretch you can get before mid January.

I bet BK and Janet are happy. They get the Minnesota trip out of the way early this year before winter sets in there.

B1G games will be difficult regardless when played this season.The loss of scoring from Johnson and Gettys will be felt until some new players step up.

Reactions: bac2therac
Right here......

.....find me 1 win in the first 5...

Then we can win four of the next five ...5-5/16-7 with 8 games to go and something to play for in the Garden

Reactions: ScarletDave
They do? Have you seen the non conference schedule?
And exactly how would playing a top 10 OOC schedule help during a rebuilding process? Ask Ash because it certainly didn't help out his cause in year 1. It's the smart play. At the end of the year no one remembers who you beat or lost to. All they remember is your record.

And exactly how would playing a top 10 OOC schedule help during a rebuilding process? Ask Ash because it certainly didn't help out his cause in year 1. It's the smart play. At the end of the year no one remembers who you beat or lost to. All they remember is your record.
I agree, but you can't say our staff has a "bring it on" attitude with our OC schedule.

Another person exaggerating and taking it to an extreme to try to argue a point . No one said anything about a top 10 OOC sked. Just play one damn game somewhere besides the RAC.

Huge difference between 13 OOC hoops games can just 3 for football

Last edited:
Another person exaggerating and taking it to an extreme to try to argue a point . No I've said anything about a top 10 OOC sked. Just play one damn game somewhere besides the RAC.
Yes I agree our football schedule last year and this year's 4 of top 10 is a little extreme. But it was a relevant comparison, being that both are in their 1st yrs, in a rebuilding process from the depths of hell and being at RU. Football has little buzz about it after a brutal schedule. With our easy OOC schedule last year Basketball now has some buzz and is able to recruit off of it.

1st thing I said to my buddy after that ass thumping last year is that they should buy out the backend of that series. It's doing us no good and is actually detrimental to progress. Other schools do it why not us? Once you become competitive and have something to recruit with then increase the competition level.

Last edited:
interesting. but i just thought its weird that we start B1G play with 2 games then go another month without a B1G game
Every B1G team has two conference games in December this season because of the dates for the B1G Tournament as @Local Shill pointed out.

The schedule argument is literally the only item that even the most critical RU fan/skeptic has.....can't argue the results last year, the progress, the effort, the recruiting inroads in the tri-state area and region and certainly the future.....the perception change internally to the non-diehard or sharper hoops fan, is the next step and it's showing RU on the uptick.

It's not because of the softer non-conference schedule, it's because over the entire bulk of the schedule, RU played well almost every night (there were about 4 to 5 ugly ones out of 30+ games) .....and that happened with tests at Miami, at Seton Hall, at Stony Brook (while not a huge name, it was a building block win/enivronment) at MSG for Fordham and "at" Wisconsin at MSG for a game that had 70% Wisconsin fans and really was 10 road games in conference vs the normal 9-9 split home/away.....and I thought RU benefitted the most last year by playing at MSG vs Wisconsin with such a difference in fanbases, even in defeat....

All of those games last year should have given an indication that things are moving forward...When you have a younger roster, playing a three game stretch of Florida State, at Minnesota and hosting Michigan State, is nothing anyone could argue with.....if the 2 conference games in December was at Ohio State and hosting Nebraska, then I would tend to agree that the early schedule could still fool a lot of people.

There is no way this schedule isn't extremely fair, even with the RAC games piled up.......there are tough games early/middle and late....and with as many new pieces being integrated, it makes sense....

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Rather get those games early on actually and have more momentum possibly at the end of the season, then possibly have some big dreams and then get crushed late in the season. I'll be along for the ride, and unlike football I actually expect this team to win some games they "shouldn't"

They do? Have you seen the non conference schedule?

According to kenpom Rutgers played the 66th toughest schedule in the country last season. As comparisons: Gonzaga played the 89th toughest, Maryland played the 54th toughest, Arizona played the 59th toughest. So, due to their strength of schedule do you think Mark Few, Mark Turgeon and/or Sean Miller don't have a "bring it on" attitude?

Reality is we play in one of the two or three toughest leagues in the country. At the end of the year our SOS will show we played (at the least) a representative schedule.

ADVERTISEMENT