ADVERTISEMENT

Dedication ceremony for Marco Battaglia Practice Complex Aug 6. Event is open to the public

The upgraded practice facility, part of the "R Big Ten Build' fundraising initiative, features two new grass fields; complete with rebuilt drainage and a new irrigation system as well as a state-of-the-art LED lighting system. In addition to the functional improvements, the practice complex also includes a new entranceway, fencing around the perimeter and redesigned landscaping throughout the facility.

Following the ceremony, guests are invited to walk the complex and get a first look at the upgraded facility. Those who plan to attend are asked to register for the event HERE, in order to claim their free commemorative gift.

http://www.scarletknights.com/news/...taglia-practice-complex-dedication-aug-6.aspx

Nice. Marco Battaglia All American Practice Complex. Thanks for posting. I did not realize it was being named for Marco.

Tango , thanks again for posting.
Submitted my Registration to attend this huge event.

I was there about 10 days ago for the Rutgers 7 on 7 Shootout and the brick is looking GREAT ! Tango, are you hearing anything about what the video board will be used for ? Maybe upcoming university events ? Other games on gameday ? Any ads to bring in some revenue ?

Is it just me or does anyone else find it odd they are naming it after Marco? No doubt he was one of our greatest players but still seems odd being he is still alive and fairly young unless he was a major donor of course

Towers was given naming rights and elected to name it after Marco. I loved Marco but I tend to agree that it's a little weird.

I was there about 10 days ago for the Rutgers 7 on 7 Shootout and the brick is looking GREAT ! Tango, are you hearing anything about what the video board will be used for ? Maybe upcoming university events ? Other games on gameday ? Any ads to bring in some revenue ?

I had recommended to Sarah that the Video board should broadcast the pre game warmups in the Stadium .
This could be viewed by those in the Yellow and White Lots while tailgating before the game.
She said she would bring that idea forward.

I had recommended to Sarah that the Video board should broadcast the pre game warmups in the Stadium .
This could be viewed by those in the Yellow and White Lots while tailgating before the game.
She said she would bring that idea forward.
And before the pregame warmups, when we are not a noon game, would be nice to have broadcasts of other B1G games of interest.

Is it just me or does anyone else find it odd they are naming it after Marco? No doubt he was one of our greatest players but still seems odd being he is still alive and fairly young unless he was a major donor of course
You could make the case that Marco was our most recognized and awarded (citation needed) player while at Rutgers. Certainly being named consensus All-American and "one of the greatest TE to ever play for a B1G team" (albeit while we were in the Big East) is noteworthy. He is a tireless fund raiser on the AD staff and is an all round great personification of a Rutgers Man. I love that the practice field will be named after him. (Thank you Jeff Towers)

You could make the case that Marco was our most recognized and awarded (citation needed) player while at Rutgers. Certainly being named consensus All-American and "one of the greatest TE to ever play for a B1G team" (albeit while we were in the Big East) is noteworthy. He is a tireless fund raiser on the AD staff and is an all round great personification of a Rutgers Man. I love that the practice field will be named after him. (Thank you Jeff Towers)
Is it just me or does the fact that Towers put up a bunch of cash to have a facility named after another man speak volumes about the donor?

And before the pregame warmups, when we are not a noon game, would be nice to have broadcasts of other B1G games of interest.
They could show the B1G Studio show or college gameday prior to noon games. Another possibility would be highlight videos from previous game. The only suggestion would be to turn off the screen 20 minutes prior to kick off so people head into the game.

They could show the B1G Studio show or college gameday prior to noon games. Another possibility would be highlight videos from previous game. The only suggestion would be to turn off the screen 20 minutes prior to kick off so people head into the game.

I see what you're saying with this (making sure people go into the game on time) .. but that's the time when the fans, vistors are also walking towards the stadium and would be seeing it, many for the first time. Its a chance to add to the gameday atmosphere. Perhaps they start showing pre-game "hype" videos the 20 min before. Could be the same one every week even.

Amen!

Did I miss something or did Rutgers. I did not see Bill Austin's name listed on the All American plaque. !!!! Maybe there is another segment listing All Americans that is not shown. I sure hope so.

Last edited:
There are other All-American plaques going all the way up to Turay. They have everyone in order by year. Here is the last one with spaces for more.

Reactions: Scarlet4ever
The speeches by Hobbs, Ash and Towers were great. Marco teared up while giving his speech. The fields are beyond spectacular, 2 real grass and one field turf. I was at the VIP after party, Marco presented the Towers with a gift of his framed game work RU jersey. It was a spectacular evening and event.

DGkr7eIW0AA8Ssu.jpg:large

Reactions: JoeRU0304
The speeches by Hobbs, Ash and Towers were great. Marco teared up while giving his speech. The fields are beyond spectacular, 2 real grass and one field turf. I was at the VIP after party, Marco presented the Towers with a gift of his framed game work RU jersey. It was a spectacular evening and event.

So glad I went. What a day. Beautiful facility. I mean top notch.

Everything was great... from the speeches, to the video messages from Ray Lucas and Marco's former teammates, to the highlights of Marco's playing days at RU.

Did I miss something or did Rutgers. I did not see Bill Austin's name listed on the All American plaque. !!!! Maybe there is another segment listing All Americans that is not shown. I sure hope so.

More than one plaque. We had a lot of them. Also all 6 HOFs have their own bust as well.

I am so glad that the people in charge now finally get it. Rutgers has a rich history that for too long have been downplayed or ignored.

You go to other schools like OSU and they have a banner for all of their All-Americans, every championship, every bowl game, every undefeated season, HOF, etc. Everything is documented.

At Rutgers we have that stuff too, not as much OSU, but we actually have those things too, but for too long you wouldn't know it unless you read one of sources posts here or googled the crap of of Rutgers, trying to find some information.

After the overhaul, the practice complex now encompasses two new fields with a “state-of-the-art” drainage and irrigation system, another area for practice drills, an LED light system, two permanent 54-foot film towers, two new scoreboards, a video board, six game clocks, a 5,000 square-foot storage unit and restrooms, according to Rutgers.

What's more, the complex also boasts a new brick entrance and wall, along with fencing and improved landscaping, making it a destination for pigskin lovers, according to the school. Indeed, the facade displays plaques in honor of Rutgers' six College Football Hall of Famers and names each All-American. A monument dedicated to Battaglia also stands near the entrance.

https://www.tapinto.net/towns/new-b...ers-names-football-practice-complex-after-sta

Reactions: JoeRU0304
ADVERTISEMENT