ADVERTISEMENT

Official Depth Chart Released - Game 1

Of note:

Seymour already on the 2-deep

Goodwin starting

Greg jones starting over Clayton

Jones, Margolis, and Marquez on 2-deep over Russell, Johnson, and Taylor. Who woulda thunk?

Lawrence Stevens and Damon Hayes on 2-deep in the secondary

Still no Turay

There has been no indication Turay is being considered ready since last year as far as I can remember.

The big surprises to me are Goodwin, Jones, and Seymour despite what's been said. I guess we know it's not being done to motivate other players now.

I like it, I suspect Goodwin worked really hard and has been rewarded. Gio jumping Hayden was a surprise, but again it is refreshing to see depth not based on recruiting rankings.

Is Turay still injured?

Still recovering.

Quotes from Ash on Turay a couple weeks ago:
- "There will be a time here this fall that he'll be 100 percent, but he's not there yet."
- "He's not cleared to do a lot of things yet. He is doing some d-line drills. So to say he's game ready, he's not close.''
- "To say he could be a guy that's going to be a difference maker or a game changer, it's hard for me to say that right now.''

I must admit that I had to look up one Lawrence Stevens! Congrats to Lawrence from Lawrencville on making the 2 deep as a true freshman.

I think Goodwin is going to get a TD right away. He stays in and blocks, slips out unnoticed and catches the ball motoring in for a TD.

Last edited:
I'll be one happy camper if Laviano and Goodwin have improved as much as reported. In the past Goodwin's YAC was not as impressive as Martin's or Hicks.

I have a feeling it's not only Goodwin's hard work but also his hands that have moved to the tip of the depth chart. The RBs are going to be catching a lot of passes.

Reactions: Extra Point
Can someone explain how Hamilton is "full go" and then described as "he will play more than 50% of snaps"?

That's saying two different things.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Because we're likely going to be rotating our DL fairly heavily to keep them fresh?

Taking nto account normal rotation patterns I doubt you send your first team out 50% of the time especially dealing with your captain who's been on preseason awards lists.

Noone has given it to the fans straight regarding staff for two years. It seems as some posters alluded to Hamilton will never be the work horse we thought he would be because of this injury.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Justin Goodwin starting RB

Not really surprised by this. Hicks late start in meeting Ash's standards is well documented and Martin has been out of practice with a nagging hamstring injury. The good news is - lot of depth and experience at RB.

Taking nto account normal rotation patterns I doubt you send your first team out 50% of the time especially dealing with your captain who's been on preseason awards lists.

Noone has given it to the fans straight regarding staff for two years. It seems as some posters alluded to Hamilton will never be the work horse we thought he would be because of this injury.

In the NFL last year, the DT with the highest % of team snaps was Ndamukong Suh with 85.4%. Only 8 DTs in the NFL took more than 70% of their team's snaps. Among the 39 NFL DTs that played in all 16 regular season games last year, the snap participation rate was 54.4%

In the NFL last year, the DT with the highest % of team snaps was Ndamukong Suh with 85.4%. Only 8 DTs in the NFL took more than 70% of their team's snaps. Among the 39 NFL DTs that played in all 16 regular season games last year, the snap participation rate was 54.4%

Interesting thanks for posting. Well I hope we don't send Bateky out there for 50% of our snaps because if that's the case I'm not so sure Dline is the strength we think it will be.

In terms of our depth chart I imagine reps would not be spread as evenly as the NFL where everybody can hold their own. Our talent gap at Rutgers being in the bottom of B1G is clearly different than the NFL.

Interesting thanks for posting. Well I hope we don't send Bateky out there for 50% of our snaps because if that's the case I'm not so sure Dline is the strength we think it will be.

In terms of our depth chart I imagine reps would not be spread as evenly as the NFL where everybody can hold their own. Our talent gap at Rutgers being in the bottom of B1G is clearly different than the NFL.

My guess is that Wilkins will also play at the NT spot.

My guess is that Wilkins will also play at the NT spot.

I'm sure Wilkins will see time at both DT spots. Wilkins apparently beat out Wiafe at the NT spot, but I'd imagine Wiafe would see some minutes there, too. While Hamilton is definitely the star, there are 4-5 guys who will probably see time at DT.

Can someone explain how Hamilton is "full go" and then described as "he will play more than 50% of snaps"?

That's saying two different things.

If you get 70% of the snaps from your starting DLs, that is really good. Maybe a little more for ends, a little less for tackles. But starting DTs, based on 70 plays a game, are gonna be at around 45 plays.

Stevens at FS is really interesting. Either a very good sign because he has done so well or a bad sign that others haven't stepped up. I choose to believe the former.

Probably not a huge drop off from qb1 to qb4 so in this offense it is good to have depth there. Would like to see Gio run as he had nice runs in his high school tape and seems pretty big. Like Goody and happy for him but Martin and Hicks will all get carries, again good depth. OL nice starters, Heeman solid and probably first in at either tackle, probably same for Appelfield, and Muller to center if needed and in either position he will give the Husky DL a beat down, he is big and nasty! Need good health on the OL as we are thin. I would have expected to recruit a JUCO or two. Still disappointed Webb left, he was a load. WR somebody has to step up, and don't overuse Grant. Intrigued by Bailey but a little skeptical - hope he proves me wrong.

Dline good as is depth. It would be nice if Turay could at least get healthy enough to try to block field goals. LB's we'll have to hold our breath. They were small and bulked up so hopefully the have speed if nothing else. DB's look good, surprised Adams not on the two deep.

Scarlet glasses on, there is talent here and we now have a tougher offense to defend. If they have taught the safeties better angles we will be in good shape.

Of note:

Seymour already on the 2-deep

We have 13 OL on the roster. A couple are probably walk-ons, right? Not overly shocking that he's on the 2-deep with his size and natural abilities. Good stuff though, right?!

We have 13 OL on the roster. A couple are probably walk-ons, right? Not overly shocking that he's on the 2-deep with his size and natural abilities. Good stuff though, right?!
It's kinda hard to tell whether something like this is good or not, because it could tell us something about our previous backup LT. The fact that he jumped Taylor within a week of switching to the position is a tad alarming (I mean, it's Seymour's first time playing offense EVER), but based on Ash's comment that he has the potential to play on Sunday's, it probably is a good thing.

ADVERTISEMENT