ADVERTISEMENT

BB Recruiting Derek Simpson commits to RU

9ky2.gif

He’s very good, had a great summer. Cool to see south jersey producing some hoopers. I do wonder if we pushed for him as well to continue the Jersey pipeline. We didn’t get a NJ guy in last years class, and we didn’t offer many this year. Dom Barlow ofc would be a huge Jersey recruit, but he may be wishful thinking, he is getting recruited by the blue bloods right now. Idk how we clear four slots, but I hope we can get Ben Shtolzberg and Darren Buchanan as well, and then this would be a great class.

He’s very good, had a great summer. Cool to see south jersey producing some hoopers. I do wonder if we pushed for him as well to continue the Jersey pipeline. We didn’t get a NJ guy in last years class, and we didn’t offer many this year. Dom Barlow ofc would be a huge Jersey recruit, but he may be wishful thinking, he is getting recruited by the blue bloods right now. Idk how we clear four slots, but I hope we can get Ben Shtolzberg and Darren Buchanan as well, and then this would be a great class.
Miller
Jones
Mag
Palmquist
Omoruyi
Reiber
Mulcahy
Hyatt

There's 8. McConnell wouldn't count toward the scholarship limit if he uses his fifth year here.

There are spots open and that's not even getting into if someone transfers because they don't play much this season.

Miller
Jones
Mag
Palmquist
Omoruyi
Reiber
Mulcahy
Hyatt

There's 8. McConnell wouldn't count toward the scholarship limit if he uses his fifth year here.

There are spots open and that's not even getting into if someone transfers because they don't play much this season.
You're right, I forgot 5th year seniors don’t count towards the scholarship count. That creates five, but we keep one open usually. So four works.

Welcome to one of the Top 50 universities in the world and New Jersey’s Basketball Team !!!

Sounds like this kid was starting to blow up. It might take a few years of development but i trust in Pikiell.

Always great to bring NJ kids into the program, especially kids from areas of the state where we need to continue to build our brand as a University and Athletic department. I see way too much PSU stuff all over the Lenape Regional school district (includes Lenape, Cherokee, Shawnee and Seneca high schools).

The last South Jersey kid we had was Anthony Farmer and that was just when I started following Rutgers Athletics.

This kid will be a good player for us. Nice facilitator and floor general. Can also create his own shot and plays under control in transition. Really like this pickup.

Last edited:
This lid will be a good player for us. Nice facilitator and floor general. Can also create his own shot and plays under control in transition. Really like this pickup.
I agree. Watching his tape, he plays with a lot of confidence and has a quick release. Remember he was only a junior. He will continue to grow and mature. Played well against some top teams and he was noted as a very good free throw shooter. We could pick up 5-10 points a game with a few players that shoot free throws in the 80-90’s.

Reactions: BossNJ
This looks like it could be a very good get like this pickup for sure good find by Pike

Camera view isnt good, and the action is sloppy - but you get to see Simpson in a fast pace environment. He's #3 on the blue team

ADVERTISEMENT