ADVERTISEMENT

BB Recruiting Derek Simpson commits to RU

Worked with Simpson's father, Ron, at the NJ Division of Criminal Justice . Quality person and a good detective . Ron played High School basketball at immaculate Conception in Montclair and in college at Rider . There is an old Rutgers connection, the assistant coach at Rider then was Fred Hill, Jr.

Dad Ron graduated as Rider’s #2 all time leading scorer. Currently 7th. He still has the #1 highest ppg average at 20.9 per game.

He is in the Rider Athletics Hall of Fame. I don't remember him but it's probably because he played during an era that was a very dark period in Rutgers basketball history. My interest in the sport was at an all-time low. Link: Ron Simpson Rider Hall of Fame

Sounds like this kid was starting to blow up. It might take a few years of development but i trust in Pikiell.

Always great to bring NJ kids into the program, especially kids from areas of the state where we need to continue to build our brand as a University and Athletic department. I see way too much PSU stuff all over the Lenape Regional school district (includes Lenape, Cherokee, Shawnee and Seneca high schools).

The last South Jersey kid we had was Anthony Farmer and that was just when I started following Rutgers Athletics.
Hopefully in a decade or so sending kids to PSU will be looked at as being a traitor to the state, like Ohio kids who go to Michigan.

That seemed to be the consensus but then he had a really good summer on the showcase circuit. Arizona State recently offered.
A very good sign if he gets an offer from one of the best true point guards in College Basketball history!

You're right, I forgot 5th year seniors don’t count towards the scholarship count. That creates five, but we keep one open usually. So four works.
5th year seniors count towards scholarship limit. Always have except for this year due to free Covid year. “Super seniors” are a one time thing, though. After this year, it’s back to normal scholarship limits.

Reactions: -RUFAN4LIFE-
Any idea where to find simpsons highschool FT and shooting percentages?

That seemed to be the consensus but then he had a really good summer on the showcase circuit. Arizona State recently offered.
On the Rutgers Rant the three amigos from nj.com pointed out that Hurley probably heard from his contacts in Jersey about this kid and was told it would be a good idea to offer. Could be true. This kid could be better than we think. Hope so.

Going back to 1976, rank the worst basketball and football coaches we have had.

Craig Littlepage—bad and boring
Kyle Flood/Chris Ash ( I consider them as one since Flood burned down most of the beautiful house Schiano built and then Ash showed up with a gas tanker just to make sure the job was complete)
Eddie Jordan —did he even try ?
Terry Shea-we left America to find a guy who immediately went on vacation
Fred Hill Jr.—fill in your own jokes
Dick Anderson—seemed like a nice enough guy, but didnt seem like he ever understood how to get us over the hump

Going back to 1976, rank the worst basketball and football coaches we have had.

Craig Littlepage—bad and boring
Kyle Flood/Chris Ash ( I consider them as one since Flood burned down most of the beautiful house Schiano built and then Ash showed up with a gas tanker just to make sure the job was complete)
Eddie Jordan —did he even try ?
Terry Shea-we left America to find a guy who immediately went on vacation
Fred Hill Jr.—fill in your own jokes
Dick Anderson—seemed like a nice enough guy, but didnt seem like he ever understood how to get us over the hump
Dick Anderson was very underrated. Look at the facilities and support structure he had to work with. And he beat Michigan State and Penn State on the road.

Reactions: RC71 and rufeelinit
I knew what he was getting at, but it's misleading. Rutgers had ONLY three losing seasons during the 1980s ('85-'88), all under Littlepage. Otherwise, they made a few trips to the NCAA tournament and the NIT.
Weird take. Was referring to the Littlepage era only - not the end of Young or beginning of Wenzel.

Weird take. Was referring to the Littlepage era only - not the end of Young or beginning of Wenzel.
I saw it as a broad take on basketball for the entire decade. I just wanted to be clear on that. On this Rutgers site, that is the norm. Shea's era in football has grown from the late 90s to include all of the 90s and even the 80s under Anderson. Perception somehow has more power than reality.

Last edited:
Anderson put some solid teams on the field and was a good coach. But he was never going to get us there because of his recruiting ability, or lack thereof.

Anderson put some solid teams on the field and was a good coach. But he was never going to get us there because of his recruiting ability, or lack thereof.
I really think that if Doug Graber had more academic support and caught a couple of breaks with regard to bowls, he would have been successful. Under the current bowl system, he may have gone bowling three times which would have eliminated a strike against him on the recruiting trail.

I really think that if Doug Graber had more academic support and caught a couple of breaks with regard to bowls, he would have been successful. Under the current bowl system, he may have gone bowling three times which would have eliminated a strike against him on the recruiting trail.
Graber overcame a lot of the negative recruiting when you look at the players he signed. What hurt Graber was the limited number of bowl games at the time. I think it was something like 15 total compared to 40 now. Graber would have gone bowling more than once, and his recruiting would have really taken off. When it comes to academic support, it was a joke. After Graber's first year, he tried to get former players (Marty Mayes) to help Mr. Barrows with academic support because the school wasn't offering any.

Last edited:
The Littlepage three years was completely deplorable. Many of us had great hope when he was hired for the success he had at the Univ of Pennsylvania. It was such a letdown as it seemed most games were over at halftime. We went from 16-14 in Tom Young's last year to 8-20, 8-21 and 7-22. I even attended a gathering I think in Somerset with my wife when RU hired Littlepage. We all got to meet him and I still have the mug that was given out to everyone who attended. It is a collector's item and we had big hopes for RU.

Reactions: S.W.A.I.N
The Littlepage three years was completely deplorable. Many of us had great hope when he was hired for the success he had at the Univ of Pennsylvania. It was such a letdown as it seemed most games were over at halftime. We went from 16-14 in Tom Young's last year to 8-20, 8-21 and 7-22. I even attended a gathering I think in Somerset with my wife when RU hired Littlepage. We all got to meet him and I still have the mug that was given out to everyone who attended. It is a collector's item and we had big hopes for RU.
I agree, it’s never been worse that it was under Littlepage he was recruiting at a high D2 to patriot League level (No offense intended since he is a good guy, but Zucker would have killed it at Lehigh).

Reading k1212’s post maybe I should be a bit softer on Littlepage… after all as he points out he did win 23 games (over THREE seasons) 😉. I remember he was sold as a master recruiter 😳 since he was credited with landing Ralph Sampson at UVA.

I agree, it’s never been worse that it was under Littlepage he was recruiting at a high D2 to patriot League level (No offense intended since he is a good guy, but Zucker would have killed it at Lehigh).

Reading k1212’s post maybe I should be a bit softer on Littlepage… after all as he points out he did win 23 games (over THREE seasons) 😉. I remember he was sold as a master recruiter 😳 since he was credited with landing Ralph Sampson at UVA.
Speaking of Ralph Sampson, for some reason I can't see "Derek Simpson" without thinking of former NBA player (and father of singer India Arie) Ralph Simpson, not to be confused with Ralph Sampson. I don't know why. It's not like there's someone named Derek Sampson.

Didn't realize just how good of a shooter his dad was: 47.2% from 3-point range on over 350 attempts as a junior/senior. Hope some of that got passed down.

Didn't realize just how good of a shooter his dad was: 47.2% from 3-point range on over 350 attempts as a junior/senior. Hope some of that got passed down.
All set shots back then

ADVERTISEMENT