ADVERTISEMENT

Derek Simpson

Simpson won't be a freshman next year. Silly to use his current stats as a predictor for next season.
What should you use? Imagination?
Geo's best 3 point shooting year was his freshman year and he played 5 years
Ron Harper .278 as a FR .349 as a Soph .071 improvement
If Simpson improves as much as Ron, he'd still be under 30% as a Soph

Reactions: RUsojo and kcg88
I’ve been very excited about Simpson since the day he committed and he showed more flash/speed this year than I expected.

I think folks need to pump the breaks a bit on anointing him starting PG next year though.

Can he be it - potentially…but that might be asking a lot from the kid by next year and I could easily see a lot of people turning on him if he struggles with his decision making and ball protection.

Fair point. Seems like he’s most comfortable under the pressure. He shows a bit of Geos confidence and swagger. That camera staredown after the dunk at UM was fantastic. He’ll need some muscle though.

Reactions: S_Janowski
Based on what? Certainly not how Simpson played this year.
Simpson 36% overall 21% from 3. Cam 44% overall, 42% from 3
That's an enormous difference
Kids don't always shoot that well as freshmen. You can't look at that this year's numbers as an indicator of how well he'll shoot going forward. He has great form and was an outstanding shooter in HS. He'll be that again.

Over the last 10 games where he started playing real meaningful minutes and down the stretch he shot 40.5%. Last 10 games are really the ones that matter going forward IMO.

Agree his 3 pt shooting needs to be better but we dont need him to be a good three point shooter with Cam and Gavin
Simpson 3 point percentage his last 10 games (not counting tonight) was .176 and that includes a 3/5 vs Indiana
That's the guy people want starting at Point Guard and as a primary offensive option?
Silly.

Simpson 3 point percentage his last 10 games (not counting tonight) was .176 and that includes a 3/5 vs Indiana
That's the guy people want starting at Point Guard and as a primary offensive option?
Silly.
I did say it needed to be better but you dont need your point guard raining 3s when you have two other guys who can shoot to your point of cams 3 pt %.

We need derek to FACILITATE the offense. Not be the offense. His 3 pt shooting will improve. But you cant not say the offense operated better with him on the floor. It was glaringly obvious, that doesn’t necessarily show up on the stat sheet

I've said it in other threads, but will say it again. I'd like to see more distribution to his teammates when driving before I give him the keys to the offense.
He has to perfect the lob to Cliff . It is there all day when a big comes over to meet him when he meets his man. He also has to learn to jump stop and not charge at the end. Otherwise he will be real good. Got to get his defense going as well

I did say it needed to be better but you dont need your point guard raining 3s when you have two other guys who can shoot to your point of cams 3 pt %.

We need derek to FACILITATE the offense. Not be the offense. His 3 pt shooting will improve. But you cant not say the offense operated better with him on the floor. It was glaringly obvious, that doesn’t necessarily show up on the stat sheet
And im talking the flow of the offense. Getting people set, running the plays fast and efficiently etc.

When he is on the floor the offense flows, where when paul was running the offense it was like watching stop and go traffic

The shooting percentages were for anyone saying he should be a top option on the offense.
Yes, our offense was better with him on the floor the last few games.
We lost 8 out of the last 11 games.

Simpson most assists on the team tonight. For any morons saying he should share the ball more. Also had 19 points. Maybe you should have shared the ball more to Paul so he could airball another three
Derek had 4 assists but 4 turnovers. Paul was 5-2. Derek needs to get cleaner with the ball which I expect he will.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
You can go back and have plenty of games were Paul was the man down the stretch and he made winning plays.

Simpson had the wrong read in the final possession in OT. It was an essentially a 2 on 1 and then center committed to Derek. A lot to ask a freshman.

this, its a big spot for a freshmen, surprised Pike went there

Reactions: RW90
He just needs to facilitate. Doesnt necessarily need to go for 15-20 every night (given we have others who can score which this year we didnth
Who else is going to score on this team? Cam ok I agree and they fed cliff the entire first half. Paul and Caleb are not scorers and are problem down the stretch was no one could score. He is a freshman and is our best player at getting his own shot. He started the last 3 games of the season and avg 16.7 points and just over 2 assists. Needs to find more assist ok I agree but give him two other shooters to pass the ball too. He’s is not afraid of the moment helps create space on the floor. It’s not a coincidence Cam had 3 big game in all of his starts. His dribble drive penetration creates double teams and forces the defense to rotate which gives Cam space to cut and get open.

You can go back and have plenty of games were Paul was the man down the stretch and he made winning plays.

Simpson had the wrong read in the final possession in OT. It was an essentially a 2 on 1 and then center committed to Derek. A lot to ask a freshman.
Paul can’t not get to the basket or get around his defender and is a terrible shooter. He definitely has found open looks for teammates late (Cam at Purdue) but Simpson is just better at handling the ball , leaping, finishing, getting to the rim, midrange foul line jumper and yes the here ball as well. One is a freshman avg 17 points in 3 tournament games the other a senior who hasn’t been himself since msu game.

Reactions: ScarletDave
Based on what? Certainly not how Simpson played this year.
Simpson 36% overall 21% from 3. Cam 44% overall, 42% from 3
That's an enormous difference
You know Paul avg 3 points as a freshman and everyone loves him. To post his freshman stat line and use that as a baseline for next year is lazy. Look at the kids 3 starts. All 3 came in tournament play. Each game was better then the previous . Tonight 19 pts 4 assts on 50 percent from the field.

Reactions: satnom and Rokodesh
Simpson is a combo guard. He's a ball dominate attacking scoring guard mainly... at least so far

Paul is a facilitator. It's a decent combo to have

Davis I think is a blend of the two but he's a true freshman. Playing at a high level HS probably helps so maybe he can give solid bench minutes as a freshman. I expect he will

Then we have Warren and maybe Dylan/Teng. Better guard play is on the way

Silly.
Absolutely yes! Are options were him or Paul! 16.7 points in his 3 starts all in tournament play and his fg percentages improved 50 percent last night. Watch the teams offense the last 3 games vs the previous 8 with him not starting. Offense far better in the last 3 and on the previous 8. More flow more spacing and in the previous 8 he single handed won the PSU game. Watch his form compared to Paul(air balled his 3) or Caleb. I want Cam shooting every time but if not Cam I am good with the kid shooting the 3. One for 3 tonight big one in OT.

Derek had 4 assists but 4 turnovers. Paul was 5-2. Derek needs to get cleaner with the ball which I expect he will
Paul off the ball far less time running the offense or with the ball in his hands so he should have less turnovers but I agree DS has to clean up the turnovers. The offense stalled the last 8 games the change was necessary and should have happened far sooner.

Paul last 3 games on the ball running point
0-6 fg 0-2 3pt 1 turnover 1 assist
2-8 fg 0-2 3 pt 2 turnovers 3 assist
2-9 fg 0-3 3pt 3 turnovers 4 assist

Reactions: satnom
Over the last 10 games where he started playing real meaningful minutes and down the stretch he shot almost 41%. Last 10 games are really the ones that matter going forward IMO.

Agree his 3 pt shooting needs to be better but we dont need him to be a good three point shooter with Cam and Gavin
Look up Rocket Watts' last ten games as a freshman at Michigan State.

If Simpson can't shoot then every opponent is going to play drop coverage on him and stop him from going downhill. He needs to be able to make three pointers to force defenders to go over screens against him.

Paul can’t not get to the basket or get around his defender and is a terrible shooter. He definitely has found open looks for teammates late (Cam at Purdue) but Simpson is just better at handling the ball , leaping, finishing, getting to the rim, midrange foul line jumper and yes the here ball as well. One is a freshman avg 17 points in 3 tournament games the other a senior who hasn’t been himself since msu game.
There is little doubt that Paul isn’t himself right now. Pike went with the right guy last night. That guy just made the wrong read.

First and foremost I have some words to eat - about 2 months ago I claimed that Paul needs to facilitate the offense because “our offense was at its best when the ball is in his hands.” Good lord was I horribly wrong (maybe at the time I was right but certainly not at the end of season.)

Now onto Derek - he is the player that I wanted Paul to be and what I incorrectly expected from. He is quick off the dribble which allows him to dish to cliff, look to score or draw guys in to kick out for a 3. He was underused at the end of the season IMO.

He is where the offense needs to flow through next season and beyond. Someone like Griffiths will feast with a drive and kick point guard.

I am proud of this young man Derek. We have a point guard, folks.
And Cam as we will actually have 2 guys that can shoot next year

Reactions: KnightLife1994
Last night there wasn’t any possible candidates. Right play call, but player didn’t make the best decision.
I appreciate and respect your opinion but we act as if Cliff has great hands and would not have fumbled it. Like he did on the rebound last play of 2nd half as an example. Shot was down it came out but also good with trying to see if cliff could finish

Great at penetrating and fearless but he needs to develop his pass game. He takes a lot of shots.

That last shot should’ve gone to Cam.

Great at penetrating and fearless but he needs to develop his pass game. He takes a lot of shots.

That last shot should’ve gone to Cam.
Why does he took so many shots? The offense stalled completely and was unwatchable and we were in a complete meltdown. Pike and Knight inserted him into the game to score the ball. We needed offense and he was told to score the ball and get to the rim. I am good with going to cam on that last shot but Pike did not draw that up so that’s on the coach not the kid. As we hopefully bring in scorers and shooters Pike hopefully will have the Him look to facilitate more.

If Simpson can't shoot then every opponent is going to play drop coverage on him and stop him from going downhill. He needs to be able to make three pointers to force defenders to go over screens against him.
Don’t know where the narrative he can’t shoot is coming from. He had 19 points and shot 50%. I mean just insane for a freshman. Also hit a clutch 3 in OT down by 4 with like a minute left. The last shot ball bounced on the rim 3 times and out almost impossible ti do. Lady Luck wasn’t on our side this year but Simpson can definitely shoot

That said I am cautiously optimistic about his shooting. His dad was a terrific shooter, his form isn't broken (he looks a lot smoother than Caleb and Miller), and he was a decent shooter in high school.

Don’t know where the narrative he can’t shoot is coming from. He had 19 points and shot 50%. I mean just insane for a freshman. Also hit a clutch 3 in OT down by 4 with like a minute left. The last shot ball bounced on the rim 3 times and out almost impossible ti do. Lady Luck wasn’t on our side this year but Simpson can definitely shoot
The narrative that he can't shoot is coming from the fact he was basically as bad as bad of a shooter as Caleb was this year.

McConnell 13-64
Simpson 13-60

The narrative that he can't shoot is coming from the fact he was basically as bad as bad of a shooter as Caleb was this year.

McConnell 13-64
Simpson 13-60
Freshman being used wrong all season off the ball.
6 th year senior

Look forward to DS numbers in his senior year .

Shot 50 percent last night 19 points

How many games in Calebs entire career did he score 19 or more on 50 percent from the field?

Lastly not hating on Caleb. He is by far my favorite player in the last 30 years. I will miss watching him play Defense.

Reactions: KnightLife1994
Freshman being used wrong all season off the ball.
6 th year senior

Look forward to DS numbers in his senior year .

Shot 50 percent last night 19 points

How many games in Calebs entire career did he score 19 or more on 50 percent from the field?

Lastly not hating on Caleb. He is by far my favorite player in the last 30 years. I will miss watching him play Defense.
We literally went through this exact thing with Caleb and how he played against Notre Dame last year. One game sample sizes are about the worst thing you can use.

We literally went through this exact thing with Caleb and how he played against Notre Dame last year. One game sample sizes are about the worst thing you can use.
Ok your right I apologize he is a freshman so sample sizes will be hard. He had 3 starts playing on the ball all in tournament play. Avg 16.7 points he has good form and as he gets more time used properly I anticipate those shooting numbers to increase.

Reactions: ScarletDave
Ok your right I apologize he is a freshman so sample sizes will be hard. He had 3 starts playing on the ball all in tournament play. Avg 16.7 points he has good form and as he gets more time used properly I anticipate those shooting numbers to increase.
I'm cautiously optimistic, I just don't think Simpson's presence should deter Pikiell and the staff from pursuing a transfer PG.

Silly.
He was 1-3 against Indiana not 3-5 . Don’t have time to look up all of the game but you may have been mixing and matching his numbers. They could be better or worse. But definitely wrong about Indiana

I'm cautiously optimistic, I just don't think Simpson's presence should deter Pikiell and the staff from pursuing a transfer PG.
Yes, this is it. A mature guy who can shoot the 3, share the ball, run an offense and hold his own on defense.
A slightly more athletic version of Cam Spencer as a point guard

Yes, this is it. A mature guy who can shoot the 3, share the ball, run an offense and hold his own on defense.
A slightly more athletic version of Cam Spencer as a point guard
That sounds like Xander Rice, who I wouldn't mind. I'd prefer a Tyree Appleby type but understandably guys of that caliber are looking to go somewhere where they'll be The Man for 32 minutes a night and that's not the role we're offering up.

ADVERTISEMENT