ADVERTISEMENT

Development of the Hub is presumably stalled?

RUSK97

Heisman Winner
Dec 28, 2007
CNJ
Big project with very significant capital investment. But did NB foot the bill for demolition and environmental clean-up of the site? I'm a bit surprised they moved on closing down and destroying Ferren Mall without having solid plans/funds/developer in place for the new project.

Reactions: RUskoolie
Big project with very significant capital investment. But did NB foot the bill for demolition and environmental clean-up of the site? I'm a bit surprised they moved on closing down and destroying Ferren Mall without having solid plans/funds/developer in place for the new project.
I'm going to assume that they didn't want to continue to pay the cost of maintenance on the old ferren deck when they were investing in the new deck/Wellness Center next door

I thought they were going full steam ahead but that project has been dead for at least 18 months. Looks like a large sand box. I recall them being 100k away on a deal to buy the Wells Fargo plot of land.

Idk why Mayor Cahill and Governor Murphy don't put their heads together and try to attract a major corporation at that location. 20 years with no corporate income tax would likely do it and it would be a tremendous windfall to the city.

Reactions: Zak57
From Route 18, you can see a HUGE crane above the New Brunswick skyline. Do any of you know what project that is for ?

From Route 18, you can see a HUGE crane above the New Brunswick skyline. Do any of you know what project that is for ?
Not sure, but I believe it’s for a midrise apartment complex situated on New Street. It’s sandwiched between the Elks Lodge on Livingston Ave and the Heldrich. Development not linked to Devco.

Reactions: Korbermeister
I wonder if all the new buildings aimed at housing Rutgers upperclassmen are starting to filter kids out of the old houses around town.

I wonder if all the new buildings aimed at housing Rutgers upperclassmen are starting to filter kids out of the old houses around town.
I think that was part of the aim, right? Not sure if that’s a good or bad thing. It should however (hopefully) put a little bit of pressure on the slum lords to reinvest in fixing up those decrepit houses.

RUSK,
With the thousands of Rutgers staff in Piscataway/New Brunswick, you would think some would want to buy houses IF they are spruced up.--I used to work with a woman whose kid lived in one of the houses in town. Don't know how they got away with it,but the landlord thought four kids lived there and at times it was up to 11 actually there.

Student housing complex being built right next door to SoCam (formerly Rockoff Hall). IMO they will lose their shirt.

There have been strong vacancies in that neighborhood this year when the number was practically zero. The first time in a long long time I'm told.

Now the problem becomes who moves into these piss poor houses? Section 8 and poor minorities are really the only rental clients in New Brunswick when it comes to lower end stuff and the houses are priced too high to get most Millenials/Gen Z who want to live in a re-gentrifying area and buy a starter home.

Student housing complex being built right next door to SoCam (formerly Rockoff Hall). IMO they will lose their shirt.

There have been strong vacancies in that neighborhood this year when the number was practically zero. The first time in a long long time I'm told.

Now the problem becomes who moves into these piss poor houses? Section 8 and poor minorities are really the only rental clients in New Brunswick when it comes to lower end stuff and the houses are priced too high to get most Millenials/Gen Z who want to live in a re-gentrifying area and buy a starter home.

What neighborhood? 5th and 6th ward?

Reactions: RUskoolie

anecdotal evidence from walking around tells me that many neighboring homes on Hamilton at and Guilden st are owned by the same companies. Where they're poised to invest in more modern buildings (or sell to a developer with deeper pockets ) if/when the current market falls below projected profit goals

anecdotal evidence from walking around tells me that many neighboring homes on Hamilton at and Guilden st are owned by the same companies. Where they're poised to invest in more modern buildings (or sell to a developer with deeper pockets ) if/when the current market falls below projected profit goals

The developers are done developing for now. The market is getting over developed and that 600 bed building on Hamilton and Easton isn’t even half built yet. Between that, the new building on New St and some other stuff in the pipelines it will be very interesting to see how those neighborhoods shift in the next 5 years.

Reactions: Korbermeister
ADVERTISEMENT