ADVERTISEMENT

Diamond Johnson

Just wondering: how do the NCAA rules apply to a second transfer? I thought that you were only allowed one transfer where you don't have to sit out a year, unless you were a graduate student. Does anyone know?

According to Voepel/ESPN; "Johnson has two years of eligibility left with the COVID-19 waiver from 2020-21. She is not currently listed in the portal as a graduate transfer, which would make her immediately eligible for next season. Thus, she may need a waiver from the NCAA to play in 2023-24 because she has already transferred once."

Reactions: runrutgersrun
Wow!! Surprising, but not surprising. She had some difficulty adjusting her game to the style of play that Wes employs there. They have the other guards there, Rivers and James, Zoe Brooks on the way. The spotlight will definitely be shared.

Diamond's style actually is a perfect fit for the offensive style CoachQuese used this past season. Uptempo,... get a shot up early in the clock.... Spread set, create off dribble penetration.

Oh, BTW, I can't see her leaving the big stage to go to a Temple or Penn State. She's going to another elite P5 if she doesn't decide to come play for CoachQuese like she should so we can be elite again, this year.

Last edited:
Diamond was actually the last guard I saw outshine Caitlin Clark in a head to head matchup. When she was here at RU, at Iowa IIRC.

Our old friend Diamond Johnson enters the transfer portal. I guess NC State wasn't her cup of tea either.
Wow!! Surprising, but not surprising. She had some difficulty adjusting her game to the style of play that Wes employs there. They have the other guards there, Rivers and James, Zoe Brooks on the way. The spotlight will definitely be shared.

Diamond's style actually is a perfect fit for the offensive style CoachQuese used this past season. Uptempo,... get a shot up early in the clock.... Spread set, create off dribble penetration.

Oh, BTW, I can't see her leaving the big stage to go to a Temple or Penn State. She's going to another elite P5 if she doesn't decide to come play for CoachQuese like she should so we can be elite again, this year.
I would love for coach to bring her back

Rumors elsewhere indicate what someone said above, she is hard to keep happy. Actually, according to the NC State fan, she "doesn't like to be coached". Who knows? Not I.

Yes, the NCAA has announced much stricter 2nd transfer rules. I would be surprised if she doesn't have to sit out.

Rumors elsewhere indicate what someone said above, she is hard to keep happy. Actually, according to the NC State fan, she "doesn't like to be coached". Who knows? Not I.

Yes, the NCAA has announced much stricter 2nd transfer rules. I would be surprised if she doesn't have to sit out.
Explains why should couldn't play for CVS. Coach Washington seems much easier to play for and her style matches Diamond's preferred way to play. Hope she comes back home!

I think it would be hard for Johnson to come back to a program she had left even if there was a coaching change.
Also after not finding happiness when here before and at her last stop,
would it be worth a chance, talent considered, to try and get her back hoping she'll be a positive influence for the team if she starts to question
how she's being used and how the team looks on the floor.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Explains why should couldn't play for CVS. Coach Washington seems much easier to play for and her style matches Diamond's preferred way to play. Hope she comes back home!
Reflecting back to Diamonds initial days with us, she commented on one of the promotional videos that CVS was big on "details". I said it then, that her body language in the video was saying that she wasn't really feeling it. I was hoping it wouldn't lead to transfer. Eventually, it probably was a little bit of that but moreso feeling like she couldn't get that spotlight she sought at RU (as we've stated more than a few times on this board) .

I thought her struggles adjusting last season would serve as the thing that made her feel differently about those "details". I hope those "uncoachable" rumors are untrue.

I would be happy if she came back. I think she is a very serious person who doesn’t show a lot of outward emotion. She just wants to get the job done and is hard on herself and others.

BIG, BIG move! Diamond decides to join Norfolk State University! 😮

Bold move. I like her style.

Joins an excellent program with a quality Head Coach. Wishing her all the best at her new home.

BIG, BIG move! Diamond decides to join Norfolk State University! 😮

Bold move. I like her style.

Joins an excellent program with a quality Head Coach. Wishing her all the best at her new home.
Are you serious? Where did you see this? I had to google it. If she had to settle for this school something is very fishy. Bold move? I say desperate move as in her rep at RU, and NC State was that she was quite a problem. I'm really shocked.

That doesn't answer much. Seems like an odd choice to me...also thought she'd have to sit out a year?

Confusing choice in my opinion. There seems to be a part of the story that is missing.

I don’t see this as a bold move. Norfolk state is one of the weakest academic HBCU’s out there. And the MEAC is a ghost land for talent that will prepare her for the next level. If that is truly what she wants.

I was a fan of Diamond when she was here. And was in her camp when she had difficulties in the locker room. But this is a girl running from people that hold her accountable.

If it works for he , all well and good
It's her decision and since she decided to leave Rutgers I just wish her an injury free college career and hope she earns her degree ( somewhere)
With the talent she's supposed to posse , this move is a headscratcher to me, but it's her decision for better or worse.

Guess the hype she had entering college and RU lamenting losing her
means nothing now, it seems like Diamond Johnson might be one of those players that find it hard to fit in with major programs despite the talent they possess and need to find more stress free environments to play and thrive in

Bold move? I say desperate move as in her rep at RU, and NC State was that she was quite a problem.
I highly doubt it was a desperation move. There are plenty of coaches that would love to bring her into their program. Basketball-wise, I just think she hadn't chosen the right school(coach) based on the style of play that she wants to play. There are teams that play like she wants to,.....RU(CVS) and NC St(Wes M) just did not happen to be in that group. This move is one that, IMO, can be very good for her.

The ironic thing that I think Diamond may have come to realize, is that you can get the stage, camaraderie, success, etc that student athletes chase by turning to the established, elite programs,..... it can all be had with an even greater sense of satisfaction/reward when you build it wherever you fit. I had hoped she would have taken the keys to the car when here at RU and made the stage lights come on while lighting up the Big10 comp.

Meanwhile, Norfolk is a WBB program that is at the top of its' conference already. The coach is highly regarded amongst his peers. This lends itself to Norfolk having an excellent chance of being in the NCAA Tourney again. I think, the past few years has Diamond thinking out of the box on this decision(inspired by the Princetons, Fairleigh Dickinsons, St Peters, Florida Atlantics and also the Deon Sanders and JSUs).

Reactions: Ray6232010
ADVERTISEMENT