ADVERTISEMENT

Did PSU Actually Give a Full Release to Suriano-This Article Would Make it Appear That They Did Not

FoxRU

Junior
Gold Member
Apr 7, 2012
I cringe at the thought of starting yet another thread on the Nick Suriano transfer saga but I ran across this ESPN article that seems to state that the BIG Conference Transfer rule will be waived if the athlete is given a full release by the school the individual is transferring from. The article may have its facts wrong but it seems pretty clearly to be the case according to them and they site examples. In this case it would appear that the transfer hinges on PSU as much as the reasons for the transfer.

http://www.espn.com/blog/collegebas.../58173/big-ten-makes-changes-to-transfer-rule

I cringe at the thought of starting yet another thread on the Nick Suriano transfer saga but I ran across this ESPN article that seems to state that the BIG Conference Transfer rule will be waived if the athlete is given a full release by the school the individual is transferring from. The article may have its facts wrong but it seems pretty clearly to be the case according to them and they site examples. In this case it would appear that the transfer hinges on PSU as much as the reasons for the transfer.

http://www.espn.com/blog/collegebas.../58173/big-ten-makes-changes-to-transfer-rule
Later in the article, the B10 Conference rule is quoted in full. There it is clear that the "full release" is a complete release from the signed National Letter of Intent and applies only to pre-matriculation.

All that article proved was that Katz was a poor writer in 2012.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hotshoe
Good catch. What's weird, though, is that there is nothing about the Post Matriculation Waiver for anything besides basically the sport being dropped here. I wonder if the waiver criteria was added later. This article is from 2012.

Good catch. What's weird, though, is that there is nothing about the Post Matriculation Waiver for anything besides basically the sport being dropped here. I wonder if the waiver criteria was added later. This article is from 2012.

It's not weird, because the sport being dropped is specified as one of two stated exceptions to the rule. It's not grounds for a waiver and waivers, I believe, will be granted only in limited and exceptional circumstances.

ADVERTISEMENT