ADVERTISEMENT

Didn't know you could earn an undergrad degree on-line at PSU

When I was in the University Senate, there was fierce opposition by the faculty to even a hint of on-line programs. Faculty were concerned that the online courses would be taught by non-faculty and would undercut tenured faculty.

When I was in the University Senate, there was fierce opposition by the faculty to even a hint of on-line programs. Faculty were concerned that the online courses would be taught by non-faculty and would undercut tenured faculty.
So, screw the students and university, RU's paranoid faculty needs to protect their gravy.

Last edited:
A secretary in the office (who is an N.J. resident) mentioned that her daughter, newly graduated from an N.J. community college, will do this program. I didn't know it existed. Such a thing would be resisted by faculty at Rutgers. Is it the wave of the future? I wonder.

https://www.worldcampus.psu.edu/degrees-and-certificates

I was generally aware of PS World Campus through their various marketing/advertising efforts (e.g. commercials on BTN and billboards when driving around parts of PA) but my perception, which may very well be off, is that it was geared toward "non-traditional" students. I suppose that term is much broader nowadays and applicable to a wider variety of potential students.

Without researching the tuition structure further, if it's much more for O-O-S than for PA residents, I'm not sure sure I see the draw to pay that difference even if it provides the flexibility of completing the entire degree online since a few public institutions in NJ offer that too (even if not Rutgers).

I was generally aware of PS World Campus through their various marketing/advertising efforts (e.g. commercials on BTN and billboards when driving around parts of PA) but my perception, which may very well be off, is that it was geared toward "non-traditional" students. I suppose that term is much broader nowadays and applicable to a wider variety of potential students.

Without researching the tuition structure further, if it's much more for O-O-S than for PA residents, I'm not sure sure I see the draw to pay that difference even if it provides the flexibility of completing the entire degree online since a few public institutions in NJ offer that too (even if not Rutgers).

I didn't ask the secretary,but my guess is that some students, even community college grads, want to stay at home. As a Rutgers secretary, the child would have gotten free tuition, so there must be some reason that's very important to the secretary and her daughter.

A secretary in the office (who is an N.J. resident) mentioned that her daughter, newly graduated from an N.J. community college, will do this program. I didn't know it existed. Such a thing would be resisted by faculty at Rutgers. Is it the wave of the future? I wonder.

https://www.worldcampus.psu.edu/degrees-and-certificates

This is the wave of the present. On-line students is how Arizona State and Liberty each boast 50,000+ student bodies. Purdue just bought an on-line college and rebranded it Purdue Global. Johnny Manziel was enrolled in all on-line courses while playing at aTm. The old school brick and mortar colleges don't like it, but hundreds of them at least offer some courses on-line.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT