ADVERTISEMENT

Didn't see this one coming...

Freddie is a good dude who loves Rutgers, just wasn’t a HC. He wasn’t ready to manage the team.

FIG took advantage of him big time

Reactions: RU-ROCS and RU_DIO
As awful as things were, I find it interesting to hear what the conversation would be about. I doubt it will touch on the issues here at RU, but likely where the program is today.

It is humbling and somewhat difficult for past coaches to return to the place where they worked and see things drastically better now than a decade ago.

Reactions: czxqa
Fred Hill Jr occupies one of the strangest and indellible spots EVER in the mind of me as a fan and alum.

Down 25-7 in Nov 2006, ray rice takes a pitch to the left sideline and gallops into the endzone to cut the lead to 11 before halftime. And who is there to greet him in the endzone? F-ing Fred Hill Jr!

Everytime I watch that game and play and see that guy there its like a paradox in my mind. He did look very excited, I will give him that. Guy obviously loves Rutgers

One of my proudest moments was when I yelled jersey hates you, among other things how I felt about his time here and his current job, as he walked out after we beat SHU pikes first time and he flipped me off

That is a spectacular story. I would trade that for when I got Devendorf to start coming at me when I was in the student section.

Fred Hill Jr occupies one of the strangest and indellible spots EVER in the mind of me as a fan and alum.

Down 25-7 in Nov 2006, ray rice takes a pitch to the left sideline and gallops into the endzone to cut the lead to 11 before halftime. And who is there to greet him in the endzone? F-ing Fred Hill Jr!

Everytime I watch that game and play and see that guy there its like a paradox in my mind. He did look very excited, I will give him that. Guy obviously loves Rutgers

Yup. Very memorable for me as well. Also right before Fred's first game as a head coach here.

Don't understand why people wouldn't listen. He'll have a perspective that very very few interview subjects would. One as a head coach of our beloved Scarlet Knights. Hopefully he is reflective of his time and gives some interesting stories on the "woulda, coulda, shouldas" and will provide a unique take on the program. I mean it has to be one of the most interesting topics in college topics ... why RU athletics has been absolutely struggle city for the better part of 4 decades.

Got it. Thanks.
How did they take advantage?

I heard FHJ was a terrible leader, failed to show at team or coaches social events, couldn't run or control a staff meeting, etc.
Not going to get into details, but just a rotten group that needed a disciplinarian and FHJ definitely was not that.

It actually makes complete sense that we followed up FHJ with someone like Rice.

Reactions: Loyal_2RU
The guy got his dream job and one shot at a head coaching job, failed and was fired. I don’t have any ill will for this guy and I hope he doesn’t have any ill will for Rutgers either, a decade after being shown the door by Pernetti.

Anyone that wants to talk Rutgers basketball, I’m all in.

My friends who were recruited by Freddie and their parents love him. I've always had nice conversations with him at social gatherings.

He's a good coach, just not a good Head Coach.

Rice would be a great interview -- and he's very good to listen too.

Problem is not sure if he would get into all the stuff that you would want to hear, namely the whole Murdoch saga (why did you hire him, what was his deal, how would you have handled things differently with him).

He has many times expressed regret for how his downfall at Rutgers happened. I know if he had been properly managed, we would have been ranked and in the tourney a few years earlier for sure. He should have never been hired given the way he was managed. He needed to be closely monitored and was not.

Life’s too short to worry about that putz. It’s too bad he’s Moose’s son.

giphy.gif

Reactions: RUHouston
I was at the snow storm game vs Marquette where Douby absolutely dominated and coached by Fred Jr because Waters could not get back in time because he was being honored by Cleveland St. Everyone wanted Gary gone. We all got our wish. I was very wrong. No ill will but Fred Jr was not even close to being ready for prime time. How did the front office not see this?

I was at the snow storm game vs Marquette where Douby absolutely dominated and coached by Fred Jr because Waters could not get back in time because he was being honored by Cleveland St. Everyone wanted Gary gone. We all got our wish. I was very wrong. No ill will but Fred Jr was not even close to being ready for prime time. How did the front office not see this?

That was still a Gary coached team. I said it at the time. I was ashamed of the firing and how Mulcahy did it.

The guy got his dream job and one shot at a head coaching job, failed and was fired. I don’t have any ill will for this guy and I hope he doesn’t have any ill will for Rutgers either, a decade after being shown the door by Pernetti.

Anyone that wants to talk Rutgers basketball, I’m all in.

He wasn’t fired because he failed . He should have been. Pernetti cluelessly thought hill was doing a good job and and was keeping him on. He was fired because he was an ass at a Rutgers baseball game .

Wanted Gary gone, sure . But that didn’t mean we wanted hill. I remember mccaffery being available.

He wasn’t fired because he failed . He should have been. Pernetti cluelessly thought hill was doing a good job and and was keeping him on. He was fired because he was an ass at a Rutgers baseball game .
You can't possibly believe that. You don't fire a coach just because he's an ass at a baseball game. Pernetti needed an excuse to get rid of him in the midst of a major budget crisis and the baseball thing was best he could come up with. Wasn't his hire in the first place so it wasn't like Hill was "his" guy like Rice was.

That is not correct. Pernetti wanted to fire Hill, the President wouldn’t let him. Tim used the baseball incident as cause to fire him.

Reactions: ColonelRutgers
ADVERTISEMENT