ADVERTISEMENT

Dinner Suggestions for Tonight

RU Leonard 23

All American
Sep 9, 2010
Hey all-

Realize I can google, but looking for a recommendation. It's been awhile since I've been to a game and I'm going tonight. We usually always hit up Applebees prior to the game, but the girlfriend isn't a fan haha.

Any recommendations in Piscataway for dinner? We'd be somewhat restricted on time (arriving at 6:30) and would like a place with a bar.

Appreciate it!!

i would lightly recommend Gabrielles if you are looking for sports bar atmosphere and not five star dining. just don't order anything too complex and ignore the sometimes distant wait staff. (it's a shame the staff was much better looking five years ago, not sure what happened)

Hey all-

Realize I can google, but looking for a recommendation. It's been awhile since I've been to a game and I'm going tonight. We usually always hit up Applebees prior to the game, but the girlfriend isn't a fan haha.

Any recommendations in Piscataway for dinner? We'd be somewhat restricted on time (arriving at 6:30) and would like a place with a bar.

Appreciate it!!

Great choices here:

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/ot-lunch-recommendation-for-sat.159643/

BrickHouse Tavern was the winner.

Reactions: ScarletDave
Anyone ever go to the River Road Tavern by Quick Check?
Yes! It has been a local hole for decades you’d never go to. But the owners are trying to bring it to life. They brought in a beer guy so surprising craft beer selection. Finally sat down at the bar before a rutgers basketball game last November. Been back a few times since for beer. Small but starting to get a following other than locals (although there are still plenty). Food was pub food and actually better than I would have guessed, though my expectations were low. Bartenders we had were nice. If your looking for a good beer and decent pub food it is a good place to stop near the stadium.

Also there are some decent places in Middlesex to eat that are only 10 to 15 minutes from the arena. Piscataway mostly has chain restaurants - hence nothing really special.

Hey all-

Appreciate it!!
Will she at least go with you to half-priced appetizers? If not, that’s a deal breaker

Reactions: SpotsRU
River road is hit or miss on the food. Decent beers as noted. Primarily blue collar friendly crowd

River road is hit or miss on the food. Decent beers as noted. Primarily blue collar friendly crowd
That sounds about right to me. Haven’t done too much with the food part so can’t speak too much to that other than what I had - I will say I was worried when ordering but what I had was okay - quesadillas I think.

Harry is trying to upgrade the beer big time but the locals are a tough crowd for that. But ran into other Rutgers basketball fans before and after games so maybe he can make it work.

Reactions: bethlehemfan
Fountainbleu Diner is my favorite
lol Sorry Chris... can’t think of anything but mall restaurants. I still have family in Piscataway and I can’t think of the last time we ate in town. Haven’t been to Fountainbleu in years - it had declined then but maybe it is good again. If I were going to a diner in the area before the game I’d choose the Somerset Diner on Easton.

lol Sorry Chris... can’t think of anything but mall restaurants. I still have family in Piscataway and I can’t think of the last time we ate in town. Haven’t been to Fountainbleu in years - it had declined then but maybe it is good again. If I were going to a diner in the area before the game I’d choose the Somerset Diner on Easton.

Been there too. I'd put that behind Fountainbleu though. Edison Diner is good on Rt. 18.

Reactions: blueoyster
The best thing to do is to park as soon as you get into Piscataway and walk over to the on-campus diner, Henry’s. You can then leave your doggy bag in your car on the walk back to the arena. Henry’s is actually very good in addition to being by far the most efficient choice. You can live without the bar for one night.

Yes! It has been a local hole for decades you’d never go to. But the owners are trying to bring it to life. They brought in a beer guy so surprising craft beer selection. Finally sat down at the bar before a rutgers basketball game last November. Been back a few times since for beer. Small but starting to get a following other than locals (although there are still plenty). Food was pub food and actually better than I would have guessed, though my expectations were low. Bartenders we had were nice. If your looking for a good beer and decent pub food it is a good place to stop near the stadium.
I usually hit up the River Road Tavern after 18 holes at Rutgers golf course but it wouldn't be the place I would take the girlfriend. Does anyone remember years ago the one wall was a picture of a truck that crashed into the place; talking early 80's

The best thing to do is to park as soon as you get into Piscataway and walk over to the on-campus diner, Henry’s. You can then leave your doggy bag in your car on the walk back to the arena. Henry’s is actually very good in addition to being by far the most efficient choice. You can live without the bar for one night.
You can

Reactions: Ole Cabbagehead
That sounds about right to me. Haven’t done too much with the food part so can’t speak too much to that other than what I had - I will say I was worried when ordering but what I had was okay - quesadillas I think.

Harry is trying to upgrade the beer big time but the locals are a tough crowd for that. But ran into other Rutgers basketball fans before and after games so maybe he can make it work.
Good choice - burgers not too bad either.

I went to the Rutgers Club before the Indiana game. Enjoyed it. In typical Rutgers fashion, they let me make a reservation without asking if I was a member, and I assumed I was fine as an alumnus. Had to sign up and pay for membership on the spot. Bar was gorgeous and food was good though.

Just got this email from The Rutgers Club:

Pregame Buffet vs. Michigan
Join us for a pregame buffet including:
Flank steak,
Salmon,
Lobster Mac and cheese,
Dessert and more!
No event registration needed

If I didn’t get the pre-game Buffet at the RAC through Rutgers, I’d be here!

FYI: Does require a membership though which I have. Beautiful bar. Very good food. Nice events. Worth it for me. Nice place for business lunches if in area!

Go RU!
Diane

Last edited:
Reactions: dkostus
Had to sign up and pay for membership on the spot. Bar was gorgeous and food was good though.
Just got this email from The Rutgers Club...

FYI: Does require a membership though which I have. Beautiful bar. Very good food. Nice events. Worth it for me. Nice place for business lunches if in area!
What’s that set you back these days?

I can remember when it was $25 a year and the membership card was the same one I used at the dining hall as a student.

What’s that set you back these days?

I can remember when it was $25 a year and the membership card was the same one I used at the dining hall as a student.
$100/year. $150 for a couple membership.

Gotta say, the bar is really nice. Think I saw Hobbs and Pernetti there before Indiana game. Like it better than when it was on College Ave, but then again I know longer live on College Ave

Gotta say, the bar is really nice. Think I saw Hobbs and Pernetti there before Indiana game. Like it better than when it was on College Ave, but then again I know longer live on College Ave
That one had the location right but that’s about it. The little house aspect of it was too broken up and compartmentalized IMO. One of the reasons I let mine lapse.

Reactions: dkostus
The saddest thing is the lack of Pizza on Livingston/Piscataway. How could there be no pizza place within 15 minutes of our basketball arena. I’ve had visiting fans who were there early (from Purdue, Wisconsin) ask me where to get a real good slice of New Jersey pizza. After they had already parked at the RAC. I said sorry, try qdoba

The saddest thing is the lack of Pizza on Livingston/Piscataway. How could there be no pizza place within 15 minutes of our basketball arena. I’ve had visiting fans who were there early (from Purdue, Wisconsin) ask me where to get a real good slice of New Jersey pizza. After they had already parked at the RAC. I said sorry, try qdoba

I actually get my pizza in Middlesex lol. Gianni's on Stelton Road in Pway is good.

You just don’t know the landscape then. Fratellis, Panatieris, Giannis.

In my opinion, the bar area seems too much like a hotel bar rather than a country club bar that it should be. Should have much more RU decor and TVs. The bar itself is nice but the space needs some work to make it feel warmer and less institutional.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT