ADVERTISEMENT

Dino Babers surrenders!

GSGS

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 2, 2001
Just watched Pitt beat Syracuse. Pitt, ahead by 21-10, took over on downs with a little over 4 minutes left and was able to run out the clock while 'Cuse coach Dino Babers inexplicably failed to use any of his 3 time outs. TV announcers were dumbfounded, saying that he gave up on his team.

I think that most coaches will be given a bye this year given the COVID situation, but I would not be surprised if Babers enters the hot seat going into next season.

10 points? Can that be accurate? Last week 6 points? It’s year # five for Babers. How can this be? We were told how great their O would be and we were stuck playing “meathead football.” I guess their fans were wrong. Shocking.

Reactions: TRU2RU
BIGRU, maybe just smoke, but this was Fran Browns recent tweet. I am not a twitter translater,but I have been told the orange is Syracuse, 5 is Alijah Clark’s number and 2 is Duce Chestnut.

You have to assume multiple assistant coaches were screaming to him to call timeouts. Could the entire staff have thought this was a good idea to lose like this? What message does that send to current players, recruits, and fans?

Reactions: GSGS
I could understand not using a timeout if you only had one. If you have three timeouts, of course you use them hoping to make the other team punt on the 4th down and little time has gone off the clock
Score, on sides kick. We all know the drill

Reactions: BoogieKnight
If I was a young assistant, I’d go to the AD and tell him I’m leaving immediately Unless you fire the HC tomorrow because my name cannot be associated with a quitter coach like Babers

what a loser

Reactions: redking
Two years ago they finished ranked #14. If Greg had us finish this high in his first 5 years, we would want to keep him forever.

We finished #12 in year 6. And we did keep him. They are backsliding though. I don’t think they will fire Babers in the next 2 years nor should they. But there seem to be some fractures within their program.

We finished #12 in year 6. And we did keep him. They are backsliding though. I don’t think they will fire Babers in the next 2 years nor should they. But there seem to be some fractures within their program.
Yeah for sure, I mean this time around of course.

I would probably not call timeouts either. He is trying to protect his QB's. They are starting a 3 string guard on one side and a TE on the other side. They are going to get the QB killed. 14 sacks given up in two games and it should be more. Its disrupting the whole offense. Their top two RB's opted out too. So they are playing two freshman backs that dont know the line protections.

Reactions: vkj91
I would probably not call timeouts either. He is trying to protect his QB's. They are starting a 3 string guard on one side and a TE on the other side. They are going to get the QB killed. 14 sacks given up in two games and it should be more. Its disrupting the whole offense. Their top two RB's opted out too. So they are playing two freshman backs that dont know the line protections.

So, you are saying that they should probably just forfeit the rest of the season?

I like Dino. Pressure to win football games at SU is not what it is at football schools (unfortunately). I dont expect he will be fired soon

Too bad, so sad. So, guess you are not going to crow about that 10 win season in 2018 any longer?

The backup QB Rex whatever his name is looked light years better than Devito in a small sample.

Reactions: TRU2RU
Too bad, so sad. So, guess you are not going to crow about that 10 win season in 2018 any longer?

The backup QB Rex whatever his name is looked light years better than Devito in a small sample.
Keep in mind that I didn't come on this board during that 10 win season. Also, Rex is a great kid that worked his butt off to defeat cancer. Great person and team mate. We can all learn something from his experience.

Reactions: biker7766
So, you are saying that they should probably just forfeit the rest of the season?
lol, not saying that but they have serious issues up front. They will get one guard back in a few weeks. Those freshman backs are just gonna have to learn on the job. SU can only run half their offense. They can't get a push on run plays and Devito has 2 seconds to throw ( no exaggeration). They can only run half of their offense. Despite the unfortunate injuries I still blame Dino for lack of line development.

Reactions: shields
Keep in mind that I didn't come on this board during that 10 win season. Also, Rex is a great kid that worked his butt off to defeat cancer. Great person and team mate. We can all learn something from his experience.
So will Rex get more playing time? Devito is tough to watch.

So what you’re telling me is they punted from the opponents 37 yard line on 4th and 1? Hmm where have I heard that before ...

loser mentality is entrained in a coach and it doesn’t go away. Barbers had a good team in 2018, but it was really a good QB. Of course they skyrocket up the media poll because half the AP went to Syracuse journalism school.And what was their big reward, the Russell athletic bowl. Been there done that. They are back where they belong, pathetic football. And we got Schiano back. Last laugh will be had soon

ADVERTISEMENT