ADVERTISEMENT

Do kids transferring from FCS (1aa) to FBS need to sit a year?

superfan01

All American
May 29, 2003
what is the rule. And how come there are not more transfers. Has Rutgers ever really had a kid transfer up from 1-aa? I know we have gotten our share of jucos. .

There are definetely kids playing in the 1-aa ranks that either developed late or were overlooked that could contribute and start right away at many 1-a programs. Surprised you don't see more transfers up.

what is the rule. And how come there are not more transfers. Has Rutgers ever really had a kid transfer up from 1-aa? I know we have gotten our share of jucos. .

There are definetely kids playing in the 1-aa ranks that either developed late or were overlooked that could contribute and start right away at many 1-a programs. Surprised you don't see more transfers up.

I think they can play right away.

From the NCAA handbook. Answer is not immediately elig if transferring from FBS to FCS for football.

"One-time transfer exception: If you transfer from a four-year school, you may be immediately eligible to compete at your new school if you meet ALL the following conditions:

• You are transferring to a Division II or III school, or you are transferring to a Division I school in any sport other than baseball, men's or women's basketball, football (Football Bowl Subdivision) or men’s ice hockey. If you are transferring to a Division I school for any of the previously-listed sports, you may be eligible to compete immediately if you were not recruited by your original school and you have never received an athletics scholarship.
  • You are academically and athletically eligible at your previous four-year school.
  • You receive a transfer-release agreement from your previous four-year school.
Waiver: An action that sets aside an NCAA rule because a specific, extraordinary circumstance prevents you from meeting the rule. An NCAA school may file a waiver on your behalf; you cannot file a waiver for yourself. The school does not administer the waiver, the conference office or NCAA does."

Gotta sit.

Other wise the small programs would just be the d league for the ohio states and alabamas.

Thats the whole point of the rule. To prevent top programs from getting players eligible instantly

Reactions: vkj91
Gotta sit.

Other wise the small programs would just be the d league for the ohio states and alabamas.

Thats the whole point of the rule. To prevent top programs from getting players eligible instantly
Exactly. It would kill lower level programs as schools would cherry pick the best players. Then what would stop a school from creating a "JV" team at a branch campus. Penn State could have all freshmen who would redshirt go to Penn State Altoona for a year to red shirt there and then transfer up. If the kid borderline let him play a couple years there. Rutgers could use Rutgers Newark as a "farm team".

I know UNC and NC St. used to stash kids down in Lenoir-Rhyne, Catawba, Gardener-Webb and Elon back in the 80's when they were in NAIA. Spoke to a bunch of them on overnight recruiting trips to a couple of these schools. O and biscuits & gravy , grits should not be apart of every single freaking meal. Real eye opener for a Jersey boy's 1st trip to back woods N. Carolina.

ADVERTISEMENT