ADVERTISEMENT

Do wrestling fans on this board follow high school?

I follow HS Wrestling (and Football as well, used to officiate) , I've been to The Pit a lot of times for Districts . P'burg is loaded, but it's a shame Maso isn't wrestling this year. Glad that Paetzell will be coming to RU. Beast of the East this weekend should be interesting. Also looking forward to Jan 24 when P'burg wrestles Bound Brook . It's amazing how Bergen Catholic and Bosco became wrestling powers in the last few years. i guess they took the formula from the Football coaches and ramped up the recruiting, lol.

All the catholic schools really loaded up Ion recruiting. When I was in hs it was only Blair that recruited in nj.

Yes, it was mentioned, and confirmed on the HS wrestling forums on NJcom (good source of rumor lol) I think Lehigh Valley Live com mentioned it as well in their team capsules. I grew up in Hackettstown , played Football and Baseball, but didn't wrestle. But I followed my buddies who did, and always was at Districts, Regions and sometimes States. I got to know Rick Thompson and Don Jessamine a bit (Jessie in some legal trouble now). Hell, Thad Turner was still coaching first time I went , lol. I think Region 1 up at Walkill Valley is/was best run Region. I think I heard they are moving it to a newer HS gym, but now certain. I think Paeztell should win States this year and Schuitema should/could come close as well.
Originally posted by 32prosper:
Are u sure maso isn't wrestling? I didn't hear that

Wow I'll take your word but I'll need to confirm with another source or two. Nice, don coached me ink elementary school school and Rick my freshman year.

I'm a Gloucester County guy, so I would watch Kingsway/Paulsboro/Clearview. Haven't followed in a couple years though. A competitive high school match, to me, was so much more interesting than pretty much any other sport in high school.

High school matches can be very entertaining. I plan on hitting a couple, pburg v Easton and pburg v bound brook. My work schedule only allows me to make 2 RU matches, psu and minn.

HS fan here, also in Gloucester County, I root for Old Bridge (hometown), Williamstown (live now). And then I root for individuals throughout the state. Been going to States for about the last 28 years.

Bergen Catholic wrestling has been good for years, with several individual state champs and tons of team titles. Bergen is more high profile in recent years with the individual success of Sebastian and now Suriano. Both kids were in the top 5 in their weight nationally all 4 years.

Bosco is a different story. A few of their top guys were multi sport kids in football. Even Chakonis is an above average football player. Bosco's recently found depth is where things get murky. They are putting out a high quality kid at every weight now.

if you want to throw St. Peter's into the conversation, their rise has been longer and perhaps steadier than Bosco's. Their state champs, James Fox and Lenny Richardson, didn't come into the program with the pedigree of a Sebastian or Suriano. Richardson is a Jersey City kid. Fox comes from a family that stresses academics. His senior year season was magical, but pretty unexpected. If you look at the studs on teh SPP roster, you see lots of familial ties to SPP. Not sure it makes it any more "right" than the others, but at least you can point to "so and so's uncle went to SPP in the 80s" as some sort of tie to the school. Not much of that going on at Bosco.

Good input ! SPP has a 160pounder, Manny Ramirez who is from my current town, Cedar Grove, he used to play little league baseball with my son, and I only remember is a chubby little boy, lol Now he is being touted as one of the better 160 pounders in the state ! I hope to catch a SPP match somewhere. A lot of the Catholic kids from our town do the commute to SPP. I'm pretty sure we send more to SPP than Seton Hall Prep which is much closer.

Originally posted by ruhudsonfan:
Bergen Catholic wrestling has been good for years, with several individual state champs and tons of team titles. Bergen is more high profile in recent years with the individual success of Sebastian and now Suriano. Both kids were in the top 5 in their weight nationally all 4 years.

Bosco is a different story. A few of their top guys were multi sport kids in football. Even Chakonis is an above average football player. Bosco's recently found depth is where things get murky. They are putting out a high quality kid at every weight now.

if you want to throw St. Peter's into the conversation, their rise has been longer and perhaps steadier than Bosco's. Their state champs, James Fox and Lenny Richardson, didn't come into the program with the pedigree of a Sebastian or Suriano. Richardson is a Jersey City kid. Fox comes from a family that stresses academics. His senior year season was magical, but pretty unexpected. If you look at the studs on teh SPP roster, you see lots of familial ties to SPP. Not sure it makes it any more "right" than the others, but at least you can point to "so and so's uncle went to SPP in the 80s" as some sort of tie to the school. Not much of that going on at Bosco.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT