ADVERTISEMENT

Do you plan on contributing to a RU NIL collective in the next year?

Have you contributed to a RU NIL collective or do you plan on doing so in the next 12 months?

• Total voters

Morrischiano

All American
Dec 3, 2019
RU alumni have established at least one NIL collective to help pool money to get/retain college athletes. Do you plan on contributing to a RU NIL collective between now and July 2023?
Please feel free to comment on your response.

Last edited:
Frankly I have not and don’t plan on it. I don’t know how to do so, the markets have taken about 10-15% of my net worth and inflation has taken some more.

So a definite no for this year for me.

Absolutely plan to and have already done so

I’ve said it once and I’ll repeat it, NIL isn’t going anywhere

Either we step up as a collective group and get in the race, or it’ll be a steady diet of Pinstripe + Quick Lane bowls for the forseeable future

I simply don't live in a world where the success of a college football team is anywhere on my financial radar. It's a fun 6 or 7 hours on a Saturday, but I don't take it seriously enough to contribute money to it which will take food off my kids' table. The fact that human beings pay children, in some cases millions of dollars, to come to their favorite college and play football tells me how messed up our society is.

No.

While I appreciate that NIL fundamentally changed the landscape and respect athletes taking advantage of the opportunity to get paid, I don’t wish to allocate my donations to payroll. Happy to help fund initiatives with a lasting impact on the schools physical infrastructure, and recognize that less NIL money will equal fewer wins. Not ideal, but can accept that outcome.

maybe, but overall I am not a fan of college sports putting out donation cans in front of every player. The argument seems to be a lot of people are making money so why shouldn't the players, but the fans are the ones spending all the money for the most part one way or another. The equitable distribution of that money is not really my problem.

If we could get Korsak the biggest NIL bundle of any punter this season I might be in.

Should have phrased the question as:
Do you plan on donating money to an entity that will turn around and use those funds to enhance the lives of Rutgers student-athletes?

Then let people twist themselves in knots figuring out if you mean the Athletic Department or the NIL collective.
At least NIL collective accepts optional donations unlike the mandatory "donations" the AD requires.

Do you plan on donating money to an entity that will turn around and use those funds to enhance the lives of Rutgers student-athletes?

Then let people twist themselves in knots figuring out if you mean the Athletic Department or the NIL collective.
At least NIL collective accepts optional donations unlike the mandatory "donations" the AD requires.
This x 10000000

There are plenty of options where you don't have to pay a mandatory "donation". As to ehance the lives of Rutgers student athletes, I've donated plenty already to Rutgers athletics that has enhanced the lives of Rutgers student athletes. I didn't donate to make one kid rich I donated for the benefit of all Rutgers student athletes.

Last edited:
maybe, but overall I am not a fan of college sports putting out donation cans in front of every player. The argument seems to be a lot of people are making money so why shouldn't the players, but the fans are the ones spending all the money for the most part one way or another. The equitable distribution of that money is not really my problem.

If we could get Korsak the biggest NIL bundle of any punter this season I might be in.

Donation cans in front of every player: Bad

Make all the players stand together as a team and then place the donation can in front of them: Good?
https://giving.scarletknights.com/pages/program-support

Oh I think I understand now.
Donation can in front of every player - but remove players name (i.e. endow scholarship): Good. You are literally paying for a student to go to Rutgers to play a sport.
https://support.rutgers.edu/explore-causes/athletics/

Reactions: goru1869
Absolutely plan to and have already done so

I’ve said it once and I’ll repeat it, NIL isn’t going anywhere

Either we step up as a collective group and get in the race, or it’ll be a steady diet of Pinstripe + Quick Lane bowls for the forseeable future
The bolded part is fine for me and a lot of other people.
The lack of tax deduction is one problem for us. We donate quite a bit to athletics already, and the donations are tax deductible. It is part of our larger financial planning/strategy to have the tax deductions. We have family members and children who need financial support who come long before some stranger who might turn out to be a star athlete at Rutgers.

The world is truly losing its way in a lot of areas due to greed and monetization of everything. It started with corporations, and it has infected universities and university athletics.

Last edited:
There are plenty of options where you don't have to pay a mandatory "donation". As to ehance the lives of Rutgers student athletes, I've donated plenty already to Rutgers athletics that has enhanced the lives of Rutgers student athletes. I didn't donate to make one kid rich I donated for the benefit of all Rutgers student athletes.
You said it better than me.

blazing-saddles-slim-pickens.gif

The bolded part is fine for me and a lot of other people.
The lack of tax deduction one problem for us. We donate quite a bit to athletics already, and the donations are tax deductible. It is part of our larger financial planning/strategy to have the tax deductions. We have family members and children who need financial support who come long before some stranger who might turn out to be a star athlete at Rutgers.

The world is truly losing its way in a lot of areas due to greed and monetization of everything. It started with corporations, and it has infected universities and university athletics.
Totally agree KN, the tax portion is making it more difficult and economy isn’t helping

I set aside a certain % per month, but like you life and loved ones always come first

It’ll be interesting to see how it’s regulated moving forward and timeline on that

Reactions: Knight Shift
There are plenty of options where you don't have to pay a mandatory "donation". As to ehance the lives of Rutgers student athletes, I've donated plenty already to Rutgers athletics that has enhance the lives of Rutgers student athletes. I didn't donate to make one kid rich I donated for the benefit of all Rutgers student athletes.

I think "make one kid rich" is a little misplaced considering:

Note - I have no issue with the AD requiring donations or using funds to fly HC Schiano around. Spend more money on flying HC Schiano around.
Just don't understand the hard line people draw between donating to the AD and donating to an NIL collective.

The "tax deduction" item above from @Knight Shift probably the best reason I've seen someone mention.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Donation cans in front of every player: Bad

Make all the players stand together as a team and then place the donation can in front of them: Good?
https://giving.scarletknights.com/pages/program-support

Oh I think I understand now.
Donation can in front of every player - but remove players name (i.e. endow scholarship): Good. You are literally paying for a student to go to Rutgers to play a sport.
https://support.rutgers.edu/explore-causes/athletics/
right- I'm not going to make an NIL donation to every player I root for - I root for all of them mostly. I'll support teams and programs to improve facilities, etc. I'm not going to get into chasing players with NIL money who may or may not head for the portal.

I simply don't live in a world where the success of a college football team is anywhere on my financial radar. It's a fun 6 or 7 hours on a Saturday, but I don't take it seriously enough to contribute money to it which will take food off my kids' table. The fact that human beings pay children, in some cases millions of dollars, to come to their favorite college and play football tells me how messed up our society is.

To me......."How messed up society is" is just an excuse.

Most people in this country pay for other things that might potentially take food off their kids table in order to help boost their own personal comfort & entertainment. Bigger houses, more expensive cars, more lavish vacations, high ticket prices, greener lawns, more expensive restaurants & meals, for concerts & entertainment venues....etc.

It's really about people's own personal priorities in terms of how they want to spend their money.

No.

While I appreciate that NIL fundamentally changed the landscape and respect athletes taking advantage of the opportunity to get paid, I don’t wish to allocate my donations to payroll. Happy to help fund initiatives with a lasting impact on the schools physical infrastructure, and recognize that less NIL money will equal fewer wins. Not ideal, but can accept that outcome.
Exactly this. Paying for infrastructure is one thing. Paying for players is another entirely and I want no part of it. If we are now in a world where the only way to sustain a top-level program is for the fans to pay the players, then let the entire thing burn.

Reactions: bac2therac
Yikes, the poll results and some comments in this thread is exhibit A on why our recruiting is where it’s at.

Cant have a top 25 class without being competitive in the NIL space.

Note - I have no issue with the AD requiring donations or using funds to fly HC Schiano around. Spend more money on flying HC Schiano around.
Just don't understand the hard line people draw between donating to the AD and donating to an NIL collective.

The "tax deduction" item above from @Knight Shift probably the best reason I've seen someone mention.
Ok that's great and that $100 mil. will be allocated to enhancing the student athlete experience at Rutgers. They're not pocketing the money it'll be spent on reducing the subsidy, infrastructure, better services and coaching to help the athletes. It says so right in the BTN agreement. You're not allowed to pull a Temple.

There's only 20 to 25 schools which consistently make money at this, Rutgers isn't one of them. You seem to think Rutgers is flush with cash in the athletic department but it's not. $100 mil. sounds great till you take expenditures into account. Guess what, doesn't cover it. Plus we're so far behind in the infrastructure department even with that it'll take a decade or more to start breaking even.

End of day it’s about priorities. The level it takes to get a consistent top notch fb program and athletic dept requires significant commitment

I don’t give what I can to Rutgers as they’re my 2nd favorite team and I allocate most to FSU - however, I give a fair amount to them and would love to see them get into the upper echelon of the B1G and college fb

We have the potential to get there, but it remains to be seen if we will

Yes, I have already signed up for the $10 monthly(for now) with KTR and it's only $10 because I'm currently in grad school and don't have that much income coming in

If you don't donate already to athletics and still responded no to this question then you're part of the problem

Reactions: rutgersfan1766
And there is the problem with the NIL. Now the players are getting paid, while the facilities fall apart and/or don't get built.
I wouldn’t go that far, but the truth is that there has been crazy overspending on college athletics facilities. No need for a new locker room every 3 years.

I want to spend my money on something that is actually going to move the needle and has immediate impact. We need better players now, not 10 years down the road when a field house is built.

Reactions: Plum Street

The travel is operations of the program. It not like you are donating for him to fly to the Caribbean on vacation. I trust the athletic department to better manage the money then some kid.

I am not donating money for a 19 year to buy weed, drive a G-wagon to campus or buy his baby momma Gucci. I don’t care to to see any football team win that bad.

I supported the NIL rights for players. However it should be at market rate. This donate to a collective is BS. If they want to monetize their YouTube page then fine. They want to sign autographs at the mall that fine. They want to put their name on jersey and sell that is fine. As long as they are really contributing to it.

And there is the problem with the NIL. Now the players are getting paid, while the facilities fall apart and/or don't get built.

None of the $100 million a year in media rights would go towards any of that?
The basic argument against NIL seems to always be “the AD is so poor at financial management they need every single possible dollar just to keep the lights on. Zero extra can go towards players directly.”

Economy tougher for some others. I contribute, by paying my taxes which go to fund state and public universities and schools. The NIL was a concept that got a lot of public pressure to be put into motion without understanding the full consequences of what it will do to recruitment, potential corruption (which existed before, I know) and the fact that a scholarship is a formidable amount of revenue that is given to a player to begin with. Lot more aggressive research should have went into this... as it is and reamins a point of controversy.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
I support Rutgers Athletics by purchasing tickets, parking, and mandatory donations. That is all.

There are other causes, including unrestricted University donations, which are much more important to me.

If that makes me a bad fan, or as has been suggested "part of the problem", so be it.

RU alumni have established at least one NIL collective to help pool money to get/retain college athletes. Do you plan on contributing to a RU NIL collective between now and July 2023?
Please feel free to comment on your response.
Amazing how fast we went from “facilities” like a new field house to buying a player a Lexus.

Reactions: goru1869
I've earmarked my 2 KTR monthly contributions to the same two teams I donate to through RFund. And it's not FB or MBB.

I got FB, MBB, Wrestling tickets and parking too.

Those who complain the loudest donate the least. Those who donate the most complain the least.

Reactions: Scarlet83
Just make sure you don’t complain when we lose or miss out on a recruit
I won't. I am happy to donate to several Olympic RU programs year after year. I know where the funds are going because I speak to the coaches. That's what works for me. I never complain about a single recruit. If they don't want to come here, someone else of high quality is waiting for the opportunity. Thanks. $$$$

Reactions: LETSGORU91
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT