ADVERTISEMENT

Does 2 loss Georgia belong in Playoffs?

OldManRiver

All Conference
Apr 3, 2002
Does winning your conference championship mean anything?
Oklahoma and OSU could be outside looking in. ESPN hacks are already writing the narrative Alabama and Georgia being in playoffs.
My confidence in playoffs are waning by thread.

Yes but it should be an 8 team playoff. They would blow out ND and possibly Clemson. The 4 team playoff sucks, especially with ND in it this year.

I agree...I'm in favor of 8 team playoff...until they try and get 3 SEC teams in.
Don't get started on why ND is in...their schedule didn't turn out to be as difficult as they thought.

Regardless of conference, are they one of the 4 best teams in the country?
Thats all that should matter.

8 team playoff would be good - that is generally the top tier of teams each year.

How come nobody asks if the #6 team in the Big Ten deserves to play for a basketball championship?
Need to shrink that tournament.
Talk about a meaningless regular season.

If they put in a 2 loss, non champion team over 1 loss champions i think college football would suffer for a long time. 3 conferences left out wouldn't go over well.

I also think ND should be in. Undefeated with a P5 schedule. No brainer.

Regardless of conference, are they one of the 4 best teams in the country?
Thats all that should matter.

8 team playoff would be good - that is generally the top tier of teams each year.

How come nobody asks if the #6 team in the Big Ten deserves to play for a basketball championship?
Need to shrink that tournament.
Talk about a meaningless regular season.

But not a conference champion...they shouldn't have 2 chances to beat Alabama...they had their chance....I frankly would like to see another team try

I agree...I'm in favor of 8 team playoff...until they try and get 3 SEC teams in.
Don't get started on why ND is in...their schedule didn't turn out to be as difficult as they thought.
No big issue if one conf takes all the at larges. All teams already had their playoff chance. Don’t want to be subjected to a political or beauty contest? Then win your conf.

And I could care less about conference-less or G5 teams. Do the undefeated FCS teams get to be in as well? Did the undefeated USFL team get to be in the NFL playoffs? Play in a big boy conf if you want to play in the big boy playoffs.

If they put in a 2 loss, non champion team over 1 loss champions i think college football would suffer for a long time. 3 conferences left out wouldn't go over well.

I also think ND should be in. Undefeated with a P5 schedule. No brainer.

What about UCF then?

as good as Georgia is, they should be out now...
Oklahoma, OSU, probably one of those two should make it

we could argue that Georgia is better than either, but we will never know because they cannot meet..... so we should look at the ending records, and two losses is one too many anyway

also, the playoff is there to generate interest, a rematch between two teams takes a little bit away
from the interest, IMO....would rather have two teams that look good right now, play

Last edited:
Reactions: OldManRiver
lets see... people want Georgia in because they played a top 4 team well for a half..and LOST.
But OSU led #4 Michigan the entire game and WON?
that makes zero sense for Georgia to be in over OSU.
It will come down to Oklahoma vrs OSU.

Reactions: newell138
Yes but it should be an 8 team playoff. They would blow out ND and possibly Clemson. The 4 team playoff sucks, especially with ND in it this year.
+1
Georgia is probably the second best team this year, but I'm fine with them being out. Alabama just beat them and they shouldn't have to beat them a second time for the NC.

Reactions: OldManRiver
The 8 team playoff would be ridiculous. 3 weeks of surviving brutality?

This would give the advantage to elite teams as they are the only ones that have depth to make it through that many post season games.

Look at UCF. One player down and their team is a shell of it self. Bama loses their QB, they insert the next 5 star backup. (See: Yesterday)

Lets not forger we are Rutgers. Even when we were good if Ray Rice was out we would be doomed those years.

4 teams is fine. You had an entire season to prove yourself. If you had 8 teams people would be crying for a 16 team playoff.

This would give the advantage to elite teams as they are the only ones that have depth to make it through that many post season games.

Look at UCF. One player down and their team is a shell of it self. Bama loses their QB for a quarter, they insert the next 5 star backup.

Lets not forger we are Rutgers. Even when we were good if Ray Rice was out we would be doomed those years.

4 teams is fine. You had an entire season to prove yourself.

If you had 8 teams people would be crying for a 16 team playoff.
Completely agree. The first round of an 8 team playoff would be pathetic. If UCF wants to get in, play some real teams.

I think you play for championships on the field. If you don’t win your conference, you’re out. It shouldn’t be a beauty contest.

Reactions: ScarletDave
I think you play for championships on the field. If you don’t win your conference, you’re out. It shouldn’t be a beauty contest.
The only way to do that fairly is to have no out of conference games and a completely identical schedule for all conference teams, which is essentially impossible.

The only way to do that fairly is to have no out of conference games and a completely identical schedule for all conference teams, which is essentially impossible.
I don’t think that’s necessary. The way conference champs happen now is fine....just conference games count. Full schedule can help determine seeds.

4 teams is fine. You had an entire season to prove yourself. If you had 8 teams people would be crying for a 16 team playoff.
Maybe but I don't think nearly as much. Right now every season at least one P5 is out and sometimes more, so that in itself creates an issue. Plus with 8 you're likely getting most of the teams deserving of a shot...16 would just be overkill.

5 P5 champs, highest P5, and 2 at large

they played and beat #24 Cincinatti
They had UNC as game #2 of season but because of Hurricane it was cancelled.
I don't see Cincinnati ranked in the top 25 of any poll. Playing 2-10 UNC wouldn't have helped their resume.

Reactions: fsg2
I don’t think that’s necessary. The way conference champs happen now is fine....just conference games count. Full schedule can help determine seeds.
So if a team loses bad OOC games, has an easy unbalanced conference schedule and sneaks into the conference championship game, and wins one big game all year gets into the playoffs? Think if NW beat OSU, they were ranked 24th. Don't care if the won the B1G championship, they didn't deserve to be in the NC playoffs (even if it was 8 teams).

No, not under the current structure. There are 3 undefeated P5 teams and 2 1 loss Conference Champions. While Georgia may very well be one of the 4 best teams in the country, via the eyes test, selection should not be a subjective Beauty Contest. Selecting Georgia today would set an ugly precedence for the committee.
Hoping one day we move to an 8 teams Playoffs. Would much rather debate Teams 7 and 8 with little probability of beating the top teams in the country instead of the top 3-4 teams in the country.

Since they do like to make it subjective then just go back to the bowl games and pick "the best 2" for a nat championship game.

Unless they go to 8 , 5 conf. Champions plus 3 at large...this will never be right. And I don't know how you add in another round of games without taking away the conf championships.

Completely agree. The first round of an 8 team playoff would be pathetic. If UCF wants to get in, play some real teams.
Why would it be pathetic? Last year Ped State was #8

8 team playoff is never going to happen. Thank goodness. No need to see Alabama put up 60 against UCF or Washington.
It’s not only going to happen it’s going to happen soon. Last year Alabama lost to #10 Auburn. You should actually watch games

8 team playoff is never going to happen. Thank goodness. No need to see Alabama put up 60 against UCF or Washington.
You know Saban isn't going to be around forever.....I'd love to see an underdog take on a favorite and see if they could knock them off. UCF beat Auburn...other G5 teams have beaten P5 teams...Alabama under Saban is an exception many other P5 teams could lose in any given year.

It would be nice to see that cinderella glass slipper of the NCAA tourney be inserted into college football.

It’s not only going to happen it’s going to happen soon. Last year Alabama lost to #10 Auburn. You should actually watch games
Alabama under Saban is an exception and even he doesn't go undefeated every year. I would love to see a worthy G5 in the playoffs along with other wildcards worthy teams....sure the G5 may lose in the first game often but so what that cinderella effect would be fun.

Here you go from Pete Thamel. Like I said I don't know when but some time in the future I'd expect it to expand.

Pete Thamel‏Verified account@PeteThamel 10m10 minutes ago
The Pac-12 has been irrelevant since October. The Big Ten champ will get left out three straight years. The Big 12 is uneasy. Could there be CFP change? Sources say this season "invites an inquiry" for expansion conversation.

Excerpts from the article:

Could an examination be following for a system that in many ways was set up to fail? After all, four spots for five power conferences never felt like math that would work in the long-term. And the friction heading into college football’s version of Selection Sunday is the most tense in any of the years, clearly trumping the decision in 2014 when Ohio State nudged out TCU and Baylor for the final spot.

Is the timing right for change in the big picture? There are certainly signs. The College Football Playoff is, in essence, a 12-year television contract with ESPN. (And we’ll be clear, no one wants a bigger playoff more than ESPN, which overpaid for the original at $5.6 billion.)

Next year is Year 6 of 12 for the CFP, and veteran television officials familiar with these types of contracts told Yahoo Sports that it’s likely that a “look-in” after six years would be written into the contract. That essentially doubles as an invite for re-examination.

Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany has always been a playoff wet blanket. He and Big 12’s Bob Bowlsby represent both of the sport’s old guard. In conversations with officials around the sport on Saturday night, the notion of a leadership change needed to be made in order for there to be changes in the playoff format was dismissed.

https://sports.yahoo.com/georgia-making-playoff-big-deal-future-college-football-053905948.html

Look at UCF. One player down and their team is a shell of it self. Bama loses their QB, they insert the next 5 star backup. (See: Yesterday)

Isn't that what the playoffs are for?...to find the best team out there?
We don't need to tilt the playing because some teams don't recruit like the others. Non-elites can build depth too.

Does winning your conference championship mean anything?
Oklahoma and OSU could be outside looking in. ESPN hacks are already writing the narrative Alabama and Georgia being in playoffs.
My confidence in playoffs are waning by thread.

They did make the Playoffs...... a 5 team playoff and just lost. Now we are down to four. Next....

Reactions: Yeah Baby
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT